• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Lucario's Worst Opponent Or Opponents

phi1ny3

Not the Mama
How do you beat MK? I've never had much trouble against Marth (your F-smash outranges his, he has no projectile, his recovery is as easy to gimp as Link's) as long as you look out for his forward B, you'll be fine. MK, however, is a beast. All his attacks are ridiculously fast, and his recovery is insane. He's got a very good dash grab and dash attack, and plenty of aerial approaches. His B moves all make great evasion techniques as well.
You know, the main reason why I have found MK more easy is that many of my friends play as MK. So first, remember that spacing is important, and for recovering, hog to fair, dair, bair, depending on where he is on the edge. nair is good for a timeout on dogfights, and AS is a good stopper on MK. DT and many of the smashes are actually decent against MK, just remember that u want teh bat away from ur face.

TheGlitchMaster

Smash Lord
I use ROB and Olimar, and my friend Lucarios. I seem to beat him alot, but he's good when i'm not them.
Edit: mah friend gets pummeled by ROB and Olimar.

Browny

Smash Hater
um, what?

anyway something i notice often in vids against MK, so many people get hit by his glide attack. its extremely predictable (the only attack MK can do out of it) so it should be double teamed at every opportunity

Nodrak

Smash Ace
um, what?

anyway something i notice often in vids against MK, so many people get hit by his glide attack. its extremely predictable (the only attack MK can do out of it) so it should be double teamed at every opportunity
Same with Pit. Charizard is a different story... The odd time I do get hit by it is because I fell asleep waiting for him to get to me.

Sqwl

Smash Rookie
I don't know why everyone has such a problem with Snake. I occasionally play a 3 Stock Final Destination match with no items against a Level 9 Snake, and dominate most of the time. :bee:

Now, TL and ROB on the other hand...:embarrass

tedward2000

Smash Champion
Personally, Snake is a breeze. Chaingrab will raise hell on Snake.
meta knight, ice climbers and squirtle on the other hand,
are the crappy bread to my Pb&j.
Ice climbers especially, I loathe the ice climbers. Stupid nana...

Speed and little people. Those are Lucario's worst Opponents.
-t2

PhoenixAlpha

Smash Journeyman
Level 9 Snake is incredibly different from Good Human Snake.
Amen. I ran into a Snake user at a Brawl Tournament this weekend. I was at A-kon :-D.
Mines, grenades and C4 littered the arena (FD). His jab hits are absolutely unholy. I really regret never fighting a good Snake prior; it cost me dearly.

In other words: Anyone who says Snake is easy -> Share the wealth, I'm dying out here!!

P.S. It was a best of 3 and I used Lucas first. I switched to Lucario after losing.

Browny

Smash Hater
just dont get caught in the immediate area above him. just like wolf, avoid the fsmash zone and it should be fine. this applied to everything really. im pretty sure most other plays know directly below lucario in the air is the no-go zone, except of course for MK lol.

Nodrak

Smash Ace
It's a pain, there's really no way to avoid it when you see it (comes out too fast). Best thing you can do is watch their playstyle and try to predict when they do it, then airdodge away. It's easier to do this when they spam it.

Xaile

Smash Cadet
I don't get to play Brawl against a wide variety of opponents, but the one that I have hardest time against is when my brother plays R.O.B.

I feel outprojectiled (Baby Aura Spheres are easy to perfect shield compared to R.O.B. spamming his laser, and the Gyro is obnoxious). My F-Tilt is outranged by his F-Tilt and D-Tilt. His D-Smash beats Lucario's U-Tilt in speed, power, and horizontal range. His aerial range is comparable to Lucario's, except he has that beastly powerful N-Air (which I get punished with whenever I use Lucario's D-Air). Oh yeah, and he has crazy grab range. :ohwell:

I just have a terrible time against R.O.B. Any suggestions?

Nodrak

Smash Ace
Dont run, crawl. ROB's laser can't hit you when you crouch, so crawl to close the distance then jump up and attack. If you can predict the gyro or a laser coming, double team/reverse double team the heck out of it, it's one of your best options. I've never had a problem with the gyro, I grab it and run. Crouch when I see him about to shoot a laser and spam aura spheres back.

PSYCHE

Smash Apprentice
I wouldnt rely on crawling. The ROB can always shoot the beams at downwards angles and hit you.

Xaile

Smash Cadet
I wouldnt rely on crawling. The ROB can always shoot the beams at downwards angles and hit you.
It's true, my brother bounces the beams off the ground at me. And in an Aura-Sphere vs. Robo Beam Projectile War, the fast-moving Beams are much more difficult to perfect shield than the slow-moving Aura-Sphere, which usually results in me racking up more percent than R.O.B.

Popertop

Smash Champion
I got beat by a good Meta and a good Rob at this last tourney I went to.
Mainly what gave me problems was spot dodge dsmash, but you can DI out and punish with Dair.
Crouching is good, but be ready to spot dodge his lazer. See if you can feel his projectile rythym and predict his gyro/lazer, this makes the match a whole lot easier. You can catch his gyro with an aerial, so you can move close with crawl, then jump fair when he grabs you and you hit him.
He can only bounch the lazer from a smallish area in front of him compared to how far he can shoot it straight. Watch out for Nair, it's gross. You can kinda combo rob, but he can just Up b away from you to get out. In summary what is best to do is crawl up to the area where he bounces the lazer, watch him wiff a couple times and then anticipate when he curves it. Jump in and predict the gyro toss and catch it with an aerial while advancing on him. Predict the spot dodge and punish with Dair. If he isn't spot dodging go into jab-jab-grab and it's follow up combos from dthrow and uthrow.
I hope this helps.

LoveLucario

Smash Rookie
The only character you really need to worry about if your main is lucario (he is my main) is olimar.
olimar can spam his c-sstick which screws you over because you cant reach him to attack and all you can really do is use aura spheres which are easy to dodge. idk thats my opinion becuase the rest of the characters i can can easily kick the crap out of them.

as with avoiding metknights up b once you see him start to jump to you start your counter.
usually it works but sometimes you get caught.

Popertop

Smash Champion
Not on anyone good. Quality Metaknight will stay where he can dash attack or dash grab in an instant, and still be able to powershield AS on command. You have to work very hard to get inside, and when you do you have to combo the crap out of him. At certian percentages if you space it right, Fair out prioritizes Mach Tornado. Also Bair does if you retreat and they advance. Also Dair, but that's a no-no 'cause he could shuttle loop you in an instant, and he WILL sweetspot it. The sweetspot on his Up-B lasts way too long. Like a full quarter of a second or something crazy like that. Watch out for his edge guarding with it.
I forgot about Fsmash vs Mach Tornado. If you aren't spaced far enough away, he can Mach in and out and punish you before his move is over. If you are far, you're safe, but that doesn't really get you anywhere. :(

I don't know much about the Olimar matchup though...

DanGR

BRoomer
BRoomer
The only character you really need to worry about if your main is lucario (he is my main) is olimar.
olimar can spam his c-sstick which screws you over because you cant reach him to attack and all you can really do is use aura spheres which are easy to dodge. idk thats my opinion becuase the rest of the characters i can can easily kick the crap out of them.
YOU GOT THAT RIGHT. HUUUAA! lol

that said, Olimar has to be one of the worst. i love it when olimar mainers try to defend how incredibly cheap he is by saying, just kill the pikmin! when the little ****s dont die to anything less than a full charged aura sphere. attacking him from the ground is **** since all his smashes and grab has enormous range, hes a lot weaker in the air though, but not from above. my #1 rule when against olimar, stay the hell away from the immediate area above him, since his upsmash will kill at like 100%, and it comes out faster than you can blink. keep him in the air and juggle as much as possible, dont let him land and commence the spam.
Just kill the pikmin, how hard is that? lol, but really, no. That's not even close to how you beat him. That's just a scare tactic to get you distracted. (did I say that out loud?)

You pretty much got it right. If you happen to be right next to him at any point in the match, don't just roll away. If you're behind him, anticipate a fast dsmash and try to use you jab>fp combo every time. It probably won't be too stale cuz you won't get much up close on him. If you're in the front, you're screwed. Just prepare to DI correctly. (try to get away from being too up close and space better)

For when he spams pikmin, look for him to follow up. If he doesn't, just continue to pummel at the pikmin. Try to kill them with your combo starters, as they restore the DR on the rest of your moves if you do, and they'll create less knockback for the moves you want to combo with.

Don't edgeguard him excessively. Be aware that if he doesn't have his second jump, he's pretty much screwed if you can make it back to the stage to ledgehog effectively.

And lastly, don't underestimate the range on any of his smashes or grabs. They're insane. Try to be aware of the pikmin order if you can, and learn the different kill moves based on the different pikmin. Olimar mainers will pay close attention to this and so should you.

-DanGR

Popertop

Smash Champion
Yah, Olimar is tricky.
Best way to learn how to counter a character is to spend some time playing as them.
Blue Pkmin Bthrow is sick.
I hate yellow.
Purple make me laugh and then make me sad.

Browny

Smash Hater
lol my brother gets really pissed at playing against my lucario, the only characters who stand a chance versus lucario according to him, and i agree, are G&W, snake, ROB and olimar. but then again which characters arent ***** by those 4?

point is, i dont think Lucario is disadvantaged against anyone not mentioned above. sure the matchup may be a soft advantage to the likes of DK, pit and pika (as in, lucario is slightly disadvantaged against them), but everything else is either neutral or advantage to lucario imo.

his aerial range is just too much for anyone without a sword and chain grabs against the heavyweight low % killers just top it off.

Pentaoku

Smash Apprentice
I don't think Lucario has a disadvantage to Pikachu at all... care to explain?

Jeepy Sol

Smash Ace
I think there's a lot of truth to what djbrowny said. Beyond G&W, Snake, ROB, and Olimar, it all really comes down to your personal playstyle, and who your Lucario is good/bad at playing.

Browny

Smash Hater
pikachu has beastly vertical KO moves. one slip up and lucario can take an extremely cheap KO off the top. pika cant be chain grabbed to any decent % and he cant be f-air spammed off stage. i say pika because, like DK and pit, those are the only characters ive ever lost to as lucario (besides the other 4)

its similar to fox really, except fox can get chained all the way up to 60%+ and his recovery is just asking for an aura sphere.

btw had some lols tonight. my brother decided to play through every single character (yes, all 35...) until he beat my lucario. i told him not to use G&W, snake or olimar. we only ever use those 3 against each other because they seem to have equal chances against each other while flattening everyone else. He didnt win one, so now hes decided lucario is now in the same league of cheapness and overpoweredness as those 3, and from now on he refuses to play me unless he can use them :(

lucario is too good for his own good lol.

chain grabs, lingering hitboxes, omfg range fsmash, projectile that can KO, tilt locks, real combos, WOP, throws can KO, huge range/priority aerials that are fast and can KO.

yep, if it wasnt for his meh recovery he be as broken as snake lol :p

Nodrak

Smash Ace
i say pika because, like DK and pit, those are the only characters ive ever lost to as lucario (besides the other 4)
As Jeepy said, it comes down to playstyle. I personally have no problems with DK, I'm about even with Pit and Pika it can go either way (either really good or really bad depending on how the pika plays).

Squirtle is pretty annoying, but I like utilt and ftilt for anti-approach for anyone overall, and SHAD is good overall.
Squirtle has a slight advantage over Lucario simply because he can rack up damage, he really isn't good at killing us though

Does anyone have advice against ROB?
Counterpick with G&W

Popertop

Smash Champion
..... srysly that's all?
I'm pretty sure I can DI out of his Dsmash and punish with Dair,
I have a good feel for his spam, so I can spot dodge lazers and catch gyros most of the time,
What else would I need to know?

so in ma personal opinion, im always getting bashed by "The" Characters, and the occasional characters. ( the * means i have beaten people who play as the character but struggled to a degree)

"The" characters (the jokes, that you should pwn but you cant.)
G&W*
Diddy Koc....Kong*
ROB*
Luigi*
Toon Link*
I cant stand fighting these guys they just seem like total jokes to me, im laughing whilst i fight them.

the characters (those who just have those moves that make u AAAAARGH!!!)
Ike*
Falco*
Wolf*
Lucas*
Snake*
Zelda
Sonic*
C. Falcon*
All these characters just have that one move that gets to you, falco and wolfs blaster, sonics speed, ALL of ikes Smash Attacks, zeldas U-smash, as well as Lucas' U-Smash, and all of snakes move so tricky catch me off guard while im kicking the crap outta him.

Nurotasama

Smash Journeyman
I personally find I have the most trouble versus Marth due to his speed and larger disjointed hitbox. I have some problems with Sonic due to his speed and odd priorities.

phi1ny3

Not the Mama
Marth is tricky, but remember, if ur going to do anything, remember spacing well, because Marths (like me) zone on said person. ftilt, utilt, and AA variations are good for on the ground for racking up damage, and in the air, use bairs, nairs, and surprise fairs (not against his airs, they are hard to beat, SHAD those). Use at least half-full charge AS, since he can block BAS with ftilt or A jab. grab quite a bit, use FP sometimes, and if he starts overwhelming u, use DT. Luckily, Fsmash is actually a good useful killer, since it outranges and lingers compared to his Fsmash. dair occasionally, but don't too often, or ftilt will take care of u. Careful of using shield, bcuz -> B and neut B are some of the game's best antidefense attacks. If he uses -> a lot, DT or even hit him with AS, since it's has a bit of lag pulling out of attacking. If he wails on u with fair, DT or airdodge, or utilt if u have to. Those are my suggestions, but yes, marth is a beast.

Browny

Smash Hater
learn to DI marths fsmash omg

without DI, lucario can die at low as 80% from the middle of FD. DI upwards and a tipper wont kill until 104.

Top Bottom