• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Luigi's Rank.

n1n10do

Smash Cadet
Like he has the best wavedash in the game, and he has powerful aerials well i can't really complain. at least he is at the top of the low tier, but i don't really believe in tier list i feel that every character has about 2 or 3 useful moves.

Seartu

Smash Journeyman
If you aren't using F-tilt, u-tilt, d-smash, u-smash, fair, nair, dair, and bair on the regular you're doing it wrong.

Renth

Smash Hero
People care about tier lists?

Just play the game, **** all the tier ***** fox mains make them cry.

Seartu

Smash Journeyman
Ahaha, Blea would be more qualified, don't know that anyone's ever said "eff luigi" before having to play me.

But I tell you what renth, I EVER run into you at a tourney I'll throw down $5.

:phone:

Pakman

WWMD
BRoomer
Luigi's problem is that his major strengths are gimmicks. Among other things, his floatiness, his wavedash and his recovery are all very gimmicky. They surprise people who don't know the match up, but against players with Luigi experience those things end up being exploitable by your opponent.

Luigi certainly belongs where he is on that list.

Seartu

Smash Journeyman
Did you see armadas luigi ? he ***** a falco main

You should look up some videos of pakman and blea here. Both of then can make an awful lot of high tier mains look pretty silly.

The tier list is by no means definitive. If it were the best player in the world would be a space animal.

Luigi is awesome, and I love him. He makes me giggle and is ultimately the most satisfying character for me to play. But as pakman above me mentioned weegi faces a number of limitations and is probably sitting in about the right spot on the tier list.

BluEG

Smash Journeyman
I think he should be above Mario. Pika too, but my knowledge of pika is lacking and i have yet to witness a great one in person so I don't have that reliable of an opinion.

DerfMidWest

Fresh ******
Slippi.gg
SOFA#941
Uhm... Every character under top 7 is pretty gimmicky. Thats in part why they are under the top 7, because they are less than solid.
It doesn't make them bad, per se, however it means that they are somewhat more easily exploited due to signifigant flaws.
On topic, while luigi is a boss and really fun to use and definitely can deal with top tiers, he has exploitable weaknesses that players experiences in the MU will be able to take advantage of, so I believe his placement is relatively accurate.

ShrieK1295

Smash Journeyman
Luigi blows and if you want to beat people at tournaments you should switch. I'm not saying he can't be fun, but at least for me, the frustration of losing can definitely outweigh whatever pleasure I get from Luigi. I also have pent up anger of playing against Shroomed, and he doesn't die to any Luigi attack until like 170%. Also, people who know how to play gay against Luigi make matchups that you thought were ok seem unwinnable.

If you are determined the next Ka-Master, more power to you. I hope we play sometime

DerfMidWest

Fresh ******
Slippi.gg
SOFA#941
Woah there, of course its going to be hard for luigi, he's a difficult character, but if you quit using him because he's too challenging, thats your fault as a player. Luigi can be successful in tournament, I see this silly Vudujin kid come up here and consistently place at all of the ohio tourneys.
Its possible, just difficult. Playing a mid/low tier requires a bit more from you as a player, since you can't just fall back on your character like top tiers can.
And mindset is a major part of it too, yes, sometimes it can be discouraging, this is a difficult game, but if you don't keep a positive mindset you won't improve.

TL;DR: play whatever character you want (in this case, Luigi) it will be challenging, but its not impossible, so keep working at it.

Oh, also keep in mind that shroomed was once bad too. He went through the same challenges that you are now and he's pretty much made it. You can be there too, you just need to work for it.

ShrieK1295

Smash Journeyman
Eh, I quit Luigi because I think Falcon is much more fun to play, but the "winning more" part of it definitely doesn't hurt.

DerfMidWest

Fresh ******
Slippi.gg
SOFA#941
if you feel that falcon is more suited to you as a player, then don't be afraid to switch.
It just sounded like you were quitting Luigi out of frustration.
When choosing a main, I believe its most important to go with the character that you enjoy the most and are most comfortable using, not necessarily the one that you preform the best with (as this changes with experience anyway)

ShrieK1295

Smash Journeyman
I found Luigi a lot of fun when I was playing against lower level players, but the matchups that I found to be the most fun (fast fallers) got a lot worse as the quality of my opponents increased. Luigi's floatiness seemed to ultimately be a real pain and I was sad that nair never got me out of combos anymore. Also, DI has never been my best asset, so the combos on Luigi and his bad recovery got to be a bit too annoying for my taste. Even though Falcon gets comboed all day, and his recovery is bad too, the ability to finish combos with a knee and just kill people off leaves me greatly satisfied and takes away the annoying "I can't kill people with good DI" feeling that I get as Luigi.

DerfMidWest

Fresh ******
Slippi.gg
SOFA#941
if you're more comfortable with falcon, than the switch is fine.
as long as you're not switching simply because falcon is a better character.

Pakman

WWMD
BRoomer
if you're more comfortable with falcon, than the switch is fine.
as long as you're not switching simply because falcon is a better character.
There is nothing wrong with switching to a character solely because he is a better character. These boards are geared toward competitive smash. The primary goal of that is to win as many games as possible in competitive play.

D

Deleted member

Luigi certainly belongs where he is on that list.
There is nothing wrong with switching to a character solely because he is a better character. These boards are geared toward competitive smash. The primary goal of that is to win as many games as possible in competitive play.
I see you dropped the crack. Definitely agree with you.

DerfMidWest

Fresh ******
Slippi.gg
SOFA#941
No there isn't anything wrong with it per se, but you are more likely to be successful with a character you enjoy more/are most comfortable with.

Top Bottom