• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Lucario is a Monster in Stamina Mode

Rebonack

Smash Apprentice
Chain-grab that goes clean across the stage on most of the cast. The Aura Boost goes from an iffy source of power that you can lose with a single solid hit to 'RAWR, NOM YOU!' on account of lasting until the round is over.

That said, I'm currently working on some variant rules for Stamina mode to make things a bit more interesting and I look to you, the awesome users of Brawl's most awesome character, for your aid.

Thus far I have the starting Stamina of each character based on weight, with a slight boost to the present low-tier characters. The problem is, of course, that the Stock Match tier list isn't the same as the Stamina Mode tier list. If it's to be balanced in that regard it'll need some people play-testing the concept.

The other important development that has come about from the original thread is the addition of setting the damage ratio to 1.1. This makes up-tilt locks escapable as well as many chain-grabs. Most low-percentage combos are still viable through the whole game, which is a nice change of pace from regular Brawl.

So what says you, Lucario board? Are combos though a whole match and full-aura for nearly a third of the battle a boon to our blue jackal buddy?

Rebonack

Smash Apprentice
Stamina mode is irrelevant to competitive interests.
It sure is a good thing that I didn't suggest that this would in any way improve or alter the competitive scene then, huh?

I think it would be a great alternative. People should host stamina tournaments. that would be very interesting. <3
Certainly interesting, but I doubt that it would catch on in tournies unless the concept proves to be a really good one. I honestly think that tournaments with L/S canceling via hacking are probably more likely than this. But that's another topic all together.

I would think Sheik, among other chars, would jump up a lot on tier if stamina were involved.
Sheik, Olimar, Samus, Link. The list goes on. Pretty much everyone that got clobbered with bad recovery or difficulty scoring KOs tends to do quite a bit better in Stamina mode. At the same time characters with broken edge games *cough*MetaKnight*cough* or absolutely crazy KO ability *hack*G&W*cough* get a bit of a nerf since they can't rely on that to win any longer.

It certainly shakes up the tier list a bit if nothing else.

I'm hoping that some of you guys would be willing to try this out with your friends and see what you think. Honest feed-back would be great.

phi1ny3

Not the Mama
actually, I would think that MK would be hurt, but would still be uber-tier, due to scary priority, good game, and the fact that if ur edgegaming, the guy recovering still can't defend as well from attacks, thus still making edgegame a viable tactic (just not as good of a one).

tedward2000

Smash Champion
Hey guys!
Maybe we can pull something out of this, instead of FLAMING him for actually PLAYING the game in one of the MANY ways it can be played.

Ever think of that???
-t2

*edit

Its like Tennis and RacketBall.
Both very different and yet slightly similar.
However, tactics from Both games can be used interchangeably.
o0

phi1ny3

Not the Mama
We never shot down Infi-Tan when he did this... I'm for trying it, since it's not like our metagame discussion is going any better.
Edit: whoops, I posted in wrong thread. Meant to put this in the play Lucario differently thread. Tho who knows? we might find the dynamics of attacks differentially useful under a different light.

tedward2000

Smash Champion
As much as i dislike flaming you have to admit that this thread is useless and will not help competitive players at all.
Heh, true, Unless there is Competitive Stamina mode players.

But like Phil said, somethings are found under a different light.
And what I'm saying is roughly the same thing, just with a bit more sting.
-t2

Rebonack

Smash Apprentice
Actually more like Soul Caliber than Street Fighter, but that's neither here nor there.

And if one is looking for applications to standard Brawl the most obvious would be the ability to practice one's game at a rather specific knock-back level. But yes, clearly the meta-game for Lucario in standard Brawl isn't directly related.

LordoftheMorning

Smash Champion
I agree with tedward. In melee, stamina mode always interested me, but it quickly became boring because there was ALWAYS 100% health, which isn't a substantial game. In brawl that restriction is no longer with us and I think special rule brawl is on the whole more ignored that it should be. I mean.... the game was MADE with rule variances no?

Ilucamy

Smash Journeyman
Brawl Stamina should have stocks XD. You die once then someone picks up your body and floats you up to the top of the screen where you become a star. Then you come back down like in a normal match. :)

Anyway, I think I posted on your thread explaining why Lucario is so cheap in stamina mode (haven't checked it since though). Now, I don't really understand what you're trying to ask. Is it opinions on Lucario in stamina mode or what?

Rebonack

Smash Apprentice
Brawl Stamina should have stocks XD. You die once then someone picks up your body and floats you up to the top of the screen where you become a star. Then you come back down like in a normal match. :)

Anyway, I think I posted on your thread explaining why Lucario is so cheap in stamina mode (haven't checked it since though). Now, I don't really understand what you're trying to ask. Is it opinions on Lucario in stamina mode or what?
More or less opinions on Lucy in stamina mode, how it would change his play-style and metagame basically.

Also asking for some aid in this little project of mine.

And I was considering your comments on Lucario's relative brokenness. Since you weighed in I found that setting the damage ratio to 1.1 makes his chain-grab less of a sure thing against a goodly portion of the cast. Heavies still take it pretty hard though.

Silvran

Smash Apprentice
I love the "RAAAAAAAAR, I DON'T APPROVE OF STAMINA/TRYING SOMETHING NEW" posts. They're so fun(ny).

On topic, this actually is interesting. You could even try things like adding the flowers on people's heads to prevent projectile camping... you could use bunny hoods to change the aerial physics... low grav... high grav... there really is a lot you could do. And with a focus on not taking damage instead of not getting knocked off, it could do wonders for people willing to dedicate some time to their dodge/roll/spacing game.

Alus

Smash Champion
NNID
Starsauce
3DS FC
5327-1023-2754
I agree with tedward. In melee, stamina mode always interested me, but it quickly became boring because there was ALWAYS 100% health, which isn't a substantial game. In brawl that restriction is no longer with us and I think special rule brawl is on the whole more ignored that it should be. I mean.... the game was MADE with rule variances no?
it was 150%

babybaby 12

Smash Cadet
Even though I hate Tier Lists, I believe that Captain Falcon can go up at least 20 Tiers in Stamina Mode. If not...

TIERS ARE FOR QUEERS!

Top Bottom