• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

luigi + tournaments = ? Can he make it?

hyperhopper

Smash Ace
Is luigi a viable character to win tournys with?

I am trying to find a main, and see that luigi seems to have a similar style to ZSS and wario. How is he better/worse/different from them?

Think it would be better to scrap luigi for a higher tier character to practice and possibly become pro with?

hippiedude92

Smash Hero
Ummm he's only semi -viable.. He just can't take the popular top tier chars (MK,Snake,Marth etc) so you'll need a secondary. Luigi is better off as a secondary to fight off the rising popular characters such as Diddy, ZSS, Wario, Olimar.

Yonder

Smashboard's 1st Sole Survivor
NNID
Skullicide
3DS FC
4055-4053-1813
I'd call him on the borderline of viable, so he's viable, but barely.I at least know Biglou and Boss can place with him solo.

ScAtt77

Smash Journeyman
NNID
ScAtt77
Actually, the only match up that I feel that Luigi gets absolutely destroyed in is vs MK. ( Which is like 75:25 imo) You may have a little more trouble with Marth/Gdubs, but that's about it. So yes, I think Luigi is somewhat viable.

yoshq

Smash Master
Actually, the only match up that I feel that Luigi gets absolutely destroyed in is vs MK. ( Which is like 75:25 imo) You may have a little more trouble with Marth/Gdubs, but that's about it. So yes, I think Luigi is somewhat viable.
this, lost to 4 mks last tourney

Yonder

NNID
Skullicide
3DS FC
4055-4053-1813
100% agreed. MK is just waaaay too common though :p. I guess if there's ever MK banned tournaments, Luigi would do farily good.

bobson

Smash Lord
Has there been any significant Luigi representation at the HOBOs that have MK banned?

LuigiKing

Smash Lord
Luigi has the best killpower in the game barring Snake. I don't think its possible for him to suck =p

P.S. - I think Luigi should be up with Lucario/kirby/ZSS but thats just me.

CR4SH

Smash Lord
He doesn't suck but he's not good.

His combo game is second only to characters like diddy kong, and I can't think of any others. His kill power is absolutely bonkers.

But he really has no approach options to get these things started and his shieldpush doesn't do him any favors. Not to mention his recovery is pretty garbage.

If you can trick people you can hurt people. Hallmark of a low or lowmid tier character.

Yonder

NNID
Skullicide
3DS FC
4055-4053-1813
Luigi has the best killpower in the game barring Snake. I don't think its possible for him to suck =p

P.S. - I think Luigi should be up with Lucario/kirby/ZSS but thats just me.
Well...you are a pretty good player so it's a plausible idea, not totally out of question, but those three are indeed better I think.

But realistically, Luigi would easily be B tier if his matchup against MK wasn't one of the worst in the game against MK. It's so bad, they should just rename MK to "Luigislayer" :p

TreK

Is "that guy"
People who use swords are gay
I mean we main a karateka
and they come up with a chopper
no cool =/

And yeah, I don't think I'd ever be able to place good without my Diddy, even if my Luigi>my Diddy. Stupid game <3

Yonder

NNID
Skullicide
3DS FC
4055-4053-1813
Luigi is slow.

Luigi is a big, scary, slow moving hitbox. Think bowser.
Luigi only has slow movement speed both ground and air, but everything else about him is average speed or fast...us

Sinz

The only true DR vet.
Premium
He is viable in NM.

:D

D3 infinite banned.
MK banned.

LuigiKing

Smash Lord
He doesn't suck but he's not good.

His combo game is second only to characters like diddy kong, and I can't think of any others. His kill power is absolutely bonkers.

But he really has no approach options to get these things started and his shieldpush doesn't do him any favors. Not to mention his recovery is pretty garbage.

If you can trick people you can hurt people. Hallmark of a low or lowmid tier character.
I disagree. Luigi has a lot of things that separate him from some of the generic mid tier characters. Though he has some death matchups that are absolutely destroying his tournament viability. The things is, no character ever has the lead against Luigi. I've been down well over a stock in tournament and made it up by 0-deathing someone through one slip up. Can any other character do this?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GLDsQ_V2tys

Last 15 seconds lol.

CR4SH

Smash Lord
I've been down well over a stock in tournament and made it up by 0-deathing someone through one slip up. Can any other character do this?
Ganondorf can, lucario can, Ice climbers definetly can, metaknight can, lucas can (I think, maybe not from zero but definetly from around 20, but lucas' **** is actually combos, or at least lead ins to a kill combo), snake can if you count shield breakers, marth can on certain characters, so can falco ummm probably a few more.

