• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Looking for explanation of Sonic's down-B

Fortune

Smash Journeyman
Hi all,

Could someone please give me a crash course on the properties and practical applications (including followups) of sonic's down-b? I started using the character a few weeks ago, and this is the biggest aspect that I don't understand. A specific question as well: I see wizzrobe down-B, turnaround, and do a back air. Is this one of the best followups?

Thanks

Star ☆

No Problem!
NNID
Autumnflow
For starters @ Fortune Fortune , Sonic's down special can either be released from one charge or many charges, it automatically releases after approximately 1 and a half seconds if you maintain a fast speed of mashing. The number of times you mash determines the speed of the spin charge. You can also b reverse the spin charge. This is what the charging animation looks like.

The charge up has a hitbox that continously applies hits and can draw opponents in if they don't SDI properly. The released spin charge has a continuous hitbox that deals good setup knockback to opponents under 100% (once you get past 100% it's very difficult to land followups after spins) If you pull the other direction on the stick you will enter the turn around animation which has a seperate hitbox, if you do this on an opponent's shield that means 3-4 hits of pressure on the shield.

Sonic will continue to move to the right a bit before he accelerates in the other direction. You have two followups from a spin charge; a jump or a cancel.

Jump Cancel

Press any jump button or up on the stick to leap out out of the grounded animation into a special spin charge jump animation.

This has its own special hitbox that can follow people up in the air for a secondary hit which can often lead into aerials for a kill. For example here's a combo I landed the other day:

The Skid Cancel

The cancel cannot be used out of a turn around and I find it a bit useless in most situations as a jump is usually safer but never the less its an option. Hit a shield button to enter a skid animation and quickly stop the spin charge.

Shield Pressure

Good shield strings are usually followed up from a turnaround spin charge the a jump cancel into an aerial, you can use this as a bail strategy or apply more pressure. I generally follow up with a dair from a turnaround but position myself in a way that I cannot be grabbed after the string. This is still risky however and can be interrupted midway. I wouldn't say that down special is the best choice for shield pressure, unless you charge it initially on the shield, I'd be looking more at the Somersault (side special) for large amounts of shield pressure.

Kill Combos
At low percents Sonic can link lots of things from spin charge. Generally a hit > turnaround > jump > aerial hitbox hits > aerial is the way to follow up. At mid percents the aerial hitbox will often not hit or hit the opponent too far way for a followup, in these situations I'd usually advise you to go for a kill move prior to hitting the aerial hitbox of the spin or go for a spring > aerial followup after the hit. At high percents Sonic has a lot of trouble landing anything out of spin charge. You have limited options here and the most reliable setup is simply spin charge > nair which works at most percents provided the nair comes out instantly after you hit with the spin.

Spinshot

You should also be aware of the spinshot, which is, funnily enough, an advanced technique from Sonic speedrunning that has made it into Project M somehow. Hit down special in the air then instantly cancel it into a double jump. This is a long distance recovery option which can also be used for followups from grabs or aerials.

(Note that it goes further than this, I just took the screenshot here to illustrate where the jump begins.)

I hope this helps, I've been playing Sonic for 10 months now and have gotten some consistently good places in tournament so I have faith you can find some valid points in this post. Hope to see you around.

Last edited:

jtm94

Smash Lord
Can I ask about the best way to SDI Spin Dash at high %?
I have been training against a Sonic main for the past few months and I've just accepted it usually works. In reading your explanation you say it has good follow-ups at low % and non at high % while in my experience it seems the other way around. In my months of playing I've tried to escape Spin Dashes once I get to high %, but it drags me along so well holding a simple direction has never saved me. Do I need to just SDI fast and hard? Or is there a key direction to escape the jump into nair?

Star ☆

No Problem!
NNID
Autumnflow
Can I ask about the best way to SDI Spin Dash at high %?
I have been training against a Sonic main for the past few months and I've just accepted it usually works. In reading your explanation you say it has good follow-ups at low % and non at high % while in my experience it seems the other way around. In my months of playing I've tried to escape Spin Dashes once I get to high %, but it drags me along so well holding a simple direction has never saved me. Do I need to just SDI fast and hard? Or is there a key direction to escape the jump into nair?
You're probably thinking of side b, the Somesault, that move is the one that drags you along. Spin Charge hits you once and hits you away. Are you playing Game and Watch? What moves is this Sonic player generally linking into from Somersault?

jtm94

Smash Lord
Nah, Spin Dash. My training partner is a Sonic main and I've been facing him for months, it was a bad move of me to never look into the flaws of spin dash sooner. For me when I am at high % as GnW, Sheik, or Zelda it ALWAYS leads into an aerial that KOs me or leaves me offstage disadvantaged. This is not me complaining, just explaining what happens. Is it the jumping that leads into the aerial and not the spindash itself?

It would be nice to know how to escape SideB if that is also possible. I get dragged along more when I'm fastfallers or so it feels for SideB, but sometimes when I get hit by it I SDI behind him and get out or even SDI down and tech. This is getting away from the topic of DownB, however, and I can take this into the discussion/social/MU thread if wanted.

Last edited:
Top Bottom