• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Lucario Mega Evolution Mechanics

Jerm

U Feelin' It?
NNID
Jermalie0
3DS FC
4940-5666-9945
So the Direct confirmed that Lucario will in fact mega evolve, but he failed to mention how he will do so. He also said that once mega evolved Lucario's aura will always be maxed...regardless of whether he is losing or not. How do you guys think he will initiate a mega evolution? I personally think that once he hits his last stock/ or the last minute in a time match, he will then proceed to mega evolve and will have maxed aura for that last stock/ last minute. This could be extremely OP since he could easily make a crazy comeback. I just have to say that Lucario looked amazing in that direct, I'm actually glad he's returning, and I look forward to turning him from a secondary in Brawl to a main in Smash 4.

Edit: Serebii says that Mega lucario is confirmed for his final smash. It didn't say anything like that in the direct but it makes sense, which is unfortunate because I would have loved to randomly mega evolve in a regular battle! Still, what did you guys think of Lucario's crazy aura buff? His Up B had insane distance, and it also has a hitbox which is awesome.

Last edited:

extremechiton

Smash Lord
NNID
Extremechiton
3DS FC
1590-4719-6526
Switch FC
SW 5498 9796 6766
looks like gameXplain was right about this one.
when you reach your peak aura power, you mega evolve.

Jsteel3

Smash Cadet
NNID
Jsteel3
3DS FC
1263-6252-1703
I think it will be activated with a taunt only one per match...as you see the sky was not dark when he was in the mega form so it is not a final smash

Jerm

U Feelin' It?
NNID
Jermalie0
3DS FC
4940-5666-9945
looks like gameXplain was right about this one.
when you reach your peak aura power, you mega evolve.
Im not so sure...Serebii says one thing but Sakurai never said that himself so who knows. I would looooove if it wasn't his final smash since he looked epic af in the direct.

I think it will be activated with a taunt only one per match...as you see the sky was not dark when he was in the mega form so it is not a final smash
Im on brawl right now testing Wario-man. When you get the smash ball it goes dark, but right when you activate Wario-man the screen goes back to normal.

Last edited by a moderator:

extremechiton

Smash Lord
NNID
Extremechiton
3DS FC
1590-4719-6526
Switch FC
SW 5498 9796 6766
during the footage, sakurai didnt say it was his final smash. and besides. its a great way to know if your at your peak power. in brawl you had to guess.

Ryu Myuutsu

Smash Champion
NNID
BahamurShin
3DS FC
3668-9945-1996
He didn't specify, hopefully it's not his FS so I can use Megario in competitive battles xD

•Col•

Smash Champion
Right now I'm thinking that the mega form actually isn't a final smash mechanic. Sakurai never explicitly stated it was a Final Smash (although it possibly could have been out of the translation?), and as he's going over all the characters, it is specifically pointed out in the text that something is a final smash, like Little Mac's transformation. Could've just been an oversight I suppose.

TheGravyTrain

Smash Ace
NNID
Theboyingreen
The it was worded in the direct, it is not when you reach maximum power. Why else would he mention that your attacks are instantly brought up to full aura power? If you were already at full power, well duh you are brought to full power when you evolve. Like Colaya said, he didn't mention it as his FS like everyone else, so how will it work? The taunt idea is a cool one, but I don't see it happening. Hmm...

Shuriblur

Smash Journeyman
I could see it as a built in comeback mechanic for Lucario, like X-Factor in MvC3. But, I feel like that'll make him too OP because no one else has that. What if Mega Lucario (and in turn Mega Charizard X) are just costumes that alter how the characters behave?

If neither of those are true, it has to be his Final Smash...

•Col•

Smash Champion
I could see it as a built in comeback mechanic for Lucario, like X-Factor in MvC3. But, I feel like that'll make him too OP because no one else has that. What if Mega Lucario (and in turn Mega Charizard X) are just costumes that alter how the characters behave?

If neither of those are true, it has to be his Final Smash...
Sakurai explicitly stated that while in his mega form, his aura is maxed out. It's definitely not just a costume, otherwise why would anyone play default Lucario if you could play him with max aura 24/7?

Also, if it is a Final Smash, it's the only Final Smash in the game that's 100% useless in certain circumstances. If you already have max aura and get the smash ball, using your Final Smash to turn into Mega Lucario would do nothing for you. (Unless it gives you other benefits as well I guess?)

