• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social Lower Norfair

FunAtParties

PM me ur character ideas girl
NNID
ZestyÑ
Switch FC
SW-8404-4905-2993
That Prime 4 logo yo. Glad I got up early after all. Whether it's Retro doing it or not, please no more of the Metroid vs DK schism... Retro did a fantastic job reviving both series. I don't care whose doing MP4, just glad we got it now, even though I guess the hopes for another 2D was squashed.
I would've liked to see more, though. Felt like a throw in announcement because they didn't have anything ready or something. Pokemon was that in a more literal sense though.

All that being said, hype!

Zem-raj

Smash Hero
That Prime 4 logo yo. Glad I got up early after all. Whether it's Retro doing it or not, please no more of the Metroid vs DK schism... Retro did a fantastic job reviving both series. I don't care whose doing MP4, just glad we got it now, even though I guess the hopes for another 2D was squashed.
I think Nintendo said they planned to do a 2D Metroid and Prime, so a 2D Metroid could still come.

Would be great if Ridley is in Prime 4.

Ridley_Prime

Proteus Geoform
NNID
AlphaWarDragon87
3DS FC
0774-4845-6886
Switch FC
SW-7888-8563-5773
Hard to see why he wouldn't be, unless 4 is a Prime 2 kind of title where the space pirates have minimal involvement and Ridley's given another short break, but I don't think the Omega form will be the end for him in the Prime series.

Yoshi-Thomas

Smash Champion
Hard to see why he wouldn't be, unless 4 is a Prime 2 kind of title where the space pirates have minimal involvement and Ridley's given another short break, but I don't think the Omega form will be the end for him in the Prime series.
He will never know any end.

Wiinner159

Smash Hero
NNID
Make a guess...
3DS FC
2251-6491-9042
Well now looks like pessimism paid off here, I expected nothing and got two games I'm interested in. Can't say I'm extremely excited for Prime 4 though given that it's really just a teaser with no gameplay, but obviously the fact that it's confirmed does make me quite content. So now I got 4 exclusive Switch games I'm interested in getting, Mario Odyssey, Splatoon 2, Metroid Prime 4, and Kirby

Ridley_Prime

Proteus Geoform
NNID
AlphaWarDragon87
3DS FC
0774-4845-6886
Switch FC
SW-7888-8563-5773
They listened to AM2R after all then with a Metroid II remake, and didn't take it down just for the sake of being overprotective *****.

"MP4 Now in development. Not in development since 2013".

Heh... If only they had given some logo or confirmation of its early development during Federation Force's reign. Would've saved or prevented a lot of hard feelings. Oh well, all is still forgiven now.

D

Deleted member

So guys.....

.....think Metroid Prime 4 will provide explanation as to how Ridley survived the destruction of Phazon and went from
to
?

Sabrewulf238

Smash Hero
They listened to AM2R after all then with a Metroid II remake, and didn't take it down just for the sake of being overprotective *****.
I'd be really hesitant to say that some guy who made a fan game influenced them to do anything. It was probably just that they didn't want something too similar to what they were doing available (at least not easily) for free.

Still, I'm not even a huge Metroid fan and these reveals hyped me. I really should play the original prime trilogy.

Zem-raj

Smash Hero
https://twitter.com/NintendoAmerica/status/874684384120520704

No Ridley amiibo, but it still seems like pretty big news. Glad to see Nintendo showing Metroid some love again.
Maybe there'll be one one day... if only...

The amiibo are labelled as "Metroid" rather than "Metroid: Samus Returns", so who knows? Maybe Ridley will get one in the future. He is one of the important trio after all (the others being Samus and the Metroid, which both have amiibo).

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
User was warned for this post
Retro should've made a DKC Returns 3 instead. Donkey Kong deserves it more than Metroid.

AwesomeAussie27

Banned via Warnings
NNID
AwesomeAussie27
3DS FC
4141-6335-9472
Switch FC
SW-6214-0583-2914
Retro should've made a DKC Returns 3 instead. Donkey Kong deserves it more than Metroid.
Except for the part where a new team is working on Metroid Prime 4 and not Retro.

There's still hope.

Megadoomer

Writing Team
Switch FC
SW-0351-1523-9047
So guys.....

.....think Metroid Prime 4 will provide explanation as to how Ridley survived the destruction of Phazon and went from
to
?
Cloning. Also, nanomachines and hypnosis may be involved in some way.

Wolfie557

Witch-King of the North
3DS FC
3153-4071-1007
Switch FC
SW 3128 8188 4021
Man its starting to get annoying. Pls stahp. No need to pop in a non dk thread to say that.

Metroid is hype.
Retro could be working on DKC or a new Ip or both. Or 2 new ips. Who knows. They are apparently big enough to do multiple projects.

Now back to metroid...the chances of Ridley have increased slightly imho but Sylux's increased far far more. Id say sylux is more likely than ridley now which isnt a bad thing. Sylux would be fun too and Metroid needs a newcomer. Period.

Zem-raj

Smash Hero
So guys.....

to
?
It really needs to.

As hated as Other M is, it at least explained about the appearance of "Ridley" in Metroid Fusion (which turns out to be the clone's dead corpse).

Prime 4 needs to do the same for the Prime 3 to Super Metroid transition.

I mean, there's the thing about Ridley's health regeneration (and eating enemies to grow and develop), but they need to confirm it in the games. Samus just happened to lose her Phazon corruption too...

Ridley_Prime

Proteus Geoform
NNID
AlphaWarDragon87
3DS FC
0774-4845-6886
Switch FC
SW-7888-8563-5773
Whelp, I guess my plea of not bringing back the DK vs Metroid schism fell on deaf ears at least for one person, unless Diddy was just playin' around with that last post, in which case whatever (Retro's not doing MP4 anyway as pointed out), but everyone deserves to be happy with one of their favorite franchises returning strong. DK will still have its time too; this isn't the end of an era for it unless you let it be, and as a fan of DKC who grew up with it too I'll be happy for all of y'all when it gets another entry.

@ Sabrewulf: Yeah, I may have jumped the shark there. You're probably right that it was just that.

@ WhiteEagle: Yeah, I have no problems with Sylux by this point as expressed. For Ridley, I guess how viable he would be for an official Smash again would depend on the size, proportions, and things he has for his 3D model in MP4 or whatever new game he first appears in. Hate to break it down like that but it's kind of the truth... We saw how well MP1 Meta Ridley being down-scaled for Brawl worked though, despite still being another boss, so a new Ridley model could go a long way. If we get a fully organic 3D Ridley in the Prime series (that doesn't have the design deficiencies people disliked about the Other M clone), there'll be happiness regardless. I like the Meta form as much as the next person, but if it goes away come MP4 or so then so be it. Will still be getting a figure of it soon anyway.

And a Ridley amiibo? Still not getting my hopes up for that even with the Metroid one there, but ya know, if it happens it happens...

Staarih

Smash Master
Ridley better get an amiibo haha! It's good that they've started a collection with Samus and Metroid, might as well continue with Ridley and some other characters (Sylux?) at least to tie in with Prime 4. Would be great.

I'm so happy about two Metroid games (and them not being shot down by fans). Now we need to assure the games will sell well and continue to be received well, hopefully the developers deliver on that part.

And maybe, because of all this (new) exposure for Metroid, Ridley might get his chance in a future Smash game. One can wish, right?

Last edited:

FunAtParties

PM me ur character ideas girl
NNID
ZestyÑ
Switch FC
SW-8404-4905-2993
I'm really happy there's finally a new Metroid on the way (plus an old one), I just hope "in development"=/= we started yesterday.

Bruh.

Samus and a metroid got amiibos for the 3DS version because those are the only 2 really relevant things in that game, other than maybe the Queen metroid or an Omega but both are pretty ehhh

When Prime 4 comes around, I wouldnt be surprised by a Ridley amiibo and a Sylu one. Probably a few other characters, although a 3rd Samus seems a bit much.

Also, that post already has a warning

No reason to keep replying to it.

Last edited:

Ridley_Prime

Proteus Geoform
NNID
AlphaWarDragon87
3DS FC
0774-4845-6886
Switch FC
SW-7888-8563-5773
Probably...

Is not required, but they could have a fun toy-like appeal with a Ridley amiibo; the appeal of the Metroid one is that it's squishy like the little alien jellyfish it is, while Ridley could have a stretchy tail or something.

Apparently MercerySteam's behind the Metroid II remake in part. That's cool; it was known before that they wanted to do a Metroid on Wii U when the system was still relevant which got turned down, but now it's kinda come full circle with their involvement in the series, so glad something like that worked out, between it and a new different team doing MP4.

Yoshi-Thomas

Smash Champion
Please give Ridley a good design in Metroid Prime 4.

I hope they'll keep his old Metroid Prime design and not start doing something too exaggerated.

