• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Luigi's UpB is better than Jiggly's Rest

TheAmazingJordo

Smash Cadet
WHY?!?

It kills at lower percent. It even has a setup that is just as easy as Non DI'd Uthrow to Rest in melee on Space Animals (Jab to UpB).

What were they thinking?

fallenangemon0

Smash Journeyman
jiggs will forever pwn. even if luigi has something better than rest...

Im hardcore ****** on wifi btw ^_^

xpnet

Smash Cadet
The lag isn't bad if you have a good internet connections. Once in a while you will get that one guy that just doesn't have a good connection and you have to exit your battle and re-enter.

But REST move is gimped ... I rested in a nice 3 man battle and they both came back down and had enough time to smash me out of my rest.. What gives nintendo!!

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
Main flaw with that move is that Luigi ends up wide open. Of course, Jigglypuff ends up a sitting duck after using Rest itself.

Heavenly Spoon

Smash Apprentice
NNID
HeavenlySpoon
I tried out some stuff, nothing being official or anything, just some quick tries because I felt like it.
My conclusions:
Luigi's up-B only makes the jiggly-sound when used on the ground, otherwise it just does minimal damage, rest can be used in mid-air and still kill, or at least do a lot of damage.
Ganon died at like 140% when using up-B right in front of him on the moving platform on the spear pillar stage and at around 150% on FD, either I'm doing something seriously wrong, or that really isn't what I call "stronger than rest".
It also killed jiggly at around 70%, and from what I heard, jiggly dies at 52% from a rest.
No DI involved in any of this.

But, yeah, no way are you going to punish a luigi when he hit you, and no way are you going to kill him when he missed, so it's way more practical, and rest is just far too situational and often suicidal now. It's a shame, I know.

Lucrece

Smash Apprentice
I wonder if they would be able to release an update through wi-fi on the game patching up the classes that were butchered into uselessness.

Peach is pretty sad right now.

HiddenBowser

Smash Master
@warriors: how does being gay give luigi an advantage?

You all need to stop *****ing about the luigi up b. The rest is still a better move imo. The rest is easy to land with, and after playing a bit of luigi, it seems that jiggs is easier to rest with than luigi is to up b. And anyways, rest does more damage, you don't have to be on the ground for it to kill, and it comes out faster.

Peach is bottom tier *****. (the last statement has nothing to do with how good the character is)

Lucrece

Smash Apprentice

You all need to stop *****ing about the luigi up b. The rest is still a better move imo. The rest is easy to land with, and after playing a bit of luigi, it seems that jiggs is easier to rest with than luigi is to up b. And anyways, rest does more damage, you don't have to be on the ground for it to kill, and it comes out faster.

Peach is bottom tier *****. (the last statement has nothing to do with how good the character is)
They beat the living crap out of the poor princess with that nerf bat, courtesy of Sakurai.

As for Luigi's charm: If he had C.Falcon or Snake's body while being gay, then yes, he'd have the advantage of distraction. For now, his charms are only those of comedic relief.

TheAmazingJordo

Smash Cadet
After my many rounds of friendlies, and resting all over the place (Especially on DeDeDe), I take what I said back; Luigi's UpB kills at lower percent- yeah, but Jiggly's Rest is still better. I now see the light Bowyer hah.

Pubik Vengeance

Smash Journeyman
They beat the living crap out of the poor princess with that nerf bat, courtesy of Sakurai.

As for Luigi's charm: If he had C.Falcon or Snake's body while being gay, then yes, he'd have the advantage of distraction. For now, his charms are only those of comedic relief.
Yeah they nerfed wierd characters for Brawl: Peach, C. Falcon, Ganondorf, Mario, JIGGS?!?!?

Really, there's no reason to live anymore.

NESSBOUNDER

Smash Master

Have you ever seen the jab-jab-up B combo? What does Jiggly have that can compare to that?

HiddenBowser

Smash Master
umm, hmm, how about, just a plain old rest without combo's in easier than landing a ****ing jab with luigi. Otherwise, like all her aerials can lead to rest, uair and dair are true combos, and i think i've seen a true combo bair to rest as well. Luigi up b ****ing sucks compared to jiggs rest. gtfo scrub.

Juicy

Smash Apprentice
umm, hmm, how about, just a plain old rest without combo's in easier than landing a ****ing jab with luigi. Otherwise, like all her aerials can lead to rest, uair and dair are true combos, and i think i've seen a true combo bair to rest as well. Luigi up b ****ing sucks compared to jiggs rest. gtfo scrub.
i dissagree, while sleep can be more veristile it has more drawbacks that super punch. it is less strong and easly punishable, but super punch is a stronger move, not as punishable as you would think, and can be easly used at the end of a combo (ie j-j-bup). remeber to also take in to effect that both sleep and super punch can be air dodged, but a good luigi player would usally wait till he is on the ground to use it anyway. also i think the effects of super punch in the air are about the same as sleep in the air (mabey a tad bit less, not 100% on that).

lastly when is luigi gay, luigis a hippy not gay. trippy indian sitar music is not gay, and i dig it man.

NESSBOUNDER

Smash Master
So what, a move with less range overall that has massive lag time even if you miss is easier to land than an attack that comes out way faster than the required human reaction time ANYWAY and has superior range with the ability to cancel should anything go wrong?

Pull the other one.

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
Luigi's third jump won't get him too far without being close to the ledge. However, it appears that the Green Missile doesn't slow down Luigi's descent anymore.

TheStig

Smash Lord
I like how the Dojo says:

"Ah, but compared to the last Smash Bros. game, Rest has had its power reduced, hasn’t it?"

Nice explanation Sakurai.

HiddenBowser

Smash Master
juicy: its a lot harder to land a jab with luigi than it is to land a rest with jiggs. Unless you've played jiggs at a high level, you probably wouldn't realize how easy it is to land.

nessbounder: you're a ******* if you think that the luigi up b comes out faster than the human reaction time. It comes out fast, but when you are expecting to get up b'ed you throw out your shield and the up b won't connect. Sure if you manage to land a jab, and good luck trying to land one when everyone is avoiding it, you'll land an up b, but overall, its going to be a lot harder to connect.

CyberGlitch

Smash Journeyman
I'd also like to point out that Luigi's Up B doubles as one of his recovery moves. This means he'll be forced to use it somewhat often and its knockback will be reduced (perhaps putting it as more or less equal to a fresh rest's knockback).

NESSBOUNDER

Smash Master
juicy: its a lot harder to land a jab with luigi than it is to land a rest with jiggs. Unless you've played jiggs at a high level, you probably wouldn't realize how easy it is to land.

nessbounder: you're a ******* if you think that the luigi up b comes out faster than the human reaction time. It comes out fast, but when you are expecting to get up b'ed you throw out your shield and the up b won't connect. Sure if you manage to land a jab, and good luck trying to land one when everyone is avoiding it, you'll land an up b, but overall, its going to be a lot harder to connect.
Human reaction time = 12 frames out of 60 frames.

Luigi's jab = something like 5 frames.

Flame uppercut = also something like 5 frames of startup.

lol wut? It's not as if anyone can just avoid a jab that gets thrown out randomly during a match. Why do you think everybody gets hit by Lucario and Ike's jabs all the time? Because even if you're expecting it, you can't block it on reaction.

Juicy

Smash Apprentice
its a lot harder to land a jab with luigi than it is to land a rest with jiggs. Unless you've played jiggs at a high level, you probably wouldn't realize how easy it is to land.
mabey it is, ive never really played jiggs competitivly so i wouldnt know just how easy sleep is to land. but as i said earlier luigi doesnt have the need to use it in the air since its more effective on the ground. on the ground luigi's punch is really easy to land with jab - b up so how difficult it is to do in the air is of no consequence.

look bottom line is both characters are good in their own aspects, both moves are usefull when used right so i see no use to argue about it. brawl has no tier list so any charcter can beat any character untill im proven wrong.

Juicy signing out

HiddenBowser

Smash Master
mabey it is, ive never really played jiggs competitivly so i wouldnt know just how easy sleep is to land. but as i said earlier luigi doesnt have the need to use it in the air since its more effective on the ground. on the ground luigi's punch is really easy to land with jab - b up so how difficult it is to do in the air is of no consequence.

look bottom line is both characters are good in their own aspects, both moves are usefull when used right so i see no use to argue about it. brawl has no tier list so any charcter can beat any character untill im proven wrong.

Juicy signing out
lol, when did I even mention landing it in the air? I said, and if you read the post that you quoted in your last post, its easier to land a rest than a luigi jab. From experience, when your opponent is actively avoiding a jab, its really hard land one, and its much harder to land than a rest is when your opponent is actively avoiding a rest.

And what the **** does a tier list have anything to do with what characters can beat other characters? Even if melee didn't have a tier list, fox and falco would still be the best 2 characters. And marth... he's a best character too.

UsernameLink

Smash Journeyman
lol, when did I even mention landing it in the air? I said, and if you read the post that you quoted in your last post, its easier to land a rest than a luigi jab. From experience, when your opponent is actively avoiding a jab, its really hard land one, and its much harder to land than a rest is when your opponent is actively avoiding a rest.

And what the **** does a tier list have anything to do with what characters can beat other characters? Even if melee didn't have a tier list, fox and falco would still be the best 2 characters. And marth... he's a best character too.
Hey, Luigis jab doesnt leave him wide open for and easy counter. Concider that at any point?

HiddenBowser

Smash Master
Just don't miss. Consider that at any point? Its not hard to hit with it, as I've been saying this whole time. If you miss, you shouldn't have rested.

A2ZOMG

Smash Legend
NNID
A2ZOMG
Switch FC
SW 8400 1713 9427
Yeah they nerfed wierd characters for Brawl: Peach, C. Falcon, Ganondorf, Mario, JIGGS?!?!?

Really, there's no reason to live anymore.
You're wrong. Mario is definitely better. Eggz says so.

Actually, I played him, and he is definitely better. His aerial game benefits from the new physics system now that he has so many attacks that autocancel. Fireballs are like a LOT better for approaching either because Mario moves faster or because they move slightly slower. His Up-B is a lot better as a defensive technique, and he's one of few characters that actually has good ledgeguarding strategies because of his decent aerial game and due to the FLUDD and Cape, which are both actually very effective for ledgeguarding in Brawl.

Luigi is top tier IMO. Jab to Up-B kills at like 50%, and stuff like that is really gay. Luigi also combos pretty well compared to most characters, and his recovery got a lot better.

As for Jiggs, counterpick on Delphino lol.

FSLink

Smash Journeyman
NNID
FSLink
For Mario, imo, he did get a few buffs, but there's just a lot of great characters in this game. >_> It's difficult for Mario to keep up since his stats are somewhat average. Yeah, he can kill better than in Melee, and his back air and down air are great, it's just that there's better characters out there that can out prioritize him. I'd say he has worse ledgeguarding ability since cape can't gimp kill anymore. Brawl encourages off the stage playing quite often, so it's not too difficult for someone to escape your cape and FLUDD in Brawl more easily. (Though I've pulled it off a few times, it's not as easy since so many characters have great recoveries now)
You could use FLUDD->Forward Air, or just Forward Air, but I find it comes out slower than in Melee...maybe just my imagination?

Just don't miss. Consider that at any point? Its not hard to hit with it, as I've been saying this whole time. If you miss, you shouldn't have rested.
....couldn't you say the same thing with Luigi? If you miss, you shouldn't have Up+B'd.
I'd also like to point out that Luigi's Up B doubles as one of his recovery moves. This means he'll be forced to use it somewhat often and its knockback will be reduced (perhaps putting it as more or less equal to a fresh rest's knockback).
Luigi's Down+B's much better for recovery, usually Up+B isn't needed...unless you're trying to touch the ledge exactly.

Okesoke

Smash Apprentice
Luigi's ^b is far better because it is so much easier to pull off. It kills @ lower percents only on the ground, Jiggle's rest is better in the air, but how simple the ^b with luigi is to pull of on the ground killing most chars @ 60% easily, no pink mushroom can do that. After saying this it is a shame, seeing someone being teched into a rest in melee was one of the coolest things..... I think to make up for this they should of given jiggles her marker >.>

Top Bottom