• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Luigi matchup

FrenkM0J0

Smash Apprentice
Yo, I was just looking around the board but I didn't spot a good guide with a few tips on the luigi matchup. I really like falcon's combo's (who doesn't), but the problem against luigi is that he can break a lot of setups off with nair. Does anyone have tips on how to string together moves anyways, or should I just accept that my combo's aren't the way to go against luigi?

タオー

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
3540-1146-8863
Luigi
This is a MU that requires tons of patience. His nair can stuff most of your combos so you usually want to get in a good hit and get to safety. To counter, his tech chases and combos can wreck you so make like an Isai and don't get hit. Edgeguarding him isn't too difficult but a good Luigi won't just give away his stock. This is a winning match up, you just can't expect to get tons of crazy combos like on some other floaties.Neutral Game:

• Space your uair's to tip (jump straight up/slightly back) to avoid trading with Luigi's nair
  • nair-> uair-> GTFO
  • fB-> uair -> GTFO
  • if you can, replace uair with knee when it fits
  • This is where your speed shines, maximizing your dashes, l-cancels and FF will allow you to get away with more combos
  • Falcon has a decent advantage against most of Luigi's aerials (except nair, but it has a small hitbox)
  • Space with nair
  • Luigi's priority will punch through bair/dair so make an effort to outrange with uair/nair-> knee
  • knee Luigi out of WD
Offense:
  • dthrow-> knee isn't guaranteed but a low risk/high reward combo at KO %
  • dthrow-> nair if they don't SDI
  • uair chains work well off-stage
  • uncharged fB recovery above stage-> knee (below-> uair)
  • Stomp fB recovery
  • Shield fB usually lets you punish his lag
  • Luigi's recovery (fB, dB to gain height/stall, DJ, uB)
  • Watch out for DJ fair when edgeguarding
  • Careful shield grabbing as Luigi's low traction causes him to keep moving after attacks
  • dthrow-> aerial/tech chase is a staple in this MU
Defense:
  • DI behind Luigi when he's grounded (or smashes down away to avoid tech chase)
  • Di away Luigi's aerials (except fair)
  • Keep an eye out for WD ftilt
  • Try to space yourself 1/2 a WD length away from Luigi due to lag from startup frames of WD
  • Punish Luigi's rising aerials with shield-> OoS aerial
  • Punish Luigi's dB OoS-> stomp-> knee or WD OoS-> stomp->knee
  • Watch for WD uSmash/dSmash (uSmash can beat aerials, dSmash wont)
  • Watch out for Luigi's exceptional tech chase (mix up tech... duh)

This isn't perfect, but it's something you can use

M-Tude

Smash Cadet
I practice against a Luigi a lot, and I think that combing him is hard, but not as bad as people think. Comboing him just requires a lot of baits. You can do U-throw or D-throw into things, and a lot of the time its pretty guaranteed that you'll get something from it. Uair just space at the tippy-toes so that it doesn't trade as much, but if you're afraid of that then just SH or FJ next to luigi and do a late aerial after baiting out a Nair.

Watch out for Luigi's CC game, edge-guard game, and his tech-chase game. all three are very deadly to Falcon.
-He can CC most things very well up to 40% or 50% into grab, Dsmash, or something else. (He can even CC knee up to pretty high percents!! He will never punish you for a CC stomp though, I'm pretty sure you can grab if he's in stun.)
-Whenever you get hit onto a platform, either tech in place or tech roll in. Most good luigi's will be able to cover tech rolls easily since Luigi can just float in the air waiting, so if you tech outward you'll get Daired/Faired off stage and that's really bad.
-I recommend recovering high and fading in or out of the stage. If he hits you again, just DI up and keep recovering high. If he gets you below the ledge, almost nothing can save you from getting Faired/Daired, so avoid falling beneath the stage if you can.

To edge-guard Luigi's Up-B, CC at the ledge and D-tilt after Luigi takes a coin from you. D-tilt to knee or other punish is usually pretty given.
To edge-guard Luigi coming back to the stage from far off, just go out and hit him when he is in the lag of his green missile.

DI Luigi's throws, U-smash, and U-tilt behind him to avoid punishes better.

Last edited:

MurphyPrime

Smash Journeyman
Can confirm as a Luigi main that this stuff works. Luigi has some very quick aerials so you have to be careful if you are going in on Luigi. Spacing is so crucial in this matchup in my opinion, and Luigi has a potentially nasty punish on Falcon if Luigi starts a combo. People seem scared of the nair, which they shouldn't be. Just string together a couple of hits and then let Luigi react. He will likely nair, especially if he is high with no jump. Just wait, since Luigi is absolute garbage at getting back down to the stage. To me, hardly any body goes out far off of the edge to edge guard luigi. The only risk is a misfire, and that can be avoided by just waiting until you see it's regular, and just jumping out and knee or up air.

M-Tude

Smash Cadet
Also, Luigi's DownB on shield is very punishable. If he hit only the first hit on shield, WD OoS and hit his ending lag. If he hits the final hitbox on shield, you can SH knee or Bair (maybe immediate stomp) him depending on which way you are facing.

Be very careful about shield grabbing Luigi. If he does a SH aerial, you cannot shield grab it immediately, he will be out of reach, and he will come down with a second aerial and **** you. I would recommend Immediate Uair, roll, or just wait for him to come down

Top Bottom