• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Lucario move and special properties details!

Zauron

Smash Journeyman
I tested Lucario a decent amount over the last 48 hours on my friend's import copy. Found some interesting tidbits. Here's the details.

First and foremost, Lucario has a special property no one else in Brawl has - the more damaged Lucario is, the more damage and knockback all his attacks do. It seems to max out at 200% damage. A move that normally did 15% damage did 26% damage when he was at 200%, and knocked the opponent back about twice as far as normal.

One of the events in Event Mode actually is centered around this property, probably to make sure players know about it. It puts Lucario at around 200% damage and says to use his increased power to KO his opponents (this event also unlocks a new stage, incidentally). One Side+B instantly KO'd the enemies at normal difficulty for the event, but I don't know how strong the enemies actually were since it was an event and often enemies are handicapped in them.

Special moves:

NOTE: I don't play Pokemon so I don't know the real names of these moves, sorry.

B - Charged Shot - MewTwo style. Meaning it can hurt people while charging. At low charge it moves in a wavy pattern like MewTwo's. At high charge it flies fast and straight like Samus's.

Important Note: The maximum size of the charged shot energy ball is affected by Lucario's current damage percent. At 200% damage, its almost the size of his entire body, and very very powerful.

Interesting side use: My friend and I used Lucario to beat 15 minute multi-man Brawl with ease. We each used Lucario, stood under a platform, faced each other, and started charging our nuetral B so that the energy balls overlapped. If an enemy touched the charging energy balls, they'd get permenantly stuck between them and go up to 999 damage without ever moving. Eventually, we managed to get all the enemies stuck at the same time, and just waited for the timer to run down :).

Side B - Forward energy blast. Somewhat slow, decent range, powerful when Lucario is at high damage.

Important Note: If used at point-blank range, this move becomes a quick grab and slam away, somewhat like Bowser's original Side-B from Melee. This makes it a great approach move, as if they are far away it will hit them and keep your distance, but if you get close they can't block it because its a grab move.

Down B - Counter (like Marth). If hit at the beginning, Lucario warps and hits his opponent from behind. I'm not sure how it works with Projectiles (never pulled it off) but it might warp to the person that shot it and hit them, which would be neat.

However, this move has a major downside - like Marth's, he is vulnerable after using it until the animation finishes. The big downside though is that the time the actual reflection part of the move lasts is shorter than Marth's, but the time he is vulnerable after is almost twice as long. Most of the time I used this I ended up getting hit anyway :(.

Up B - Fast warp. Does no damage. Works kind of like Fox's Up+B in that he pauses for a moment (not as long as Fox) then goes in the direction you are pressing. However, he can also change his trajectory while traveling, making him move in an arc, which looks pretty neat. Also, unlike other Up+B's, he can Wall Cling if he hits a wall during it, which is good for extra recovery options.

Final Smash - Big energy bolt that can be aimed in any direction with your stick, fired from far above the stage. Pretty cool looking and deadly.

I can't remember all the details of his A moves, but you can see some videos for that.

The one thing I did want to say is that he still feels like "MewTwo that doesn't suck" to me. He's about as floaty, but heavier (doesn't die as easily), he has a similar double jump, his moves are somewhat sluggish (he's not a quick character). However, his attacks are much more effective than MewTwo's, and I'm sure his special property of doing more damage when he is hurt will be an interesting component of his gameplay.

Hope you guys found this useful - I don't plan to main Lucario at the moment so likely won't post any more here, but mostly just wanted to explain about his special property since I didn't see anyone else mention it before.

MysticKenji

Smash Master
First and foremost, Lucario has a special property no one else in Brawl has - the more damaged Lucario is, the more damage and knockback all his attacks do. It seems to max out at 200% damage. A move that normally did 15% damage did 26% damage when he was at 200%, and knocked the opponent back about twice as far as normal.
*jaw drop*

Lucario is a ****ing Saiyan.

Marthgreil

Smash Journeyman
I tested Lucario a decent amount over the last 48 hours on my friend's import copy. Found some interesting tidbits. Here's the details.

NOTE: I don't play Pokemon so I don't know the real names of these moves, sorry.

Special moves:

B - Charged Shot - MewTwo style. Meaning it can hurt people while charging. At low charge it moves in a wavy pattern like MewTwo's. At high charge it flies fast and straight like Samus's.

Important Note: The maximum size of the charged shot energy ball is affected by Lucario's current damage percent. At 200% damage, its almost the size of his entire body, and very very powerful.

Interesting side use: My friend and I used Lucario to beat 15 minute multi-man Brawl with ease. We each used Lucario, stood under a platform, faced each other, and started charging our nuetral B so that the energy balls overlapped. If an enemy touched the charging energy balls, they'd get permenantly stuck between them and go up to 999 damage without ever moving. Eventually, we managed to get all the enemies stuck at the same time, and just waited for the timer to run down :).

