• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Lucas matchup discussion. (overhaul in progress)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Trozz

Smash Ace
G&W's throw, jab, regrab is lousy. His real advantage is d-throw, near guaranteed d-smash. GG for Lucas, who feels like he's lower on the tier list.

Levitas

the moon
Dthrow should not guarantee a dsmash by any means. Get ready for the roll, you've got time. Also, be ready to shield if he jabs you (watch for a regrab in that case).

G&W will probably end up at the very top in the leagues of MK and Snake, although Mewtwoking won a largish tournament with DDD recently, if memory serves.

Tyr_03

Smash Champion
M2K's Dedede is ridiculous. He may single handedly bring him up to top tier.

supercake

Smash Apprentice
Zelda is a pretty good matchup for Lucas. Spam pkfire from a distance constantly, and if zelda starts to reflect then bstick it to stay out of range. Eventually zelda might get frustrated at not being able to approach and use din's fire which magnet eats right up.

olimar can outcamp lucas but the bat works very well against him for reflecting pikmin back onto him.

Levitas

the moon
@ Fishcake:
This is not true, and has no threat to lucas above 20%. My info is reliable, Ankoku and I did some intensive testing of this about a month ago.

This is a huge problem for ness, however.

Fishcake56

Smash Cadet
Ah thanks for the clarification, Levitas. I have never encountered a Marth who has tried this on my Lucas so I have never personally tried any methods of escape. I was mentioning the Marth grab in the hopes that someone could prove me wrong and I am ecstatic that Lucas does not have such a glaring vulnerability against Marth.

chubb-o-wub

Smash Journeyman
Whoever gave the info for Pit, you got it wrong. Lucas, and Ness for that matter, can use the PSI Magnet thing to absorb all those arrows from Pit and force him to go offensive. Don't believe me, try it yourself.

TechnoMonster

Smash Ace
Is oil panic magnetable? I was under the impression it wasn't, and I definitely got bucketed straight through a magnet the other day.

supercake

Smash Apprentice
no its not magnetable unfortunately. G&W is another matchup I think lucas mainers will be fearing a lot more in the future. G&W is incredible, he will probably be top tier once people realize how good he is, which will make him even more popular, and more frustrating for lucas players. We really need to find a good strategy against him.

GofG

Smash Champion
I'd just like to say that after facing a random noob snake at Gamefrog three nights ago, I've determined that I would never play a Lucas against a Snake in a tournament setting, ever.

Olimar destroys him, with no skill necessary.

Arkayne

Smash Rookie
Olimar destroys him, with no skill necessary.

This is quite correct, I played a friend of mine who plays the most annoying turtle olimar I have ever played.

But after playing against him for almost 12 hours straight.. I have noted a couple things that help against olimar.

* Lucas' pivot grab is a bad idea, when you turn around olimar can jsut N-grab you.. it never fails...
* Down+B seriously helped cover range against olimar.. SH -> Down+B.. for the simple fact hes gonna try and smash when you approach.. the Magnet will get him before he can smash .. situational though. ( Not to mention you get knockback)

* FAir Puts olimar in his place on recover /Dair breaks him and the Pikminz.. ( seemed situational)

* PK Fire owns Olimar for FREE.. serisouly PKF ***** him and his mom..

* Also F-Tilt... spaces olimar like nothing.. I usually used after SH N-Air. It kills all Pikminz except for maybe 1 and knocks him back... track with FAir.

* N-A combo helped when olimar tries to rush.. everytime he rushed it pushed him back...

( Im in Class so I cant go in depth as I want to.)

Levitas

the moon
Agreed that G&W is a fairly solid Lucas counter. His bucket gimps PKT2 recovery if you try it from too close, too. Not only that, but when he does it, he gets a free oil panic, which WILL KO if he hits you with it. Also, his DThrow to oil panic is flat out mean.

As far as the Olimar stuff, I just moved it to the first post.

Arkayne

Smash Rookie
Agreed that G&W is a fairly solid Lucas counter. His bucket gimps PKT2 recovery if you try it from too close, too. Not only that, but when he does it, he gets a free oil panic, which WILL KO if he hits you with it. Also, his DThrow to oil panic is flat out mean.

As far as the Olimar stuff, I just moved it to the first post.

Ill have to remember that about G&W......

I still cant seem to understand why olimar beats lucas... I jsut dont get it lol!

Trozz

Smash Ace
Olimar has speed, range, and control (at least, while he's on the ground). N-air doesn't kill yellow pikmin latched on you. T_T

As for Snake, you might be better off switching characters (maybe use ICs).

Levitas

the moon
I've honestly never had an issue with olimars. PK Fire, nairs, some tilts. When Olimar's offstage, he's dead.

Arkayne

Smash Rookie
Olimar has speed, range, and control (at least, while he's on the ground). N-air doesn't kill yellow pikmin latched on you. T_T

As for Snake, you might be better off switching characters (maybe use ICs).
Really now? It doesn't kill yellow pikminz? I could swear N-air kills red-yellow-and white when they are latched on.

Ill have to go see about that...

hm.. interesting...

ehh dunno , Ill probably be playing a couple olimars/snakes tomorrow...

Ill see what I can gather info wise.

TechnoMonster

Smash Ace
Yellow pikmin mess me up because I'm usually using N-air to approach

It's just like hitting a destructible, it stuns you for like a minute.

Otherwise Olimar is pretty cake unless it's Injection's Olimar, Lucas has duration attacks, approaches and KOs all over, just gotta get used to spamming him, rushing him right, and avoiding damage. And I think GofG was saying that Olimar destroys Snake, not that Olimar destroys Lucas.

GofG

Smash Champion
Yes, i was saying that I would switch to Olimar if I were playing a notable Snake player in a tournament, as Olimar absolutely wrecks snake.

Arkayne

Smash Rookie
Yellow pikmin mess me up because I'm usually using N-air to approach

It's just like hitting a destructible, it stuns you for like a minute.

Otherwise Olimar is pretty cake unless it's Injection's Olimar, Lucas has duration attacks, approaches and KOs all over, just gotta get used to spamming him, rushing him right, and avoiding damage. And I think GofG was saying that Olimar destroys Snake, not that Olimar destroys Lucas.

LOL! well geez *headbangs desk*

W/E Vs. Olimar strats came out of it.

But seriously though Ill see what I can do against snake....

Im probably gonna be fighting like 3 different snakes >__>.

One turtler ... one offense hungry... and one with tricks.. UGHHH

Trozz

Smash Ace
I have a world of troubles landing smash attacks on Olimar. Sometimes I just try to kill with PKF (since all you need to do to win is get him off the stage).

Levitas

the moon
lol, batting pikmin back at him is funny. Smashes really aren't necessary. If you're trying to hit him off with PKF, think about throwing a fair out, it should hit him offstage much more easily. Even the strong hit of the nair might do the job, and nair to ftilt would be better.

TechnoMonster

Smash Ace
Call the turtle, roll away and PK fire. vs. Full Hop Turtle, run under his *** and hit him with a u-smash, ****?! Ok so that doesn't work so well, but you can run under him and do a u-air or n-air or punish after with a well timed F-air.

Don't try to fight the turtle, just go around it and dear god don't shield the whole thing.

I really wanted to post the deal on Falco though, because Falco is a buff dude and there's no way around it. A couple of things with Falco:

1) Play extremely accurately and somewhat carefully.
Falco is a buff dude and his buffest bit is his 42% chain grab to dashattackusmash combo which is gay. You can try to get out by mashing A, in which case you may neutral air or jab him if he times his janx incorrectly. Otherwise just DI and take it like a man, it won't kill you.
Falco's second buffest bit is his Backair, which is kinda like game and watch's F-air in duration range and priority, with a bit less knockback, and ***** all of your air game and ***** your johns while it's there. Falco cannot pull this off fast enough to counter your approach (but he can f-smash you tho so don't be dumb), so it's good to approach, but it's better not to PK thunder too close to the stage and get a backair to the face, and for the most part don't try to challenge him in the air, you have some good speed and priority but it's like jumping at a Game and Watch or very similar, it looks tempting but is full of **** for you and not them.
Lasers are pretty cake, shield 'em rather than trying to absorb them in a silly manner unless it's really safe and obvious. I like to try to powershield them because it makes Falco angry.
2) In contradiction to #1 go for the **** as often as possible.
Uptilt to shieldgrab ***** Falco and as far as I can tell is 100% gaurenteed lol, because Falco will always either downair or airdodge after an uptilt, and for some reason never jump. Good for 25% and maybe a good edgeguard to boot.
Falcos like to Forward B recover to the middle of the stage. This is u-smash city population Falco. Do this a few times, and he'll try to go for the ledge, which takes longer and is funny to **** with PK thunder and D-smash (Falco can be d-smashed out of his up-b and side b at the right angles at the edge).
3) Also PK Fire and f-tilt that mofo to make him tech and then tech chase and throw him off the stage or f-tilt him again whatever you like. Remember to shield as he lands out of his falling animation to stop your momentum and approach the direction you predict quickly.

