• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social Lower Norfair

KingBroly

Smash Lord
Admittedly, my worst fear from 2014's aftermath was most of the fans losing that desire and passion to have him. Well, that was sort of the case for the ballot (but Ridley already left his mark well before then), but I mean like in the long run, though we're all still here, so that's good. His future in Metroid was also uncertain at the time, and didn't help his last appearance was from a game and whose design was pretty unpopular, so there was that too, but Samus Returns buried all that, with a return to form game and Ridley design that isn't controversial.

While there may be no way to logically live down what the Smash director's gone on record saying about him, particularly in 2014, keeping up the support and thereby a thorn in his side for future consideration is the best we can do like with any character. With how kinder time has been to Ridley in 2016-17, we're lucky to still be where we are considering, when compared to Geno, Krystal, and the like. In the grand scheme of things I thought the space pirates did falter in 2014, but I was proven wrong. They never falter.
They'll shoehorn Ridley into more Metroid games and you will like it!

Ridley_Prime

Proteus Geoform
NNID
AlphaWarDragon87
3DS FC
0774-4845-6886
Switch FC
SW-7888-8563-5773
I don't have a link to the book. Think only Zem does.

They'll shoehorn Ridley into more Metroid games and you will like it!
Well if the appearances serve something of a purpose then let's have at it. Otherwise there will be fatigue eventually if you just have him in everything. Kind of already is fatigue for some but eh...

The Samus Returns appearance I feel was a bit more than just shoehorned fanservice. There wasn't much time between the end of II/Returns and the beginning of Super Metroid (where Samus leaves SR388 and then just goes to drop off the infant), so it gave a new light as to why Ridley would go after the baby with Super's prologue. That said I can't really think who else would've been befitting as the final boss for MSR. The Metroid Queen was already a tired horse for being one like two or three times, how many depending if you also count AM2R.
*I know there was Phantoon as a bonus enemy (now that was shoehorned), but I pretty much count the Queen Metroid as the story's final boss of that one game from 2010 that shouldn't be mentioned.

Assuming Ridley appears again in MP4 as the start of like a new trilogy, I think it'd be fair to give him a break again after that like with MP2 depending on all what's next, not that I think he'll ever reach Bowser or the Joker levels of overexposure or something...

Pretty much regurgitating a post I made from several pages back, but whatever.

Zeox

Smash Champion
Hey guys, I'm playing Metroid, the first one, the one of the NES, for the first time and I am super lost, the last thing I got was the boots powerup that I have no idea how to use or what it does and now I am in a spooky purple place full of dangerous enemies and I only got 1 life tank. Everything is very dangerous, I am scared and I don't know how to go back, this is my first ever metroid and i'm in danger, please save my samus.

This is the elevator that sends me to a dangerous place, as you can see I'm in danger.
Please save me so I can fight Ridley, Kraid and Mommy big brain.

Eisendrachen

Smash Hero
NNID
Das_Ritter
3DS FC
5026-4732-8503
Damn, I remember trying to play that one once. Never quite realized just how mandatory the map was for my ability to play these games until I didn't have it anymore...

Hey guys, I'm playing Metroid, the first one, the one of the NES, for the first time and I am super lost, the last thing I got was the boots powerup that I have no idea how to use or what it does and now I am in a spooky purple place full of dangerous enemies and I only got 1 life tank. Everything is very dangerous, I am scared and I don't know how to go back, this is my first ever metroid and i'm in danger, please save my samus.

This is the elevator that sends me to a dangerous place, as you can see I'm in danger.
Please save me so I can fight Ridley, Kraid and Mommy big brain.
Don't be afraid to cheat. This game has some really stupid stuff in it. Stuff like maps and save states are totally fine lol. (If you're playing on wii U it comes with a save state)

The whole game is crazy, and I honestly have no idea how they expect you to find some of this stuff naturally without walking aimlessly.

Have fun fighting Ridley! He's a real silly fight if I remember correctly
. . .man I totally forgot he shot fireballs like that. I could have sworn he had Kraid's weird nail projectiles
:061:

Danpal65

Smash Lord
Don't be afraid to cheat. This game has some really stupid stuff in it. Stuff like maps and save states are totally fine lol. (If you're playing on wii U it comes with a save state)

The whole game is crazy, and I honestly have no idea how they expect you to find some of this stuff naturally without walking aimlessly.

Have fun fighting Ridley! He's a real silly fight if I remember correctly
. . .man I totally forgot he shot fireballs like that. I could have sworn he had Kraid's weird nail projectiles
:061:
Completing the original Metroid was like a rite of passage for me as a Metroid fan. I had Metroid Other M as the first actual Metroid game I played, but since them I have completed them all.

I used the ice beam for like 99% of my play through of the original Metroid. Being able to freeze Ridley's fireballs and then pump him full of missiles is kinda necessary (plus theres that little spot where you can avoid being hit in morph ball mode).

Last edited:

Ridley_Prime

Proteus Geoform
NNID
AlphaWarDragon87
3DS FC
0774-4845-6886
Switch FC
SW-7888-8563-5773
The easy way for NES Ridley which I did was just to have the Wave Beam, go under the bridge platform he's on while constantly jumping to minimize damage from the lava, and shoot up at him till he dies which the wave beam will pass through... Compared to Kraid he wasn't much in the 8-bit era if you knew what you were doing. Of course it became the opposite with 16-bit era which led to the Ridley we all know and love.

majorasmaskfan

Smash Journeyman
Ridley should get his own spinoff game, a 2d metroidvania of his origin story, a prison escape game. Also give him size manipulation powers.

Ridley_Prime

Proteus Geoform
NNID
AlphaWarDragon87
3DS FC
0774-4845-6886
Switch FC
SW-7888-8563-5773
Could also be down for a Bowser's Inside Story esque concept for a game with big bosses (yes, bigger than Ridley) worthy of him fighting... But that's an idea for another day. There's a time and place for everything.

Retroend

Retro Gamer
NNID
Re7ron
3DS FC
3669-1436-3958
Switch FC
SW-5947-2141-6122
man when someone asks what character you want in smash and you say ridley, they hammer down on you harshly. why is the world against us?

Last edited:

Danpal65

Smash Lord
man when someone asks what character you want in smash and you say ridley, they hammer down on you harshly. why is the world against us?
Because no one else understands the ability to still have hope and dedication when things seem bleak. They do not understand the resilience we have developed. Our strength was forged in the fire of our great space dragon overlord!

Retroend

Retro Gamer
NNID
Re7ron
3DS FC
3669-1436-3958
Switch FC
SW-5947-2141-6122
Because no one else understands the ability to still have hope and dedication when things seem bleak. They do not understand the resilience we have developed. Our strength was forged in the fire of our great space dragon overlord!
i've seen the mods for ridley. they portray his character perfectly. why doesn't sakurai realize this? i wish he knew how much crap ridley fans get for wanting their character in the game. if sakurai makes ridley playable i will never complain about him again.

Danpal65

Smash Lord
i've seen the mods for ridley. they portray his character perfectly. why doesn't sakurai realize this? i wish he knew how much crap ridley fans get for wanting their character in the game. if sakurai makes ridley playable i will never complain about him again.
I guess if you have been approaching a character and had it in your head that he will not work with your game it may be hard to see it from a different point of view, even if there is some pretty good examples of how to do it. I certainly do not think there is anything malicious behind it or anything, purely that in the past Ridley just has not gelled with the way his brain puts together a Smash game.

Lyndis_

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-6600-3090-1548
NEStroid is so weird.

I don't even remember how I finished it. All I know is that I wouldn't do it again, lol.

I guess if you have been approaching a character and had it in your head that he will not work with your game it may be hard to see it from a different point of view, even if there is some pretty good examples of how to do it. I certainly do not think there is anything malicious behind it or anything, purely that in the past Ridley just has not gelled with the way his brain puts together a Smash game.
There's also basically no way Sakurai even knows about the mods. I'd be surprised if he even knew about Project M in the first place.

Bravetriforcer

Smash Ace
Sakurai machine broke.

NEStroid is so weird.

I don't even remember how I finished it. All I know is that I wouldn't do it again, lol.

There's also basically no way Sakurai even knows about the mods. I'd be surprised if he even knew about Project M in the first place.
I'm sure someone spammed videos of those particularly good ones from I think 2015 at him on Twitter and he watched one or two of them inbetween work hours.

Last edited:

Danpal65

Smash Lord
I reckon you would be surprised. At the bare minimum there is no way he would not know about Project M, it is probably one of the most popular mods in gaming. He could very well have even seen at least some of what people think Ridley could do.

FunAtParties

PM me ur character ideas girl
NNID
ZestyÑ
Switch FC
SW-8404-4905-2993
I reckon you would be surprised. At the bare minimum there is no way he would not know about Project M, it is probably one of the most popular mods in gaming. He could very well have even seen at least some of what people think Ridley could do.
I don't think he knows about all the individual mods (including Ridleys) but there's no way he doesn't know about PM.

I'm sure he's dove in and looked at what people want from Ridley, he also probably put a lot of thought into it himself before deciding he didn't wanna do it.

Bravetriforcer

Smash Ace
By the way, don't worry about popularity dying down. Sakurai acknowledged Ridley's popularity and the Nintendo Direct 2 days before Samus Returns came out said Smash Brothers fans should be excited. That Di
Got a source for the latter? like the hfil is that even meant to mean in context Smash wasn't announced back then.

Bestmand902

Smash Lord
. Sakurai acknowledged Ridley's popularity and the Nintendo Direct 2 days before Samus Returns came out said Smash Brothers fans should be excited.
I could've sworn the Samus Returns thing was just a joke, considering the "Too big" fiasco, plus the fact that Ridley was in the game while he wasn't in Smash. Then again, I do really hope that was a stealth hint. I shouldn't get my hopes up but I can dream

FunAtParties

PM me ur character ideas girl
NNID
ZestyÑ
Switch FC
SW-8404-4905-2993
All I have to say is, if Ridley does make it in, I can't wait to see the reaction.

IsmaR

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
BRoomer
Ooromine IV, the second planet from the sun FS-176
NNID
Super_Sand_Lezbo
3DS FC
3179-6068-0031
Switch FC
SW-7639-0141-7804
I always thought of that as more of an acknowledgement that most people know Samus/were introduced to Metroid through Smash.

Plus there's a joke to be made about >Melee< Counter somewhere.

Zeox

Smash Champion
Metroid Lore question:
Super metroid is a sequel of metroid 2, and this one from metroid, it is explained that Ridley survived the events of Metroid 1 and was rebuilded thanks to space pirates...
But how did Kraid and Mother Brain survive Metroid 1 and comeback in Super Metroid?

Lyndis_

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-6600-3090-1548
I'm pretty sure there isn't actually a canon explanation to that. I think it should just be assumed the same way Ridley did.

All I have to say is, if Ridley does make it in, I can't wait to see the reaction.
Definitely the best part.

Last edited:

Zeox

Smash Champion
Aw shet I killed him... I guess now he will not be in Smash, my fault, sorry.

(Also that was super easy)

Last edited:

Raxxel

Hipster Heavyweight Champ
NNID
RaxxelAintHappy
3DS FC
2921-9637-8816
Etika's Mewtwo reaction, but with Ridley.

"IT'S RIDLEY!!! RIDLEY!!! RIDLEY!!! OHHHHHHHH!!! OHHHHHHHHH!!! RIDLEEEEY!!! RIDLEEEEY!!!"
"MY ****"

Aetheri

W/E happens don't panic...
Switch FC
SW-3397-5428-2304
I GOT IT!!!

What if everytime a match starts a poison mushroom drops on Ridley so hos size is closer to that of the other characters!

no?

well i guess not then...

Zeox

Smash Champion
What have you done
Forgive me father for I have sinned... is ok, we can rebuild him, we have the technology! we have the capability to make the world's first bionic space dragon. Ridley will be that space dragon, better than he was before, stronger... faster!

lurxy

Smash Cadet
NNID
lurxylux
Switch FC
SW 7645 5399 8874
Forgive me father for I have sinned... is ok, we can rebuild him, we have the technology! we have the capability to make the world's first bionic space dragon. Ridley will be that space dragon, better than he was before, stronger... faster!
Let's not hope that he will be bigger, too. Daddy Sakurai is not going to like that.

Also, I also support the big purple space dragon for this installment of smash like i did since the good old Brawl times. Let us hope, that Sakurai changed his mind and did everything he could to make Ridley playable.

Ura

Smash Legend
Switch FC
SW-2772-0149-6703
You know the idea of playing as Ridley in Smash Run sounds pretty fun. Someone his size beating the tar out of all the enemies at once.

Of course if Smash Run even returns of course.

D

Deleted member

Honestly, I think the better way to handle Ridley is to not adjust him to work with the established system of the game in prior releases like all mods do, but work the newer system around HIM.

So he's big? Then let him be the largest character in the game. Work the structure of the stages around that fact.
You might still have to tweak some things about him, but they'd be less drastic that would've been needed before.

And it opens the door for other characters that are a bit larger than would normally be feasible.

Top Bottom