• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Lucas or Ness?

Finding Waldo

Smash Apprentice
Concerning the two children from EarthBound, who do you prefer, and why?

I am going to go ahead and say that I am a Lucas fan, due to his U-Smash and the ability for his PK Thunder to pass through opponents, and his PSI Magnet having a strong attack strength with it. I find it humorous to hold out his PSI Magnet and have people run through it expecting a free hit, only to be sent flying off the screen.:laugh:

smashbro29

Smash Champion
NNID
Smashbro29
3DS FC
2724-0750-5127
Well it all depends on playstyle I suppose but I gotta be honest I only play those 2 in SSE so Lucas is better for that

The Real Inferno

Smash Hero
I like Lucas, but I am lightyears better at the game with Ness. I just find Ness so familiar I guess after playing him since 64. Still, if I were to pick which one is -better- I would definitely say it is Lucas.

Sosuke

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
8132-9932-4710
Idk they both have their own cheap methods. Lucas I guess.

peeup

Smash Lord
Lucas has wavebouncing, PK Jumping, a better PKThunder2, a tether grab a better neutral B, better upsmash, nair, dair, tilts, and he doesn't make your ears bleed whenever he uses a special...

Even so, I like Ness better, I like his fair, bair, and PKFire better.

Zenthewanderer

Smash Apprentice
Gotta go with Lucas. I like his specials much more and his personality. Ness is a little too generic in terms of personality- not a big deal, but he's just sort of a little hero without much to make him unique. It was the same in Earthbound, yep I own it for the Snes.

For what its worth, I also prefer the attributes of Lucas's Final Smash. Ness's may go faster, but they're too few of them to work with.

JacobWins

Smash Journeyman
pk fire to fsmash XD

he has and ''easy to hit with'' spike and VERY useful aerials

Bair is like CF's knee
Fair is good dmg buildup
Uair has good knockback
Dair is a spike

SirKibble

Smash Champion
Bat > Twig
Pillar of Flaming Death > Fire Puff
Yo-Yo > Ultra Lag Blast o' Lagarrific Psychic Doom and Lag
PK Kaboom > PK Snowflake

Yeah, I'm a Ness fan...

Finding Waldo

Smash Apprentice
I do like the bumblebee costume of Ness and his PK Fire, but Lucas is better for most other things. One thing in particular... have you ever followed a recovering Ness off the edge and intercepted his PK Thunder?

JacobWins

Smash Journeyman
I do like the bumblebee costume of Ness and his PK Fire, but Lucas is better for most other things. One thing in particular... have you ever followed a recovering Ness off the edge and intercepted his PK Thunder?
sometimes when they try that, they end up being too slow and getting nailed by the rocket

PKSkyler

Smash Lord
Why does everyone make these topics? the two MOTHER kids would rather be friends then fight.

But Ness.

Giga Wario

Smash Journeyman
Lucas is better than Ness in almost every way:
Speed (running)
Attack Power
GRAB Range
Grab Power
Recovery
Control
Actual personality
Non Laggy Kill Moves (sidesmash, PSI magnet etc)
Voice Actress

Heck, the only two areas that Ness is better than Lucas in gameplay wise are comboing ability and sise of PSI Magnet.

Personally, I like Ness better though, as he IS one of the original 12...

orochijes

Smash Journeyman
Lucas is all around a better character.
So of course I choose to play as Ness. "Okay"

Sosuke

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
8132-9932-4710
Lucas is all around a better character.
So of course I choose to play as Ness. "Okay"
You just had to ruin the simple discussion.
Here comes the arguing.
*unsubscribes from this thread*

the Lexx

Smash Apprentice
Ness actually has approaches that work and a decent air game. He's not better by much though, Lucas has his strengths.

PKSkyler

Smash Lord
Speed (running)=Woo hoo. Its such a small advantage
Attack Power= how about Attack speed?
GRAB Range=And Grab lag
Grab Power=ARE you kidding? Ness`Bthrow is the strongest throw in the game. Dthrow combos well, uthrow pops in the air for pkt comboing/aerial chase, and fthrow can help lead to spikes.
Recovery=Yeah, Lucas` is better, but Ness` PKT2 is a better move as an attack
Control=Dont understand what you mean. They both have a learning curve, I guess, but I control Ness well.Lucas is wayy easier to learn though
Actual personality=Lucas is a wimp.He saves the world though. Ness saves the world and faces his inner demons. I guess this is debatable since Lucas lost his mother and brother.
Non Laggy Kill Moves (sidesmash, PSI magnet etc)=Side smash and PKF is it. PSIM can be lag cancelled, and Lucas` upsmash and won smash have bad lag, much more than Ness`. Lucas` aerials get beat out by Ness`
Voice Actress="Okay?"

