• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Lucas main alt suggestions?

IDK

Smash Lord
hi everyone my main is Lucas but a few of my friends say i should alt someone else so i can counterpick even tho i am really good with lucas :p. anyway does anyone have a suggestion for who i should alt? (please dont say ness. because... well no.:laugh:

NESSBOUNDER

Smash Master
Since both Ness and Lucas are useless in competitive play thanks to the crappy chain grab that everyone can perform on them, I'd suggest looking for a new MAIN. -_-

*depressed*

chubb-o-wub

Smash Journeyman
Since both Ness and Lucas are useless in competitive play thanks to the crappy chain grab that everyone can perform on them, I'd suggest looking for a new MAIN. -_-

*depressed*
What is this chain grab that EVERYONE has on Ness/Lucas? As for alts, you could try Toon Link or Snake, I think they do good on G&W

EDIT - OK, found out what that is, and now it sucks for me *depressed*

LittLeLives

Smash Apprentice
I wanna know what this particular CG is.

Also, I use Ness and Game and Watch as alternatives. G&W seems to be popular among Lucas/Ness players. He's quite a good character. If you play Lucas because of how versatile he is, Game and Watch is a good compliment because he has a lot of options going for him. You don't need to stick to rinse, washing and repeating the same moves, instead you have a lot more variety.

Edit: I saw the topic about the chain grabbing. It won't discourage me from using Lucas, but I can see why it can be disheartening.

Affinity

Smash Hero
NNID
Affinity2412
i just recently picked up meta knight; now I'm debating whether or not to replace Lucas with him as my main...

EDIT: nvm. decided to main both.

Genghis Tom

Smash Rookie
Olimar

nosrsly

::shifty::

I have been playing Olimar (at first as a joke) in friendlies when I want a bit of variety and he seems to be a pretty decent counterpick.

Also Pikachu's playstyle is easy to adapt to as a Lucas main, I just dont know where he is in the "tier list" yet. Regardless, you should second random...

GKirby

Smash Apprentice
I have prepared alot of alts in the case that i face one of those 'guys'(characters that i just suck against) and if they pick those guys, I will absolutely not use Lucas, unless i have some sort of strategy or they just suck. I find Toon Link to be the best of the gang. This is just my opinion.

I bleed audio

Smash Rookie
I alt with snake and G&W though it is ackward to go from playing lucas to G&W

Also whats the deal with this chain grab thing? Is it really such a big deal that it's breaking competition? I mean if anything isn't that an advantage for lucas players? I mean if you know your opponent is going to go for that chain grab isn't that just an opportunity to set up situational traps for him/her? I just don't really see it as a reason for anyone to change their main over

Tyr_03

Smash Champion
Main Metaknight and alt Olimar. Use Olimar to beat Snake. You'll basically win every tournament that way as long as you're a good player.

Levitas

the moon
Better, Main meta and alt Olimar and snake. Snake beats MK, Olimar beats Snake, MK beats Olimar.

It's like rock paper scissors... sort of.

Rapid_Assassin

Smash Master
I alt with snake and G&W though it is ackward to go from playing lucas to G&W

Also whats the deal with this chain grab thing? Is it really such a big deal that it's breaking competition? I mean if anything isn't that an advantage for lucas players? I mean if you know your opponent is going to go for that chain grab isn't that just an opportunity to set up situational traps for him/her? I just don't really see it as a reason for anyone to change their main over
No. Your opponent only needs to bait you to shield, do something laggy, or even just catch you off guard, and good bye stock...

Anyway, if you want suggestions:

If you like B sticking, Peach has uses for the B stick. Not sure who else though.

If you want a character that's generally unpopular but at least doesn't get grabbed to death, Sonic, Pokemon trainer, Sheik, Samus

IDK

Smash Lord
i picked up diddy and got pretty good. also he's really fun. yeah good point about what i like about him but not really sure. sorry i was off the boards for a while... been busy. anyway at this point here are my chars in order: lucas/diddy/wolf/pit. i think thats about it. i was marth in melee but dont know how to use him in brawl. :/ whatev.

NOTE: all chaingrabs can be escaped by rolling, placedodging, or DIing.

ForteEscape

Smash Cadet
Though i don't use him, I would recommend G+W, like most people.
Another option could be Marth, since Lucas lacks a bit in the range department.
Or if you don't like that, you could go for TL for decent range and projectiles.

fridayslobster

Smash Apprentice
I use DDD as my alt, and Im starting to think he might become my main. He's a pretty fun character to play and contrasts to lucas well.

Levitas

the moon
I take back what I said for meta/olimar. the best two you can pick are Meta and snake who look like they're in ridiculous tier right now.

C3CC

Smash Lord
My opinion is that you should have a 2nd main, you know, to avoid always using the same character and being predictable. If you don't want to, just ignore them and keep using Lucas, he is a great character.

IDK

Smash Lord
well my friend mains marth and he can do a rediculous ken combo and diddy and lucas both arent great against spikes because their recovieries take time, but i usually just airdodge his ken combos. he tries to grab a lot and diddy sort of wins in that aspect so i can beat him with diddy. against his pit my lucas has won. his marth has sort of inspired me to pick up marth too. i do like the idea of MK or olimar but im not a big fan of snake or DDD. i would definately prefer characters with spikes... which MK doesnt have. idk about olimar. anyone know? i know marth does. it's epic too.

PKstarstorm

Smash Rookie
I take back what I said for meta/olimar. the best two you can pick are Meta and snake who look like they're in ridiculous tier right now.
umm...why is snake considered one of the best characters? all his good attacks are easy to jump over or roll around. is snake more powerful against lucas?

Levitas

the moon
From Ankoku's data:
S Rank
Snake (32 top8, 25 top4, 18 wins, 181 pts)
Meta Knight (32 top8, 35 top4, 7 wins, 156 pts)
A Rank
King Dedede (11 top8, 14 top4, 9 wins, 92.5 pts)
Mr. Game & Watch (20 top8, 11 top4, 8 wins, 83 pts)
Wario (5 top8, 9 top4, 10 wins, 79.5 pts)
Marth (22 top8, 18 top4, 2 wins, 75 pts)
ROB (16 top8, 15 top4, 3 wins, 68 pts)
Pikachu (3 top8, 14 top4, 3 wins, 58.5 pts)

And that is why I think snake is a good character.

Seriously, though, snake is a beast. His moves are much faster and more ranged that one would expect, he's heavy, and has a good recovery.

NESSBOUNDER

Smash Master
I would recommend Lucario. He is a top-tier killer and is a lot of fun to play. Don't let the steep learning curve get you down.

gantrain05

Smash Master
well my opinion as a good 2nd choice would probably be pikachu or toon link, with that combo you pretty much have most of your weaknesses covered, at least against mk, zelda, and wario, which are what i usually have the most trouble with, usually i will pick toon to fight mk and i can usually beat zeldas and warios with lucas, he's just generally an all around good character.

Top Bottom