• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Lucario: Strengths in Singles and Doubles

Will he be better in Singles or Doubles?

• Total voters

Jsteel3

Smash Cadet
NNID
Jsteel3
3DS FC
1263-6252-1703
Ok this thread is to talk about what our opinions on how good Lucario will be in singles or doubles
if you have ideas how Lucario could improve in Singles or Doubles I would put that into my Lucario wish list thread.

Masonomace

Yeah Shulk, get stuck in!
NNID
Masonomace
Not to say IMO with any lack of self-confidence, but I believe :4lucario: will definitely be a Singles & Doubles mid-high tier if not high tier character. If Anubis from Brawl with the aspect of your teammate stock-tanking buffs your AuraBoost% mechanic along with the buffs we've seen from the direct, he/she will truly be a fearsome character more in Doubles but still a good Singles contender!

Jsteel3

Smash Cadet
NNID
Jsteel3
3DS FC
1263-6252-1703
I believe that Lucario was great at doubles and adverage in singles in Brawl and is getting buffs to not only significantly buff him in Singles but those Aura buffs will allow him to be amazing in Doubles.

Rickster

Smash Master
Switch FC
2713-1285-8029
I think he'll be good, if not great, in both singles and doubles. The aura buffs will certainly help, as will the Anubis strategy in doubles (if it still works like Brawl). So, basically, like Brawl, but with a few buffs to aura and stuff.

Jsteel3

Smash Cadet
NNID
Jsteel3
3DS FC
1263-6252-1703
I think he'll be good, if not great, in both singles and doubles. The aura buffs will certainly help, as will the Anubis strategy in doubles (if it still works like Brawl). So, basically, like Brawl, but with a few buffs to aura and stuff.
Might I ask who is the lucario player in your tag?

Rickster

Smash Master
Switch FC
2713-1285-8029
Might I ask who is the lucario player in your tag?
Looks like someone beat me to answering your question, haha!
The one and only Trela Flash himself. That clip from the match btw was MAD HYPE
It's my favorite Lucario match of all time! Definitely was HYPED to the max! Best comeback ever.

Last edited:

Masonomace

NNID
Masonomace
After not eating much to get me really thinking... Lucario might as well be the next MetaKnight in Sm4sh Doubles. We're not exactly sure how much stronger the aura-based attacks they've gotten but holy hotness of AuraBoost% I predict that the aura cap won't even matter if I'm imagining past matches I've been in and watched others in Doubles! Lucario Anubis and maybe the HealAnubis will be even more busted if healing in Sm4sh improved as well. Oh man....If I don't main this character for singles I most certainly will main him for Doubles!!

Jellyfish4102

Smash Journeyman
NNID
jellyfish
Man the Lucario and Ness/Lucas team up is going to be unstoppable. If the mechanics work as they did in Brawl with Lucario buffed, then we'll have the most overpowered team ever.

Masonomace

NNID
Masonomace
@ Jellyfish4102 Jellyfish4102 I forgot about it, but in a past PotD it showed Lucario's comparison of his Aura Sphere & what changed about it. I was highly impressed with it.
I'll show it for the sake of seeing the gloriousness.:4lucario:
«A size comparison of Lucario's standard special attack, Aura Sphere, in its weakest and strongest states. The attack is faster and more powerful when the Aura Sphere is bigger.»
This pleases me. More powerful FCAS = more health for PSI magnet users :ness2: & :lucas:. Whenever they get confirmed to confirm this amazing combo!

Last edited:

Fire Tactician

Smash Lord
3DS FC
4596-9948-4995
Someone recently brought up the idea of using Robin's Nosferatu on Lucario to simultaneously restore Robin's HP and increase Lucario's aura. It seems risky but tempting... how do you all feel about that?

Delzethin

Character Concept Creator
NNID
Delzethin
Dammit, I was just about to post the same thing. >_>

There's definitely some potential there. If Robin is getting high on damage and Lucario is stuck in those middle percents where his fast moves have too much knockback to combo easily but his strong moves aren't quite powerhouses yet, Robin could use Nosferatu to heal a little while giving Luc a damage boost that could make the difference in getting a kill.

Fire Tactician

Smash Lord
3DS FC
4596-9948-4995
That could be an especially potent combo among my buddies- two of us both main Lucario and three of us are interested in maining Robin.

Masonomace

NNID
Masonomace
As a reversed tactic, If Lucario was perhaps oddly the stock-tanker, it'd work in Lucario's favor & Robin's favor doing a trade-off worth noting.
Edit: I forgot to say it in my past post, but with those added visual effects, it looks even bigger than it could get in Brawl. AuraBoost% being 2 stocks & 167% behind looks about that size, but I feel it's sphere-box is larger.

I also like that the changes of it's speed when it's at its highest states. Brawl FCAS's speed did not increase by much speed, but by how they talk about it in that picture it sounds like it's much faster.

Last edited:

#HBC | Red Ryu

Red Fox Warrior
NNID
RedRyu_Smash
3DS FC
0344-9312-3352
If he aura still works like it did in doubles in Brawl, he's still gonna be better in doubles than in singles for the healing/anubis strats I've always been bad at.

He's still gonna be solid in singles to some degree provided he wasn't nerfed in other aspects too hard for the buffs to his aura.

HiFlo

Smash Cadet
NNID
Hi.Flo
3DS FC
1865-1068-2662
Quicker smash attacks will help out in singles, and if his roll stays relatively quick on top of his other buffs he'll be quite a force.

For doubles I think he can pair up with a lot of characters actually, some earlier posts had good ideas

RT

Smash Hero
NNID
Rockettrainer
3DS FC
4038-6677-8162
Lucario will always be good in doubles, because Aura will usually help him, unless his team is absolutely destroying the other team. And if his partner's stocks affect his Aura (and assuming this aspect hasn't changed for Brawl), then a stock-tanking partner is all he needs to be a huge threat.

That said, some characters also have some innate synergy with him. Villager will be able to pocket his AS (throw two AS at the same time at someone maybe?), Ness can heal from him, Robin can help him build damage for Aura while healing himself a little, GW can fill buckets with ease. More team combos will exist, but it's just something to start brainstorming.

As far as singles, he should be about as good, if not better than he was in Brawl from what I saw. A lot of his moves have received buffs/revamps that seem to only benefit him for the most part. Hell, Force Palm flame is a reliable kill move (wonder how dumb the grab move will be, if it exists...). And he can actually recover properly without being pathetically edgehogged. The only real nerf I saw are that there aren't nearly as many lingering hitboxes (especially fsmash), but it's a small tradeoff.

Last edited:

ViralN9

Smash Cadet
I'm tempted to hit the #New Metaknight, but I won't because I haven't seen any gameplay of him.

Djent

Smash Champion
I'm predicting that Lucario will be the best doubles character in Smash 4.

He's already like 5th best in Brawl. In America, Lucario was a national-level threat right up until all the best Lucarios quit the game. Late in Brawl's life, Taiheita and Gomamugitya showed just how broken he could be in Japanese doubles (where MK remained legal, mind you):

Look at that. A deliberate suicide to gain an early aura buff that they recoup in damage + healing...to win with 3 stocks. And now his aura effect is even better. Whoever mentioned Lucario + Ness is absolutely right, but in reality he'll go well with any defensive character. Expect top 8s to be filled with Lucarios.

Jellyfish4102

Smash Journeyman
NNID
jellyfish
I'm predicting that Lucario will be the best doubles character in Smash 4.

He's already like 5th best in Brawl. In America, Lucario was a national-level threat right up until all the best Lucarios quit the game. Late in Brawl's life, Taiheita and Gomamugitya showed just how broken he could be in Japanese doubles (where MK remained legal, mind you):

Look at that. A deliberate suicide to gain an early aura buff that they recoup in damage + healing...to win with 3 stocks. And now his aura effect is even better. Whoever mentioned Lucario + Ness is absolutely right, but in reality he'll go well with any defensive character. Expect top 8s to be filled with Lucarios.
Man that video reminded me of how much I'm going to miss Lucas :(

Anyway based on footage I've seen, I have to agree that Lucario is going to be one of the best if not the best in doubles.

CrowGoesCaw

Smash Journeyman
He'll be one of the best I'm sure, but Villager will be contender for best as well. His pocket is crazy good in doubles, and a double villager giving each other either a pocket tree or bowling ball is scary. A pocketed bowling ball kills a lot of characters at 0% which is insane.

Though a Lucario Villager Double would be scary, Anubis plus pocketed Aura Spheres getting double damage...

Last edited:

CrowGoesCaw

Smash Journeyman
I don't believe stocks affect him now, but he scales harder with damage, so I suspect he'll still have game. I also like the idea of pocketed Aura Spheres. That double knockback on a long range projectile sounds mean.

Last edited:

SimonBarSinister

Smash Lord
NNID
SimonBarSinister
3DS FC
2406-5996-7869
I believe he'll be very lethal in both types, assuming the player is good enough to keep him alive. Has it been confirmed whether or not stocks affect his aura?

Last edited:

hichez50

Smash Lord
NNID
Player-00
3DS FC
2122-6108-1245
He won't be as good in doubles now. I think he will still be super good though when paired with Shulk or anyone that can stock tank really well.

Masonomace

NNID
Masonomace
Teams:
:4lucario: & :4ness: = PSI Magnet healing Ness = He's stock tanking
:4lucario: & :4villager:/:4villagerf: = Pocket = Double zoning camps with Timber, Lloid Rocket, FCAS, pockets FCAS while camping.
:4lucario: & :4zelda: = Phantom Slash coverage = Dins Fire targeting Lucario on purpose to proc DT or RDT to recover back in case Lucario's % is low & cannot reach with ES > wallcling. RDT is amazing in Sm4sh btw. I suggest everyone use it.
:4lucario: &:4shulk:= Heavy hitters with risks/rewards stacking = Lucario FP grab or Grab with pummels to Shulk Back Slash with Smash Art on. Shield Art Shulk stock tanking with the other Arts to help out around the entire battlefield.
:4lucario:&:4dedede: = Inhale gimmick, Lucario FSmashes Dedede's stomach. This needs testing again.:awesome:
:4lucario:&:4robinm: = Nosferatu trade-off healing Robin, dealing Lucario powering up his AB% = Robin stock tanks

Stay tuned~

Top Bottom