• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Lucas' Meteor Strike?

Shibby

Smash Journeyman
University of Minnesota (Green Bay Wisconsin in Su
I'm fairly new to the smash scene so forgive me if I get this terminology wrong. Does Lucas have a "meteor" smash/strike/move that will rocket the opponent down?

Ex. I knock my enemy off the stage and chase them with or without a jump, I catch up to them below the stage and then "meteor strike" them. This would give them no chance to recover because it rockets them down.

Is there such a move or am I mistaken?

hazard99

Smash Cadet
Alright I had that in mind, but I'm facing them as I'm chasing them. How does Back Air hit them?

The "bicycle kick" right?
Its not a bicycle kick. Its more like... a flip kick I guess. Watch some videos and look for it. The bAir has a meteor spike. I don't understand the timing... hopefully someone else can shed some light about it.

dAir also has a spike on the last kick. I'm not sure if its a meteor spike though. However, I have seen people spiking them down, and getting kills with it at high %s.

Just as a reference (not sure if you know, sorry if you do :)).

dAir= 4 Downward Kicks
bAir= A flip kick
fAir= A kick out front
uAir= A head butt (I think thats how you spell it... its late :))

Thand

Smash Cadet
Aye, Lucas has two methods of doing this.

As a previous poster mentioned, the fourth/final kick of Lucas' dAir is a spike (not a meteor). If properly sweet spotted, his bAir is a meteor smash. To use it on an opponent that is off the edge, just run to the end of the stage, turn around and jump. If done quickly enough, you will keep your forward momentum, but will have you back to your opponent. This is known as RARing (Reverse Aerial Rush).

Here's a video of Mario doing it: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vC3W_AxqxSE

Shibby

Smash Journeyman

As a previous poster mentioned, the fourth/final kick of Lucas' dAir is a spike (not a meteor). If properly sweet spotted, his bAir is a meteor smash. To use it on an opponent that is off the edge, just run to the end of the stage, turn around and jump. If done quickly enough, you will keep your forward momentum, but will have you back to your opponent. This is known as RARing (Reverse Aerial Rush).

"Because of the new game mechanics in Brawl, you can run forward, turn around, and jump, making your character keep your forward jumping momentum while facing the other way.

Simply Run forward, then turn around and jump at the same time. Then hold the direction you were running toward."

This RAR "Forward Back Air" is not easy ... lol

I think PK Thunder juggling may be my answer instead ...

Hardcorenesser

Smash Journeyman
you can auto RAR with the b-stick (modify controls so c-stick -> specials). run forward and tap it backwards. here is a video of a perfectly executed bair meteor smash:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xO8Nc17ZIyk

it happens around 0:47
and a good way to do the dair meteor smash (though i dont know if it qualifies as a meteor smash) is to jump 2 times in quick succession when you are standing/in the air right next to your oponent. it will go into the footstool jumping animation and right when you take off use dair and they will get hit with all 4 hits if you do it right. and even if they dont die right away it will give them 20% and you can still edgeguard them. bair meteor smash looks sexy too.

Earthbound360

Smash Hero
NNID
Mikman360
I heard treating the bair like a delayed dair spike (Like Ness' and ROBs) makes it easier to hit with.

I've played a real good Lucas and he has a great method for spiking with the dair. Full hop a dair and use it on the edge so that your final kick is pretty much cancelledat the end by landing. The last hitbox will bypass the edge and usually spike people.

0m3n5150

Smash Journeyman

The fourth kick in Lucas' dair is not a spike, because the other character can upB right after the attack hits, (while they're sent downwards.) Meaning that it is merely a meteor, or possibly just an attack that sends your opponent in a downwards direction.
Correct me if I'm wrong.

Shibby

Smash Journeyman
you can auto RAR with the b-stick (modify controls so c-stick -> specials). run forward and tap it backwards. here is a video of a perfectly executed bair meteor smash:

and a good way to do the dair meteor smash (though i dont know if it qualifies as a meteor smash) is to jump 2 times in quick succession when you are standing/in the air right next to your oponent. it will go into the footstool jumping animation and right when you take off use dair and they will get hit with all 4 hits if you do it right. and even if they dont die right away it will give them 20% and you can still edgeguard them. bair meteor smash looks sexy too.
Sounds like a lot of work! Don't know if changing my controls would be worth it. (I really like how quick the F-Smash gets off with the stick)

I'll test it though

I heard treating the bair like a delayed dair spike (Like Ness' and ROBs) makes it easier to hit with.

I've played a real good Lucas and he has a great method for spiking with the dair. Full hop a dair and use it on the edge so that your final kick is pretty much cancelledat the end by landing. The last hitbox will bypass the edge and usually spike people.

Questions:

1.)

Do you guys "edge hog" (hang from the end) so your opponent cannot grab it?

2.)

If you do, how long can you hang there till your invincibility is gone or till your character lets go?

3.)

Do you guys ever grab the edge with the Snake? (The timing for this seems to be really hit or miss, you miss you die...)

Shibby

Smash Journeyman

Alright so I did this but it will preform a RAR PK Fire not a B-Air kick.

Idk?

EDIT - PK Fire using B-Stick to throw Lucas off the stage and then your facing backwards to do the kick.

Really worth that trouble? Or am I doing it wrong?

Levitas

the moon
Um, If you run forward and while holding forward hit back on the c stick (with it set to specials), it will cause you to jump facing the direction opposite to your motion. Releace the c-stick quickly and press A for the back aerial (all the while holding the direction you were running in).

Shibby

Smash Journeyman
Um, If you run forward and while holding forward hit back on the c stick (with it set to specials), it will cause you to jump facing the direction opposite to your motion. Releace the c-stick quickly and press A for the back aerial (all the while holding the direction you were running in).
Awesome got it! Thank you for the clarification.

mNag

Smash Rookie
I prefere to edge-guard with PK-Fire, FAIR and PK-Thunder. If someone ever leaves themself in a vulnerable enough position for me to time and position a BAIR, they're probably done by a FAIR more easily anyways.

TechnoMonster

Smash Ace
I find f-air to be ineffective except at KO percents for gimping because it knocks them too high. Usually I use U-air (irony?) and repeating b-airs.

Deeja

Smash Cadet
When they are holding onto the ledge or sometimes recovering, although pk thunder is probably better to chase with, do a full hop dair and sometimes the last one will spike well enough that they can't recover, and it's hawt when it actually works.

Top Bottom