• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Lucas has the second most reliable jab lock in the game.

Galeon

Smash Ace
For me, it feels really hard to setup on people. That's from an aggressive standpoint though. Should probably look for opportunities to dair out of shield. The times I did get the dair though, the guy stood up juuust before I started the dtilt so I'm pretty sure you have to fast fall as soon as you land the 4th kick to true combo it.

mitani

Smash Rookie
For me, it feels really hard to setup on people. That's from an aggressive standpoint though. Should probably look for opportunities to dair out of shield. The times I did get the dair though, the guy stood up juuust before I started the dtilt so I'm pretty sure you have to fast fall as soon as you land the 4th kick to true combo it.
Was this not mentioned in the first post? Fast falling is necessary for dtilt to connect.:laugh:

prOAPC

Smash Lord
today i have a lot of matches with my friends
only in one match, vs pikachu, i had the opportunity to jab lock after a dair, but i think i use the d-tilt too fast so he could recover almost immediately, i have a video, i'll post it later

prOAPC

Smash Lord
i did it yesterday vs a Ganondorf :D (the best player from my crew, he mains Snake)
it was a FFA, and i attack that ganon with the dair to dtilt, when he was 200% a yoshi came and it smash him, it was awesome!!!

Galeon

Smash Ace
Ok so I've been messing with this ALOT since I found out about it. I even was able to use it in tourney a couple times this weekend. Is it entirely unusable on people at low percents though? I mean, like around 10'ish. I noticed people standing up much quicker at that percent getting up almost as soon as the dtilt hit them.

I did find success in doing it to catch sidesteps and out of shield when a move hits deep and has recovery (like Kirby's fsmash, was able to do it on reaction). I have also had success jumping from the ledge and pausing a bit before dair'ing. If you do it directly off the ledge like usual, pretty sure you can't catch em.

mitani

Smash Rookie
Ok so I've been messing with this ALOT since I found out about it. I even was able to use it in tourney a couple times this weekend. Is it entirely unusable on people at low percents though? I mean, like around 10'ish. I noticed people standing up much quicker at that percent getting up almost as soon as the dtilt hit them.

I did find success in doing it to catch sidesteps and out of shield when a move hits deep and has recovery (like Kirby's fsmash, was able to do it on reaction). I have also had success jumping from the ledge and pausing a bit before dair'ing. If you do it directly off the ledge like usual, pretty sure you can't catch em.
The lowest % that will "activate" it is 40. Say you dtilt and it bounces them at 37%, you cannot land a second dtilt and they will get up. If you dtilt and it bounces them up at anything 40+, you can jab lock.

Using the example of a Fair setup, 30% is ideal, opponent is knocked straight back and to the ground with almost no time to DI. The Fair does what, 7-9% and at that time you quickly run up to them and dtilt. The dtilt accumulates to more than 40 and lets you continue on with the lock.

mitani

Smash Rookie
Is it really 40%?

That's really low! But I thought they had to be at a higher percent.
80% for Dair to spike to the ground. Watch my Bair video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SWhcEmhW1gw

I catch the CPU at 59%. You cannot jump out of it or air dodge [if you would notice the sparks around Ivysaur during the whole Bair hit animation], you can only DI(not far)/tech the ground(likely to happen). But yes, 40% is the minimum.

I play a lot of Ness too...sadly I couldn't find many setups for him, just the Dair. Plus it's harder to do it with his standing jab, making sure not to release the second jab of the AAA combo...and the Dair lag :(

LooftWaffles

Smash Journeyman
I havent seen anyone mention this.... is tilt-sticking required? Or does it just take lots of practice using A and the left stick? Also, if this is the case, how often do you find yourself dsmashing instead of dtilt?

Muh

Smash Rookie
While a trip is not jablockable, it opens the way for a grounded footstool combo seen here:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wWiQTh63_XU

around 1:40, Lucas is shown using the technique and spiking with Dair. To put it simply, while a trip does not directly allow a jab lock, it can open the opportunity to set one up.

Miles.

Smash Champion
I'd post a video and all, but I don't have the equipment to do that. Maybe I'll draw up a little diagram when I get the time. I really think this is something all Lucas players should look at learning.
PM me and send me your wii code and brawl friend code and send me a replay of you doing it and I can upload it in HD Quality sir.

This is very intriguing indeed.

Top Bottom