• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Low Tier vs High Tier

Status
Not open for further replies.

TyrannoStorm

Smash Rookie
Let's say I main Ike (I do), and I'm fighting someone like Ally or M2K, who are using Snake and/or Metaknight. I know all of my character's technical stuff, all of his tricks, spacing, etc to the same extent as them. Would it even be possible to win?

Kinzer

Mammy
NNID
Kinzer
3DS FC
2251-6533-0581
Assuming you were at their level (chances are you probably aren't but let's just assume), according to the matchup threads, you're looking at about a 60% chance of losing to M2K's MK at best, and as for (Ally's) Snake... I'm not familiar with that MU but I know it's certainly not even.

uhmuzing

human-alien-cig
Writing Team
I really, really like Brawl alot, but I admit that they did a fail job balancing the game. Brawl is a game where you choose your main because you enjoy him. However, there is no denying that there are better and worse characters in Brawl. Its fact. In addition to broken characters, there are fail characters too. People like MK, Snake, Marth (:chuckle:), D3, wario, and more stand above the majority of the roster while Falcon, Ganondorf, Link, Samus, and others sink below. And then people like Luigi or Peach or Donkey Kong or Wolf play right in the middle. Regarding the highest tiers, I'm not saying that MK or Snake are ban-worthy (do not flame me :)), but that they are at a much higher standard than three-fourths of the cast. And Samus and Ganon and Falcon just do not contend in an environment like that.

Now, a player's skill level is superior to the disadvantages or advantages of his/her character. Yet competitively, your skill is usually matched by an opponent's, allowing for the match-up factor. A MK player will have a slight advantage over a Fox player, and an incredible adavantage over a ganondorf player. In a relatively balanced game, the differences are subtle to moderate because every character has some chance at the top spot. But Brawl's brokenness does away with those possibilities and requires low tiers to pick up a high tier secondary or first (the usual case, that is). Point blank, a Snake player will tend to dominate over an Ike player. A D3 will generally place better than Link. Falco will usually KO Jiggs.

Yes, there is a wall, however thin or thick, that separates those of high tier from those of low. And the middle tiers all rest in the valley between the two hills. Here we have it, the truth. There it is.

Why don't I play Plus then? I hear it promises a fair game to every combatant. :) Maybe because I play a high tier in the first place.... Maybe because I choose to put up with the imbalances of Brawl.... Maybe I'm afraid of change....

Well, anyway, thats my speech; felt like writing something up. ;) yep.
Eh, I'm just proud of myself, so I quoted this. :bee:

JOE!

Smash Hero
generally, no.

The matchup charts (if you look at those) so a kindof..."how many times outta 100" each character would win, assuming an equal skill level.

Assuming you are as good as M2K or Ally, Ike simply wouldnt be the character to go against Mk or Snake due to having a hard time against then naturally, not due to skill alone.

So, it would be possible, but very highly unlikley

uhmuzing

human-alien-cig
Writing Team
You should save that in Notepad for future use.
Ha ha. I do that sometimes..... thanks. And I wouldn't discourage you from using Ike. Yeah, he's not high tier, but he's a pretty darn fun character to use, and he's definitely a good contender in the right hands. :)

Vecayse

Smash Apprentice
Honestly you probably won't be able to beat players like M2K and Ally who use top tier characters and use them really well, with a char that isn't as good. However I find that it doesn't really matter as long as you play with a char that you like and is fun. I mean at the end of the day we all play to have fun right? If not and you only just wanna win I suggest maining MK or Snake, or anyone else in S tier. :)

Chuz

Smash Cadet
Depends on your style really. Some playing styles overcome others. Even then though, Ally and M2K will probably have an edge over you...

randomness_FTW!

Smash Cadet
If you have really dumb luck and M2K trips into your f-smash three times. Otherwise its possible, but highly improbable due to the fact that MK and Snake are naturally hard MU's for Ike.

Infinite Emerald

Smash Journeyman
Of course it would. Tiers don't exist. Also Just because MetaKnight is one of the harder characters to beat does not mean it is impossible to beat him with someone slow. So there it is not impossible to win.

uhmuzing

human-alien-cig
Writing Team
Of course it would. Tiers don't exist. Also Just because MetaKnight is one of the harder characters to beat does not mean it is impossible to beat him with someone slow. So there it is not impossible to win.
That's a hollow argument. To an extent, tiers do, in fact, exist. There are indeed better and worse characters. MK is not "one of the harder characters." He is the best, setting a higher standard than the rest of the roster and imbalancing the game. Ike is, truthfully, not viable against him usually. And although its not impossible, Ike is at a severe disadvanatge (reference to another thread if any of you recognize it :)) against MK or Snake, especially at the highest level of play.

M-WUZ-H3R3

Smash Lord
Assuming you are at about the same skill level yes. Tiers have nothing to do with who wins and who looses. If a low tier character plays smart against a high tier character they can win by a large margin.

Of course tiers do give some players an advantage and others a disadvantage.

ANYSKY

Smash Rookie
In a case like this, it's really more about the match up instead of tier ranking ;/

A low tier character can counter a top tier, but being low tier, he'd have worse overall match ups than the top tier, though character potential plays a role in tier placement as well.

Tier rankings are pretty much useless when looking at just a game or two. You'd want a match up chart for that. Tiers really only apply when it comes to large-scale tournaments.

REL38

Smash Lord
Generally speaking, a low tier character will lose to a high tier character most of the time. Not always, but most of the time.

I guarantee ya that if you had to bet on either Snake or Ike winning, most people will bet on Snake.

Trojan Donkey

Smash Cadet
There is ALWAYS a chance to win. It depends on your effort to get it. Even an underrated character can beat an overrated character by a large margin.. It depends on you and how you play him/her.

GALE 14

Smash Journeyman
sry but i think no
maybe..
if you a pro gamer then i'll think you can win lol
but it's ALLY and M2K

Kinzer

Mammy
NNID
Kinzer
3DS FC
2251-6533-0581
Grah why was this bumped?! :mad:

This didn't need its own thread then, it doesn't need its own thread now, and the question has already been answered, rather while I might add.

Lock it please?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom