• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Low Traction: Good or Bad?

Alopex

Smash Ace
I figured it would be interesting to discuss one of Luigi's less prominent traits: his ridiculously low traction, which is the lowest in the game, as it was in Melee.

I think it would be useful to discuss how we can use this traction to our advantage and what situations we need to be careful of.

I know one benefit of the low traction is the ability to avoid regrabs or natural combos out of grabs against some characters. We just slide too far away.

One drawback is how much we can get shield pushed, making it sometimes very hard to grab out of a shield.

Discussion?

hippiedude92

Smash Hero
I've have thoughts about this. Frankly it's not great at progressing at it. How about, when you hit somone let's says a smash and they shield it, and you slide and grab the edge? Anyone catch my drift? lol.

SparkEd

Smash Journeyman
+Gives Luigi one of the best Hyphen Smashes/Dash Canceled UpSmashes in the game (Read: NOT DAC-USmash!)
+Odd traction gives extra boost of range to Luigi's ground game; If you're walking, you can considerably make the range of his FSmash go a bit longer than usual. It's much like Stutter Stepping almost :/
+Sliding and fastfalling off of platforms intentionally; odd but nice approaches. Works best of Smashville, Battlefield and Lylat Cruise.

-You can't shieldgrab high knockback moves as much due to the fact you're knocked back 50 feet or so :/
-Powershielding becomes more of a must in Luigi's game because he becomes potnetially outspaced when he gets hit while shielding. This may even lead to him off the edge and you don't wanna deal with some characters off the edge (Hi Mario)
-Luigi takes a while to stop if you make him turn around sharply. You can jump cancel the skid though... and RAR so uh I guess this is a plus too -_-

freddybones

Smash Journeyman
The only thing I like about his low traction is his running Up-Smash. If you hold it, he keeps sliding a good distance (about 4 or 5 Luigis in distance) and it takes people by surprise.
I've gotten people in fully charged Up-Smashes this way a lot simply because they underestimate the distance you slide.

Other than that I really hate it. My sheild grabbing with Luigi is almost non-existant cause I fly back so far, often right off the edge. >_<

Ultra Luigi

Smash Ace
The shield push isn’t a problem as long as you power shield. Also, you should be using the up-b out of shield instead of shield grabbing knowing how it kills at really low percents.

Razz113

Smash Cadet
ultra has a point but consider this if u dont wanna slide so far just spotdodge/ shield and u stop on the spot. the main problem ive found is i was playing my friend earlier and he mains ganondorf and the sliding while i was shielding made me miscalculate the spacing might be something i have to get use to, but Oh well.

The best bonus is the walking dSmash if you watch urself while you walk and DSmash the radius is increased just a little bit, basically it moves with you a little.

hippiedude92

Smash Hero
I hate getting shield pushed cus of Luigi's crap traction >.> I'm more of a spotdodger abuser than shieldgrabber but they are attacks that can't be spotdodged (Hi Mk's whorenado). But when I do need to shieldgrab I get pushed and miss oppunity to control the match.

ALiAsVee

Smash Ace
I think his traction is not so much a good/bad thing, but just something a luigi player has to take into account as part of their game. Granted, there are advantages and disadvantages to his traction as mentioned earlier, but i think his "slip n' slide" type of motion makes a luigi player learn to predict how luigi overshoots all his motions. Conversely, i have a hard time using characters with better traction because i am so used to luigi's sliding around.

Another thing on the topic of luigi's traction: Sometimes i get huge lag with luigi when he slides and i abruptly change directions; he just kinda sticks there for a bit and then responds to my input. If anyone can shed light on that i would be grateful for that, its something i want to weed out of my game because i find myself getting ko'ed from mistakes like that.

If nintendo made a mario ice skate game, luigi wouldn't need iceskates xD.

Top Bottom