• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Lucas or Ness?

Golem the Stern Father

Smash Champion
TyfighterLAND. Location#2: Illinois? Yeah.
I meant in my sig.
I know you know about banning the user Meta______Knight, but mine, it's a little play-off from that.

BTW, I need to post more text in order to avoid getting a signature infraction by Mic_128, because we all know he's a super swaterator, no, a super moderator. This is not spam, it's just filler, just like what 4Kids use in all of their Pokemon episodes. If you're reading this, then you sould be ashamed of yourself. This statement has a lot of words, and you shouldn't bother reading it. I mean seriously, don't even highlight this post, it isn't worth it. At least it's almost done. Congradulations, you got to the second to last sentance. What a loser.

Jaqen

Smash Rookie
freeze < flash, though I'm sick of people saying freeze is useless. It's great and I'm quite good at landing it.

pkt: Lucas > Ness. Tighter movement and ability to go through target is nice. Makes it harder to gimp pkt2 recovery. Tail whipping w/Ness is nice but you don't even need to bother tail whipping w/Lucas. ;)

pkt2: debatable... Ness has a stronger one but I like how Lucas' hits.

fair, dair, bair, uair: Ness > Lucas. Though Lucas' fair can be brutal and send people flying. Lucas has a nice bair but Ness' is better. Ness' dair is far more brutal than Lucas'. Much easier to spike with Ness' too.

nair: Lucas >>> Ness

throws: Ness >>>>>>> Lucas

recovery: Lucas >>>> Ness. Tether too.

magnet: Lucas >>>>>> Ness... I think everyone will agree with this one hands down.

fire: Lucas == Ness... hard to say. Diagonal loses points for Ness but his hold makes up for it. Lucas' is weak but better range. If you land it with Ness, it can be brutal. Lucas has the better version for spacing and spamming though. Also can bstick it to bounce back. This is the only one I can't really decide on.

ftilt: Lucas > Ness. It's scary fast.

fsmash: Lucas >>>>>> Ness. It's so freakin fast and can still reflect projectiles. I play Lucas vs a friend who plays Ness and my stick always makes it before his bat... it's awesome.

dsmash: Lucas >>>>> Ness... yoyo's kinda weak. Lucas has nice hitboxes on it.

usmash: Lucas >>>>> Ness. His usmash is just insane if you can land it w/out getting punished. Can be just as dangerous to Lucas though if used improperly. Yoyo weak.

rope snake > yoyo: It just has such a cool personality and the yoyo doesn't talk! I do like yoyos though, just not his in smash.

voices/personality/looks: Lucas >>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Ness. Ness is so annoying in smash. His chubby body parts flying in your face and annoying shouts. Seeing his bair and dair is so annoying and looks stupid. Ness' outfits suck except for default and Mr. Saturn. Baseball uniform and bumblebee look so stupid imo. All of Lucas' colors are awesome, and can even be Claus! His red/Christmas color outfits are my favorite.

Mother 2 vs 3 character: Hard to say. Lucas = crybaby but matures greatly and saves the world. Ness has always been strong and saves the world and battles his inner demons (hardest fight in the game too unless you save all bags of dragonite for this fight and unleash it all. total **** >:D)

I like both. I always mained Ness until Brawl came out, and I was planning to main Ness in Brawl as well but then fell in love w/how Lucas controls compared to Ness.

Conclusions: I prefer Lucas. Ness should really be able to use bags of dragonite! They both should not have starstorm, that annoys me. They should have Rockin'/Love instead, since they never knew starstorm in the games. It'd be cool to see the shapes of those two spells flying over the screen rather than meteors (wtf it's supposed to be stars, not meteors). I think Lucas is far more versatile and better overall. Ness has such a beast back throw though and it's so easy to grab with Ness... that scares me. His dair and bair are such awesome kill moves, too. Nothing to be taken lightly. I have experience playing both a lot and I've played both games, so I think my analysis is pretty fair. The only reason I say Lucas is because I prefer to use him over Ness.

They aren't clones by far; they're so different. Saying they are is like saying Ryu and Ken are clones.

Zezz

Smash Rookie
Lucas is better than Ness. Lucas is cooler too and has a better voice
Ness is WAY better than Lucas. He is more cooler and has a way better voice.
Even though I don't like Lucas as much as Ness, I have to say that Lucas is the better character...
Ness is the better character.
freeze < flash, though I'm sick of people saying freeze is useless. It's great and I'm quite good at landing it.

pkt: Lucas > Ness. Tighter movement and ability to go through target is nice. Makes it harder to gimp pkt2 recovery. Tail whipping w/Ness is nice but you don't even need to bother tail whipping w/Lucas. ;)

pkt2: debatable... Ness has a stronger one but I like how Lucas' hits.

fair, dair, bair, uair: Ness > Lucas. Though Lucas' fair can be brutal and send people flying. Lucas has a nice bair but Ness' is better. Ness' dair is far more brutal than Lucas'. Much easier to spike with Ness' too.

nair: Lucas >>> Ness

throws: Ness >>>>>>> Lucas

recovery: Lucas >>>> Ness. Tether too.

magnet: Lucas >>>>>> Ness... I think everyone will agree with this one hands down.

fire: Lucas == Ness... hard to say. Diagonal loses points for Ness but his hold makes up for it. Lucas' is weak but better range. If you land it with Ness, it can be brutal. Lucas has the better version for spacing and spamming though. Also can bstick it to bounce back. This is the only one I can't really decide on.

ftilt: Lucas > Ness. It's scary fast.

fsmash: Lucas >>>>>> Ness. It's so freakin fast and can still reflect projectiles. I play Lucas vs a friend who plays Ness and my stick always makes it before his bat... it's awesome.

dsmash: Lucas >>>>> Ness... yoyo's kinda weak. Lucas has nice hitboxes on it.

usmash: Lucas >>>>> Ness. His usmash is just insane if you can land it w/out getting punished. Can be just as dangerous to Lucas though if used improperly. Yoyo weak.

rope snake > yoyo: It just has such a cool personality and the yoyo doesn't talk! I do like yoyos though, just not his in smash.

voices/personality/looks: Lucas >>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Ness. Ness is so annoying in smash. His chubby body parts flying in your face and annoying shouts. Seeing his bair and dair is so annoying and looks stupid. Ness' outfits suck except for default and Mr. Saturn. Baseball uniform and bumblebee look so stupid imo. All of Lucas' colors are awesome, and can even be Claus! His red/Christmas color outfits are my favorite.

Mother 2 vs 3 character: Hard to say. Lucas = crybaby but matures greatly and saves the world. Ness has always been strong and saves the world and battles his inner demons (hardest fight in the game too unless you save all bags of dragonite for this fight and unleash it all. total **** >:D)

I like both. I always mained Ness until Brawl came out, and I was planning to main Ness in Brawl as well but then fell in love w/how Lucas controls compared to Ness.

Conclusions: I prefer Lucas. Ness should really be able to use bags of dragonite! They both should not have starstorm, that annoys me. They should have Rockin'/Love instead, since they never knew starstorm in the games. It'd be cool to see the shapes of those two spells flying over the screen rather than meteors (wtf it's supposed to be stars, not meteors). I think Lucas is far more versatile and better overall. Ness has such a beast back throw though and it's so easy to grab with Ness... that scares me. His dair and bair are such awesome kill moves, too. Nothing to be taken lightly. I have experience playing both a lot and I've played both games, so I think my analysis is pretty fair. The only reason I say Lucas is because I prefer to use him over Ness.

They aren't clones by far; they're so different. Saying they are is like saying Ryu and Ken are clones.
People prefer to use Ness over Lucas. All of what you said is wrong

You can't base a characters skill on his personality if that was the case wouldn't the same go for Luigi? He is a coward or wuss. That does not mean he is a bad character that can't fight.
Yes he can base a character skills on his personality. luigi cant fight.
Because Luigi IS better than Mario and Marth IS better than Ike.

Lucas and Ness are next to each other on the tier list, which opens for debate.
Wrong. Luigi is NOT better than Mario. Mario is better than Luigi and Ike is better than Marth. these are facts. ness is better than lucas

Zezz

Smash Rookie
Im not so sure, they both work differently, Lucas` works well but it ussually hits once worth about 20% damage, while if you hit with Ness` it pops them up for more juggling, this way you can rack up damage by keeping them in the air with tailwhipping and all sorts of thunder skills. Plus its faster. Finally Ness` PKT2 is much better (as terms of an attack. Lucas wins for recovery.)
Lucas isn’t faster. Ness wins for recovery and a ness works well

I guess i use Lucas more because i like using new characters, but i love PK thundering smash balls, and Ness's is faster than Lucas's so its easier. So I'm caught between them.
Ness is better
Lucas. He's a lot less predictable, has an insane Usmash, and he's AMERICAN. Which is odd, considering Ness is the more japanese one, yet his game was here, yet Lucas is more American, and his game has yet to see american soil.
Bull. Ness is American. He’s not Japanese.
I prefer lucas personaly
ness is better
Youll be able to get a grab or some kind of hit in when you them with it. Everything eles you said is right though. I still prefer Ness` for its after effect though.It sets up grabs and against heavy opponents you can pk fire->pk fire->pk fire-> dtilt a bit-> grab-> pummel opponent while they are getting hit by fire-> Bthrow. however Lucas` is very good. Its better then Ness` in terms of range and it will hit much more.

But dont forget Ness` advanced PK Fire techniques to help Ness out.
Wrong. Ness is better. Ness is better than Lucas with range and it will hit more
Apparently Ness has gotten better tournament results, but still, I'd take Lucas. I like his attacks better.
ness attacks better
Ness is a better fighter but Lucas has better properties (aside from that stupid 0 death release grab from Marth...)
ness has better properties
Like Ness better but sooo much Better with Lucas...Prefer Lucas' moveset and ATs
lucas sucks. Ness is better with move set and ATs
And by recovery I hope you include distance and Lucas's thunder ability to go through anyone in your way.

Also, I say Lucas's recovery in general is better.
You know PK WEEEEEEEEEEEE (The PK Fire to Magnet glitch)?
That's one for Lucas.
Also, his rope Snake grabs ledges.
That's two.
PK Thunder makes four.
And since PK Thunder is slow and travels in small circles, it's easier to correct a mistake you made (like totally missing yourself).
With Ness, make one mistake and you're gone.
Wrong. Ness recovery is better and lucas’s snake doesn’t grab ledges and Ness pk thunder is better. PK thunder isn’t slow. Ness doesn’t make mistakes with pk thunder
Ness's pk fire is slower, hindered by any uneven ground, decreases in range in the air, is less safe to use, fails at trapping competent opponents (SDI gets out after 1, maybe 2 hits, and they have enough time to hit you while you're still lagging, even if it connected), and is in the wrong place to cancel other projectiles.

Lucas's pk fire is faster, is hindered only by massively uneven ground which doesn't exist in competitive play, is safer to use because of wavebouncing, does more damage to the competent opponent, is in the right place to cancel projectiles (such as missiles and even the majority of a needle storm), and works in tandem with the magnet pull to assist Lucas's recovery.

The only thing that I can think of that Ness's pk fire has over lucas's is the PK fire to spike combo. for edgeguarding.
you’re a Lucas tard. Ness pk fire is way faster and it isn’t hindered by uneven ground and it doesn’t decrease in range and it is more safe to use and it doesn’t fail at trapping competent opponents and it isn’t the wrong place to cancel other projectiles. Lucas doesn’t have ****. He doesn’t do more damage with pk fire and uneven ground DOES exist in competitive play it’s unsafe to use and there is no wave bouncing it set the right place to cancel projectiles and it doesn’t work in tandem with the magnet pull to assist lucas’s recovery

Lucas has momentum tricks that can be used to recover. Zap jump, wavezap, Wavezap to magnetpull, and magnet pull. He also has the tether.

then he has his normal recovery like Ness.
no he doesn’t,

That's not really a big plus for Ness. Lucas instantly turns around if a projectiles about to hit him from the back.

My personal opinion is that lucas is the better of the two, but I'm a lucas main so my opinion will be kind of bias.

Honestly, this is kind of like comparing DK to bowser. They don't really have THAT much in common (fighting-style wise)
Ness is better from the two
There are more instances in Mother 3 than Mother 2 where you can walk around with your pajamas on and with messy hair.

.'. Lucas wins. (Yes, I used the "therefore" symbol. Deal with it.)
No he doesn’t. Ness wins
Happened to me.
I like RECENTLY picked up Lucas, and found him unexpectedly good.
I never found myself getting more kills, but I like his style.

When playing an online match the other day, I found out something.
Either this guy was a n00b, or I was just good.
Dude grabbed a hammer and started towards me.
I grabbed him immediately and started wailing on him.
Before he could get in another hit, I grabbed him again and continued the PWNage.
He basically wasted that whole hammer because he couldn't get away, or hit me.
It was really awesome.
Of course, PK Fire works, but I think the "GET OVER HERE" aspect is way cooler.

Lucas has surprise spikes (dair is weak, but nobody really expects it).
Bair is just wicked when it's landed, and so is Ness's (STAY THE HECK DOWN THERE).
I think I like Lucas's attack chains, but Ness's are pretty cool too.

If you want up close and personal, pick Ness.
But if you want the surprises and space, Lucas is your answer.

Alternate for better matchups.
They're both insane when used correctly, but there are good and bad matchups for both.
Knowing who to pick in certain situations could be crucial to your game.

And Hexagons rock.
But so do sweetspots :urg:
ness moves are way better and suprises and spaces are better for ness.
EDIT: Sora master, Lucas's Down and Up smash also hit on both sides.
Lucas sucks. That’s a big plus for ness. Lucas doesn’t turn around if a projectile is about to hit him from the back
As a DeDeDe mainer, Lucas players give me a headache, whereas Ness is no competition. Therefore, I guess I prefer Ness. :p Lucas' spammy PK Thunder is too good; it can hit you multiple times whereas Ness's stops after one hit.

But to play, I'd prefer Lucas.
Ness is better. Lucas pk thunder isn’t good and it can’t hit you multiple times.

It DOES hit on both sides. The hitbox is very small, but it exists :/

Hey guys, Apples or Oranges? Apples are better up close and is best played aggressively with its hard inners while Oranges should consern themselves with spacing due to there citrus juice.

Verdict: Lots of fruits here like both and there isn't much of a clear better.
It doesn’t hit both
Actually, Lucas has had a better run at tournaments, Ness has better properties (weight, aerial manuverability), and lucas is better overall.
Ness has a better run at tournaments, ness is better overall.
Ness is actually one of my least used characters in Brawl. Lucas works better for me, though I am curious; does anyone follow the PK Freeze for continued damage to a frozen opponent? It seems to me that the enemy always breaks out before I can get to them.
Lucas sucks.

I like how ness' PK fire shoots diagonal and spikes with his Dair but Lucas is by far better
Ness is by far better

Ness is NOT Japanese and he wasn’t talking about the voice actors. Ness is American. Ness is better in every possible way and all Lucas fanboys are wrong
KiKi52, he's talking about their voice actors. Lucas' is American, whilst Ness' is Japanese, ironically.

LightKnight

Smash Journeyman
Lucas. Originally started liking the character because of his up-smash during Brawl days. Now in Ultimate I love his neutral special freezing move. I also prefer the side-special, back-air, forward-air, and neutral-air (plz buff that one though :lol:).
There are some moves of Ness that I prefer but that character as a whole I don't care for, haha.

Doc Monocle

Smash Ace
Ness is my preference. Sure, more precise timing is required, Lucas is faster in most attacks, PK Thunder makes for an easily gimped recovery, and attacks are overall more difficult to land, but Ness somehow possessed a certain quality to his attacks which made them feel more satisfying when successfully connected. I prefer his stronger, more audibly, and more visually pleasing side smash to Lucas', despite the fact that the latter more easily finds opportunities to exploit. Perhaps the most noteworthy advantage Ness has over Lucas is his generally more efficient defensive options. Lucas has, for the most part, quicker, harder hitting strikes with longer lasting hit windows that are better suited for offensive play, and slightly more range overall, but defensively, he easily makes frequent use of inefficient tools for stopping an opponent's momentum, as his PK powered attacks are often 'overkill' for a situation that only needs a swift strike, as provided by Ness' moveset.

In a nutshell, Ness more favorably handles methodically aggressive opponents, while Lucas more favorably handles situations where every moment must count. Thus, the objective of a Ness main is to avoid pressure and seek a neutral state of battle, and the objective of a Lucas main is to negotiate pressure without giving the opponent a chance to brace for your attack or prepare their own.

Top Bottom