But I do agree with the basic premise. You're never safe against luigi. Luigi is in most cases, far and away the most terrifying character to share screenspace with. He can do anything at any time if you give him the opportunity. I also think that if you cut the tier list off at marth, luigi might be the second or third best character in the game, just based on matchups.

I really think luigi's one big debilitating problem is his airspeed. He's very easy to keep at arm's length. Give luigi wario's airspeed, and I think he's bar none the best character in the game.

hippiedude92

Smash Hero
Hyper, many people usually get inspired to pick up Luigi because of his awesome air combos and his sexy early kills. But in highest level of play it takes ALOT of thinking to land stuff like that espically if your opponent is smart, and isnt dumb to DI ing towards u. luigi is really good against ppl who have no matchup exp but with people who can adapt/have good matchup exp will give a good run for your money

also people really need to stop *****ing about MK hindering luigis tier placement, just freestyle him and dont ***** about it

KoRoBeNiKi

Smash Hero
Writing Team
Slippi.gg
KORO#668
Luigi is the best char in this game, by far.
you main diddy, That's why you think that...xD

Luigi is viable...but only really if the D3 infinite is banned completely from tournaments.

MK ban helps...but to me, marth is a worse matchup than MK

Yonder

NNID
Skullicide
3DS FC
4055-4053-1813
you main diddy, That's why you think that...xD

Luigi is viable...but only really if the D3 infinite is banned completely from tournaments.

MK ban helps...but to me, marth is a worse matchup than MK

Guess it's all personal opinion, but Marth pales in comparison to MK in difficulty. 60:40 on an average level, 65:35 at the VERY peak of competitive play. Same I feel applies for Game and Watch.

MK: 75:25...

D

Deleted member

What? Have you guys ever played the Metaknight matchup? All Luigi has to do is press up b. Its ridiculous
False.
MK should not put himself that close to luigi, why would he.
His tilts all outrange everything luigi can do on the ground, luigi has slow *** air speed and ground speed, as well as huge traction, why would a good MK EVER be that close to luigi :p

To be fair, i think the matchup is mostly awful cuz of recovery. If i could do rising down b without a jump like boss, it might be easier XD

hippiedude92

Smash Hero
False.
MK should not put himself that close to luigi, why would he.
His tilts all outrange everything luigi can do on the ground, luigi has slow *** air speed and ground speed, as well as huge traction, why would a good MK EVER be that close to luigi :p

To be fair, i think the matchup is mostly awful cuz of recovery. If i could do rising down b without a jump like boss, it might be easier XD
l guess it's hard for you to detect internet sarcasm but it doesn't even work anyways.

Lol.

LuigiKing

Smash Lord
also people really need to stop *****ing about MK hindering luigis tier placement, just freestyle him and dont ***** about it
If it worked like that hippie, well, I would do a lot better. I know the MK matchup really, really well and I know what **** needs to get done but it doesn't work. I can't take him to my counterpicks, and I die at 2% if I break form for one second and go offstage. Seriously, its not the players, its the character.

yoshq

Smash Master
I've come to the conclusion from trying luigi at a lot of tourneys vs A LOT of different mks. The only mks luigi will beat are
1. those that don't know the matchup at all and play it too confidently opening themselves up to a lot of punishment.
2. those that just plain suck with mk

and besides, when you do beat these it's still close % last stock and you still have to try as hard as you can to beat them.

Doomsday739

Smash Rookie
I think every character could win a tournament... Except maybe Ganon. (Joking)

However, it isn't that easy to win a big tournament playing only one character unless your character has no bad matches, because people will try to counterpick you.

CRASHiC

Smash Hero
What about Luigi as a doubles partner? Some charecters do far better in this enviroment than in singles.
Take Lucas. Our best Lucas player does good in Florida, but he kind of sucks in singles. However, when he teams up with NickRiddle (equally skilled charecter using ZSS), he's a wonderful partner. This could be Luigi's place as well, since his moves work so incredibly well in a chaos situation, and he has so many kill moves that are so easy to set up for.

Yonder

NNID
Skullicide
3DS FC
4055-4053-1813
What about Luigi as a doubles partner? Some charecters do far better in this enviroment than in singles.
Take Lucas. Our best Lucas player does good in Florida, but he kind of sucks in singles. However, when he teams up with NickRiddle (equally skilled charecter using ZSS), he's a wonderful partner. This could be Luigi's place as well, since his moves work so incredibly well in a chaos situation, and he has so many kill moves that are so easy to set up for.
Well Luigi is unarguably better in teams, probably high tier too :p

Top Bottom