• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Luigi Should Have A New Final Smash (Poltergust confirmed!)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tepig2000

Smash Champion
3DS FC
2938-8785-9936
His Final Smash in Brawl is cool, but it represents how Luigi lives in Mario's shadow. With all that Year of Luigi stuff, he is not in Mario's shadow anymore, so I think his Brawl Final Smash does not fit. Opinions?

Fortanono

Smash Ace
I think Negative Zone is awesome, and I never realized that "shadow" thing. I want it to stay the same, but a Poltergust would be cool either here or as a Down B.

Morbi

Scavenger
I thought the Final Smash represented how he was on Shrooms. I think a change is in order as well, I know it is very typical, but I would suggest something to do with the Poltergust. Maybe like Dedede where he summons the Waddle Dee, Luigi can just release some of the generic orange/pink/blue ghosts. Something of that nature.

Altais

Smash Champion
Starbase, where no turtle has gone before.
Eh, I liked Luigi's Final Smash in Brawl. Though, if they were to make a new Final Smash for him, I fancy it might be something from the Mario & Luigi RPG series. I really need to play those some time. Maybe I will get Mario & Luigi: Dream Team later this year. Hmm... perhaps his Final Smash could be associated with dreams. Luigi could go to sleep on the stage, and all the other players will be trapped in his dream. Luigi can then do whatever the devil he pleases with them. [Shrugs] Really just pulled that out of mine backside. Once I actually play the game, I might be able to come up with a better idea.

Yonder

Smashboard's 1st Sole Survivor
NNID
Skullicide
3DS FC
4055-4053-1813
Idk...I kind of like Luigi's FS. I don't know if I'd want it changed or not.

Tepig2000

Smash Champion
3DS FC
2938-8785-9936
I think Negative Zone is awesome, and I never realized that "shadow" thing. I want it to stay the same, but a Poltergust would be cool either here or as a Down B.
Trophy description for Luigi's Final Smash:

"Luigi's Final Smash. As exotic music plays, he performs a dance befitting a sorcerous incantation. A barrier envelops him, negatively impacting all in his area. Random effects include getting launched, sleeping, moving in slow motion, tripping, fainting, and losing attack power. This technique is a reflection of the dark side he embraced in his brother's shadow."

~ Valkyrie ~

Holy Maiden Warrior
Premium
NNID
IndyGo98
3DS FC
2793-0906-0731
Switch FC
SW-7670-7999-3483
After playing Dream Team, I think Luigi could use a FS that doesn't really go out on him unleashing the dark side he kept due being in Mario's shadow (because he loves Mario too much to be resentfuly or jealous about him genuinely)

It could be something funnier, perhaps? Or something more "weird but hilarious", like Luigi's always been portrayed in SSB-games.

*Oh Yeah Song plays in the background*

Radical Bones

Soul King
Switch FC
SW-3027-1027-5433
I love the idea behind the FS but feel that it could be presented better.

I'd love to see an 'accidental final smash' to show Luigi's personality better. Something that unleashes carnage on the battle field without him meaning to do so - like running from a chain chomp and killing everyone in his path - or something to that nature.

CardiganBoy

Smash Lord
After playing Dream Team, I think Luigi could use a FS that doesn't really go out on him unleashing the dark side he kept due being in Mario's shadow (because he loves Mario too much to be resentfuly or jealous about him genuinely)

It could be something funnier, perhaps? Or something more "weird but hilarious", like Luigi's always been portrayed in SSB-games.

*Oh Yeah Song plays in the background*
WHY LUIGI DOESNT DANCE IN MELEE/BRAWL..... hhmmm hmm sorry i had to.

But yeah Luigi should have another final samsh.

Kai Zami

Smash Apprentice
NNID
EthixKumamoto
3DS FC
4055-5261-7956
His Final Smash in Brawl is cool, but it represents how Luigi lives in Mario's shadow. With all that Year of Luigi stuff, he is not in Mario's shadow anymore, so I think his Brawl Final Smash does not fit. Opinions?
I think so too but probably not.... even though it's about "Luigi's Forever Shadow" it really works it's way in being that thing in SMB2 where you throw a Chemical Down, and Opening Some Mystical Door.....

UltimateWario

Smash Master
Luigi's Final Smash was weird and really pretty out-of-character, not to mention that it implied that he had negative feelings towards Mario, which there is literally no way is true. Luigi's far too earnest and caring for that.

I really like Radical Beam's idea. Luigi's the kind of fellow who seems to achieve most of his victories through either happenstance or sheer never-give-up-itude, so having Luigi accidentally kill everyone else on the field would be nearly perfect for his personality. That or just one of his Luiginary attacks.

UltimateWario

Smash Master
They can do whatever, as I don't use Luigi, but Negative Zone seems not only random (ala Triforce Slash, Mario Finale, Zero Laser), but also out of character. Luigi isn't a dark mage. He's Luigi.

Sonicguy726

Smash Lord
Maybe it could be based off of Mario & Luigi dream team, I have a few ideas
1.He sleeps on a pillow and the other fighters are sucked into his dream dealing damage
2.He grows gigantic and starts smacking people with his hammer or other special moves in the game
3. A bunch of luigi's rush across the stage knocking people off

D-idara

Banned via Administration
NNID
D-idara
3DS FC
4511-0670-4622
I agree, as much as I like Negative Zone, it's not canon anymore (Considering the events of Mario & Luigi: Dream Team)

Tepig2000

Smash Champion
3DS FC
2938-8785-9936
Maybe it could be based off of Mario & Luigi dream team, I have a few ideas
1.He sleeps on a pillow and the other fighters are sucked into his dream dealing damage
2.He grows gigantic and starts smacking people with his hammer or other special moves in the game
3. A bunch of luigi's rush across the stage knocking people off
I like 3 better.

Ryu Myuutsu

Smash Champion
NNID
BahamurShin
3DS FC
3668-9945-1996
Nah, Negative Zone is one of the best Final Smashes in the game. There is no need to remove it.

~ Valkyrie ~

Holy Maiden Warrior
Premium
NNID
IndyGo98
3DS FC
2793-0906-0731
Switch FC
SW-7670-7999-3483
We should have Year of Luigi as the new Final Smash. Loads and loads of Luigis around the stage and create all kinds of havoc, meanwhile everyone gets a Luigi-hat, trips, slips, jumps higher, etc.

Last edited:

Ryu Myuutsu

Smash Champion
NNID
BahamurShin
3DS FC
3668-9945-1996
Not really, it comes out of nowhere and isn't anything we've seen luigi do before
Luigi doesn't have an ultimate move equivalent from his home series that he could really use as a Final Smash. The negative zone is a reference to being in the shadow of his brother while also bringing a super natural element to it, since he is now used to hunting ghosts; so we can't say that it came out of nowhere as it draws inspiration from this. The moment you see the thing in action in Brawl, you can tell that it feels right for him to have it.
And besides, there is no rule where a character must draw every single move from their games. See Giga Bowser, see Captain Falcon; the smash universe also provides it's grain of salt to the character's identity. People get so over anxious in wanting to replace a Final Smash to a more "fitting" move but we shouldn't be willing to kill the originality that exists in moves like the Negative Zone. Regardless, I'm not worried since I'm sure this move is here to stay.

Last edited:

Sonicguy726

Smash Lord
Luigi doesn't have an ultimate move equivalent from his home series that he could really use as a Final Smash. The negative zone is a reference to being in the shadow of his brother while also bringing a super natural element to it, since he is now used to hunting ghosts; so we can't say that it came out of nowhere as it draws inspiration from this. The moment you see the thing in action in Brawl, you can tell that it feels right for him to have it.
And besides, there is no rule where a character must draw every single move from their games. See Giga Bowser, see Captain Falcon; the smash universe also provides it's grain of salt to the character's identity. People get so over anxious in wanting to replace a Final Smash to a more "fitting" move but we shouldn't be willing to kill the originality that exists in moves like the Negative Zone. Regardless, I'm not worried since I'm sure this move is here to stay.
Still it's pretty dumb and even then they could have easily done something actually luigis mansion related and giga bowser is there because of melee. Also how is cp. falcons not related to him, he rams you with his car. I really hope we get something either luigi's mansion or m&l dream team related for luigi. it's the year of luigi so the way to represent him is by showing that he's less important than mario, bull****