Wolfie557

Witch-King of the North
3DS FC
3153-4071-1007
Switch FC
SW 3128 8188 4021
Samus and a metroid got amiibos for the 3DS version because those are the only 2 really relevant things in that game, other than maybe the Queen metroid or an Omega but both are pretty ehhh

When Prime 4 comes around, I wouldnt be surprised by a Ridley amiibo and a Sylu one. Probably a few other characters, although a 3rd Samus seems a bit much.

Also, that post already has a warning

No reason to keep replying to it.
I don't think a 3rd Samus would be much then again those Metroid amiibos are general metroid ones...so i wouldn't be surprised if we get another Samus based off prime 4 or if we dont.

Sylux is pretty much a given. Ridley too. The guardian amiibo is prob gonna be bigger than him still. :p

UserKev

Smash Champion
Imagine how interesting it would be to have a Ridley amiibo. You'd feel cool with him.

Ridley_Prime

Proteus Geoform
NNID
AlphaWarDragon87
3DS FC
0774-4845-6886
Switch FC
SW-7888-8563-5773
Honestly with how many different versions of amiibos there are of some characters, having amiibos of like the whole Metroid evolution line or some of the different forms of Ridley or somethin probably wouldn't be too out there, though not gonna go all "Must have this, must have that!" with the amiibo line...

NNID
Ridleylash
3DS FC
1736-1657-3905
If Samus Returns is an enhanced remake of Return Of Samus (which it most certainly seems to be), there's nothing saying there's no chance of Ridley being included.

Remember, Zero Mission had additional content not in the original NES game, so I see no reason Samus Returns wouldn't be similarly-unique. Maybe Ridley will play a role in the story this time, who knows.

Zem-raj

Smash Hero
If Samus Returns is an enhanced remake of Return Of Samus (which it most certainly seems to be), there's nothing saying there's no chance of Ridley being included.

Remember, Zero Mission had additional content not in the original NES game, so I see no reason Samus Returns wouldn't be similarly-unique. Maybe Ridley will play a role in the story this time, who knows.
Sounds like a great idea. Though they'd have to explain why Ridley is on SR-388, a planet full of the Metroid species, in the first place. Is he looking for something? Is he chasing Samus? Is there a hidden Space Pirate base? So many questions.

If Ridley does somehow appear in Metroid: Samus Returns, I'm banking it would probably be via a post-credits scene, linking the game to Super Metroid. It ends where Super Metroid begins - Ridley's invasion in the Ceres Space Colony.

NNID
Ridleylash
3DS FC
1736-1657-3905
Sounds like a great idea. Though they'd have to explain why Ridley is on SR-388, a planet full of the Metroid species, in the first place. Is he looking for something? Is he chasing Samus? Is there a hidden Space Pirate base? So many questions.

If Ridley does somehow appear in Metroid: Samus Returns, I'm banking it would probably be via a post-credits scene, linking the game to Super Metroid. It ends where Super Metroid begins - Ridley's invasion in the Ceres Space Colony.
Perhaps Ridley gets the idea of using the Metroids as bioweapons after studying their biology while on SR-388, and Samus is trying to prevent the Space Pirates from capturing Metroid specimens to use as genetic templates, as ordered by the Galactic Federation? Would be a neat way of explicitly canonizing his intellect without having to have lengthy exposition.

Last edited:

Ridley_Prime

Proteus Geoform
NNID
AlphaWarDragon87
3DS FC
0774-4845-6886
Switch FC
SW-7888-8563-5773
Eh, yeah, and would go beyond something simpler like "Ridley took the Metroid from Ceres Station because Mother Brain told him to".

I give Super Metroid a pass as far as that though since it was before he started being more significant in the series, what with his position among the pirates and the pre-Metroid history with Samus being later established. Before like Zero Mission they didn't have as much vision for him beyond being another sub-boss, or maybe they were slowly alluding to his increased importance.

Felt kinda the opposite way at first, but after awhile I liked how he was one of those villains who didn't generally have to be a final boss to leave a major impact. I mean, he could be there as Samus's fiercest/oldest rival but without having to steal the show or end-game from someone else. They could've done without Ridley in Fusion though but I guess they had to to explain the circumstances with the clone, but you know aside from that, it's all why he would fit well recurring in a 2nd Prime trilogy, even if Sylux or something is a good chunk of the focus of it like Dark Samus & Phazon was for the first trilogy, while Ridley can still be there doing what he does best, whether intellectually or providing a usual physical challenge.

MasterOfKnees

Space Pirate
NNID
KneeMaster
Switch FC
SW-6310-1174-0352
I don't think Ridley needs to be in Samus Returns, it'd feel like they'd be forcing him into a game where he honestly doesn't need to be in. Obviously I won't complain if he does appear in it, but Prime 4 seems like a better stage for his return.

