• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Luigi is so braindead

Status
Not open for further replies.

starfoxsupreme

Smash Rookie
Idk how you guys can get around to maining luigi. He's so freakin easy with those cookie cutter combos. He can gimp many of the characters, and never gets combo'd because of his absurd neutral air. He needs a nerf more than sheik because at least using sheik isn't all that easy and you have to be a little more creative. Luigi is so dumb.

starfoxsupreme

Smash Rookie
Well, you didn't deny that Luigi was stupidly easy to use so I have to assume you agree. I'll take that...

Pyr

Smash Lord
Luigi is easier to use the lower you and your comp's skill level is, so its no problem to see why you think that. Fundamentals and all that.

Ndzablou

Smash Cadet
NNID
ndzablou
In general both Mario and Luigi are easy characters to pick up and play, they were most likely designed like that, both character are usually well rounded with them not having to many weaknesses, while also not having to many defining strengths. The only thing really different between Mario and Luigi is Luigi has a stronger air game, but lacks in mobility and doesn't have many good approach options.
Now to address some "issues" you have with Luigi.
While true Luigi has a strong combo game after a down throw, so does many other characters such as Ness, Mario, and Lucas to name a few, it's not a rarity to find a character who has combos out of a throw, and as with many characters, with good DI Luigi shouldn't be able to hit you with multiple aerials after low to low-mid percents.
Luigi also isn't the only one with a fast natural air that can break combos, both Mario, and Ness (and probably and few others) have fast neutral airs that come out on the same frame as Luigi's neutral air, unlike Ness, Luigi's neutral air lasts pretty long and is not safe on shield, so if the Luigi always nairs and becomes predictable you can easly shield and then get a free grab.
As for Luigi's ability to gimp characters I am going to guess that you are referring to Luigi's cyclone gimp, other than many other characters having good gimping ability, to perform the cyclone gimp consistently you have to be able to do the jumpless cyclone which requires you to press the b button around 14 times pre second, which is a feat many Luigi players have trouble with, the only Luigi's I know of that can do the jumpless cyclone other than myself, are Mr.ConCon, and Boss (both of which are exceptional players helping advance the Luigi meta, and are not really a good players to say all Luigi mains can get these results, sense they are by far some of if not the best Smash 4 Luigi players there is).

Though many people see Luigi as top 3, and have trouble against Luigi, I personally feel that Luigi is top 15 at the highest, due to Luigi having some very hard MUs as well as having very exploitable weaknesses. Luigi has a very hard time against players that know how to play against Luigi, Luigi's lack of mobility as well as a lack of good approach options and very linear recovery, becomes very exploitable and gives Luigi a hard time. As the meta advances more people will start to exploit Luigi's weaknesses, making it harder for Luigi to get a grab thus making it harder for Luigi to rack up damage quickly, and then I feel Luigi will get a more appropriate tier ranking of top 15 and not top 3.

starfoxsupreme

Smash Rookie
@ Pyr Pyr well, I wouldn't consider myself great at smash 4 right now, but I would certainly consider Megafox great. I guarantee he's a much better player than you and he holds the same sentiments on Luigi in that he is a very cookie cutter character. So calling me out on fundamentals make no sense when one of the best smash 4 players in the country believes the same thing.
@ Ndzablou Ndzablou I appreciate that you made a well thought out response to my immature post, but I still can't agree that he's no better than top 15. He has to be top 5 as he a pretty good camping game with fireballs, probably the best combo game, and a good recovery. While his recovery is gimpable, only a handful of viable characters can do anything about it, like Sheik and Ness.

Last edited:

starfoxsupreme

Smash Rookie
Ok then. That would mean your assumption that I'm a scrub isn't necessarily true. Nice going. You could just admit your character is braindead as hell

JohnnyB

Smash Journeyman
Exploit luigis lack of traction, exploit his recovery, don't rely on combos that aren't guranteed. I notice that a lot of luigis (on fg at least) like to spotdodge a lot due to many moves being safe against his shield due to that traction issue, this is very punishable with lasting hitboxes. And if he does shield who cares? It's very hard for luigi to punish on shield, effectively nerfing the extremely good shields thst are available to every other characters in the game.

If luigi is soooo cookie cutter and predictable then you should have no problem reading and punishing him.

starfoxsupreme

Smash Rookie
The fact that there's no real way to get out of his grab combos is frustrating. That's what I was referring to with "cookiecutter". Ok, at low percents, you DI towards Luigi to avoid the double f-air. A good luigi will see that immediately and hit you with an up air, dair, or nair. His nair breaks combos better than anything else in the game. You really can't exploit his recovery with many characters, as I said. His traction is a down side, I will admit that. His jab is stupidly good. 3 hit should not be 10%. The lunge on the third hit of the jab combo is quite far. His f-air does 9% each, and that's just absurd. His n-air can KO. He has two spikes, three if you count the taunt. He is pretty floaty which only makes it more difficult to combo him. His upsmash has armor and is amazing at punishing landings. His down smash has so little lag it doesn't make sense. His f smash is very powerful as well. Literally his only move that is not good is his dash attack, which I've still seen used by good Luigi's. Yes, Luigi has a hard time against Sheik and Rosalina, but he does so, so well against the rest of the cast, it's crazy. In concept, punishing a Luigi seems easy, but it's really not as he has many safe moves. The fact that he can throw out so many f-airs in a single full hop is dumb. His down-b can kill off the top at 80%. His down throw to b-air kills at around 90%, depending on weight and stage position, of course. He has a kill throw. He also has one of the best projectiles in the game.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom