• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Lucario Stage Discussion: Reviewing information

Jaigoda

Smash Apprentice
IMO, it's still good to know what stages are best for Lucario, simply because some characters do well just about everywhere (MK lol). And what if you fight someone who plays Randoms, hmm?

What Player 1 said about Diddy.

phi1ny3

Not the Mama
Actually, besides Brinstar and maybe Kanto (I mean, I wouldn't straight up avoid Kanto, there are better places to ban). I agree with the above post.
Technically, you could argue that PS1 is Johto (since it also has the G/S theme). I would say Saffron City from smash 64 is safely Kanto.
Anyways, I've been experimenting with Diddy lately (don't know if I'll use him seriously though).
How does Delphino do? I really love this CP, it has some really interesting things.

jog

Smash Journeyman
Technically, you could argue that PS1 is Johto (since it also has the G/S theme). I would say Saffron City from smash 64 is safely Kanto.
Anyways, I've been experimenting with Diddy lately (don't know if I'll use him seriously though).
How does Delphino do? I really love this CP, it has some really interesting things.
i think delphino is a good diddy stage but not his best. and it says in melee "kanto pokemon stadium" :)

phi1ny3

Not the Mama
^Good point.
Also, I kind of meant for lucario, but it sounds like the stage does interfere with banana control (although with how everyone plays delphino, bananas are more effective since no one likes to stand on the platforms much).

Gea

Smash Master
Go play Melee. The stage is clearly labeled as "Kanto" on the stage selection screen. It is called Kanto.

jog

Smash Journeyman
we need some more diddy contribution... if someone would just list some stages real quick and why then we can move on.

Kitamerby

Smash Hero
Do not take him to Rainbow Cruise unless you're 100% sure you will not get uthrown. Even then, though, his powerful kill moves are risky to fight against. Kirby is a glass cannon, but not to the far extent tht GnW is (Although he's pretty darn close). I'd take him to big stages without jump-through main platforms (So not Halberd or Delphino) where we can more easily control his movement and properly space ourselves. High platforms might help to keep our spacing, but also give him a powerful KO option out of his grab, so I would be wary of picking a stage like Battlefield.

Personally, I'd probably take a Kirby to Pictochat (I'm not sure, but I think FPG outrages his glitchy "earthquake" glitch, and the stage is pretty large, so you can rest a bit easier about dying early), maybe Pirate Ship (Personal preference, although the water does prevent gimps, the stage's boundaries are that of a medium stage, which is good, and another good thing may be that since the ship itself is relatively small compared to the stage size, it means we may be able to live even longer than a stage with boundaries closer to the edge, like Japes, maybe. I'm not sure about th is one.). I'm torn between FD and Battlefield, since I'm not sure whether platforms help or hurt this matchup yet. I need more kirby experience. :<

Also, Frigate and Japes are probably slightly less effective this matchup. For one, Kirby has no problem recovering without ledges, as his recovery is pretty gigantic and safe with all his extra jumps and the vertical-flying Final Cutter. And for Japes, while we'll be generally safe from his usmash, he's virtually immune to the water due to his gigantic recovery, and if he hits you from the side, you're going down hard.

Stay the **** away from Corneria, Rainbow Cruise, and maybe even Green Greens as usual if they're allowed in your tournament. There's a huge chance that you will lose if you are taken to one of these stages. Kirby is just too powerful and will kill you retardedly early with that 14 frame fsmash and 14 frame usmash.

OH! Also, last thing, Kirby has a few... glitches, and some that work ONLY on you(Lucario). First of all, on Pictochat, and maybe during some situational spots on one or two other stages or so, but iirc can't be as easily/universally accessed as the Pictochat one. Basically, on the right side, he can use Stone and he will for some odd reason constantly fall and land on the right slope, giving out a constant hitbox, and the aerial one most of the time to boot!(which is VERY powerful, and much more powerful than the ground one). However, iirc, ForcePalm Grab may be able to outrange it, or you could just wait it out (but he may stall you using it if you do wait it out each time), and then Fsmash the crap out of him as he finishes... Nothing to really worry about if you're prepared, anyways. However, he also has a scary glitch that works only on Lucario, Zero Suit Samus, and Sheik, but for some odd reason Lucario gets hurt the most by it. Basically, if he Uthrows you, facing in towards the stage, at the very edge of Pokemon Stadium, Lylat as it's tilting up, or Frigate Orpheon's left side, (And that's just the legal stages! It also works on Spear Pillar, Skyworld, various parts of New Pork City (some which cause you to die instantly!), and on the Falcon Flyer in Big Blue, although this one's probably useless unless you somehow land on the road) you will get immediately stagespiked and are pretty much dead after he drops down to finish you off with a dair or something. We can only barely survive this at 0% if he leaves us alone entirely. Just don't get grabbed facing inwards when he rolls all the way to the edge of Lylat, Pokemon Stadium, or Frigate's left side. Not hard to avoid, but be careful, because he probably will mindgame you into it if you forget, so always keep it in mind when on those stages and he does something... suspicious... like run away to the edge.

Timbers

check me out
And for Japes, while we'll be generally safe from his usmash, he's virtually immune to the water due to his gigantic recovery, and if he hits you from the side, you're going down hard.
His "gigantic recovery" is pretty irrelevant on Japes. Anyone who doesn't get sent to blastzone by water will be able to recover, even with mediocre recoveries. Off the top of my head, ICs and Marth (regarding viable characters) are the only ones that will be hindered due to it.

Kitamerby

Smash Hero
His "gigantic recovery" is pretty irrelevant on Japes. Anyone who doesn't get sent to blastzone by water will be able to recover, even with mediocre recoveries. Off the top of my head, ICs and Marth (regarding viable characters) are the only ones that will be hindered due to it.
I meant it in that his multiple jumps will let him recover far easier than a character with only one double jump, as he can stay out of the water for longer, but I guess you have a point.

jog

Smash Journeyman
If half his pikmin are blue I guess not. That's not something he can really count on. >>
actually its better if he doesn't have any pikmin, one blue pikmin would screw it up because he gets a bunch of ledge snap without pikmin, probably more than lucario has normally. i main olimar as well and i've tested it on japes and you can jump out and up b to the last edge before the bast zone every time.

hichez50

Smash Lord
NNID
Player-00
3DS FC
2122-6108-1245
Well I find that stages like FD and smashville give DK players the most options. Yoshi island is once again king for CP if you didn't get the stage first.

As for CP stages I would have to chosse PS1 or frigate.

I would maybe ban jungle japes. not 100% sure on my decision for ban.

Kitamerby

Smash Hero
Well I find that stages like FD and smashville give DK players the most options. Yoshi island is once again king for CP if you didn't get the stage first.

Hold up to escape Cargo. Cargo's not a problem anymore. :<

jog

Smash Journeyman

I would watch for the up+b invincibility trick DK has on yoshi's and pictochat with the sloped edges. also DKs <3 japes, its their home court since and they almost never get gimped so i would probably ban japes myself. a little tip about the clap trap that people may not know, you can live most clap traps up to about 60% if you have your DI down. once hit by a clap trap DI down and to the right, ALWAYS!

Hold up to escape Cargo. Cargo's not a problem anymore. :<
this

EDIT:

more stuff on the front page about diddy and about the thread in general. please read the edit at the top of the page!

jog

Smash Journeyman
i would like to keep this thread going but if not i'd like people to vote and just tell me to keep this going or let it die. i think this thread will be helpful but i could be being biased since its my thread :)

phi1ny3

Not the Mama
lol this is why lucario boards don't get too angry at bumping since they know that these boards are pretty dead, so it's totally reasonable for 3 weeks to go by without anyone posting lol.
Keep it going, this is one of the more useful threads going around.

Darknid

Smash Journeyman
Neutrals:

Choose FD or SV, possibly BF if you're comfy there but keep in mind that a character rarely has an advantage over DK on BF. Don't go Yoshi's, he has a particularly nasty trick that will mess you up and you also kinda want to space him and that can mess that up.

Don't go Lylat either, DK doesn't mind it, his recovery is one of the least affected by Lylat's weird edge and he can also do the same trick he does on yoshi's(invincible up B) on Lylat.

As for CPs..Pick your poison, man. He could go for Luigi's Mansion where legends like DK never die, but guys like Lucario do.

He could go Japes, where again..He just won't die until 200 if your power is low or 150+ maybe if your power is high, but it won't be because he still kills you at 80. Enjoy!

He could also go Brinstar where you're liable to die at 30%.

There's also a few other unknown stages like Delfino. DK has some stupid tricks there. Wall infinites(he can grab you and carry you to the wall, so it's harder to avoid), cargo throwing you into the kill walls, spiking you through water.

There's also Distant Planet which not many DKs choose but it is a really good DK stage.

Basically, know your opponent. Ban their CP. It's usually japes or luigi's. I'd ban japes if I were you, because Lucario likes luigi's mansion.

Drizzt6195

Smash Apprentice
Yeah ban JJ, if I were you, I might go RC for CP Dk's UpB is really awful even thought Lucario doesn't like RC
Or frigate, I never feel comfortable with my Dk there.

Frigate if he isn't much better than you
RC for the bet =D

Aurasmash14

Smash Lord
I just like watching DK fall to his doom when the stage flips. :))

Edit nice to see that this thread has come back to life. Dont let it die again..... it's too good a thread to rot.

jog

Smash Journeyman
I just like watching DK fall to his doom when the stage flips. :))

Edit nice to see that this thread has come back to life. Dont let it die again..... it's too good a thread to rot.

i won't let it die.

and i agree with you and phil, frigate is a good lucario stage and a great one against DK. two of my friends main DK and lucario and the DK usually goes to japes and the lucario to frigate. so japes would be my ban against DK and frigate my CP.

D. Disciple

Smash Master
Snake, Don't go to Jungle Japes, Lylat, Brinstar, Green Greens, Yoshi's Island (unless you want the match to drag out the entire time) or any other place where it can be hard to see the mines, or he can blend into the background.

Stages you can probably go and do well against him on.

FD, Smashville, Delfino, Frigate & Luigi's Mansion is a toss up, Pictochat (You learn to be very gay on this stage against Snake).

Ambient_Horizon

Smash Ace
Snake, Don't go to Jungle Japes, Lylat, Brinstar, Green Greens, Yoshi's Island (unless you want the match to drag out the entire time) or any other place where it can be hard to see the mines, or he can blend into the background.

Stages you can probably go and do well against him on.

FD, Smashville, Delfino, Frigate & Luigi's Mansion is a toss up, Pictochat (You learn to be very gay on this stage against Snake).

FD is kind of neutral in general. Its not a great stage for us in most cases but its not bad either. If you're Aura Sphere happy this may work for you but any good Snake can get around that.

Smashville is probably worse for you as a Lucario player than FD. Why? Moving platform. Just gives us more ammo against you. Having mobile C4 and Landmines is very helpful.

Frigate is a stage Snake is good at. This is one my favorite CPs because of the moving platforms and the non moving ones. Snake can avoid Aura Sphere camping pretty easily here and have plenty of chances for C4. Not too mention on certain parts of the stage the c4 will blend in anyway. Its hard to gimp Snake on a stage like this too which is one of the main reasons its good as a Snake stage. I'd avoid this if I were you.

Delfino is good stage to CP against Snake. If you can keep Snake in the air and on the defensive when the stage s moving then you can get some nice, easy hits on him. On certain parts you do have to worry about being camped but this stage favors aerial based combat and Snake sucks when you get him in the air against anyone with decent, quick, aerials.

Luigi's Mansion is a crap stage. Lucario nor Snake can really camp that well here with the pillars. I guess Snake's range on his tilts and melee hits can give him a slight advantage but meh...I dont really know about this stage period.

Avoid: Battlefield, Frigate, Japes, Lylat, Norfair, Brinstar mainly against Snake.

phi1ny3

Not the Mama
I agree with Delphino, even though there are some smaller kill zones, it has bad platform formation for snake to effectively use his explosives more, plus the bright colors = easy to spot explosives. Plus AS works pretty well here (as far as I've seen).

Top Bottom