Maybe the translation wasn't perfect, and Sakurai meant that when Lucario has max aura, he turns into Mega Lucario? Also a taunt mechanic to transform into Mega Lucario wouldn't be completely broken as long as it's balanced correctly..

extremechiton

Smash Lord
NNID
Extremechiton
3DS FC
1590-4719-6526
Switch FC
SW 5498 9796 6766
but taunting to transform into mega lucario seems a little unbalanced already. that means you can have instant max aura power without needing to take damage. it would make more sense if he transformed when your damage reached its peak aura to signify that you are at max power. like how lil mac has a power meter that signifies max K.O punch.
although.... sakurai did only say "after" the mega evolution, which could possible just mean a final smash.

Sunnysunny

Blue-nubis
Premium
If it's taunt related then it would probably come with a limit. Like a "once per match" desperation move and only last a limited amount of time or something. It'd make sense. A pokemon can't stay in a state of mega evolution forever.

I don't think it's his final smash. Don't trust serebii on that if they have no source. If it is, then yea, theoretically that's a useless final smash if you're already maxed out. I don't think they'd do that. And again, the sky wasn't all dark like when others have there final smash ready.

Looks like it's gonna be an overwhelming power-steroid mechanic or an underwhelming final smash. Ha!

Last edited:

extremechiton

Smash Lord
NNID
Extremechiton
3DS FC
1590-4719-6526
Switch FC
SW 5498 9796 6766

I don't think it's his final smash. Don't trust serebii on that if they have no source. If it is, then yea, theoretically that's a useless final smash if you're already maxed out. I don't think they'd do that. And again, the sky wasn't all dark like when others have there final smash ready.
with all final smashes in brawl, you only glow and its dark when you possess the smash ball, but when you initiate the final smash, the glow goes away and it brightens up again (except for a few like pk star storm, zero laser, and maybe some others.)

•Col•

Smash Champion
In the clip showing Little Mac's transformation FS, the sky wasn't dark either so that isn't really evidence either way.

But considering how many buff ups all the characters have been getting, a taunt activated Mega evolution could work. Of course it'd have restrictions, like, you can only use it once per match for a limited amount of time, and you have to take a certain amount of damage across several lives before you're able to activate it.

And I've been getting the sense that his aura mechanics may only buff up his special moves now, rather than increasing his damage/knockback for all of his attacks. If that were the case, having max aura this time around won't mean that you're god mode anymore, so a mega evolution mechanic wouldn't be the most broken thing ever if that were the case.

Last edited:

Jerm

U Feelin' It?
NNID
Jermalie0
3DS FC
4940-5666-9945
At the very end of the direct it showed Mega-Lucario, followed by both Mega-Charizard as well as Greninja using his Final Smash, so just from that alone it is pretty obvious that it is going to be his final smash, which is unfortunate indeed since he looks epic af in his mega forme.

TheGravyTrain

Smash Ace
NNID
Theboyingreen
What about like Wario's fart? A recharge time of a couple minutes, either activated by the taunt (since all specials are accounted for) or just the second you reach the set time.

•Col•

Smash Champion
At the very end of the direct it showed Mega-Lucario, followed by both Mega-Charizard as well as Greninja using his Final Smash, so just from that alone it is pretty obvious that it is going to be his final smash, which is unfortunate indeed since he looks epic af in his mega forme.
To be fair, we don't know for sure if Mega Evolution is Charizard's Final Smash. A lot of the new characters (and even veterans) have some interesting new mechanics, so I wouldn't be 100% surprised if 'mega evolution' is some new mechanic for certain pokemon unrelated to Final Smashes.

Ryu Myuutsu

Smash Champion
NNID
BahamurShin
3DS FC
3668-9945-1996
You can't pretend that it's "obvious" when it wasn't explicitly told or showed.

Chaosmaster8753

Smash Apprentice
NNID
ChaoticZelos3578
3DS FC
2750-1187-7177
I don't think being a Final Smash does much justice to Mega Evolution for some reason.

Jerm

U Feelin' It?
NNID
Jermalie0
3DS FC
4940-5666-9945
To be fair, we don't know for sure if Mega Evolution is Charizard's Final Smash. A lot of the new characters (and even veterans) have some interesting new mechanics, so I wouldn't be 100% surprised if 'mega evolution' is some new mechanic for certain pokemon unrelated to Final Smashes.
I agree..if you think about it, a mega evolution is supposed to last an entire match, or at least until the pokemon is KO'd. The only way i could see mega evolution being a normal mechanic and not completely broken is for Lucario to transform once he hits his max peak at like 100% or higher. Then when he gets KO'd/ loses a stock he reverts back to normal until he hits 100% or higher again. That leaves to question how/when/why Charizard mega evolves.

