• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Luigi Tech, Strat and Setup Discussion Thread (UPDATE: 9/01/08) Torpedo "zap jump"

Locuan

D&D Obsessed
BRoomer
You guys realize that jab cancelling is only needed when you want to do another jab 1 afterwards right? It doesn't let you follow up with other moves any faster than normal.
Yes I know, but it does let you do another jab 1 afterwards and it also allows you to follow up with another move (not with a faster speed than normal) instead of waiting for the whole AAA animation to end. In other words thats what the crouch does cancel the following jab animations so you can use another move.

Faithkeeper

Smash Lord
Quick question on crouch canceling: Is there any difference (if so, what is it) between jab>jab>crouch>(etc) and jab>crouch>jab>crouch?

SparkEd

Smash Journeyman
Just a quick tidbit of info while playing around in Training Mode:

Luigi can Up Smash Right out of a Crouch (With the CStick, set to Smashes Dur) And as long as you're holding down you'll go back to Crouching straight afterward.

You can't do it while crawling though; I was hoping for that :/ So if you do happen to be crawling you could just suddenly shift the control stick straight down and Jam Up on the CStick.

hippiedude92

Smash Hero
Should we include footstooling? I know it isn't a discovery since it's pretty common, but it works pretty decent for those who like to play doubles or team battles. If you and your partner and only one oppenent is left, you can just get your partner do a footstool on the oppenent and do a free fire punch or a maybe a semi ftilt lock. Although grabbing and then letting your partner kill the oppenent seems convient or a hassle.

Locuan

D&D Obsessed
BRoomer
Should we include footstooling? I know it isn't a discovery since it's pretty common, but it works pretty decent for those who like to play doubles or team battles. If you and your partner and only one oppenent is left, you can just get your partner do a footstool on the oppenent and do a free fire punch or a maybe a semi ftilt lock. Although grabbing and then letting your partner kill the oppenent seems convient or a hassle.
We should undergo more testing for this though. If it works then we can add it but remember one must test before coming to any conclusions.

Locuan

D&D Obsessed
BRoomer
UPDATED!

So I made my first tech discovery hopefully! The Missile Cancel Hug, and added the a setup I discovered for the semi-lock and a U-tilt setup that I believe is a combo (need to test it with proper DI). Read about it in the front page and I hope you guys enjoy :laugh:.

hippiedude92

Smash Hero
Woot woot! Nice going Loucan! I should try the MCH in a heated match hopefully it works well. The utilt, I still gota learn how to understand it. The Dair spike to semi-tilt looks useful, if only i knew how to use the spike on command =/

Btw stop finding discoveries :O!!! Your finding them way too fast xD

luigidude90

Smash Apprentice
Woot woot! Nice going Loucan! I should try the MCH in a heated match hopefully it works well. The utilt, I still gota learn how to understand it. The Dair spike to semi-spike looks useful, if only i knew how to use the spike on command =/

Btw stop finding discoveries :O!!! Your finding them way too fast xD
lol yeah leave some discoveries for others XP. i was practicing the MCH and can do it 60-70% of the time and can do it while running cos you get a wee slide. ive yet to use it in a proper match.

Locuan

D&D Obsessed
BRoomer
I find that the MCH you really gotta know your distance and how much you have to charge in order to get the edgehug. I tried using it as a edgehug, instead I got a misfire lol.
Yea you need to know those things, and also thats one of the setbacks of the MCH (misfires!).

10fireballlocks!

Faithkeeper

Smash Lord
Another thing to be careful of with the MCH: Alot of character's recovery moves could stage spike you if you overshoot the ledge. (example: marth's up b)

hippiedude92

Smash Hero
I found something interesting about utilt setup and upair. I believe a upair does a 45 degree kick and back. So I was messing around found that when his kick returns it does lower knockback behind him. So if you land a upair if the opponent is behind you, you can set yourself a uptilt not to mention utilt hits front and behind him!

Razz113

Smash Cadet
Just a quick tidbit of info while playing around in Training Mode:

Luigi can Up Smash Right out of a Crouch (With the CStick, set to Smashes Dur) And as long as you're holding down you'll go back to Crouching straight afterward.

You can't do it while crawling though; I was hoping for that :/ So if you do happen to be crawling you could just suddenly shift the control stick straight down and Jam Up on the CStick.
U cant do that while crawling, but you can do a dtilt to a down angled Fsmash which can lead to an off stage spike.

Camalange

BRoomer
NNID
Camalange
3DS FC
1160-9836-5007
Switch FC
SW-4197-1438-9208
I see you mention the f-tilt and fireball lock, but the dash attack locks as well (like hippiedude mentioned, it is possible). If you perform the attack as a regular dash attack, its usually pretty easy to escape from, but if you use it right before your opponent hits the ground, you can lock them into the attack. (similar to a fireball and f-tilt lock) Since Luigi has multiple hits when he does his dash attack and it still moves forward, it's really easy to lock people in it and get some good hits..

hippiedude92

Smash Hero
I see you mention the f-tilt and fireball lock, but the dash attack locks as well (like hippiedude mentioned, it is possible). If you perform the attack as a regular dash attack, its usually pretty easy to escape from, but if you use it right before your opponent hits the ground, you can lock them into the attack. (similar to a fireball and f-tilt lock) Since Luigi has multiple hits when he does his dash attack and it still moves forward, it's really easy to lock people in it and get some good hits..
Is it possible if you can test this? ( such as with or no DI, in FD, what certain %, how precise, how useful and etc..) It'd be extremely helpful seeing as Luigi's dash attack is his least used move.

Edit: it was camalange's idea not mine i just decided to bring it up here lol

Camalange

BRoomer
NNID
Camalange
3DS FC
1160-9836-5007
Switch FC
SW-4197-1438-9208
Well, all i know is that I've done it against my friend numerous times (he's good at the game, not like my other n00b friends) and he knows all about DI and what-not, and he never gets out of it. But still, I would like to try and do some more testing on it, because you're right, it is his least used move. So far I guess we can test if it can be DI'd out of (pretty sure it can't, but not positive), and if it works at all percentages (which again, not positive, but pretty sure it works at all %'s) because with the dash attack the opponent seems to get caught in Luigi's barrage of smacks and continuously bounces of the floor into his fists. Maybe we can also test if it works on all characters.

hippiedude92

Smash Hero
Lol I haven't even invested a fireball.ftilt lock yet in my Luigi game :[ Theres those times where you randomly throw a dash attack and you some what land the whole attack or you land the mulitple hits but get powershielded by the last hit. Since the enemy can't tech it and is boucing on the floor, it's most likely they cant shieldgrab you making you free from being punished and also if you do it behind them it makes it even more safe on the block since they cant shield grab at all.

TESTTTTTTTTTT NAOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOS! =D

Camalange

BRoomer
NNID
Camalange
3DS FC
1160-9836-5007
Switch FC
SW-4197-1438-9208
I know I hate that! But that's what makes this Dash Attack Lock so beautiful! Hahaha, testing shall start immediately after I get some sleep! I'll probably start testing it on each character to see if everyone can get locked in it (I know Mario and Link can) but I wonder if really floatly light weight characters like Jiggs, Kirby, or even the green man himself can get out of it...yea well, that shall be checked tommorow. G'night folks.

SparkEd

Smash Journeyman
I've actually done a Dash Attack Lock sometimes.

It's pretty hard to tech, too, lol.

Camalange

BRoomer
NNID
Camalange
3DS FC
1160-9836-5007
Switch FC
SW-4197-1438-9208
I've actually done a Dash Attack Lock sometimes.

It's pretty hard to tech, too, lol.
Hard to tech? Does that mean it can be teched out of, or just impossible for humans? haha

Camalange

BRoomer
NNID
Camalange
3DS FC
1160-9836-5007
Switch FC
SW-4197-1438-9208
So yea, after messing around with the Dash Attack Lock, here's my conclusion
Unlike the other locks, it's not as flashy, but it's the best way to perform the dash attack. All characters can get hit by it, but it only works if you do the attack once they hit the ground. Then when they getted bopped around, they keep hitting the ground and Luigi's fist so they can't powershield, power grab, or tech out of it. Sadly though, most people will prob. tech before they hit the ground so it's hard to set up...
If anyone can find good setups for the attack, feel free to contribute.

Faithkeeper

Smash Lord
dtilt trip...

But depending on the percentage, you might just want to go for the Firepunch... (i think i heard you can firepunch a tripped opponent)

a low to the ground dair spike into the stage...
But it's a small hitbox, and for it to be low enough for you to start a lock from it, it'd have to be from behind so it isn't sheildgrabbed.... very situational...

ALiAsVee

Smash Ace
Jab to dtilt *trips* to fire jump punch is **** and one and only few things that Luigi's users dont use.. just watch spacing tho.. if you fk up, then gg lol..
wait a minute, i thought this was a pretty common thing. People aren't taking advantage of that awesome set up?! >:O. I couldn't imagine not doing this move at least once in a match if i had the chance xD.

Camalange

BRoomer
NNID
Camalange
3DS FC
1160-9836-5007
Switch FC
SW-4197-1438-9208
wait a minute, i thought this was a pretty common thing. People aren't taking advantage of that awesome set up?! >:O. I couldn't imagine not doing this move at least once in a match if i had the chance xD.
It is, but I was asking for Dash Attack Lock set ups, and now we're drifting to Firepunch setups :/

ALiAsVee

Smash Ace
well about that, i can't test today (its late) but tommorow i'll look into it. I know you can lock people with it, but i have never done it on purpose. I think its a matter of hitting the person before they hit the ground, which has been said.

I'll get some data and post a thread tommorow.

Camalange

BRoomer
NNID
Camalange
3DS FC
1160-9836-5007
Switch FC
SW-4197-1438-9208
Where is the hitbox for his dair spike?
Some place inbetween where luigi spins his arms around...it's odd and very hard to perform at will. I usually get it by luck

ALiAsVee

Smash Ace
BUMP because this page hasn't been shown in love in a while. Hippie, i don't think we will ever get anymore stickies lol.

hippiedude92

Smash Hero
Lol Alia mod's never do anything >.>

Anyways we have a new strat or AT how ever you wanna call it, called "L-cancel" aka " Luigi-cancel" All credits to Boss8 on this ;D

i actually use it in turneys and results dont lie i always place atleast 7th or higher.......

its basically mindgames towards last stock people get nervous cause luigi had a killer UP-B move that kills at like 45% 50 ish thats when i jab grab at low %'s then they catch on that he will just jab grab ....is when i jab UP-B......mindgames are a big part.....and a careful recovery is also good.......
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qt53flmF2m0

Around 0:33 to 0:36 you see him doing aerials much quicker and landing much quicker .

Good sh*t boss!!!

ALiAsVee

Smash Ace
Lol Alia mod's never do anything >.>

Anyways we have a new strat or AT how ever you wanna call it, called "L-cancel" aka " Luigi-cancel" All credits to Boss8 on this ;D

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qt53flmF2m0

Around 0:33 to 0:36 you see him doing aerials much quicker and landing much quicker .

Good sh*t boss!!!
Ok, then its gonna be called L-cancel (Luigi cancel). I was afraid you guys would call it something bad, like Bossin'. (Even though that sounds kinda funny).

Locuan

D&D Obsessed
BRoomer
Hey guys, sorry I haven't been on smashboards in a while. Universities got me with a lot of work... 13 page lab reports every week...

Anyways, if anyone can recollect all the discussion and new techs into one post, I will verify it and update it accordingly.

I saw boss's video, I need to look more into that it seems a bit awkward.

Top Bottom