• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social Lower Norfair

majorasmaskfan

Smash Journeyman
At least Ganondorf has some new Smashes. I was expecting him to be exactly as he was in the previous games with no changes at all lol.

Now that we have Ridley, for me it's:

-Funky Kong
-Captain Toad
-Mipha
-King K. Rool
-Cooking Mama
-Decidueye
-Waddle Dee
-Rex + Pyra
-Spyro
-Crash
-Rayman
-Banjo-Kazooie
-Spring Man
-Shovel Knight
-Travis Touchdown
-Simon Belmont

Out of these, I think Funky, Rayman, Spring Man, Simon, Travis, and Mipha are likely.
The fu my thing is technically oot ganondorf never uses a sword as a human

IsmaR

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
BRoomer
Ooromine IV, the second planet from the sun FS-176
NNID
Super_Sand_Lezbo
3DS FC
3179-6068-0031
Switch FC
SW-7639-0141-7804
Haven't speculated further than hoping certain characters would come back (wanted PT/Squirtle and Ivysaur back more than I did an actual newcomer, Snake coming back over any other third parties, etc.) in a long time. The only obvious ones I wanted this game were in fact Inkling/Ridley (and Simon Belmont to go along with that rumor), with Krystal being my pipe dream (happy she's an assist done in her classic look/with her staff).

Guess if I had to pick some on the spot in particular order, I'd go with:

Dark Samus (Echoes be damned/go for broke with doubling the Metroid representation)
K. Rool (I'd say it's time)
Spring Man (DLC if nothing else I'd love a stage/music from the game)
Rex/Pyra (see above, though I'd prefer them over Elma for base roster)
Bandana Waddle Dee (also say it's time)
Dillon (don't expect it, but I love the concept of Dillon vs Sonic which even the creators of his game would love to see)
Tingle (based heavily on his own games, plus to go with the above comment, the same interview also mentioned SUPER TINGLE)
Shantae (any indie rep would be awesome though)
Ashley (we lack a true witch playstyle, plus if it meant more remixes of her theme, I'd be down)
Medusa (goes nicely with both more villains/females, she was in the original KI, plus it would be awesome seeing the inevitable tie-in/reference if Simon gets in)

Honorary mentions -
Dixie Kong (Echo Fighter wouldn't do her justice, IMO)
Kamek (if Yoshi needed a new rep, not a priority in my eyes)
Linkle
Shadow the Hedgehog (the only Echo that makes sense/came to mind immediately)
Doomguy (hey, we got Ridley)
Crash Bandicoot/Spyro (didn't grow up with them, but would be neat all the same)
Geno (for the whole dreams coming true thing going on)
10th Pokemon (really I can't discern/say I'd dislike any of the current popular choices, I just don't prioritize them between "playable fighter" and Pokeball)

Graizen

Smash Champion
You know the funniest part?

Watching Ridley's Live Reactions, I realized that many believed that Ridley was a gigantic dinosaur that would never fit in the game. Some people even said that he had been too shrunken.

But as you can see in several Ridley pictures, it has never been that big.

vVv Rapture

Smash Lord
Writing Team
It's pretty much a non-issue. I never understood why a character's size/design in their canon game would affect how they appear in Smash, which isn't canon and deliberately alters many characters to make sure they fit properly in the game. Mewtwo is over six and a half feet tall, yet not much larger than Kirby in Smash.

Really people who argued against Ridley did so because proportions -- by shrinking him, he'd look weird with his thin, yet long, lanky limbs and neck. Which might've been true to some extent. So Sakurai did the smart thing and altered his design. Difference is that pro-Ridley people *knew from the get-go* that this is how it'd have to happen, and anti-Ridley people didn't think the same way.

Ridley is definitely big as hell in Metroid games, but that was never a good argument for why he couldn't work in Smash.

MasterOfKnees

Space Pirate
NNID
KneeMaster
Switch FC
SW-6310-1174-0352
The funny thing is that nobody has talked about the size "issue" since the reveal, when it's official people are suddenly willing to accept him being shrunken down, where as before detractors were talking as if it was a principles issue ("Ridley has to be able to grab Samus with one hand, otherwise it isn't Ridley").

Kinda reminds me of how a common counterargument to Sonic's inclusion was that he was lacking in moveset potential, but even when three of his special moves turned out to be rolling into a ball nobody gave a **** anymore. A lot of these implementation concerns that people have turn out to be complete bogus, or at least not significant enough to keep a character out.

Last edited:

StormC

Smash Hero
You know the funniest part?

Watching Ridley's Live Reactions, I realized that many believed that Ridley was a gigantic dinosaur that would never fit in the game. Some people even said that he had been too shrunken.