MySmashmains6

Smash Cadet
NNID
ssb4sonicrules
Could the Mega Evolution work like it does in Pokémon X/Y? We will have a touch screen so maybe we could use a Mega Evolution once either a special meter fills or once per match. Then the Mega Evolution ends once you get K.O.'d.

extremechiton

Smash Lord
NNID
Extremechiton
3DS FC
1590-4719-6526
Switch FC
SW 5498 9796 6766
I agree..if you think about it, a mega evolution is supposed to last an entire match, or at least until the pokemon is KO'd. The only way i could see mega evolution being a normal mechanic and not completely broken is for Lucario to transform once he hits his max peak at like 100% or higher. Then when he gets KO'd/ loses a stock he reverts back to normal until he hits 100% or higher again. That leaves to question how/when/why Charizard mega evolves.
100% is too low for peak. In brawl it was 180% believe, and in smash 4 the aura effect is more prominent, so it may peak earlier, or itmay peak at 200%

LKnight

Smash Cadet
The only thing that makes me wary about Mega Evolution being a Final Smash was that in the direct it was singled out as if it was a specific mechanic. If it were a final smash I feel like it would have been more obviously pointed out.

Plus, as much as I love Mega Evolution, having it as a Final Smash feels like it would be a bit of a cop out.

Rickster

Smash Master
Switch FC
2713-1285-8029
If it's NOT a Final Smash, then I think it will be a one time thing. You can transform any time during the match, but only for a limited amount of time. It would follow the rules of Mega Evolution in the games, if they're want to be canon.

AgentHX

Smash Cadet
NNID
HotShotHunter
I'm expecting Mega Evolution for both Lucario and Charizard to be related to their final smashes in some way. In XY, every Pokemon Mega Evolves alongside an attack, so it very well could be the same here. For example, Lucario gets the Smash Ball. He then Mega Evolves into an Aura Storm, staying Mega once the attack is finished. Mega Lucario has full-powered Aura at all times, but other than that I'm assuming he's the same as regular Lucario. Since Lucario gets a somewhat-permanent buff (he'd undoubtedly go back to normal if he got KO'd) once the attack is over, I imagine his proper final smash would be relatively weak to compensate, but Aura Storm was already a pretty lackluster final smash so I wouldn't be surprised if this were the case.

Sonicguy726

Smash Lord
Considering charizard also has his mega, it would likely work the same way and obviously charizard doesn't have aura

Last edited:

Gune

Smash Lord
Considering charizard also has his mega, it would likely work the same way and obviously charizard doesn't have aura
We don't know if they megas work the same yet, honestly if all he get is cap aura for a FS I'll be dissapointed considering how well other charecters FS's are.

Last edited:

Kef

Smash Apprentice
Posted this is on reddit, but it received no feeback:

http://www.reddit.com/r/smashbros/comments/231gf6/lucarios_aura_system_and_potential_megaevolution/

Link to the Direct for reference: - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ImKoXwerl2c

I have not seen this mentioned in any other forums, but there is still the possibility this was already mentioned. Ignore my post of it has, but I have not seen any discussion of this.

Many players are wondering if Lucario's Megaevolution is a Final Smash or an actual mechanic within it's Aura system. While I cannot take this as a definitive answer, I will post some food for thought linked to some of my observations from the Direct.

Lucario's hands glow considerably more as his Aura grows stronger (nothing new). At [20:35], we can see this difference (default Lucario to powered up Lucario). Now that you've seen the visual cue, check out this other part of the footage.

At [20:41], Lucario performs his Up-B and flies to the other side of the stage, showing in conjunction with his blue glow that he was powered up. Lucario suffers a KO and respawns. Notice his glow is now gone. Move over to [17:43] and focus on Lucario. Lucario has this slightly distinctive glow (some sparkles) and is KO'd by Samus' Final Smash. He comes back with his glow intact.

Theories? Lucario's Aura mechanic reaches a point of maximum damage where he can turn into his Megaevolution.

His specials could serve as supers like PM, removing his Aura, but this is somewhat unlikely seeing how we see him throw a powered-up fireball and not lose his charge.

Thoughts? (More footage of Lucario getting KO'd would be appreciated)

Sonicguy726

Smash Lord
Posted this is on reddit, but it received no feeback:

http://www.reddit.com/r/smashbros/comments/231gf6/lucarios_aura_system_and_potential_megaevolution/

Link to the Direct for reference: - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ImKoXwerl2c

I have not seen this mentioned in any other forums, but there is still the possibility this was already mentioned. Ignore my post of it has, but I have not seen any discussion of this.

Many players are wondering if Lucario's Megaevolution is a Final Smash or an actual mechanic within it's Aura system. While I cannot take this as a definitive answer, I will post some food for thought linked to some of my observations from the Direct.

Lucario's hands glow considerably more as his Aura grows stronger (nothing new). At [20:35], we can see this difference (default Lucario to powered up Lucario). Now that you've seen the visual cue, check out this other part of the footage.

At [20:41], Lucario performs his Up-B and flies to the other side of the stage, showing in conjunction with his blue glow that he was powered up. Lucario suffers a KO and respawns. Notice his glow is now gone. Move over to [17:43] and focus on Lucario. Lucario has this slightly distinctive glow (some sparkles) and is KO'd by Samus' Final Smash. He comes back with his glow intact.

Theories? Lucario's Aura mechanic reaches a point of maximum damage where he can turn into his Megaevolution.

His specials could serve as supers like PM, removing his Aura, but this is somewhat unlikely seeing how we see him throw a powered-up fireball and not lose his charge.

Thoughts? (More footage of Lucario getting KO'd would be appreciated)
One problem, sakurai has shown us multiple times comparisons between not powered up and fully powered up, assuming he would transform at max aura this doesn't really make sense, I think it'll just be a final smash, aura storm was awful anyway

Kef

Smash Apprentice
One problem, sakurai has shown us multiple times comparisons between not powered up and fully powered up, assuming he would transform at max aura this doesn't really make sense, I think it'll just be a final smash, aura storm was awful anyway
There is still no explanation on why he gets to keep his aura one of the two times he is KO'd and in the other one he loses it. The post was not aimed at blatantly saying this is how the mega-evolution work, but to state an actual mechanic that is proven to be implemented and allow people to take their theories from there.

A Lucky Person

Smash Journeyman
NNID
aLuckyPerson
3DS FC
4914-3160-6884
I think that Lucario continued to glow because they were in training mode.

This is likely why he comes back down still powered up; they set the damage to a high number to make sure Samus' attack would kill them both. if this is training mode, then how are there three characters, you ask? I don't see why three characters can't be in training mode at once in this iteration of the game. I think it's expected at this point.

It's unfortunate, but I believe that this is a part of Lucario's final smash. As @ AgentHX AgentHX said above, Lucario and Charizard likely do a somewhat powerful final smash and then transform into their mega forms afterwards (until they die, maybe?)

Critzilean

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Critzilean
3DS FC
1693-2152-0414
Switch FC
SW-2556-2425-6120
This is likely why he comes back down still powered up; they set the damage to a high number to make sure Samus' attack would kill them both. if this is training mode, then how are there three characters, you ask? I don't see why three characters can't be in training mode at once in this iteration of the game. I think it's expected at this point.\
You can have up to four people in training mode in Brawl, so it's not new to this game.

Gune

Smash Lord
I think that Lucario continued to glow because they were in training mode.

This is likely why he comes back down still powered up; they set the damage to a high number to make sure Samus' attack would kill them both. if this is training mode, then how are there three characters, you ask? I don't see why three characters can't be in training mode at once in this iteration of the game. I think it's expected at this point.

It's unfortunate, but I believe that this is a part of Lucario's final smash. As @ AgentHX AgentHX said above, Lucario and Charizard likely do a somewhat powerful final smash and then transform into their mega forms afterwards (until they die, maybe?)
I don't think that was training mode, while in training you can choose 2 charecters one as the player and one as the dummy after that you can make more dummys of the same charecter but not choose another charecter, so I doubt he was in training mode but more likely in last place in a match as his aura powers up when he's losing also. There is also another thing that leads me to believe that Lucarios Mega is a addon to his mechanic, When sakurai was talking about the for glory mode Lucarios Hud display was unfinished still using the brawl picture not to mention he just flat out said mega evolution not 'final smash: mega evolution" so he's beating around the Bush on purpose considering everyone else who's FS was shown it was stated as so. My theory on this is that he has made lucarios mega evo a add on to his already existing mechanic, but has yet to implement transformation guage of some sort like little macs KO punch. Its not the best theory but it does make sense and would honestly spice Lucario up a bit.

Superyoshiom

Smash Master
NNID
Superyoshiom
When Charizard Mega Evolved in the trailer, the background was dark, and when Lucario mega evolved, it was normal lighting, so it might not be a final smash.

Top Bottom