Ryu Myuutsu

Smash Champion
NNID
BahamurShin
3DS FC
3668-9945-1996
Still it's pretty dumb and even then they could have easily done something actually luigis mansion related and giga bowser is there because of melee. Also how is cp. falcons not related to him, he rams you with his car. I really hope we get something either luigi's mansion or m&l dream team related for luigi. it's the year of luigi so the way to represent him is by showing that he's less important than mario, bull****
It's actually not a bad thing, don't know why you are angry at that move being in. Luigi's Mansion also doesn't have what you could call an ultimate move that can serve as a FS, most characters in their home series doesn't have that either which is why most FS come exclusively from Brawl.
And when I mentioned Cp. Falcon, I was talking about how his is move-set is Smash original. His Falcon Punch for instance is his most iconic move and it never appeared in F-Zero before Smash; that's what I was referring to when saying that the smashverse also provides it's share to a characcter's identity.

Last edited:

MasterofMonster

Smash Master
Luigi has a lot of possible Final Smashes.

1: Vacuum Wave: puts on his Poltergust, creating a very strong vortex. He can't walk, but can aim all around him, sucking foes in. Then, when the sucking stops, you can angle his vacuum again, and press a button to shoot the trapped foes in any direction you want.

2: Negative Zone, like in Brawl.

3: Luiginary. Calls forth a army of Luiginary Luigis. Not sure what move would be best. Creating a pillar of Luigis, then Walking and pushing foes off stages? Creating a wrecking-ball to smack out foes? Anyone would fit~

Etc etc.

TubbyK

Smash Rookie
Etc etc.
Luigi has a lot of possible Final Smashes.

1: Vacuum Wave: puts on his Poltergust, creating a very strong vortex. He can't walk, but can aim all around him, sucking foes in. Then, when the sucking stops, you can angle his vacuum again, and press a button to shoot the trapped foes in any direction you want.

2: Negative Zone, like in Brawl.

3: Luiginary. Calls forth a army of Luiginary Luigis. Not sure what move would be best. Creating a pillar of Luigis, then Walking and pushing foes off stages? Creating a wrecking-ball to smack out foes? Anyone would fit~

Etc etc.
i agree with you on #1, i feel like Luigi's Smash atm doesn't really satisfy the luigi players :D

Ryan.

Smash Lord
I did like Negative Zone, but I really think his poltergust should be incorporated somehow this time around.

Yonder

Smashboard's 1st Sole Survivor
NNID
Skullicide
3DS FC
4055-4053-1813
Is be fine with it being his Final Smash, but I wanted it to be his down special.
Nah, that would probably screw him up like FLUDD did to Mario. So yeah, since Poltergust wasn't his grab, his FS is just as good.

FalKoopa

Rainbow Waifu
BRoomer
3DS FC
1650-3685-3998
Switch FC
SW-5545-7990-4793
Finally...
I'm glad Sakurai included the Poltergust. It deserved to be in his moveset.

Knight Dude

Keeping it going.
NNID
Kaine-Rodgers
3DS FC
0232-7749-6030
Well, by the looks of it, Luigi will actually have something in his moveset that references his own games. That's good to know.

SmashShadow

Smash Champion
3DS FC
0104-0598-9588
I can't believe I choose today of all days to get decent sleep. This update is hype!

ToothiestAura

Smash Champion
3DS FC
4527-8092-0589
I move this topic be renamed, "Luigi does have a new Final Smash."

I also wish we could have seen more, but just knowing is good enough.

Forcerounds

Smash Journeyman
This is exactly what I wanted. And with this, I hope Luigi's tornado Down B remains the same.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom