• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Luigi vs Donkey Kong

Somacruz2

Smash Journeyman
Hey guys,l i need some help again

My friend has a really good donkey kong, and i can take it down with my other three characters, but my luigi always has toruble because i can't seem to get Luigi's recovery game back. everything i try he punishes, what is a really good way for Luigi to hop back on the stage that's not easily punishible?

Locuan

D&D Obsessed
BRoomer
Learn to sweetspot the ledge with the side-b, aim a bit lower from the ledge then release the side-b. When recovering don't be scared to get back on stage quickly, you can see his attempt to edgeguard and you can dodge or hit him with one of your own aerials to get him out of the way then proceed to recover. But really learn to sweetspot the ledge with side-b it works wonders.

SparkEd

Smash Journeyman
DK outranges Luigi on the ground, do take the fight into the air. At least from there you don't have to deal with a Headbutt+Pitfalled => FSmash/Giant Punch Combo. Some of DK's Aerials, like his BAir, NAir and UAir are as fast as yours, so try to get him in front.

Recovery is where it get s a little hairy. Always try to stay above DK, that means even the side somewhat hinders you. Your BAir < His BAir because it outranges you (I think, otherwise they're equal) and recovering from below literally asks you to be DAir Spiked.

*Obligatory "Spam Fireballs!!!1" Paragraph*

That's all I can say, really.

hippiedude92

Smash Hero
The first 2 posts cover it. DK has some decent range on the ground and has some big hitboxs espically for his smashs. Take it to the air by starting off with a tornado or Dthrow. Since's hes big and hairy :], juggle him with u-tilts, then combo him with aerials Fair,Nair,Dair, Bair. Throw fireballs at DK so you can pressure him and he'll be forced to approach you. He's pretty slow on the approachs, they're abit laggy but fast so becareful on that. As for recovering, don't be afraid of getting spiked or gimped by a DK, his recovery is horrid espically vertically. You can probably gimp him while recovering back in the stage. If anything, try to use the rising tornado and catch him in the middle of the tornado so that he'll take the hits and be thrown somewhere he can't recover but don't make it too predictable.

Honestly out of the heaviest characters, I always thought DK had the potential unlike D3's infinites and Ike's sword moves.

TheZeroFaReal

Smash Apprentice
If you're getting punished while recovering, tornado all the way up and side B towards the stage. While dropping, just pressure with aerials.

B_AWAL

Smash Master
Hey guys,l i need some help again

My friend has a really good donkey kong, and i can take it down with my other three characters, but my luigi always has toruble because i can't seem to get Luigi's recovery game back. everything i try he punishes, what is a really good way for Luigi to hop back on the stage that's not easily punishible?
Drew, I fight his DK all the time, why didn't u jus ask me 4 help...

ALiAsVee

Smash Ace
Learn to tech off the stage when he does the cargo throw, I'm pretty sure every good DK main does that. The one i play against does, but I've learned how to tech the stage so i don't get spiked and die. Luigi can recover anywhere if he techs the stage, even on the bottom. I had a case of doing that where i teched the bottom of the stage and did a rising Tornado onto the other side of FD. Its basically prediction where he will throw you though, but most DK mains won't feel the need to mix up their stage spikes if it works everytime.

elheber

Smash Lord
NNID
elheber
Luigi has 4 (yes FOUR) full ways to recover:
  • From Above - Where you do a Rising Cyclone first, then fall toward the stage Airdodging or Attacking as you come down.
  • From the Side - Where you Charge a Green Missile and then Sweetspot the ledge of the stage.
  • From Below - Where you do Uncharged Green Missiles to get close, then a Rising Cyclone to get up.
  • From WAY Below - Yeah, it counts. They expect you to Jump into a Rising Cyclone, but you just keep falling till the last moment... THEN you Jump to Rising Cyclone.

Maybe it's not a fourth recovery, and maybe it's just a variation of the third, but I just want to point out that option. That fourth recover (WAY Below) has some amazing gimping properties against spikers. Mario, DK, Ganondorf, and others with laggy spikes will wait at the edge and time their fall to spike you like the punch at a prom dance. By falling longer, you gimp their spike and/or hinder their vertical recovery. DK can't chase you that far down, so by the time his spike is over, you're already punishing him with a Rising Cyclone. DK might have a hard time recovering from that, especially if you got him after his second jump.

I say all this because you need to mix up your recovery. I'm not saying that this should be your only recovery against DK, because he'll just start countering it by jumping down a little later. It's a mindgame, and it's effective at turning the tables.

CR4SH

Smash Lord
I'd just like to re-iterate your most important recovery option here. Since you're having so much trouble recovering against DK, I would START your recovery with a jump+tornado. This usually puts you REALLY high into the air, at which point you can green missle over-top of the stage and come from above before he ever has a chance to try and attack you.

Top Bottom