• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Lucario Matchup Thread: Luigi!

Timbers

check me out
Hopefully not imposing, but I'll take my chances. We are currently discussing Lucario vs. Luigi over at the Lucario boards and it's Luigi's' chance to shine. =P! If you feel you can contribute to this matchup, then please do!

-What specific troubles do you have with Lucario as a Luigi player? Does Lucario shut down any of your game?

-What advantages do you feel Lucario has against you?

-What disadvantages do you feel Lucario has against you?

-Is there any method or strategic goal you would use to win this match?

-What stages would you want to counterpick against a Lucario? What stages would you want to avoid?

I would greatly appreciate it if players of the board would give their input on the matches, thanks!

We've already had several Luigi mans pop in and give their advice over at the matchup thread, so that's been great =)

SparkEd

Smash Journeyman
You're not imposing. We...just need all the activity we can get <_>;;;

-What specific troubles do you have with Lucario as a Luigi player? Does Lucario shut down any of your game?
Eh, sometimes, sometimes not, it really depends on the situation; if Luigi's over Lucario, then there's a bit of a hassle; from the bottom, I just dodge the obligatory DAir and SH NAir his face off :p ..But If I'm in the Air It's a UAir, Tornado, or NAir. Pick your poison.

Aura. Makes me feel compelled to Shoryuken him. ...Or wait the extra 10% and Up Tilt FSmash Kill. :3
I...sort of back off.
Oh yeah, Aura Sphere from nowhere D:

When he's in my face, he's just ASKING to be hit. Also, NAir > Force Palm CG.

Sort of leaning towards offensive. I get a bit more careful when Lucario starts to get Instant Steroids over 80% or something.

-What stages would you want to counterpick against a Lucario? What stages would you want to avoid?
Battlefield, Smashville, Corneria, Rainbow Cruise, and Yoshi's Island come to mind. Low ceilings + Fire Punch =Ruh roh. Also the sheer amount of platforms means lots of UTilt juggling. (Minus Corneria, I still list it though due to low ceiling and place to Fire Punch without punishment.) And Luigi just does plain well in Yoshi's Island for some reason. :p It's like a lucky charm for him...and the tiling platforms let him UTilt in peace.
I... Guess Pictochat, Final Destination, Norfair (ew) and (Ironically) Luigi's Mansion are good counterpicks against him. Weird Lips=Missed Recovery, And to and extent all of these stages have High Ceilings. And Norfair just isn't a good stage for Luigi, lava hurts him, I dunno why, maybe it's just me :/

hippiedude92

Smash Hero
Lol. If it's for that matchup chart thinggy or that inverse thread then lol to that x]

Although I posted extensively I'll be happy to post for you since i'm bored as hell.

Most likely the common Dair if hes above you, but i've found my ways around that as long it comes into timing, the WoP Fair is pretty homo, also his wavebouncing! THAT THING PISSES ME OFF SON. Great mindgame though. His aura sphere and his instant steriods (lmao) when hes behind in stocks and probably a Force Palm CG at early %s

He wins against ground game and projectile game. His fully charged or half way charged Aura sphere can be tricky against spotdodgers because they'll somewhat mess up on dodging it. Also it cancels out fireballs and tornado. He also wins in the air ONLY if hes below you because his upair > everything we got.

Personally, I thought Lucario sucked at gimping until I saw that I'm unable to camp holding the edge because a shorthop Dair leads to a stage spike forcing Luigi to either a ko or a rising tornado last resort move.

Probably a empty SH OR a shorthopped fireball with tornado as it covers the ground pretty much elsewhere.

If anything, I'd avoid yoshi's island since I know about Lucario's wall cling techique. Also I'd like to avoid places with campers like FD, sometimes Smashville (although I'd pick this as a counter or whatever or a great startoff because I know how to abuse that moving platform decently). Probably I'd pick lylat cruise and battlefield because Luigi dominates purely there and its aerial combo heaven for him not to mention lylat tilts occasionally messing up Lucario's recovery. Also I think luigi's mansion is the best place for counterpicking because it ruins projectiles, you can effin utilt the living crap outta them because of the low ceiling in the mansion. Maybe I'd like to avoid Delflino probably cus there's wall clinging stuff for Lucario

LuigiKing

Smash Lord
Well I don't have enough time to leave as nice of a post as the previous two beasts, but heres what I got.

One of my roommates plays Lucario fairly well, so I know how to get around a lot of his techniques. With Lucario I am very scared of getting too close to him on the ground. Lucario has amazing grap opportunities and powershielding makes me a little nervous to approach with short hopped nairs. I have found, however, that I can easily approach with the tornado as long as Lucario does NOT have a fully charged aura blast in store for me, considering it will clang against a weaker charge.

I feel that I cannot gimp Lucario no matter what I try to do. Lucario has great recovery, and wall of paining the back air does not seem to cut it for me at this point. It works at high percents, but I simply cannot gimp him. I do, however, think that Lucario is outmatched by Luigi in the air, simply because Luigi's Uair can get through Lucario's dair fairly easily when spaced properly. I also think Lucario's floatiness is really a problem against Luigi, you can juggle him very easily.

When dealing with Lucario I play the fireball game at low percents, primarily because its faster than spamming uncharged aura spheres. It works wonders for approaching, and my Lucario friend cannot seem to deal with it very well. I also work in rising tornados off stage simply because its too fast for Lucario's laggy air game to deal with. The only problem is that I get waaaay to itchy for the uppercut when Lucario gets to that breaking point where the aura becomes a problem. I want to get rid of Lucario before his aura becomes a problem, and get punished for it a lot..... Take advantage of this ^_^

As far as stages go, I go with battlefield or lylat. Pretty much anything with platforms. Works wonders :)

Hope I could be of some help.

Timbers

check me out
It's to help contribute to our matchup thread =P

On the off chance Lucarios aren't that familiar with the matchup, we like to ask the other guys (in this case, you dudes :p) what you think about the matchup.

Thanks for the help guys x) Anymore info on the matchup is greatly appreciated.

Razz113

Smash Cadet
hehe if i wasnt working so much id b more than happy to contribute but basically everythings hippie says is what id go with. we say pretty much the same things lol.

Top Bottom