But as you can see in several Ridley pictures, it has never been that big.

I mean Ridley is still huge there, lol. This is a more apt comparison:

Lolo Lolo

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
1693-1660-3630
Switch FC
SW 0891 5407 0511
Meanwhile on /r/smashbros people are freaking out because Waluigi's Assist Trophy wasn't in the demo even though it was shown off in the Direct. I'm so glad I'm not a Waluigi fan.
I am, but a lot of his fans are starting to be really annoying and shamefull.
People should really stop complaining and start appreciating what a wonderful game we have… and Ridley ofc.

I have a question for everyone. An argument for Ridley's inclusion was that Metroid needed more representation besides Samus, and because Ridley is the next most important Metroid character by far, he satisfies that need. Now that Ridley is playable, are there any other Metroid characters you want to see playable, or are you satisfied with the current lineup?
I think Sylux is the only one needed as a good representative of the Prime subseries, but I'm more than satisfied.
Althought I'd kill for a playable Adam Malkovich. I'm being serious, I know people hate him after OtherM, but I love that character even more after that game. At least give me an AT of him Sakurai!

I believe customs are gone according to treehouse. Nice speculation though.
I hope so, I hated them. The Miis should be the only ones with customizable movesets.

Something that dawned on me earlier.

Remember this little snot?

Guess he ran his mouth too much and is paying the price for it now.
I remember this. It'd be funny to kick his a$$ as Ridley :chuckle:
However I never hated him for that, I always found the Badge Arcade Bunny very funny and I really love his AT ahah

Last edited:

Graizen

Smash Champion
In defense, i think Sakurai would bait people with a Waluigi AT , just to show him as a characters later on.

The funny thing is that nobody has talked about the size "issue" since the reveal, when it's official people are suddenly willing to accept him being shrunken down, where as before detractors were talking as if it was a principles issue ("Ridley has to be able to grab Samus with one hand, otherwise it isn't Ridley").

Kinda reminds me of how a common counterargument to Sonic's inclusion was that he was lacking in moveset potential, but even when three of his special moves turned out to be rolling into a ball nobody gave a **** anymore. A lot of these implementation concerns that people have turn out to be complete bogus, or at least not significant enough to keep a character out.
There are many concepts created by random people on this subject.

There are people who do not think that any character that was not born in Video Games will be able to enter the game, but anyone should know that this can change with a snap of Sakurai's fingers.

Or even the fact that we can not have several characters from outside Nintendo, which went downhill when Ryu was put on the game with Megaman.

These people need to understand that any character can enter the game. It does not matter who it is. Everything is Sakurai's will.

vVv Rapture

Smash Lord
Writing Team
I'm definitely more than satisfied with the Metroid rep for Smash. We have the two most important characters in the franchise and a variation of one of those two. That's more than enough for me. After that, I think Dark Samus (individual or echo) and Sylux would be good picks, and probably the only picks worth it at this point. But I don't think they're necessary. We've got the protagonist and antagonist for a series without many important characters (and without many characters at all, too). And we're not Pokemon or Zelda or Mario or anything. I think we're good.

StormC

Smash Hero
Not to be all “Metroid is about isolation so only Samus should be playable” but I don’t think any other Metroid characters really warrant being playable. I wouldn’t mind Dark Samus but she’s pretty low on the priority list to say the least. Sylux is a non-entity at this point.

Last edited:

Megadoomer

Writing Team
Switch FC
SW-0351-1523-9047
In defense, i think Sakurai would bait people with a Waluigi AT , just to show him as a characters later on.

Best not to go down that road. We thought the same sort of thing about Ridley during Smash 4 - why would he take so long to show a stage hazard? - and that didn't exactly work out.

MasterOfKnees

Space Pirate
NNID
KneeMaster
Switch FC
SW-6310-1174-0352
I'm definitely more than satisfied with the Metroid rep for Smash. We have the two most important characters in the franchise and a variation of one of those two. That's more than enough for me. After that, I think Dark Samus (individual or echo) and Sylux would be good picks, and probably the only picks worth it at this point. But I don't think they're necessary. We've got the protagonist and antagonist for a series without many important characters (and without many characters at all, too). And we're not Pokemon or Zelda or Mario or anything. I think we're good.
I honestly think we'd be fine with just Samus and Ridley, ZSS is a nice bonus we got along the way. If we got a 4th Metroid character we'd be bordering on overrepresentation (which I of course wouldn't mind at all).

vVv Rapture

Smash Lord
Writing Team
Not to be all “Metroid is about isolation so only Samus should be playable” but I don’t think any other Metroid characters really warrant being playable. I wouldn’t mind Dark Samus but she’s pretty low on the priority list to say the least. Sylux is a non-entity at this point.

Agreed. Although at least Dark Samus is a primary antagonist in Prime and would have a unique moveset. I'd be down for DS, but I do think she's unnecessary. Samus and Ridley, plus ZSS, wholely represent the series imo.

I honestly think we'd be fine with just Samus and Ridley, ZSS is a nice bonus we got along the way. If we got a 4th Metroid character we'd be bordering on overrepresentation (which I of course wouldn't mind at all).
Agreed here too.

Best not to go down that road. We thought the same sort of thing about Ridley during Smash 4 - why would he take so long to show a stage hazard? - and that didn't exactly work out.
Those days were so rough. Can't believe we made it this far lmao.

OmegaX5000

Smash Journeyman
Now that we finally have Ridley as a playable character in this game, the only other Metroid characters that I'd like to play as are either Dark Samus or Anthony Higgs. Everyone else has already done a good job explaining why Dark Samus would work, and I agree with the points made in DS's favor. Now, as for Anthony...

While many people have expressed their distaste or outright hatred of Other M, I actually found it to be a decent game. The gameplay was probably my favorite aspect of it, while the story definitely had its flaws. Granted, it helps that it was the very first (and currently only) Metroid game I've played, but I really grew to liking Anthony throughout the course of that game. He really felt like that longtime friend who you wouldn't mind hanging out with after work and laughing it up over a cold drink. Plus, he's the closest to a human friend that Samus has in the games at this point, and he's not completely helpless in combat. Further proof being that he was the sole survivor out of the group of GF troopers on that mission, and even saved the day in the end by stopping the Bottle Ship after his supposed "death" thanks to Roidley.

As for Sylux or any of the other Prime Hunters from...well, Metroid Prime Hunters, I could not care less about those guys. From what I've read up on them and seen of them in the very few videos of Hunters on YouTube (it's almost like that game doesn't even exist on that site!) they seemed very inconsequential to me.

Outside of Metroid characters, these are the first ten that I'd like to see playable off the top of my head, in no particular order (so as to not pick favorites):
Rayman
Decidueye
Medusa (Kid Icarus: Uprising)
Hades (Kid Icarus: Uprising)
Shovel Knight
Shantae
King K. Rool
Dixie Kong
Blaze the cat (unlikely, I know)
Black Shadow (F-Zero)

vVv Rapture

Smash Lord
Writing Team
While many people have expressed their distaste or outright hatred of Other M, I actually found it to be a decent game. The gameplay was probably my favorite aspect of it, while the story definitely had its flaws. Granted, it helps that it was the very first (and currently only) Metroid game I've played, but I really grew to liking Anthony throughout the course of that game. He really felt like that longtime friend who you wouldn't mind hanging out with after work and laughing it up over a cold drink. Plus, he's the closest to a human friend that Samus has in the games at this point, and he's not completely helpless in combat. Further proof being that he was the sole survivor out of the group of GF troopers on that mission, and even saved the day in the end by stopping the Bottle Ship after his supposed "death" thanks to Roidley.
I don't want this to devolve into an anti-OM situation but real talk Other M was horrendous. One of the worst games I've ever played, legitimately an awful game. The worst Metroid game by far and one of the worst AAA games of 2010 and that time period.

Not only that, but he's just a regular character without any personality or good development whatsoever. I'd actually be a bit cheesed if he made it in to represent Smash over Dark Samus, Sylux, Rundas, or literally anyone else.

Not only that, but his appearance in Other M ruined the mystique and great development they did for his character in Fusion.

That game was so bad man god damn lmao

EDIT: Thought you said Adam, not Anthony. But I'll keep this for posture since fk Adam and Other M.

Last edited:

OmegaX5000

Smash Journeyman
I don't want this to devolve into an anti-OM situation but real talk Other M was horrendous. One of the worst games I've ever played, legitimately an awful game. The worst Metroid game by far and one of the worst AAA games of 2010 and that time period.

Not only that, but he's just a regular character without any personality or good development whatsoever. I'd actually be a bit cheesed if he made it in to represent Smash over Dark Samus, Sylux, Rundas, or literally anyone else.

Not only that, but his appearance in Other M ruined the mystique and great development they did for his character in Fusion.

That game was so bad man god damn lmao
I don't remember Anthony appearing in Fusion? Are you confusing him with Adam? Cause I was talking about the guy that was introduced with the memetic "Remember Me?"

vVv Rapture

Smash Lord
Writing Team
I don't remember Anthony appearing in Fusion? Are you confusing him with Adam? Cause I was talking about the guy that was introduced with the memetic "Remember Me?"
LOL yo my bad, I thought you said Adam and just got blinded by hate. My apologies. Yeah I thought you were talking about Adam.

