• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social Lucario Social: Aura Dog Days of Summer

Braxton2011

Smash Ace
NNID
Braxtonian8
3DS FC
4167-4550-9020
Got bopped by 3 Ness and 1 MiiBrawler in Pools and extremely disappointed I myself. How do I git gud.

Would also like to know who I have to add on Skype so I can talk with more Lucarios. You could send me a PM if its against the rurus

Sinister Slush

❄ I miss my kind ❄
BRoomer
NNID
SinisterSlush
Some weird interactions with aerials where people are sucked into the stage.
Was previously found with zss link and I think Yoshi early on in the 3ds days.

Pitbuller26

Smash Lord
Yo guys. I play a Villager and Ness player called Villyness if many of you may know.
She plays to my weaknesses and it's really annoying. She knows me so well and I can't mix up my play style.

So, I'd like some advice guys.
How do I mix up my options properly in general so I don't become obvious in what I do?
Any advice on how to deal with the Ness MU?
Any advice on how to deal with the Villager MU?
If any of you could help me out, it would be much appreciated. :)
With Ness, we don't have an air game. Only use actual Aura Sphere when Ness is near 0% that way the healing won't be much of a factor.

With Villager, we actually can avoid all of their kill setups relatively easily and we'll end up reaching super Aura status in this matchup. You definitely want to learn when a Villager likes to nair. It's not safe on shield. Pocket isn't as useful as you think it would be in this matchup. The best time to use a full Aura Sphere is when Villager uses side B or is approaching with fair. When we reaching super Aura, Force Palm will stop any zoning Villager attempts and they can't pocket the flame either. (It will just pass through them with no damage. If they put the tree up and we have the lead, just stay out of Timber range and stand your ground. Basically, lame out Villager.

MythTrainerInfinity

Smash Champion
NNID
MTInfinity
3DS FC
2363-5671-9607
Here's a clip of a guy I fought on the 3DS pulling it off with Lucina, too: http://i.minus.com/iZVwKqcpyPOfe.gif

I don't think it's character-specific, but I don't think anyone's found a consistent way to utilize it.
Most of Lucina's air attacks autocancel on the first two frames (well before the hitbox comes out).

I am wondering if she did a UAir, landed, dashed to USmash. I wonder if we can do something like that with BAir, which autocancels on frames 1-15, right before the hitbox comes out. If we do a fake landing BAir we might be able to get a grab off from that mind game. Smash physics are a little weird, so I wonder if we can get a "wave dash" off of dashing out of an autocanceled air attack.

Croi

Smash Lord
I'm not doubting that it'd be a hugely powerful movement option. Waveland to Aura Sphere/Force Palm/fsmash/regrab the ledge, count me the hell in. The challenge is finding a way to pull it off consistently.

JohnnstR

Smash Apprentice
NNID
JohnnstR
Most of Lucina's air attacks autocancel on the first two frames (well before the hitbox comes out).

I am wondering if she did a UAir, landed, dashed to USmash. I wonder if we can do something like that with BAir, which autocancels on frames 1-15, right before the hitbox comes out. If we do a fake landing BAir we might be able to get a grab off from that mind game. Smash physics are a little weird, so I wonder if we can get a "wave dash" off of dashing out of an autocanceled air attack.

my clip was with fair :p

#HBC | Red Ryu

Red Fox Warrior
NNID
RedRyu_Smash
3DS FC
0344-9312-3352
Here's a clip of a guy I fought on the 3DS pulling it off with Lucina, too: http://i.minus.com/iZVwKqcpyPOfe.gif

I don't think it's character-specific, but I don't think anyone's found a consistent way to utilize it.
That is...really weird.

I should look into this on the Wii U, but I need to figure out how to replicate it.

Lavani

Indigo Destiny

Looking at it frame-by-frame it doesn't look like the Lucina does an attack before landing; he was probably just going for a uair and unexpectedly landed and got usmash instead. There's no dash or anything after landing.

I assume it happens because of rounded edges on stages combined with collisionboxes shifting in a way that allows you to land before you start descending from your jump if you both hit the trajectory just right and happen to be animating in a certain way. Attacking shouldn't be necessary in general, though it might be for some characters that don't twist around during a double jump. That all said I tried (not very hard) to replicate this awhile back and couldn't really get it to work so ¯\_(シ)_/¯

hi don't mind me just lurking and saw a topic someone asked me about the other day

AureusVulpes

Triforce of AURA
That is...really weird.

I should look into this on the Wii U, but I need to figure out how to replicate it.
Was playing today at my college with some friends and found out that if you do a jump climb into dair you can stop your up momentum (because of how Lucario's dair behaves) and be standing with minimal time before being able to react. (For reference I was able to DT a smash that was meant to kill me by doing this). Not sure if this is of much help but there it is.

Nysyr

Smash Journeyman
The landing funkiness is probably due to similar mechanics to:

Last edited:

AureusVulpes

Triforce of AURA
The landing funkiness is probably due to similar mechanics to:
Hm, that's odd. the video here describes a number of frames passing being necessary to trigger such behavior (obviously this is for a different version, so...), however it's not unreasonable in this chain of discussion to say that no more than 2 frames have passed in the Lucina and Lucario videos posted of such behavior.

I wonder if this behavior is partially due to a glitch, and not actual game mechanics. Certain glitches have existed longer in other modern games with live updates, simply because no one noticed them.

Gypsy-dawg

Smash Rookie
Hey, New to Smash-Boards and still somewhat of a novice in metagame for competitive play.
I've done plenty of practice and in FG and in local matches with a competitive friend but I'm never matched with other Lucario players that I can adapt techniques from. I've done lurking on the boards for some time now and the guides and general observations in the forums have been really useful in match-ups against my friend, but now I want to move up and learn from more skilled players who use the same mains that I do.

(Also, if anyone has advice on a Lucas matchup using Lucario, that would be great.)

#HBC | Red Ryu

Red Fox Warrior
NNID
RedRyu_Smash
3DS FC
0344-9312-3352
Hey, New to Smash-Boards and still somewhat of a novice in metagame for competitive play.
I've done plenty of practice and in FG and in local matches with a competitive friend but I'm never matched with other Lucario players that I can adapt techniques from. I've done lurking on the boards for some time now and the guides and general observations in the forums have been really useful in match-ups against my friend, but now I want to move up and learn from more skilled players who use the same mains that I do.

(Also, if anyone has advice on a Lucas matchup using Lucario, that would be great.)
Welcome!

Feel free to hang around, we are very welcoming.

Gypsy-dawg

Smash Rookie
Thankfully he hasn't pulled off the zero-to death combo yet, this Lucas player isn't very grabby.
With the exception of this back throw at high percentages and a basic forward throw combo.
No problem here.

His nair is annoying but mostly avoidable, He often uses is f-air and b-air in neutral and really likes his jab, combos.
Is there any openings here and a good way to punish this?

His uptilt, sidesteps and basic jab combos are a problem for me in neutral game, as they follow up into other combos that rack up damage.
Any advice on how to approach this?

He's really aggressive when it comes to edge-game and great at spiking. If timed correctly I can hit him with my recovery or B-air from a wall cling but lately he's gotten the hang of how I recover.
Advice on recovery edgegame?

Gypsy-dawg

Smash Rookie
Ok, first up. I'd kinda like to play you to see how you play and see if there is anything you can maybe improve on e.g recovery
Sure, I'm up for some critique.
Drop a friendcode and let me know when you're ready.

As for the frame data, it's been an incredible reference for my Villager against him and hard-to-deal-with Sheik players on FG.
Frame data is useful for Lucario too, but I keep forgetting to factor in Rage + Arua how they stack and how it effects certain moves. I'm feeling a steep learning curve with him.