Side B - Forward energy blast. Somewhat slow, decent range, powerful when Lucario is at high damage.

Important Note: If used at point-blank range, this move becomes a quick grab and slam away, somewhat like Bowser's original Side-B from Melee. This makes it a great approach move, as if they are far away it will hit them and keep your distance, but if you get close they can't block it because its a grab move.

Down B - Counter (like Marth). If hit at the beginning, Lucario warps and hits his opponent from behind. I'm not sure how it works with Projectiles (never pulled it off) but it might warp to the person that shot it and hit them, which would be neat.

However, this move has a major downside - like Marth's, he is vulnerable after using it until the animation finishes. The big downside though is that the time the actual reflection part of the move lasts is shorter than Marth's, but the time he is vulnerable after is almost twice as long. Most of the time I used this I ended up getting hit anyway :(.

Up B - Fast warp. Does no damage. Works kind of like Fox's Up+B in that he pauses for a moment (not as long as Fox) then goes in the direction you are pressing. However, he can also change his trajectory while traveling, making him move in an arc, which looks pretty neat. Also, unlike other Up+B's, he can Wall Cling if he hits a wall during it, which is good for extra recovery options.

Final Smash - Big energy bolt that can be aimed in any direction with your stick, fired from far above the stage. Pretty cool looking and deadly.

I can't remember all the details of his A moves, but you can see some videos for that.

The one thing I did want to say is that he still feels like "MewTwo that doesn't suck" to me. He's about as floaty, but heavier (doesn't die as easily), he has a similar double jump, his moves are somewhat sluggish (he's not a quick character). However, his attacks are much more effective than MewTwo's, and I'm sure his special property of doing more damage when he is hurt will be an interesting component of his gameplay.

Hope you guys found this useful - I don't plan to main Lucario at the moment so likely won't post any more here, but mostly just wanted to explain about his special property since I didn't see anyone else mention it before.

I've seen his up b and and side b used in conjuction. He will be like the new Sheik.

Oathblivion

Smash Apprentice
Y'know, this post makes me want to main him. If I could get over my bias against him, then it would be a sure thing...

Honestly, no matter how many people say they are nothing alike, Lucario seems to be the closest thing to Mewtwo that we're going to get in Brawl, and by "close to Mewtwo" I mean a Mewtwo with four (maybe three) special moves that don't suck, weight, and a really cool special effect. Kind of makes it hard to choose between Diddy, Pit, PT, or Jiggs...

Anyway, thank you for sharing this. Any in depth info on Brawl is appreciated, -Oath

DarkDragoon

Smash Champion
NNID
LordDarkDragoon
Thanks for this info, I'll update the Offical Lucario FAQ with it.
I'll go review all my videos, see if there is any more evidence of this special property.

=/ Although, this property isn't all that great for Lucario, because I have seen him die in %s lower than 100 from mid-power characters like Link.

Also, although I lost the video I took of it, Ice Climbers threw their Ice Blocks at him, and he did the dodge, and warped behind them, and smacked them. He also did the same with Snakes Projectiles too.

Also, using it in the air successfully WILL warp you to the ground, but you WILL continue dashing forward for some distance, meaning, don't be facing or be over the edge when doing it in midair.

There is also more things that I'll be posting in the guide.
-DD

Firestorm88

Smash Lord
So basically, Lucario has reversal (Pokemon move) applied at all times.
Godammit. My two characters I like so far (YLink and MetaKnight) can't kill, this is gonna destroy them x.x

Dynamik

Smash Cadet
I guess the strategy is to kill Lucario at low damage with high knockback OR torture him with combos making it hard for him to attack you then you kill. Tough chance for anyone going against him.

TheSMASHtyke

Smash Journeyman
Ah. In the pokemon games, Lucarios has an Ability called Steadfast which this is probably based upon. This is absolutely amazing...

And to make a few notes, his neutral-B is called "Aura Sphere". It's debated what the rest of his move names are.

Krell

Smash Journeyman
Up B is Extreme Speed
>B is force palm
VB is Me First

Final smash- Focus Blast
And his Neutral B is Aura Sphere, of course!

Holy cusswords I can't even think of. Lucario is sick... that explains how immense I've seen his Aura Sphere get. Great find, OP.

AKC12

Smash Journeyman
Very interesting, some kill that should have never happen will. Characters with easy kill moves are probably the only counters.

War Raichu

Smash Apprentice
right from the beginning when he was first leaked, I knew I wanted to main Lucario. Then his moves are revealed to be a much-improved Mewtwo set

Then his Final Smash is a giant Kamehameha

And now this: the more damage he has, the more damage he does!

Wow. I don't know how much more awesome they could make him.