CCD23

Smash Cadet
So I've been meaning to post my thoughts on Ridley here for awhile, but decided to wait and see if E3 brought any news about the next Smash, dispelling any chance Ridley might have. E3 did no such thing, so here it goes...

First, as I understand it, the general consensus is that Ridley will probably NOT be in the next Smash and that the rumored returning characters will probably be Wolf and Ice Climbers (and maybe Splatoon and ARMS characters), if the next Smash turns out to be a port. And I subscribe to this consensus for the most part. However, I still think Ridley has a slight chance of being a playable character, even more so if the the next Smash game is an entirely new one.

Basically, I've always suspected that Ridley was originally planned as a character, and was partially developed, but in the end was relegated to a stage hazard due to development time constraints. I'm hoping that if Ridley was partially developed, he will be polished up and put in the next Smash, whether that is a port or a new game.

-----------------

Let me present some evidence...

First of all, Bowser Jr. was almost cut from the game. Sakurai also mentions there were cases where characters weren't able to make it in the end. Maybe Ridley was one of those cases?

Second, Ridley was given quite a few attacks for a stage hazard. Compared to Yellow Devil and Metal Face, he has a lot more comparatively. Furthermore, almost all of these attacks were derived from both of his Super Metroid and Other M counterparts in the original games**, which tells me someone did their homework on Ridley, just like many of the other playable characters have had done for them. He was also given pretty dynamic and fluid animations when executing them. Hell, he was also given a ledge grab animation! Basically, I'm saying that this seems like quite a bit for a mere stage hazard.

(**I can elaborate more on these attacks if someone wants.)

Third, despite stage-hazard-Ridley being based on his Other M version, the icon for him on the results screen is clearly based off of his Super Metroid version...

It makes me wonder if Ridley was originally designed based on his Super Metroid version. But why the change? Well, if he was originally a character, it would make more sense to have him based on his retro Super Metroid version as opposed to the less-aesthetically pleasing Other M version. But if he was indeed changed into a stage hazard for an Other M-based stage, exactly where he appeared in that game, then of course Ridley would have to reflect how he appeared at that point in Other M. I guess his icon here was an oversight? (His 'Super Metroid' icon not matching the design of his Other M stage hazard form has always bugged/annoyed me since the game came out...)

----------------

So, taking all three of these points in consideration... well, it just seems to me that Ridley was at least planned as a playable character, if not partially developed. To reiterate: Sakurai basically said that some characters' development had to be abandoned. Ridley also has many source-researched and well-developed attacks for a stage hazard relative to Yellow Devil and Metal Face, not to mention he also has an icon based off his Super Metroid form. As I mentioned, it would make sense to have a playable Ridley in his retro Super Metroid form... So yeah...

I know that there is a lot of speculation and straw-grasping in this post, but those three points I haven't really seen brought up yet by anyone and they fit together in my mind to point toward a partially-developed Ridley... I just hope that if work has truly already been done on Ridley as a playable character, the team for the next Smash game can take what has been done and finish him.

-----------------

As far as Ridley's chances of being included in the next Smash game... I want to point this out:

In the interview snippet I linked above, Sakurai says:

Each and every character has fans, we wanted to drop as few as possible. About the order of which character has priority, the characters that don’t have a new title coming up have an overwhelming disadvantage…
Since there wasn't much going on with Metroid at the time, this would be another explanation why Ridley was not given priority during development. (Assuming he was a character to begin with.) However, with the announcement of a Metroid II remake and Metroid Prime 4, hopefully this increases his chances. I know that Ridley was never in the original Metroid II, but it would be awesome if he was in Metroid Prime 4. If so, and if a new Smash Bros game is being made, then scrapping the Pyrosphere stage entirely, along with stage-hazard-Ridley, and replacing it with a Metroid Prime 4 stage and Ridley as a playable character would be freaking awesome! :rotfl:

So yeah, there is it... Let me know what you think, fellow Space Pirates. :smash:

Last edited:
Absolutely not.

