• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Louie's Notes-Olimar Q&A Thread!!

zyth

Smash Lord
Is it possible for Oli to whistle (ie whistle properly so he doesn't take knockback) AND SDI the same move? Like, if he were offstage against an MK and he whistled a SL, would he be able to SDI closer to the stage as well?
Does the hitlag of a whistled move depend on the hitlag of the move itself? Or will Oli suffer the same hitlag regardless of whether he gets hit by an MK dair or a Falcon knee?
pretty sure his lag depends on the hit lag of the move. take the diff between gettin jabbed by someone and getting hit by marths final smash as an exaple. the lag from marths final smash is tremendous and so is olis whistle lag when he super armors it.

Latch

Smash Apprentice
Would like to remind everybody that the other important part of that question was whether or not you could SDI whilst in whistle lag (i.e. is it actually hitlag). I would like to know this too, would be very useful.

Dnyce

Smash Master
Ya'll trying to complicate the game too much, lol.

Why is knowing whether or not you can SDI whistle helpful?

Dnyce

Smash Master
why don't you think about positioning before you need to whistle... so that where you are after whistle isn't an issue.

BSL

B-B-B-BLAMM!!!
NNID
bsl883
3DS FC
3308-4560-2744
I'm just saying...

You can't always be perfectly positioned, so after you make a mistake and get hit, you can reposition yourself and recover from your mistake faster.

So does anyone know?

:phone:

Sky Pirate

The best defense is a lot of frigging healing
NNID
SkyPirateCoud
3DS FC
1590-4884-8497
All right, let's holster our mouths.
You can't SDI during the hitlag of a super armored move.

Dnyce

Smash Master
All right, let's holster our mouths.
You can't SDI during the hitlag of a super armored move.
Dang, so you're saying... all that time people spent crying over whether or not you could SDI w/ whistle could've been better spent taking my advice instead? :awesome:

swag

Sky Pirate

NNID
SkyPirateCoud
3DS FC
1590-4884-8497
I thought I was saying that it would have been less complicated if you had just given a simple "yes", "no", or "I don't know" when you originally questioned their motives.

Putting that aside, how is PS2 as a counterpick against Marth?
I get this feeling that it might be a good stage against him, but I never get to take them there.

Dnyce

Smash Master
The ground phase isn't too bad, we can't really camp... but marth has trouble getting in aside from using the slopes as a mix-up approach. The electric phase is a forced stall as well (more or less). You have to hold your ground in the middle or just wait out the transformation if you get on the sides (don't try to force your way back in). The air is amazing. Marth can't use his aerial pressure effectively, so just watch that you don't get to close to the edge of the stage. The ice phase isn't too bad so long as you don't try to grab... also don't usmash oos unless you were running before blocking - the Ice increases shield slide. The other way to look at it... fair on block is a lot safer vs standing opponents... but not so much if they were dashing before. Our pivot animation is also long as **** on ice, so remember to jump cancel it if you notice you're caught in the lag. The ice can really screw over marth's spacing if they're not used to it (since they slide a lot more during jump-squat), but that's not something you should rely on when CP'ing really, haha.

zyth

Smash Lord
On the ice part of Ps2 no matter how far away someone is when oli pivot grabs them he can still do a grab attack. as long as he doesnt slide off the edge.

Dnyce

Smash Master
I heard that pummeling right before a down-throw increases the down-throw's hitstun. Is this correct?
No. Olimar can input a throw command 3 frames before the pikmin finishes its pummel animation.

Edit @ kelumhi
Pummel and throw are two different moves. Damage =\= hitstun <.<

Latch

Smash Apprentice
Everybody, I have an extremely serious problem. I find myself choking hard in matches. I will get caught up in the moment, and rush in and do stupid stuff that gets me killed. Example: I blindly run at Ganondorf, which gets me ftilt/dtilt/fsmash/dspecial/dash attack/faired. Then I do it again. Another example: Zamus is locking me in uSmash > uspecial > repeat. But instead of DIing out, or even jumping, I repeatedly dair/whistle, trying to be super aggro. Do you guys have any suggestions on how to chill out and not be so aggro? I also tend to approach even when I am ahead, which gets me *****.

I know this is the stupidest question ever, since the obvious answer is just "don't be stupid." But I assure you, I am not stupid, I am just doing this stuff by default, almost a habit. It may be because I play CPUs a lot. Any suggestions on how to break this habit?

Thanks a bunch, I love having this supportive community to help me out.

cue Fino/Tacket/Tofer being extremely unsupportive :troll:

Sky Pirate

NNID
SkyPirateCoud
3DS FC
1590-4884-8497
Apparently I'm still really aggro for an Olimar, but I kind of broke my full-on dumb aggression habit by just remembering that I don't WANT to be close to people. You have to actively focus and think about staying away from the opponent if you're already conditioned to play rushdown characters or something.

I really don't know what else to tell you. Watch videos of good Olimars and see when they choose to be aggro and when they camp.

Dnyce

Smash Master
It's not a matter of "don't be stupid"... more along the lines of "don't take unnecessary risks"

Being aggressive works when the opponent leaves themselves open to an attack. If there isn't a hole in their defense, then when you take an aggressive strategy you are setting yourself up to lose a majority of the time.

There is no award to the most aggressive player in tournament, nor the most flashiest / most technical.

There are laws the game abides by, and you refusing to accept them does NOT remove them from reality. Olimar's down-air does not beat Lucario's up-air. Upon trying 1-2 times and failing, you have to realize that game isn't going to redesign itself mid-match so that down-air beats up-air.

I mean... it's fundamental adapting and learning theory. Doing something bad = getting punished... at least, that's how I was raised as a kid.

Sky Pirate

NNID
SkyPirateCoud
3DS FC
1590-4884-8497
Basically, whistle allows a reaction where airdodge normally wouldn't because it takes so ****ing long to finish. You can whistle individual hits of certain multihits that airdodge wouldn't outlast, punish with an attack, whistle to airdodge, etc. That's why you see so many Olimars using Whistle to Nair to get grounded.

On the other hand, Airdodge ends when you hit the ground and has actual invincibility, so use it on stuff that you know you won't need whistle for.

Dnyce

Smash Master
I never thought about whistle vs air dodge in terms of landing. Losing invincibility from air dodge when you land can be a pain in the *** sometimes, lol

Rift

Smash Rookie
Basically, whistle allows a reaction where airdodge normally wouldn't because it takes so ****ing long to finish. You can whistle individual hits of certain multihits that airdodge wouldn't outlast, punish with an attack, whistle to airdodge, etc. That's why you see so many Olimars using Whistle to Nair to get grounded.

On the other hand, Airdodge ends when you hit the ground and has actual invincibility, so use it on stuff that you know you won't need whistle for.
Thank you. How many frames is olimar's air dodge?

Sky Pirate

NNID
SkyPirateCoud
3DS FC
1590-4884-8497
Frames 4-29 (inclusive): Invincible
First Actionable Frame: Frame 40

Latch

Smash Apprentice
Wow that sucks. 3/8 of the move is vincible. Our airdodge is terrible

Okay, so serious question: terrible players **** me up. That sounds ********, but from watching videos of good players, there is some stuff that good players just never do because it's so dumb. But terrible players do whatever, and I have trouble predicting them. They throw out random **** which I don't expect at all... I guess the trick is to expect anything when playing anybody? Like expect a tink to go for a risky dair offstage, I guess

Damn I have the weirdest problems :p

Sync.

Smash Champion
Latch, don't really beat yourself up about losing to random things. That actually what makes good players stand out, because they know when to mix it up and be random to keep their opponent constantly guessing. Just don't lose to ridiculous things by having good reaction time. If they're going to dair you off stage, chances are their going to be jumping out at you so have a whistle ready. Just camp like you normally do with a rotation of pivot grabs, fsmash and upsmash and you should be fine. Just play safe and try to play a little more simple. For instance, why would a character jump then double jump all the way to the top of the screen while you're in the upper blast zone? I don't think they're jumping up there to fake you out, they're trying to hit you. So whistle, air dodge blah blah.

I hope I explained this well... I learned playing simpler is really good in a game like this not too long ago and it actually gave me a decent skill jump.

BSL

B-B-B-BLAMM!!!
NNID
bsl883
3DS FC
3308-4560-2744
[glow]Latch, Tura has the same problem. You just need to be able to recognize your opponent's skill. If they are bad, they'll have patterns. They don't mix things up. Even if it looks random, if you focus, they do the same kind of stuff.

I know because Tura uses that john when I beat him. [/glow]

crow95

Smash Cadet
What is our best bet out of shield against spaced, long-ranged and fast attacks, like MKs D-Tilt? OOS Usmash did not seem to have enough range.

Latch

Smash Apprentice
Oos options: Grab, Jump, Usmash, Uspecial.

If is is a low, grounded attack, just jumping oos then drifting backwards seems pretty good.
Also shieldgrab works well, since pretty much nothing outspaces it XD

Sync.

Smash Champion
You can't shield grab MK's dtilt. Your best hope is roll away or to shield DI buffer OoS yellow fair which is near impossible.

Just mix up your rolling away and try your best to reset the situation. Jump if you need to.

:phone:

Esotera

Smash Apprentice
@BSL You post a lot here O.O come to more tourneys!!

I'm picking this guy up, I'm not sure what I should work on yet. I'm pretty good at whistling and pivot grabbing and yada, but is there anything y'all can think of that I might not know to practice atm?

Top Bottom