• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Lucario's Anti-Jab Cancel/Tick Set-up Metagame.

culexus・wau

Purchased premium only to change name ><
So like, its no secret that lucario is really ****ing good at getting out of jab games.
with a combination of:

• SDI (really helps)
  • Dair*
  • Force Palm*
  • Shield
  • Roll
  • Sidestep
  • Jump
  • Footstool
  • -Airdodge

*best/crucial options

We have plenty of ways to get out jab games.

I will 1st list how each jab escape option works, and then I will give specifics on characters whose jab games I've been able to work around with a combination of all of these options.

Dair

coming out on f4 and with a huge hitbox underneath lucario, this move is gdlk for interruption if we get jabbed. it CAN be baited [and punished usually] because its our most stereotypical jab interrupt option, but generally I use it with a combination of SDI vs people who hold A, or jab to sidestep [why on earth would someone do jab to sidestep vs lucario? read on]. You could or could not air walk it, imo out of jabs I think it should be discouraged.

Force Palm

A recently popularized mix-up, the 1-frame force palm grab [really just starting it in the air before the grab frames come out, not really 1 frame but meh its the popular term.] Works deceptively well vs any sort of jab cancel. The reason this works is because... you really can't buffer jab cancels. The closest they have is holding down, reacting to the crouch [ or knowing the timing], and doing what they want to do. We however can buffer this SideB out of the hitstun, and since we're so close to the ground we'll go straight into grab, no landing lag suffered either since we're in a special animation [a jab sends us in the air very slightly, most frame advantages are from us being in hitstun and then landing on the floor and suffering landing lag]. Between this and dair.. we'd **** a lot of jab games I think, because dair covers them holding A, and this covers nearly everything else [most importantly, the most popular option to beat dair, shield, and one of the more popular options, grab] Extremely Effective Vs Falco, I have not had the chance to use it much vs anyone else however. still needs testing, but I am confident that with this, we have the potential to **** jab games if we read right imo.

Shield

For the things SDI + Dair does not cover, Shield + Normal DI can beat [hold down + shield vs snake's jab combo for example]. Rounds out lucario's important jab escape options. if you ever get a blockconfirm you can always do whatever OOS option you want afterwards.

You can get by with just the above 3 options, because they cover nearly everything, but we need mix-ups of course!

Roll
Our beloved roll, an escape for space or a cross-up escape, very good mix-up because its not common that we would do this out of a jab [most people dair lol]

Midair Jump/Footstool
Very good for making space, footstool gives you plenty of space without wasting your midair jump but is hard to space, if you mess up you have midair jump which can be good sometimes in combination with airdodge.. but if you get baited good luck landing.

Sidestep
The most common way to avoid jab -> grab, usually what people doing jab -> grab are looking out for, so they can bait and hit you hard.

Double Team
For those gimmicky jab -> stutterstep back smash/charge smash mix-ups.
f6 counterframe, slower then dair but gets ***** by grab [since lucario is intangible, if they try to grab him it whiffs and they get a free punish] and you can be heavily punished if you get baited [you have plenty of time after you initiate counter to buffer DI however]. IF YOU GET THE DOUBLE TEAM OFF THOUGH, you're guaranteed another chance to get out of pressure, and if your opponent is dumb you might hit them :D

Tomorrow I shall edit the character specifics in, tired + my wrist hurts lol

culexus・wau

Purchased premium only to change name ><
I need someone to test force palm vs jab cancels with me on wifi or something [its all buffered anyway, so wifi shouldn't make a difference at all, I'll double check offline too if I get someone willing though]

will be updating tommorrow

hichez50

Smash Lord
NNID
Player-00
3DS FC
2122-6108-1245
force plam our jabs don't work on all chars obviously. I need to see some video of this stuff in action. I never realized that dair could be used to punish jabs. I just DI and use one of the other options minus double team.

hichez50

Smash Lord
NNID
Player-00
3DS FC
2122-6108-1245
Diddys don't jab that often. When they do jab the jab to grab. I really have to try this on snake though. :)

phi1ny3

Not the Mama
force plam our jabs don't work on all chars obviously. I need to see some video of this stuff in action. I never realized that dair could be used to punish jabs. I just DI and use one of the other options minus double team.
Look at Trela v. 0zz/Gn3s(antinamesearch), you'll see him dair/FP Falco jabs sometimes.

Top Bottom