Ridley was thought about, and tossed aside, then made a stage boss.
Second, Ridley was given quite a few attacks for a stage hazard. Compared to Yellow Devil and Metal Face, he has a lot more comparatively. Furthermore, almost all of these attacks were derived from both of his Super Metroid and Other M counterparts in the original games**, which at least tells me someone did their homework on Ridley, just like many of the other playable characters have had done for them. He was also given pretty dynamic and fluid animations when executing them. Hell, he was also given a ledge grab animation! Basically, I'm saying that this seems like quite a bit for a mere stage hazard.
This probaly had a higher chance of being because he knew Ridley was popular and wanted him to be "special" then anything else. Metal Face and Yellow Devil hardly move, but Ridley does, so it was probably more of a "can I make a more lifelike boss"

Plus, the gimmick of joining your team and being KO'd means you need more of a fighter than just the other two did anyway to be reasonable. And as for doing his homeworkk" Sakurai does that for everyone and everything lol.
Third, despite stage-hazard-Ridley being based on his Other M version, the icon for him on the results screen is clearly based off of his Super Metroid version...

It makes me wonder if Ridley was originally designed based on his Super Metroid version. But why the change? Well, if he was originally a character, it would make more sense to have him based on his retro Super Metroid version as opposed to the less-aesthetically pleasing Other M version. But if he was indeed changed into a stage hazard for an Other M-based stage, exactly where he appeared in that game, then of course Ridley would have to reflect how he appeared at that point in Other M. I guess his icon here was an oversight? (His 'Super Metroid' icon not matching the design of his Other M stage hazard form has always bugged/annoyed me since the game came out...)
Re-using and editing assets takes way less time than making a new stock icon. Added onto the fact that Smash Ridley is the original Ridley, it doesn't really matter anyway since Super is the original.

I dont mean to be really rude to someone posting a theory, but I also really dont want a lot of conspiracy theories running around. We had way too many during Smash For speculation and it hurt the Space Pirates a lot. Ridley was never planned to be playable. After the point that he decided that he coulfdt think of a way for Ridley to work, there was nothing else to go for. No early designs, no plans for playability, nothing.

I think he does have a small chance of appearing in a new smash game (absolute zero in a port though) since two metroid games are in development, but I still think it's astronomically low.

Ridley_Prime

Proteus Geoform
NNID
AlphaWarDragon87
3DS FC
0774-4845-6886
Switch FC
SW-7888-8563-5773
Well, instead of being a downer about Ridley's chances, just be glad we got some real new games, especially if he returns in Prime 4. Instead of trying to come up with 'conspiracy theories' on why he wasn't playable in SSB4 or some crap, or always just pushing to make him playable in the next Smash... Do so if it makes you happy, and especially be happy if we got him playable in an official game by some chance, but don't make it the end-all-be-all for Ridley's future or your fandom. Be happy with Ridley just having relevance again, along with the Smash mods of him which will only get better in the future as SSB4 modding becomes more accessible and widespread. There's plenty to still rejoice about at the end of the day even if he's not officially playable in Smash. -_-

Last edited:

Zem-raj

Smash Hero
I think he does have a small chance of appearing in a new smash game (absolute zero in a port though) since two metroid games are in development, but I still think it's astronomically low.
I think Smash 6 might be a new game, and it might be the first without Sakurai's input. This is based on my observation of things.

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble

Gonna add on to this. Listen closely to the music when Samus fights the Metroids in Samus Returns' trailer. Sounds like a slowed down Ridley theme with a mix of Kraid's theme to me

Last edited:

Wiinner159

Smash Hero
NNID
Make a guess...
3DS FC
2251-6491-9042
Gonna add on to this. Listen closely to the music when Samus fights the Metroids in Samus Returns' trailer. Sounds like a slowed down Ridley theme with a mix of Kraid's theme to me
Actually reminds me more of this
But this song does also have a bit of a slowed down Ridley feel to it in parts of the melody
EDIT: Wait a sec as the comments point out this theme is also a remix of Arachnis X from Fusion, the veins go deeper and deeper it seems. Does make sense since 'ol Arachnus originally showed up in Metroid II, so maybe that's what it's based on?

Last edited:

AndreaAC

Ridley's Propaganda Artist
Actually reminds me more of this
But this song does also have a bit of a slowed down Ridley feel to it in parts of the melody
EDIT: Wait a sec as the comments point out this theme is also a remix of Arachnis X from Fusion, the veins go deeper and deeper it seems. Does make sense since 'ol Arachnus originally showed up in Metroid II, so maybe that's what it's based on?
XD I thought it sounded like Rid's theme too, it is kind of cool, but maybe a whole new remix in MP4 would be even better...I love most of the version of it.
RIDS.jpg

"So...Samus went back to SR388? Good grief...please tell me that means I can take this little pest to her, because keeping it around has been rather...boring, it just scares the heck out of my crew of fools, and I miss doing that myself...my vacations have lasted for way too long."

Top Bottom