JohnnstR

Smash Apprentice
NNID
JohnnstR
Was playing today at my college with some friends and found out that if you do a jump climb into dair you can stop your up momentum (because of how Lucario's dair behaves) and be standing with minimal time before being able to react. (For reference I was able to DT a smash that was meant to kill me by doing this). Not sure if this is of much help but there it is.
yea that's already a thing we do all the time

Pitbuller26

Smash Lord
Lucas actually poses little threat to Lucario due to not having any autocancel aerials. Lucas's grab is slow and ours is fast. As long as you don't commit to very laggy moves, Lucas will have a hard time grabbing Lucario which cuts Lucas's potential in the matchup greatly.

If we have the lead and take the first stock, it's essentially a wrap for Lucas. He has no mixups because none of his aerials autocancel on top of having a slow grab. His jab is the least of our worries.

Gypsy-dawg

Smash Rookie
"As long as you don't commit to very laggy moves, Lucas will have a hard time grabbing Lucario which cuts Lucas's potential in the matchup greatly."
I think this is what I was doing wrong, I gave him too many openings while trying to land hits on him.
Naturally he goes in for for his quicker moves during neutral, waits for me to make a move he can grab/jab me and combos from there. So this was a fault on my part.

Last edited:

Pitbuller26

Smash Lord
I think this is what I was doing wrong, I gave him too many openings while trying to land hits on him.
Naturally he goes in for for his quicker moves during neutral, waits for me to make a move he can grab/jab me and combos from there. So this was a fault on my part.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gz_oY9kRYeQ

Here's me playing against Vicegrip who used Lucas for one game after that has dropped him from competitive play. He only managed to get one grab on me and you'll see just how hard it is for Lucas to actually get me guess wrong.

Gypsy-dawg

Smash Rookie

Here's me playing against Vicegrip who used Lucas for one game after that has dropped him from competitive play. He only managed to get one grab on me and you'll see just how hard it is for Lucas to actually get me guess wrong.
The Fsmash punish at 3:07 sealed the deal for the entire match, I read about how people have had better results using the Fsmash for rolls instead of the dsmash too. I did that and things turned around real quick for me, he loves his rolls. As soon as I take a stock and deal enough damage on the next stock he starts to get desperate and predictable.

Now I only have issues with his edgegame. Most of the time I can time his Dsmash so i'm not hit by it, but then he quickly lands a Bair or dair depending on how I approach. I don't like risking a punish by landing extremespeed directly and he now always expects a ledgecling to b-air.

I also can't help but notice at 4:34 in the video you B-reversed while throwing an aura sphere?
I didn't know that could be done while throwing, I thought the olny use for a B-reverse was to trap your opponent in aura and Jumpcancel an up-smash. That's pretty cool.

MythTrainerInfinity

Smash Champion
NNID
MTInfinity
3DS FC
2363-5671-9607

Really liked that BAir set finisher on Ludwig I wonder if we can get away with stuff like that on more characters who do stuff like that (Sonic). No offense to that dude, but that commentator did not seem very knowledgeable about Lucario at all... ASC to JCU is like the biggest most basic bnb Lucario has.

Browny

Smash Hater
Really liked that BAir set finisher on Ludwig I wonder if we can get away with stuff like that on more characters who do stuff like that (Sonic). No offense to that dude, but that commentator did not seem very knowledgeable about Lucario at all... ASC to JCU is like the biggest most basic bnb Lucario has.
Offend!!!

If people are bad, let them know.

John12346

Smash Master
NNID
JohnNumbers
Sorry to intrude, but can anyone identify the origin of this webcomic here? Just a tad curious.

Also @ anyone here who mained Lucario in Brawl and still remembers me, heyo~

Last edited:

BugCatcherWill

Smash Ace
NNID
BugCatcherWill
3DS FC
4098-4993-0977
Not much, I've just been getting fit instead of beholding the power of aura, is all. Regrettably, Lucario didn't exactly click with me as a character this time around.
I guess you'd rather play a character that's more...
*takes off sunglasses*
...by the Numbers

Top Bottom