• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Looking For a Good Way To Record Matches

mrevan387

Smash Rookie
Hello, i have been playing for about 6 months and i want to start recording my matches so i can see where i can better myself. I was wondering if anyone can help me in deciding what to purchase in order to record my matches. I dont know what information you need to know to help me but, i use 20xx, my crt has only 1 set of yellow red white inputs, and I have a computer very close to my setup. I also could use a gamecube with melee if i have to.

Thanks

ItsChon

Smash Apprentice
If you want to record matches, do they have to be using an emulator/Wii? I play Melee on a GameCube. Any easy way to record that?

Vorde

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Vorde
3DS FC
4613-7807-1976
The way my setup at home works is this Wii > Component Cable > Avermedia LiveGamerPortable > USB to computer to record or stream, also HDMI coming out of LGP into my BenQ Gaming Monitor. Works quite well although voltage changes causes blackouts on the monitor from the LGP :(

mrevan387

Smash Rookie
so if i buy 2 sets of the splitters, I would be able to run the video through one of them and it works? the red and white color dont mean anything? and what about input lag would that become an issue?

BBOY15

Smash Apprentice
Recording matches is tricky. I tried and failed for over a year to figure out how to record Melee. Wasted a lot of money on equipment, and time. I came extremely close but ultimately failed. The recommended way to record and play on your TV at the same time seems to be by using an electronic signal splitting box, however I do not trust these as far as input lag goes. So I got some splitters. Using these, I was able to split my gamecube's signal and have one set of cables going into my computer (via a capture device) and the other going into the TV. But when I connected the gamecube to the TV and my capture device at the same time, the TV got darker. So dark that it made playing extremely annoying. My TV was already on max brightness so there was nothing I could do.

Actually, I forget if I tried it with the Wii or the Gamecube but I don't think it would matter.

Kadano

Magical Express
Yeah, Wii/GC makes no difference for that problem. The cheapest solutions I know of for “lagless” playing and recording in high quality and brightness would set you back at least 150$, and I’m gonna assume that you don’t want to spend that much until you tell me otherwise.

Vorde

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Vorde
3DS FC
4613-7807-1976
It’s actually the Wii’s fault, lol. The Wii’s video output sucks.
Any ideas if you could add capacitors to the output and have that fix it, or maybe get better component cables?

ItsChon

Smash Apprentice
Bro, just do it like how the real men do. (Force your friend to record your match on their cellphone.)

Kadano

Magical Express
Any ideas if you could add capacitors to the output and have that fix it, or maybe get better component cables?
The black screen problem is likely due to bad software implementation of Wii video logic that outputs occasional interlaced frames even when in progressive video mode. I don’t think you can make capacitors convert an interlaced frame to progressive.
Component cable choice hardly matters since the main cause of the problem is inside the Wii, earlier in the signal chain. Additionally to the aforementioned problem, even when the Wii is not doing silly interlaced stuff, its component video output is of inferior quality to the Gamecube’s, likely to a lower quality DAC chip being used.

Vorde

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Vorde
3DS FC
4613-7807-1976
Bro, just do it like how the real men do. (Force your friend to record your match on their cellphone.)
I did that before I had this setup and it looked like crap. 30fps doesn't cut it.
And so basically to fix this, not only would I have to get rid of 20xx, but I'd also have to spend like $200 on a Gamecube Component Cable? :( The screen blackouts seems related to changes though. Quite often if someone plugs in their controller, or I unplug something from USB on my computer, the screen goes black for 5 seconds or so. Pretty annoying in the middle of a hype match :(

Kadano

Magical Express
I did that before I had this setup and it looked like crap. 30fps doesn't cut it.
And so basically to fix this, not only would I have to get rid of 20xx, but I'd also have to spend like $200 on a Gamecube Component Cable? :( The screen blackouts seems related to changes though. Quite often if someone plugs in their controller, or I unplug something from USB on my computer, the screen goes black for 5 seconds or so. Pretty annoying in the middle of a hype match :(
In that case, you have another independent problem going on, probably with the electricity, yes. Some of my electronics are similarly sensitive, although not quite as much (for example, my Sony PVM and Denon amplifier black out / go silent for one second sometimes when a >60W power consuming device is turned on or off. I think my house’s electricty is at fault, but admittedly I have not tested out other locations—carrying a 30 kg PVM around is not among the greatest joys in my life).

Still, even when you get the power problem solved out, it’s somewhat likely that the Wii irregularity will keep causing occasional seconds of black screens. Iirc, there are a few monitors that can somehow deal with the interlaced frame, but I didn’t bookmark those findings since none of the setups I have or want to use involve digital monitors.

Buying a Sony PVM might be an easy and somewhat cheap (depending on the signal support and size you are aiming for) solution for you, as they all have amplified pass-through outputs you can connect to your capture device.

Last edited:

Vorde

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Vorde
3DS FC
4613-7807-1976
I have been after a Sony PVM for like 10+ years, they are impossible to find here in my small city. RGB is what i'm after lol. But yeah I figured the BenQ gaming monitors could deal with something like that.

Kadano

Magical Express
I have been after a Sony PVM for like 10+ years, they are impossible to find here in my small city. RGB is what i'm after lol. But yeah I figured the BenQ gaming monitors could deal with something like that.
In that case, you could go the slightly more complicated route (which ended up being my preferred setup, and I have a 20" 480p RGB / YPbPr capable PVM as a secondary setup, so my standards aren’t exactly low).

Wii VGA cables (20$) → Extron 164xi (30$) → 5BNC (RGBHV) to VGA (D-Sub HD15) cables (5$ each) → CRT PC monitor (0-20$) and StarTech PEXHDCAP capture card (120$), for a total of 180$.

The Extron 164xi improves the Wii video’s sync levels and distributes it to three outputs (two 5BNC and one VGA analog RGB outputs). It’s lag is negligible (0.1 ms or less, probably).

Consider that most CRT PC monitors don’t have speakers (and if they do, their audio quality is usually abysmal), so I recommend adding in a decent speaker system.

Last edited:

Vorde

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Vorde
3DS FC
4613-7807-1976
I might migrate to that in the future, but I'll stick with my LGP for the next little while

Vorde

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Vorde
3DS FC
4613-7807-1976
In Regards to Avermedia LGP:

The issue is with the component adapter/analogue signal

Buy a component to HDMI converter (like the neyoya, sewell)
https://sewelldirect.com/Wii-to-HDMI-Converter.asp
http://www.neoya.com/wii2hdmi

then go
Wii > Hdmi Converter > LGP > TV
Stops all blackout issues.
When you start to introduce those other converters you add more lag to the setup, and I already feel like it's close to not acceptable at the moment when I play in comparison to a CRT

Thrill

Smash Rookie
Just signed up to add some discussion to the LGP Component > HDMI stuff.

I remember getting one of these on release and had a blackout within 3 minutes of first using the card with the Wii. At the time there was nobody who really had one so I thought it was my setup (was being powered via PC).

I don't think you can blame the Wii's output as the Elgato has never blacked out for me with the same setup. Using something like the Neoya is okay I guess but mines has developed this really weird fault where it starts out fine but the brightness will gradually increase to a point where it's bad to look at (over a period of 5 minutes).

Vorde

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Vorde
3DS FC
4613-7807-1976
nah, you're dreaming. it's fine.

it's 10ms with a decent monitor. nothing you could ever notice.
Scientific studies have shown that some people can notice input lag as low as 3.2ms
Anyways I'm not here to argue, just saying that I notice the difference between my monitor and CRT but within minutes I get used to it and it's fine. I'm just worried about having too much.
Has anyone figured out a way around the blackouts?
Does the Neoya have a lot of input lag or blackouts? I'm thinking I could just run a Neoya converter into an HDMI splitter, then from HDMI splitter into BenQ Monitor and other end into my LGP and record/stream from there. Any thoughts? I'm a bit upset since it makes me feel like I wasted close to $200 for the LGP :(

Narpas_sword

Scientific studies have shown that some people can notice input lag as low as 3.2ms
Anyways I'm not here to argue, just saying that I notice the difference between my monitor and CRT but within minutes I get used to it and it's fine. I'm just worried about having too much.
Has anyone figured out a way around the blackouts?
Does the Neoya have a lot of input lag or blackouts? I'm thinking I could just run a Neoya converter into an HDMI splitter, then from HDMI splitter into BenQ Monitor and other end into my LGP and record/stream from there. Any thoughts? I'm a bit upset since it makes me feel like I wasted close to $200 for the LGP :(
1. What studies?
2. yes, as i said, converting to hdmi and not using the LGP hdmi is the way to avoid blackouts.
3. Nothing noticeable. at all.
4. yea, it's a waste of money, the LGP is a pos. =(

For some anecdotal evidence, which, i know, doesn't count for much. but whatever.

The first thing i did when i plugged in my new setup LGP and neoya -> Benq, was try to superwave dash.
If you dont know, that's two back to back single frame windows.
I did 5 in a row, straight off the bat.

Vorde

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Vorde
3DS FC
4613-7807-1976
1. What studies?
2. yes, as i said, converting to hdmi and not using the LGP hdmi is the way to avoid blackouts.
3. Nothing noticeable. at all.
4. yea, it's a waste of money, the LGP is a pos. =(

For some anecdotal evidence, which, i know, doesn't count for much. but whatever.

The first thing i did when i plugged in my new setup LGP and neoya -> Benq, was try to superwave dash.
If you dont know, that's two back to back single frame windows.
I did 5 in a row, straight off the bat.
Thanks for the help dude. It was a study relating to Virtual Reality on Gizmodo, I don't have a link right now, I'm at work.
Also if you convert using Neoya, and run the HDMI through the HDMI IN and then HDMI OUT on LGP, the LGP doesn't introduce blackouts like going from Component to HDMI? Sorry I just want to make sure I do this right this time instead of wasting more freaking money

Narpas_sword

Ah well, if you remember the article, i'd like to read it =)

My setup is Wii -> Hdmi Converter _> HDMI Cable -> LGP -> HDMI Cable-> Monitor (-> aux out, speakers).

There is a problem though, and im not sure what it is, but one of the HDMI converters doesnt mix with the LGP well. The LGP doesnt get the sound.

The converter works alone (Wii, Hdmi Monitor) but as soon as the LGP is in there, no sound gets passed.
The other converter works fine though =/

Going to hit neoya / avermedia up about it.

Like you, i've spend too much money on the LGP for it to not do anything its supposed to.
(it doesn't record widescreen formats either, their software is junk)

TBH. If you can return the LGP, do it.

Vorde

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Vorde
3DS FC
4613-7807-1976
Ah well, if you remember the article, i'd like to read it =)

My setup is Wii -> Hdmi Converter _> HDMI Cable -> LGP -> HDMI Cable-> Monitor (-> aux out, speakers).

There is a problem though, and im not sure what it is, but one of the HDMI converters doesnt mix with the LGP well. The LGP doesnt get the sound.

The converter works alone (Wii, Hdmi Monitor) but as soon as the LGP is in there, no sound gets passed.
The other converter works fine though =/

Going to hit neoya / avermedia up about it.

Like you, i've spend too much money on the LGP for it to not do anything its supposed to.
(it doesn't record widescreen formats either, their software is junk)

TBH. If you can return the LGP, do it.
I never used their Recording software, it's abysmal. Slowed my computer down a lot on a AMD Quadcore at 3.4GHz with 8GB and a Radeon 7970. I use XSplit and it works fine.
What converter do you use that works fine? Is it the Neoya or a different one?

Narpas_sword

no idea what the one that works fine is, it was a mates he ordered from ebay. just called wii2hdmi. I'm going to order a sewell one soon and hope that works (either way ill use it, have 3 wiis at the moment)

Mwauthzyx

Smash Apprentice
If you're running an older version of Windows, get a Dazzle DVC 100 and some splitters as that would be the cheapest way to record.
If you're running a newer version of Windows, get a Hauppauge HD PVR and record with composite. This is more expensive but it's the best way to do it on a newer version of Windows.

Narpas_sword

Following up:

I ordered one of these: to try
http://www.ebay.com/itm/White-Wii-t...Converter-Adapter-For-Game-Play-/141643046867

It's main issue is that it is a lot darker than the others (and component) but tv settings can fix that.
Unlike the other adapters i've tried, this one doesnt have small black bars down the side, widescreen is full.
It also carries sound through the LGP correctly.

best result so far out of the 3 ive tried.

Top Bottom