Zauron

Smash Journeyman
Just wondering, can Aura Sphere be charged in midair?
Yes, its very very similar to MewTwo's. Chargable in mid-air, cancelled with block (or left/right if on the ground to go directly to a dodge), can charge over several small increments, and while charging the charge effect actually hurts enemies that touch it. I don't think it flings him back as far when used in the air as it did to MewTwo though.

Ancient Mini-Stir

Smash Cadet
Ah excellent. I heard that Samus' Charge Shot couldn't be charged in midair anymore, and since they're similar B moves, I thought it might apply to Lucario as well. Glad to hear it doesn't. Thanks a lot for the info!

Zauron

Smash Journeyman
Ah excellent. I heard that Samus' Charge Shot couldn't be charged in midair anymore, and since they're similar B moves, I thought it might apply to Lucario as well. Glad to hear it doesn't. Thanks a lot for the info!
FYI, Samus has never been able to charge her shot in mid-air in any Smash game. DK could, as could MewTwo, but Samus would just fire immediately if she tried to charge her shot in mid-air in both Melee and 64 smash (and Brawl).

Dynamik

Smash Cadet
Hmm, maybe Pikachu can get Static from what we've found here? Same with the other Pokemon characters. Not sure about Jigglypuff's ability though.

Krell

Smash Journeyman
Hmm, maybe Pikachu can get Static from what we've found here? Same with the other Pokemon characters. Not sure about Jigglypuff's ability though.
Wow, randomly getting stunned when you attack Pikachu... that would be insane.
I checked, Jigglypuff has the same thing but with attraction. I don't see how that could be implemented into Brawl...
PT's guys get boosts for their respective types when they are low on HP, I could see that working similar to Lucario, such that their type based attacks would increase in power when they get over 100% damage.
These seem unlikely, though, as we have no evidence yet. Would be interesting, though.

Agosta44

Smash Ace
Zauron: What are his Alt costumes? Specifically, doe he have a black one?

And to the thing about effects: For Pikachu, if you down smash and use his headbutt (rapid A), his range goes UP. Could that have anything to do with it?

TheSMASHtyke

Smash Journeyman
Up B is Extreme Speed
>B is force palm
VB is Me First

Final smash- Focus Blast
The problem with what you've said is that there is no proof to those moves names (If you have proof, please do say so, I would love it:D)

I could argue with you that this B-UP is Agility, that his side-B is Dragon pulse, his down-B is counter and his final smash is hyper beam. until someone looks at lucario's smash trophie or confirms it from nintendo, we can only assume what the move names are.

Dynamik

Smash Cadet
The problem with what you've said is that there is no proof to those moves names (If you have proof, please do say so, I would love it:D)

I could argue with you that this B-UP is Agility, that his side-B is Dragon pulse, his down-B is counter and his final smash is hyper beam. until someone looks at lucario's smash trophie or confirms it from nintendo, we can only assume what the move names are.
Dragon Pulse is more of a beam than a sphere. I say that his Final Smash is Dragon Pulse.

Chepe

Smash Lord
Dude, that desperation mechanic they added to Lucario... wow. Sakurai really likes making new characters unique in their own way, looks like he didnt want Lucario to just be another Pokemon character...

Anyone like me who thinks that it is based on the move Reversal from Pokemon? Gets stronger the less health you have left, and I dont think its a coincidence that the move's power maxes at 200 in the games while Brawl uses 200% as a cap...

Cenedar

Smash Ace
Gets stronger...as he gets more damage?....

Good god that's incredible. I hadn't even noticed that.

Lucario is the God tier.

Eisenherz

Smash Journeyman
Dude, that desperation mechanic they added to Lucario... wow. Sakurai really likes making new characters unique in their own way, looks like he didnt want Lucario to just be another Pokemon character...

Anyone like me who thinks that it is based on the move Reversal from Pokemon? Gets stronger the less health you have left, and I dont think its a coincidence that the move's power maxes at 200 in the games while Brawl uses 200% as a cap...
That's because Lucario isn't "just another Pokemon". He stands out from the other 492 Pokemon.

Chepe

Smash Lord
That's because Lucario isn't "just another Pokemon". He stands out from the other 492 Pokemon.
I didnt mean it that way, its just that with Pokemon Trainer, I think Sakurai wanted the other Pokemon newcomer to have its own unique mechanic. Not be another Pikachu or Jigglypuff with just a basic moveset, that kind of thing...

ripman3

Smash Journeyman
awesome, thanks for the info!

glad to see that his sideB is actually useful, when i first saw it in use and other people's impressions of the damage, it looked kind of dumb, but now it looks much better.

Eisenherz

Smash Journeyman
I didnt mean it that way, its just that with Pokemon Trainer, I think Sakurai wanted the other Pokemon newcomer to have its own unique mechanic. Not be another Pikachu or Jigglypuff with just a basic moveset, that kind of thing...

Well to me, Lucario seems more like a fighter, a martial artist, rather than "just a Pokemon". Apparently Sakurai sees it this way too. :p

Top Bottom