• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Luigi VS Kirby (Critique, please)

Wyvern72

Smash Rookie
This is just a friendly match between a friend and me. He is playing Luigi, and I, of course, am playing Kirby.

I'd like to know what you guys think of my Kirby. =D

Here's the video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fxrsz_WRT90

Sorry for the bad quality on Kirby. He looks like a white blob. I probably should have used blue Kirby instead of pink... >_>

t!MmY

Smash Hero
NNID
t1mmy_smash
I thought the quality of the match was fine since I was able to see everything well - trust me when I say I've seen "bad" quality. x_x

I didn't say anything about the actual gameplay because I didn't know what you want me to talk about. But you said you wanted tips, so that I can do for you good sir.

You smashed too much. Kirby's smashes are weak, laggy, and don't lead into combos easily, so there's little point in using them. His B-air and U-air are about as strong as his smashes, and sometimes stronger if you're not sweetspotting the smashes, and the trajectory they send opponents is often more devestating (less of an arc and more horizontal).

Since Kirby's smashes are so unsatisfactory, your goal should be to consciously work on being hard to hit. I don't mean running around dodging as much as possible - that's just being evasive. What I mean is that you should play Kirby so that you don't let your guard down. Use attacks that have little lag and a good reach like the B-air. Yes, start with improving your B-air...

Make a conscious effort to hit with it at the very farthest you can reach with it to keep your opponent at a distance. Use it with various movement: approach with a B-air, strike with the B-air and then float away from the opponent, Full Jump straight up and B-air then use another B-air before touching the ground - there are lots of ways of using it.

Now your opponent will recognize what you are up to and start formulating ways of countering your strategies. Maybe he'll try Shield Grabbing. Maybe he'll slide away, roll, or side step. Maybe he'll try something completely unexpected. At this point, you'll want to recognize what he's up to and counter that strategy with something of your own. When this happens, feel free to come back and ask us Kirby players for advice. (You'll know you're getting better at the game when you ask for advice on specific things instead of general "tips") ;)

You'll notice I held off on answering what I thought of your Kirby. Why? Because I can either say "It was good" or "It was bad" or "It was meh", but that doesn't really help, now does it?

Cereal Rabbit

Smash Lord
T!mmy covered pooploads of useful information. That Luigi seemed like the smarter player. He was standing, waiting for you to do an attack where you would be punished for such laggy attacks.

There was actually a lot more rolling than I thought a usual Kirby player would be using. But again, T!mmy rolls like a barrel down a hill. So it's not much. Rolling is another term for moving to a different spot when shielding. Some other things to you can to move while you're shielding is Shielding to Wavedash or just Shielding to Jumping away. Rolling isn't a bad tactic, but it's a bad habit. (I'm not sure that sounded right. It seemed like your whole strategy was "Smash" then "Roll" then "Smash" with occasional Air attacks. I'm not sure I saw a hammer, but while I'm writing this, I might go back later to check if you used his hammer.

Kirby sucks (in air ;)) so, you need to get him green hats. Whenever you're playing Kirby, it's mandatory (well not really). It's as mandatory as a Sheik needs to charge up needles. It's just a fun addiction to Kirby's game play. Or just totally forget that idea, because with a Kirby Hat you can't Kirby-Cide. The swallowing though, 8% damage is good.

I saw a few grab (and a lot more grab atempts). Get some better spacing by practicing on an approaching opponent. Kirby isn't the kind of characters that can approach back at other characters due to the fact that, well, he's small and scrubby. With the technique of spacing you'll open up mistakes from your openings giving you the opportunity to do a quick attack or even a grab. Up-Throw on Slower Fallers and Down-Throw on Faster Fallers. Down throw is good because you can tech chase your opponents if they try to tech away. Back-Throw is usually good on edgeguarding when you're finishing a stock, but it's not the best idea when you want to do this at a lower damage, where the grab is easily escapable.

With all this information you've gotten, you'll finally have the power to stop the Street Fighters....
*M.Bison says Yeeeeeeees..... Yeeeeeeeeees.....*

EDIT: Geez, all our avitars are the same...... *tries to get Reaper to change his avatar*

Pink Reaper

Real Name No Gimmicks
BRoomer
In the Air, Using Up b as an offensive move
Just sort of posting cus I can, not alot of advice I can give you as t!Mmy/Rabbit covered most everything. Just some minor suggestions, when you finally got a grab, you did a Dthrow. Not a good choice against a Luigi as he can attack out of a Dthrow before you have time to react. I suggest Uthrow or Bthrow, as they will keep him from actually counter attacking.

Also, you didn't use the stone alot but I will say you used it incorrectly, by which I mean, you used it. The stone should really only be used as a way to get down quickly when you've been knocked very high up, or when you opponent gets a little overzealous with a combo and has no way of avoiding it. Outside of that, unless you know your opponent is going to screw up and you can mindgame'z him, you shouldn't use stone.

As you are on this forum and I saw at least Luigi WD im sure you know of AT's so I dont think I need to explain them, and Im sure you yourself know that you need to work on them so I'll avoid saying much. Just know that you rolled a little too much, you should try and WD more.

t!MmY

Smash Hero
NNID
t1mmy_smash
Yeah, tell that Luigi player to N-air you every time after you D-throw him. You'll break the habit quickly that way. ;)

AIDS

Smash Lord
why are the critique my kirby threads so hard to watch... lol this one is pretty funny, you need a lot of practise kid, learn of advanced playing styles lol, that should goo to the luigi aswell =P

Paranormalsin

Smash Ace
why are the critique my kirby threads so hard to watch... lol this one is pretty funny, you need a lot of practise kid, learn of advanced playing styles lol, that should goo to the luigi aswell =P
to be honest, use t!immy as your model kirby. he has plenty of well done videos to go check out via youtube, i know i learned a lot form just watching him.
just need more kirby lazer spam xD pew pew pew ^(-_-)>

Gundo

Smash Apprentice
you just had some of the claimed best kirby players reply and give you tips.

Anyways, I think you did a pretty good job for the most part, Kirby isnt easy to use.

Top Bottom