Heck, the only two areas that Ness is better than Lucas in gameplay wise are comboing ability and sise of PSI Magnet.
Wrong
Personally, I like Ness better though, as he IS one of the original 12...Agreed
my responses in red.

Zevox

Smash Lord
Lucas for me. I main him, but I've never played Ness much. I just don't like how Ness works, particularly with his PK Fire changing angles when he's in the air. Liking Lucas came as a complete surprise to me as a result - he has all the (few) things I did like about Ness, and replaces nearly all the things I didn't like with ones I do. The psi-hexagon based attacks seem to synch with me so much better than Ness' more basic physical attacks and few psi-sphere attacks ever did. I also love the changes to PK Thunder - more easily controlled, can pass through foes, and PK Thunder Missile is longer-range - and Psi Magnet being usable as an attack is quite the blessing, especially since it sacrifices nothing in exchange for that ability. And of course, his PK Fire is much more intuitive of a projectile than Ness' version.

So, yeah, I like Lucas.

Zevox

prescot222

Smash Rookie
I prefer Lucas over Ness..
Almost all of Lucas's attacks have a lightening charge involved and seem to do more damage than Ness's plain melee attacks..

But that's just my opinion

Veggi

Smash Champion
I like Ness more, I just sort of like his Yo-yo and he's less annoying than Lucas, as well as having a PK PH1R3 I like more, I don't like either of the characters alot though.

KoJ

Smash Journeyman
Speed (running)
Not important for Ness. Ness uses aerials, Hyphen Smash, and dash attack to approach without getting too close.

Attack Power
Yeah.

GRAB Range
Yeah. Too bad Ness wins in the throw department.

Grab Power
Hell no. Ness's backthrow is the strongest in the game.

Yes.

Opinion.

Actual personality
Neither of them can claim this.

Non Laggy Kill Moves (sidesmash, PSI magnet etc)
Laughable. Bair can easily KO. PSI magnet? No.

Voice Actress
Opinion. I find "PK PIYAH!" hilarious. Same with "PK STAAAAH-STOOOOOOOM!!!"

Did you just ignore spiking ability, superior air game in general, Yoyo charge up, and the back throw? Shame on you.

Sygmus

Smash Cadet
I'm better with Ness because I've been playing him since 64. Plus I much prefer the yo-yo over Lucas's laggy moves. If I wanted a slow powerful character I'd rather choose Ike. Also, I like all of Ness's arials better.

Finding Waldo

Smash Apprentice
Of course, I have also played as Ness since the 64, and initially liked him better, but I am not a fan of the yo-yo. I cannot use that thing efficiently. I am not sure where the hexagons came from with Lucas, since I never played the original game, but I like them for the most part.

Laughable. Bair can easily KO. PSI magnet? No.
I actually find the PSI magnet quite useful as an attack. It has much more strength than I thought it would, and makes the same sound effect as Zelda and Ness's B-air. It is one of my KO moves for Lucas.

As for his U-smash, true, it is laggy, sometimes you can make someone run into it, and then they are Toasty Oats.

However, those "Extendy Grabs" seem to hinder more than help, and I would prefer to have a normal one over those.

Brinzy

Godfather of the Crimean Mafia
NNID
Brinzy
I was going back and forward between the two for a while.

One day, I woke up and kicked Lucas out of my life.

Ness.

~Peachy~

Creator of delicious desserts
♥I really like Lucas better. But some days, I say I like Ness more. ;)

deepseadiva

Bodybuilding Magical Girl
3DS FC
1779-0766-2622
There’s a character named Ness who has appeared in the Smash Bros. series up until now, and Lucas is very similar. They are from the same family of PK users.

Yes I'm Still Holding Grudges

PKSkyler

Smash Lord

Yes I'm Still Holding Grudges

What, you WANTED Ness to not be in brawl? I was seriously discouraged that he said that (since Ness is just sooo awesome, earthbounds my fav RPG, etc. etc.) but hes in....so I guess I can forgive Sakurai for all that time making me think "Brawls gonna suck, if only for the fact they kicked out Ness...."

Top Bottom