Arkayne

Smash Rookie
Game & Watch.

What in the world is best to do with regards to his approaching with that **** turtle?

If I can give one piece of advice about G&W.. dont throw stray PKF's or PKT's...

G&W's love to just bucket them. Also, G&W's like to turtle you and then "TURTLE" you.. becareful.

Techno , has alot of good points against the f*ing turtle. It is very solid advice.

TechnoMonster

Smash Ace
More game and watch stuff:

Obviously don't try to trade aerial for aerial, his are more powerful and fastar.

Forward air is mega laggy if he lands with it, and if you shield it then it can't hit you for the rest of the attack

Key has a hitbox when it hits the ground as well, kinda like Yoshi and DeDeDe's stars on their down and up-b respectively.

Don't hang out above game and watch for long, all of his moves will beast ya.

If you can, then sh airdodge towards him a few times during the match to go through a laggy attack and then you can punish.

Oh yeah, and this has already been mentioned, but if you want a good trade, spam him with PKF until he buckets one, then run up and upsmash him, because the bucket has a TON of lag when you bucket something. Upsmash is also good if you can call a down-air or something like that, and if you're standing on a platform and are probably going to get hit, whip out a d-smash, it might trade for a good chunk of %.

Trozz

Smash Ace
I'd rather use Ness (his throws own GW).

Lucas has a nice ground game and a much better dash... shame you can't use it against people who kick *** with spacing the turtle.

Here's a GW trick. Throw missed PKFs so he will attempt to bucket. There is a lot of lag on a failed bucket, and even if it does collect, it still lags. Free hit! (Don't u-smash or you'll be hammered.)

What I do need help with is a game vs ROB on a small map (like bf or yi). He takes forever to kill and jabs always fail vs ROB's land game. Gyro mastery is crazy sick.

nicaboy

Smash Champion
ya about time a theard like this is up great stuff and ya i do find playing snake a tough match up for lucas. snakes weight makes it diffuclt for low % up smash kills i couldnt kill him and i up smashed snake @130%.

Arkayne

Smash Rookie
ya about time a theard like this is up great stuff and ya i do find playing snake a tough match up for lucas. snakes weight makes it diffuclt for low % up smash kills i couldnt kill him and i up smashed snake @130%.
All I can say is hes snake...

Galeon

Smash Ace
Yea I totally forgot about this topic. But yea, lemme talk about the Metaknight match again.

Metaknight's Up-B to glide attack is really tough to get around unless you react as soon as he does it. His glide attack will clank any attack you throw out and will get you down smashed if you're close to or on the ground when he uses it. Rolling around Up-B is a little more difficult than it sounds. If you roll past his glide attack as he's reaching the ground, Lucas's roll is slow enough that he'll get tornadoed or turn around Up-B'ed. Good Metaknights will probably go into those 2 options if they see you blocked or at low percent. Down smash is the unsafe choice for them.

What you can do is wait for the glide attack and if he's really close upon landing, you can get a full jab combo in. If he spaces his glide attack, your first jab will have knockback and push him out of range for the rest of the jabs. This is going to get you Up-B'ed. A single jab will get a bit of damage and should bait a reset of sorts if he sees he's hit and you haven't whiffed your second jab. If he does Up-B after your single jab, it won't hit you. THIS is where rolling comes in. If a Metaknight EVER Up-B's close to you and it doesn't hit you, you can shamelessly roll behind him the second he leaves the ground. From here, you have an advantage because you can challenge his Up-B from below with an up tilt or up air. 90% of the time you'll hit him clean but if he times his glide attack perfectly, he'll clank and have fall time because you should have challenged him when he was above you. Now you can get a jab combo if he's relatively close to the ground, a grab, or possibly a bat if you got him to glide attack noticeably high.

If a Metaknight Up-B's from far away and is going for you, your goal is to run underneath him. By doing that, you're forcing a reaction because he won't be in a good position. He'll most likely aim his glide down to hit you with a glide attack. This is where your mixup comes in. You can either block and jab as he lands to setup for the situation above or challenge him with an up air or Up Smash. Up Smash (I know this is risky, I rarely ever use this move but here's it valid) will catch him if he was ready to clank with something like an up air or something as you'll slide past the range of his glide attack (behind him), if he chooses to glide past you, or will flat out trade. Playing safe would be challenging with up air.

