• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Lucas' Down B - A Psychic Shine Spike?

GetSmashedWithTheBros

Smash Apprentice
I was playing around in Training Mode with Lucas earlier and I found that Lucas' Down B attack, the PSI Magnet, can harm opponents. It can only harm opponents when being returned to Lucas (meaning that it hits once Down+B is released), and only does 9-10% damage, but it's got some solid knockback - I used it to kill a Samus at somewhere near 110% damage.

Obviously, compared with the rest of Lucas' smashes, this is nothing to speak of. But what I did find was that it's somewhat similar to Fox's Shine Spike, in that you can follow an opponent off the edge, use the Magnet, and it will send them back far enough that they can't recover. Timing this is a problem, mainly because of the Magnet's slow startup speed, and that the move contacts as it finishes.

Additionally, the Magnet will slow your fall if you use it while midair, and you can jump out of it - two traits akin to the Shine. I haven't really experimented much with it, but, nonetheless, with some practice, I feel like this could be an effective technique.

I apologize if this is old news, but I discovered this a little bit ago and figured I'd run it by the boards to see what other people had found/said about this.

Side note: Because I feel like it's a move that's unlikely to be used for KOs, I feel like mindgames could come into play somewhere in here, but it's just an idea...

Levitas

the moon
As it turns out, this is one of the most frequent thread topics on the lucas boards. Please use the search function.

That said, Welcome to smashboards!

TechnoMonster

Smash Ace
Yeah it's neat, and so is the search function, also I like being redundant

Welcome to smashboards!

Tyr_03

Smash Champion
Lucas's down B doesn't really compare to a shine spike. First of all it doesn't send them at the angle that made shine spiking so great and more importantly it takes significantly longer to come out. The timing is difficult to get a good hit off and Lucas has countless better moves to use for edgeguarding and killing in general. I almost never use the magnet as an attack move for these reasons.

shinhed-echi

Smash Hero
NNID
punchtropics
3DS FC
5301-0890-0238
Yeah. I tried "Blind Magnet"ting the sandbag, but the timing's hard. I think if you JUMP diagonally, everything comes out much faster. :p

Still, PK magnet will only hit if it's charged for a split second. I've noticed how if you simply tap down-b, you won't get any damage/knockback from the enemy.

Magical Samurai

Smash Cadet
I can KO with the Magnet, but it's not my personal favorite, due to the speed.
I do use it all the time to slow my descent and throw off timing, I'll literally spam it in the air to control my fall. This seems to work well, as you can dodge out of it, jump, etc.

-Magical Samurai

TechnoMonster

Smash Ace
Yeah. I tried "Blind Magnet"ting the sandbag, but the timing's hard. I think if you JUMP diagonally, everything comes out much faster. :p

Still, PK magnet will only hit if it's charged for a split second. I've noticed how if you simply tap down-b, you won't get any damage/knockback from the enemy.
False, you're just missing, hit with the middle.

Powda

Smash Apprentice
I still uset his move more than any other move. The knock back is awesome for combos. Sometimes I can do it 2-3 times before the player can di out of it. SHFF dspecial.

Top Bottom