• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

luigi or mario

Locuan

D&D Obsessed
BRoomer
Well I'll link to a thread that kinda had a debate of the two characters (you have to read all the posts to get a good idea)

http://smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=170721

Anyways, in my personal opinion, I prefer Luigi because of these reasons.

Better recovery
Outprioritizing moves (aerials primarily)

The only thing I like more about Mario is that he has a more solid meteor smash which in my case I love spiking/meteor smashing.

It really depends on personal opinion though:

-If you like characters that are heavier or floatier
-If you like characters with and off stage edge guarding game or not.

You have to also check in there differences in projectiles and special moves etc.

My advice to you is that just play both characters and you will know who to use because that character will merge more with your play style.

Eten

Smash Ace
Luigi.
Faster moves, aerials, more priority, more KO power, better recovery, better combos, better approach options. Mario may have better edgeguarding.

WIGI

Smash Champion
hmm.. whats more humiliating.. being kileld by a flaming f-smash, or being brutaly destroyed by a taunt. i rest my case.

that ANNNNND Luigi outpriotritzes mario in the air, 0-lag nair, up+b is an amazing killer, recover is redicoulsy better, i prefer hsi smash attacks aswell. and green missle /missfire is awsome.

A2ZOMG

Smash Legend
NNID
A2ZOMG
Switch FC
SW 8400 1713 9427
Luigi.
Faster moves, aerials, more priority, more KO power, better recovery, better combos, better approach options. Mario may have better edgeguarding.
Luigi is neither faster at attacking nor better at comboing and his approach options are worse than Mario's.

Also Luigi is like...much much easier to outcamp.

He's slightly better than Mario because he has some more priority and some better kill options, but that's it.

Mario however competes due to having better projectiles and MUCH better ledgeguarding (Luigi's ledgeguard game is terrible. Try ledgeguarding space animals or Ike with Luigi, and it's hard as hell. Very easy with Mario with a well placed FLUDD, or even a ledgestalled Cape.). He's also faster moving than Luigi in almost every way.

Eten

Smash Ace
That's so wrong. I'm not sure how you can even say that. Luigi's aerials are blazingly fast, and his smash moves are equivalently fast or faster than Mario's... Simply, every single move of Luigi's is either as fast or faster than Mario's. EVERY SINGLE ONE.

Same thing with his approach options, what mario has doesn't compare to the variety of a full set of Luigi's short hop aerials, tornado, Luigi is tit for tat with using fireballs, and he downright has better range on frequently used moves like the Bair.

It's far, far, from just being because of "some" better priority and better kill options. It's quite common to end up w/ 60% damage string/combo on anyone heavy from a short hop aerial approach- something like fair to nair to uptilt, uptilt, uair, whatever aerial, etc. It's very flexible.

SparkEd

Smash Journeyman
I suppose choosing Mario or Luigi is purely based on their play styles. As much as they are different, it's what kind of style you prefer to play as. Luigi's play is mostly ON the field. Fast aerials, Ridiculous Smashes and the Fire Jump Punch. He's more suited to dishing it out and racking up damage so high there isn't a need to edgeguard when he delivers the final blow. Mario, however, relies more on defensive tactics with the Cape and FLUDD and has much better edgeguard skills. He gives up a sizable amount of power Luigi has in his moves, but to bring the fight off stage where Mario has the upper hand thanks to awesome edgeguarding. Remember also that Luigi is slightly floatier than Mario, so he's more of an aerial fighter.

In short, IMO the play styles of Mario and Luigi are very different. Mario is more defensive and agile, Luigi is more offensive and floatier. You could play as another, but just remember the tactics for one Bro likely won't work for the other.

It's whoever fits your playstyle most. Go play as either and see how you do.

Nodrak

Smash Ace
This is a Luigi character thread. End of discussion.
Yeah, no offense but it wasn't the smartest choice to come to the Luigi boards looking for an unbiased opinion on who's the better character.

If you want to compare though;
Luigi's Tornado > Mario's Flood
Luigi's fair > Mario's fair (I have yet to see Mario land a hit with it)
Luigi's recovery > Mario's recovery (Luigi has downb, sideb and upb to help, Mario has upb and maybe sideb. downB only if he's in the top corner of the stage)

Both Luigi and Mario got changed from Melee to Brawl but I think Mario got the short end of the stick in the transition.

Matador

Maybe Even...Utopian?
Yeah, no offense but it wasn't the smartest choice to come to the Luigi boards looking for an unbiased opinion on who's the better character.

If you want to compare though;
Luigi's Tornado > Mario's Flood
Luigi's fair > Mario's fair (I have yet to see Mario land a hit with it)
Luigi's recovery > Mario's recovery (Luigi has downb, sideb and upb to help, Mario has upb and maybe sideb. downB only if he's in the top corner of the stage)

Both Luigi and Mario got changed from Melee to Brawl but I think Mario got the short end of the stick in the transition.
Aside from the recovery part, this is opinion based. Mario and Luigi have always been down to preference because their playstyles are so alike. Luigi has more KO power than mario, but that's basically it. You may argue that his recovery covers much more ground than Mario's, but it's terribly easy to gimp, whereas Mario's is shorter, but is protected by fireballs, cape, and an upB that spikes. You might also argue that he can combo better because of his epic nair and utilt, but Mario has an equally epic utilt and fireballs/aerial mobility for approach. Mario is also a far superior edgeguarder with his cape used in conjunction with the Fludd. If you weigh their pros and cons, you'll see that they're pretty much equal. Whomever fits your playstyle best decides who's the better character.

A2ZOMG

Smash Legend
NNID
A2ZOMG
Switch FC
SW 8400 1713 9427
That's so wrong. I'm not sure how you can even say that. Luigi's aerials are blazingly fast, and his smash moves are equivalently fast or faster than Mario's... Simply, every single move of Luigi's is either as fast or faster than Mario's. EVERY SINGLE ONE.
Mario's aerials are all equally as fast as Luigi's. Luigi 's D-air is about the same speed as Mario's F-air, but Mario's is MUCH easier to land by far as a meteor (not kidding, Mario's F-air got significantly faster from Melee). Mario's D-air however is more like the speed of Luigi's F-air, and they both have pretty huge priority.

Both have EXTREMELY fast aerials. They are about exactly the same speed here.

Same thing with his approach options, what mario has doesn't compare to the variety of a full set of Luigi's short hop aerials, tornado, Luigi is tit for tat with using fireballs, and he downright has better range on frequently used moves like the Bair.
Luigi has only ONE approach option that is remotely better than anything Mario might have, and it's the Cyclone, but the problem is if you space it badly it is not always safe due to the significant ending lag. Mario on the other hand has significantly better projectiles, and a better aerial mobility. Mario has tools like the Cape and FLUDD. Mario can use the Cape to space himself properly before using aerials, or he can use the FLUDD to mess up his opponent's spacing, whereas Luigi's aerial mobility is just horrible.

Yeah Luigi I guess has a bit more range and priority on stuff, but it doesn't really change how he's much slower without using the Tornado. Not to mention his projectiles are still full of suck due to the ridiculously short range and bad trajectory, and the fact he generally has more trouble dealing with other projectiles due to being slower and not having a cape.

It's far, far, from just being because of "some" better priority and better kill options. It's quite common to end up w/ 60% damage string/combo on anyone heavy from a short hop aerial approach- something like fair to nair to uptilt, uptilt, uair, whatever aerial, etc. It's very flexible.
Mario can do pretty much the same 60% strings Luigi can because he has good setups and insane follow up speed. Just in case you didn't know. In fact they don't really work anyway for either Mario or Luigi (except for maybe hitting your opponent twice with a U-tilt) if the opponent knows how to air dodge, so whatever.

I still give the nod to Luigi for his superior kill options like the Fire Jump Punch and N-air. However Mario clearly does a lot better against characters like space animals compared to Luigi because his focus is not so much inferior as it is different from Luigi's. Luigi still kinda sucks at ledgeguarding, while Mario is still pretty good at ledgeguarding in Brawl.

Eten

Smash Ace
The aerials aren't equally as fast if both Fair and Dair are slower, and you have to consider the landing lag, where as combinations of luigi's double aerials with the dair and fair can even autocancel. It's a considerable difference. Even then, I mean, if we want to say we're throwing in an unbiased view here, we can note how you started off with saying that Mario was faster, and rescinded that view and now at least say that they are exactly the same speed, which still isn't true.

Same with better aerial mobility. I don't see Luigi's projectiles being any less useful than Mario's, they serve the same important functions in no diminished way in the same match-ups that Mario's needs his(thinking vs. Ike, etc.). Or how he's slower in anything but normal falling speed, tornado or not.

And Luigi is often used as a good example as a character who does very well against projectile spamming characters, because his priority can cancel out a lot of projectiles(he can fair swat a super missile out of the air or anything less than that or with dair, bair, and nair too, tornado clang up to a mid-sized aura ball, and fast aerials make it very easy to catch and return all sorts of explosives).

And even if Mario plays differently to the space animals than Luigi, I'd still call that simply different, because Luigi does not do bad at all to the spacies. Even if mario excelled at match-ups against the spacies, I'd take Luigi over Mario in every other match up. That just says Luigi > Mario.

Ace83

Smash Journeyman
luigi owns mario. i certainly don't see how you get off saying that mario's fair is the same speed as luigi's dair either.

A2ZOMG

Smash Legend
NNID
A2ZOMG
Switch FC
SW 8400 1713 9427
The aerials aren't equally as fast if both Fair and Dair are slower, and you have to consider the landing lag, where as combinations of luigi's double aerials with the dair and fair can even autocancel. It's a considerable difference. Even then, I mean, if we want to say we're throwing in an unbiased view here, we can note how you started off with saying that Mario was faster, and rescinded that view and now at least say that they are exactly the same speed, which still isn't true.
Wait what?

Maybe I stated something weirdly, but Luigi is definitely not any faster at pulling out aerials than Mario. They pull out aerials at essentially the same speed....at least that is what I thought I was saying. If I was saying Mario was faster, it is definitely in terms of mobility.

Mario can also pull out double SHed aerials like Luigi and he can autocancel most of his aerials minus the F-air, which needs to be full hopped, but honestly I don't see why that really matters when you already have good enough with N-airs, U-airs, B-airs, and D-airs on both characters (I honestly don't see why Luigi's D-air is that useful, but you can fill me in there. I just find the hitbox window much too narrow to connect with reasonably, and the attack comes out slower than I'd like it to.).

Personally me I really do not like Luigi's slow aerial movement. He's slow moving horizontally, and has slow falling speed. This means extra care must be taken to properly time when you execute his aerials unless his opponent happens to be really tall.

Same with better aerial mobility. I don't see Luigi's projectiles being any less useful than Mario's, they serve the same important functions in no diminished way in the same match-ups that Mario's needs his(thinking vs. Ike, etc.). Or how he's slower in anything but normal falling speed, tornado or not.
Luigi's projectiles don't go as far and have much worse trajectory, so he benefits a lot less from SHing Fireballs. You SH a Fireball, and most characters will walk right under it. If you use Fireballs on the ground, you suffer a lot from lag. Mario NEVER has this problem.

And Luigi is often used as a good example as a character who does very well against projectile spamming characters, because his priority can cancel out a lot of projectiles(he can fair swat a super missile out of the air or anything less than that or with dair, bair, and nair too, tornado clang up to a mid-sized aura ball, and fast aerials make it very easy to catch and return all sorts of explosives).
True enough. It's not like Mario doesn't have his share of attacks that can do this too though since most projectiles inherently have bad priority (except for a few), and he still has it easier by caping and spamming back with projectiles, and also he moves a lot faster. Luigi moves really slowly in the air, so if he's forced to get up close, it's easier to react to his approaches. Also while the Tornado is useful, it has bad ending lag, much like in Melee.

And even if Mario plays differently to the space animals than Luigi, I'd still call that simply different, because Luigi does not do bad at all to the spacies. Even if mario excelled at match-ups against the spacies, I'd take Luigi over Mario in every other match up. That just says Luigi > Mario.
Bleh, you don't seem to like to think that I think Luigi is better than Mario.

I've always maintained that position, but I guess what I'm going for that Luigi is not by any means an entire tier better than Mario.

Matador

Maybe Even...Utopian?

Mario's aerials can also autocancel. Without the tornado, Luigi's ground speed or aerial mobility aren't as fast as Mario's due to traction and Luigi being floaty. Mario's Nair, Uair, Bair, and Dair come out just as fast as Luigi's as well. So aside from fair, Mario's faster.

The trajectory at which mario's fireballs come out make them better for rushdown, recovery protection, and approach. Their distance makes them better for camping, and help to startup combos if Mario follows behind them (which is much easier than it sounds). Luigi's may have a larger hitbox, but the trajectory isn't as useful as Mario's.

Luigi does very well against projectiles, yes. But he doesn't do as well against them as Mario.

Nor Mario or Luigi do bad against spacies. Mario's ability to easily gimp them makes him a good matchup. Both can combo easily, and both can get easy kills off of them. Your preference of Luigi to Mario doesn't make Luigi > Mario. Your preference is just that; your preference. They're equal, and that's even stretching it. The only things that Luigi has keeping him equal to Mario are his Nair, Priority, and his KO power. That's it.

A2ZOMG

Smash Legend
NNID
A2ZOMG
Switch FC
SW 8400 1713 9427
Actually Matador, here is the best reason why Mario and Luigi are equal.

The both get infinite CGed against DDD says your sig. Basically they are both completely not viable in tourneys in the first place since that technique isn't banned.

Leprechaun_Drunk

Smash Journeyman
for the record, d3 only has a pseudo infinite on Luigi. after 5 times the move diminishes. additionally, luigi can't be chain grabbed by d3 because of his low traction, but (to my knowledge, and correct me if i'm wrong) mario can.

Matador

Maybe Even...Utopian?
for the record, d3 only has a pseudo infinite on Luigi. after 5 times the move diminishes. additionally, luigi can't be chain grabbed by d3 because of his low traction, but (to my knowledge, and correct me if i'm wrong) mario can.
http://youtube.com/watch?v=23UyrHXK36A&feature=related

Mario can be CG'd by ddd, Luigi can't. Both are vulnerable to the infinite so it doesn't matter. The grab diminishes, but this guy here found a way around it. Watch from 7:26 forward.

Edit @ A2ZOMG: Yeah, that's true. Pretty much an uphill battle at every tournament for those 5 cuz of this infinite. We'll find a way around it tho. I've heard a rumor that pressing a the instant you're grabbed allows you to break it. Haven't tested it out yet.

The Master of Mario

Smash Journeyman
"That's so wrong. I'm not sure how you can even say that. Luigi's aerials are blazingly fast, and his smash moves are equivalently fast or faster than Mario's... Simply, every single move of Luigi's is either as fast or faster than Mario's. EVERY SINGLE ONE."

Sorry to break it to you but LUIGI's F-Tilt is signifgantly slower and laggier.

E-unit

Smash Cadet
To me, This basically is asking "How are Mario and Luigi different?" and "Which one do you prefer?"

Matador

Maybe Even...Utopian?
To me, This basically is asking "How are Mario and Luigi different?" and "Which one do you prefer?"
Yeah, that's basically what it depends on. Both characters pwn in the right hands, just depends which character those right hands prefer. Most mains use both anyways.

Rhubarbo

Smash Champion
Lugi is better. Don't try to group them as if they're clones, because this question is like asking who is better, Kirby or Meta Knight.

The Master of Mario

Smash Journeyman
"Lugi is better. Don't try to group them as if they're clones, because this question is like asking who is better, Kirby or Meta Knight."

It's more like asking who is better Wolf or Falco because Metaknight and Kirby have alwost no simular moves while Falco and Wolf do just like Mario and Luigi.

TheMann

Smash Ace
http://youtube.com/watch?v=23UyrHXK36A&feature=related

Mario can be CG'd by ddd, Luigi can't. Both are vulnerable to the infinite so it doesn't matter. The grab diminishes, but this guy here found a way around it. Watch from 7:26 forward.

Edit @ A2ZOMG: Yeah, that's true. Pretty much an uphill battle at every tournament for those 5 cuz of this infinite. We'll find a way around it tho. I've heard a rumor that pressing a the instant you're grabbed allows you to break it. Haven't tested it out yet.
Lol I was a victim of the chaingrab by the guy who made that video in my first brawl tournament. I was able to get out of it after a while but it still did massive damage. I luckily won the set though. :)

Matador

Maybe Even...Utopian?
Lugi is better. Don't try to group them as if they're clones, because this question is like asking who is better, Kirby or Meta Knight.
Mind telling why Luigi is better instead of passing it along as fact?

And no, it's not like Kirby vs MK, because Kirby and MK have COMPLETELY different movesets. Luigi and Mario have more similarities than differences.

LuigiKing

Smash Lord
With Luigi you can easily put on 50%+ in one aerial + tilt combo. Best match ever today, against a decent kirby player. I did just that, and put around 60% on in one 'combo', then uppercutted the poor sap after powershielding his nair. Mario can't do that :D

Sanzi

Smash Apprentice
luigi is better. he has no move tht is completely terrible...... (like mario's down B)

luigi is better in the air and his up b sweet spot killlss

Top Bottom