Anthony eh, not as bad as Adam. LOL my bad again.

As for Anthony, I don't think he'd be a good representative for Metroid either. He's just a guy. But he definitely wouldn't be worse than Adam. I'd just like no Other M rep at all if possible.

Last edited:

OmegaX5000

Smash Journeyman
LOL yo my bad, I thought you said Adam and just got blinded by hate. My apologies. Yeah I thought you were talking about Adam.

Anthony eh, not as bad as Adam. LOL my bad again.

As for Anthony, I don't think he'd be a good representative for Metroid either. He's just a guy. But he definitely wouldn't be worse than Adam. I'd just like no Other M rep at all if possible.
That's fair, I can understand why you don't like him or that game too. I figured he was the most memorable character introduced in that game and thought he'd be fun to see again. Personally, I wouldn't mind if he appeared in a future Metroid title as a background character, say hi to Samus and give her a high-five as they pass by each other.

CaptainAmerica

Smash Master
NNID
TomOfHyrule
Oh I bet AwkwardZombie’s gonna have a field day now. Katie’s got great comics for Smash. I need to check her stuff out again.

After Ridley getting in, and ganondorf being a clone again my top 10 is now
1. Pig ganon
2. King K rool
3. A zora rep
4. A goron rep
5. Dixie Kong
6.Simon Belmont
7. Waluigi
8. Twintelle
9. A Rito rep
10. A female Gerudo rep
Well, my #1 is off the lost now too. What an odd feeling. The Kroc is still up there, but another character is rising up fast since he’s so unlikely and would hype me unimaginably. Otherwise, I don’t even think I have ten...
1. Dovahkiin
2. K. Rool
...rather large gap
3. Urbosa
4. Midna (RIP)
I think that's about it.

vVv Rapture

Smash Lord
Writing Team
That's fair, I can understand why you don't like him or that game too. I figured he was the most memorable character introduced in that game and thought he'd be fun to see again. Personally, I wouldn't mind if he appeared in a future Metroid title as a background character, say hi to Samus and give her a high-five as they pass by each other.
Yeah that I'd be okay with. I like Anthony as a character, and I would like to see more of him in Metroid. He was one of the very few highlights of that game.

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble
I got confused I thought Ridley's character was criticized but it was Anthony but actually Adam? Other M contains a secret ending cutscene if you respond "Yes abusive prick" whenever Adam says something and Anthony takes off his helmet and peels his face off to reveal Ridley's face "Be vewy vewy quiet, I'm hunting for bowty hunters!"

DarkFalcon

Smash Champion
It's cool how Sakurai kept his weird neck, but at the same time not have it be pencil thin like in Brawl. Not all Ridley designs have the 2 jointed neck and I never really LOVED how it looked in some of his appearances, but they really did good here.

Dalek_Kolt

Smash Master
Angelglory Angelglory
Quick request, do you still have the Brawl Ridley/Meta Ridley and Other M models? I want to see them relative to Samus in their original, unshrunk sizes for a quick project.

IronTed

Smash Ace
I think Metroid has satisfactory representation as it stands. I'm generally opposed to one off characters (sorry not sorry Anthony and the other various hunters), especially those who aren't notable. Currently, barring Samus and Ridley, here are the Metroid characters to have multiple appearances:

1. Kraid. "Insert Too Big meme here". But for real, he's not happening.
  2. Mother Brain. Do I really need to explain why this is a no?
  3. The Baby. Pretty self-explanatory why not.
  4. Phantoon. I think it would be funny, but it's not going to be a thing.
  5. Adam. Let's not go here.
  6. Dark Samus. Actually is important, and workable, and still could be playable. But she'd be a semi-clone at best, an echo fighter at worst.
  7. Sylux. He only makes it in due to 2 rather boring cameos. Realistically he's just a cheap Samus clone.
Don't @ me if I forgot someone.

Last edited:

Yoshisaurus Rex

Smash Champion
Switch FC
SW-1023-7514-9432
I think Metroid has satisfactory representation as it stands. I'm generally opposed to one off characters (sorry not sorry Anthony and the other various hunters), especially those who aren't notable. Currently, barring Samus and Ridley, here are the Metroid characters to have multiple appearances:

1. Kraid. "Insert Too Big meme here". But for real, he's not happening.
  2. Mother Brain. Do I really need to explain why this is a no?
  3. The Baby. Pretty self-explanatory why not.
  4. Phantoon. I think it would be funny, but it's not going to be a thing.
  5. Adam. Let's not go here.
  6. Dark Samus. Actually is important, and workable, and still could be playable. But she'd be a semi-clone at best, an echo fighter at worst.
  7. Sylux. He only makes it in due to 2 rather boring cameos. Realistically he's just a cheap Samus clone.
Don't @ me if I forgot someone.
Metroid doesn't seem to have many viable reps outside Sylux and Dark Samus.

Off-topic: your pfp is absolutely perfect

D

Deleted member

Bit late to the party but i just gotta say it's incredibly wonderful to see Ridley finally get in in full playable glory, i haven't been this satisfied with a smash reveal like this one.

DarkFalcon

Smash Champion
With Ridley in the only reps that'd make sense is Sylux and Dark Samus. Both have their issues. Sylux isn't relevant just yet, but soon he will be. Dark Samus had her time, and would be a unique fighter, but her time of relevance is over, unless she somehow makes a comeback.

Samus losing her Dark Samus alt raises eyebrows, but people have pointed out all alts weren't in the E3 build. Same with Assist Trophies. We'll just have to wait and see.

IronWarrior94

Smash Journeyman
Honestly, what Metroid deserves at this point is good stage representation. Fans have been asking for stages based on beloved maps like Phendrana, Sanctuary Fortress, and Skytown for a while now.

TonyMyOnly

Smash Apprentice
Honestly, what Metroid deserves at this point is good stage representation. Fans have been asking for stages based on beloved maps like Phendrana, Sanctuary Fortress, and Skytown for a while now.
You mean you don't like a collection of platforms with rising lava/acid?

Smooth Criminal

Da Cheef
NNID
boundless_light
I honestly don't know what other characters I'd want in Smash now. Smash 4's roster was simply incredible, and with the inclusion of all previous characters in the franchise plus awesome-as-hell newcomers Ridley and Inklings in Ultimate, I feel like any more additions are icing on a big ass frickin multi-layered cake.

Smooth Criminal

SamuXCI

Smash Cadet
NNID
SamuXCI
3DS FC
0877-1107-8984
I must say hats off to people who still voted for Ridley in the Smash Ballot even after the Pyrosphere let down. I know I did my part with my disgusting amount of Ridley votes.

NintenRob

Rising YouTuber
Writing Team
NNID
trpdm.wilton
Yeah I'm satisfied with just Samus and Ridley. They're the only characters with any real importance to the overall series. Anyone else is kinda unnecessary

SmashKeks

Smash Ace
Yeah I'm satisfied with just Samus and Ridley. They're the only characters with any real importance to the overall series. Anyone else is kinda unnecessary
No way. Now that the Ridley fight is over and we have him as a character, I'm moving the fight to my boy Commander Adam Malkovich.

Last edited:

Dhragen

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Dhragen
The Metroid representation right now it's great: 3 playable characters, 3 confirmed returning Stages (Brinstar, Norfair and Frigate Orpheon) and 2 confirmed Assist Thropies (Mother Brain and Metroid). Any more would be a nice bonus (like Dark Samus, even if she ends being echo o be an Assist Thropie again).

I don't care much about brand new stages, but what i am looking for right now is the return of Brinstar Dephts. Now that they are upgrading the past stages, i am curious how a new 3d kraid would looks like (and would be awesome for an event smash that you have to battle Ridley on Brinstar Dephts, like fighting both metroid og bosses at the same time)

Wiinner159

Smash Hero
NNID
Make a guess...
3DS FC
2251-6491-9042
The Metroid representation right now it's great: 3 playable characters, 3 confirmed returning Stages (Brinstar, Norfair and Frigate Orpheon) and 2 confirmed Assist Thropies (Mother Brain and Metroid). Any more would be a nice bonus (like Dark Samus, even if she ends being echo o be an Assist Thropie again).

I don't care much about brand new stages, but what i am looking for right now is the return of Brinstar Dephts. Now that they are upgrading the past stages, i am curious how a new 3d kraid would looks like (and would be awesome for an event smash that you have to battle Ridley on Brinstar Dephts, like fighting both metroid og bosses at the same time)
Yeah, I'm honestly a little surprised I'm not the only one who wants that stage back, here's hoping with it's popularity it does come back, in all of it's gimmicky ledge jank glory!

JayJay55

Smash Journeyman
Man it’s seriously been a while, good to see a lot of people back and in the social. My jaw dropped and felt like it was prepared to disjoint from the sight of seeing the big guy confirmed as a fighter for Smash. Gotta say the roster so far is looking real crisp for Smash Ult. Can’t wait until I can play Ridley, just as the rest of you guys.

Top Bottom