If a Metaknight is tornado'ing close to you, then unfortunately you're going to have to take it. At close range, you won't have time to PK Fire and it will eat your shield easily. If you run away and try to shield the last few hits whe you reach the edge of the stage, the Metaknight can still safely di away so you have no possibility of punishing him. If the Metaknight is dumb and is tornado'ing to get close, PK Fire his face. But to PUNISH the tornado, yes you're going to have to get hit by it probably. As you're rising in the tornado, mash your A button and attempt to di to either side. What should happen is instead of being launched by the final hit for about 10% damage, you'll come out of the tornado doing a neutral air. If you don't want to do that, then di and hope that the last hit doesn't get you so you can fall with him and up air him back into the air. Your biggest advantage against Metaknight is when he's above you.

EDGEGUARDING!: This is a toughy but you have to do it. The second you get Metaknight off stage, start a PK Thunder. I know you're probably thinking "But Galeon, he can tornado through my PK Thunder cause he's Metaknight and he's broken". Well right before you're about to make contact with him, start making your usual circles. The tornado cannot beat the tail of the PK Thunder. Drive that into his head. Make going low be a scary idea for him by pressuring him with PK Thunder and sending him back out horizontally with it, making it very difficult to recover. From my experiences, after enough time, they usually try to go high. But you have to remember that you have the advantage on Metaknight from below with both PK Thunder and some of your other moves.

NOT Getting Edgeguarded: Your Down Air beats Metaknight's Up-B from below you. But there is a spacing where you will trade or he will win. Practice with a friend so you can see when it's a better idea to beat him or airdodge. Feel free to mix it up. Also remember that its usually safer to come in from high above because its usually harder to get to Lucas when he's high rather than when he's low (they can just fall with you and kill you with a low percent dair).

Other Notes: This has been advice on how to fight a tournament Metaknight that abuses these moves or puts you in bad situations. Against general Metaknights that try to outspace you and don't abuse B-Moves, outspace them with PK Fire. The fear of PK Fire usually lets you approach. Against the tourney-style Metaknight, you will usually be approaching only to get intercepted by Up-B or Tornado. Against the normal kind, it is still a disadvantage but it isn't NEARLY as frustrating. Lucas CAN beat the spammy type of Metaknight but it is just very difficult. You always have to be thinking about their options and react instantly to things like Tornado or Up-B. Basically, it's nowhere near unwinnable but I would suggest counterpicking unless you're just that much better or have gotten used to the timings of beating those moves. And that's coming from a Lucas main.

Levitas

the moon
Galeon, great advice. It's going to the first post now.

Also, I just finished a new sig for myself. Anyone can take it (if they really want to, lol)

Mattnumbers

Smash Master
With Olimar the fastest way to gimp his recovery is to SH RAR (Very easy if you b-stick) right next to the edge and grab right after you jump. You will snap on extremely fast and you probably won't even get hit by his attack.

NESSBOUNDER

Smash Master
With Metaknight's up B spamming, I find that approaching with shorthopped air dodges is often effective. You'll usually end up behind him or just out of reach of his glide attack, or in a good position to shield it.

If Olimar is throwing pikmin at you, Nair gets them off very quickly since it covers Lucas's whole body.

Levitas

the moon
Nair doesn't get yellow pikmin off iirc, but other than that, yeah.

Edit: Just did a massive reformat/update. Now the list order is based off of Ankoku's character rankings, so it's more relavant to tournaments. :)

ZMan

Smash Master
cromartie high school aka albuquerque, nm
vs. Donkey Kong

Full hop Dair - fsmash works alot. Nair eats shields

vs. Snake

Don't go to Luigi's Mansion.

vs. Meta ****ing Knight

Play keep away with him. Jumping in wiith Fairs and going backwards is too good. Pk Fore > Tornado, and drill.

fishsticks

Smash Apprentice
Shanghai, China /// originally from Troy, MI
Against Toon Link: You can reflect both his arrows and his boomerang with your Fsmash; not sure about his bombs. PKF also burns up his arrows, though dodging may be a better option.

Sometimes players will spam dairs every chance they get, and I find rolling (to dodge) then quickly moving in for an aerial attack works wonders as well. Your dair > his if you time it right. :)

gantrain05

Smash Master
yeah i love this topic, my main is lucas, and my friends is meta, we've gone thru this match so many times i cant count it, tornado is annoying and basically if its activated close just take the hits because trying to run or block it usually gets you punished by a more punishing move, just remember projectiles are your friend and Dair works great on meta if used right, and remember to never ever ever try to spike meta with your Bair cuz fighting over an edge against a meta is a 99% chance you will die instead of hiim.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom