• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Lv 9 Comps = Ken

sh1nebl1nd

Smash Rookie
Is it just me or are the level 9 computers just crazy hard now... This is coming from someone who beat SSE on insane mode when I got the game easily... (I find that a good feat..)

I've been trying to kill a Lv.9 Wolf with my Marth, G&W, Olimar, Snake, and EVERYONE. Terribly impossible, it comes to 1v1 with both of us 150% and he dodges EVERYTHING. Good lord.

But I guess this is a good thing, since all I have to train is computers since WiFi sucks currently.

rigapeen

Smash Apprentice
yeah, i think Ike is probably the hardest CPU. after a while they'll all be easy when we know every character's moveset: what has priority, what the range of this is, how much knockback i'll expect after x previous uses of this attack.

wifi doesnt suck btw.

-sonny-

Smash Journeyman
I really don't think that Level 9 computers are that difficult. I agree that they're MUCH tougher to beat than in Melee, and that the AI is much smarter, but even so, they tend to make stupid mistakes that are easily punishable. If you rush in and spam attacks, you'll lose. If you carefully space yourself and wait for an opening, then you should be able to win.

sh1nebl1nd

Smash Rookie
yeah, i think Ike is probably the hardest CPU. after a while they'll all be easy when we know every character's moveset: what has priority, what the range of this is, how much knockback i'll expect after x previous uses of this attack.

wifi doesnt suck btw.
The "With Anyone" feature takes forever to find someone to play with, I know someone who waited for 45 minutes to find the game only to have 1 minute lag spikes in between his match.

Also, if you try to verse your friends (my friend who lives about 2 blocks away) there is still about 1 second lag that takes away all point of practice in training mode since your timing and muscle memory is screwed up. Not to mention the random errors disconnecting you every two matches.

Until Ninty fixes their servers, the WiFi sucks. Period.

Zevox

Smash Lord
sh1nebl1nd said:
Is it just me or are the level 9 computers just crazy hard now...
Its just you. I still 3-stock them regularly as my main, and almost always beat them as anyone else I'm any good with. And I'm not even a truly competitive player.

Zevox

Jeff Highwind

Smash Ace
Way too easy, and I'm hardly a competitive player.

CPU's are predictable, and their play-style doesnt vary the number of times you play them either.

sh1nebl1nd

Smash Rookie
Oh yeah, should have been more clear. The lv 9's have really gotten better but the thing is Wolf is kicking my *** for some reason... I can 2-3 stock anyone else easy, but Wolf is just pwning me up...

Supax

Smash Apprentice
Harder then melee, but still predictable. When I first got the game they seemed hard and frustrating to kill, but now you just need to know what to do. A lot of times you have to camp and wait until they make a mistake to put damage on them though.

superninja

Smash Cadet
I personally LOVE how much better the AI is. I remember taking on lvl 9's in melee like popcorn, and having almost no problems (just 1 on 1, mind you). And also, does anybody know exactly what level they think wolf was on when you fought him to unlock him for the first time? I actually lost twice before I got him...

Rebel581

Smash Champion
The CPU's didn't get better. They became more human-like, but with that, they also got our flaws. They are missing our features though, such as learning. So IMO, they are now easier. You can't CPU abuse as easily, but you can just trounce and walk over them.

Zek

Smash Ace
L9 CPUs are pretty solid if you play them as if they were humans. But yeah, they're still CPUs and they'll still get owned by cheap tactics when you figure out how they work.

StellaNova

Smash Journeyman
easy peasy lemon squeezy. a friend told me they were insane on 9. when i tried it, i found them to be quite the opposite. they still have crazy grabs and such, but no where near being difficult to defeat

Tabris-

Smash Apprentice
I thought they got quite a bit easier. Apart from occasionaly pulling off a decent edgeguard.

XtremeCJ

Smash Apprentice
Team brawling against 3 teamed up lvl9ers is now much more difficult than it was in Melée. Especially since they're not always waiting til you're on the platform again after a recovery. But I have to say that I didn't train myself up to 3 lvl9ers, I just chose them after a few days of Brawling. Normally I start with 3 lvl4s, and once I beat them, I make one of them lvl5. And so I continue til I'm at the highest level. And of course no friendly fire ;).

ObeseNightmare

Smash Cadet
The "With Anyone" feature takes forever to find someone to play with, I know someone who waited for 45 minutes to find the game only to have 1 minute lag spikes in between his match.

Also, if you try to verse your friends (my friend who lives about 2 blocks away) there is still about 1 second lag that takes away all point of practice in training mode since your timing and muscle memory is screwed up. Not to mention the random errors disconnecting you every two matches.

I'm just happy to play with people worldwide, lag or not.

Ojanya

Smash Ace
The CPU's didn't get better. They became more human-like, but with that, they also got our flaws. They are missing our features though, such as learning. So IMO, they are now easier. You can't CPU abuse as easily, but you can just trounce and walk over them.
Right, and without advanced techs, the skill range is closer, technically making them harder as well.

Iraku

Smash Cadet
Eh, I have to agree with everyone else. CPU players do seem easier, but they're less stupid. In Melee, for example, if you keep away a good distance from a Level 9 Yoshi, and let 'em get near you, he will ALWAYS use his side-B on you. Luigi would always spam his side-B as well, some characters stop and fire lasers or fireballs at you when walking towards you, etc.. So far, I haven't noticed anything like this from anyone in SSBB (although, they do jump around a lot), and it seems that they don't go all the way across the stage for a Pokéball. I think this is a good thing.

Rusty Shacklefurd

Smash Lord
South-east of New Zealand, and no, you'll never fi
CPUs got better at 2 things, projectile spam and item whoring. It used to be CPUs almost never used projetiles, now when they have room they spam all the time. Also, a CPU with a superscope is really annoying. It just runs away while shooting you. Aside from that, they became way more defensive, which I find makes them way easier to force into stupid situations. Like on Intense Classic mode, whenever you do the giant melee, if there's a walk off ledge, all you have to do is rush him and in the first few seconds he'll just roll backwards off screen and die. Also, floaty characters will jump on spot off the edge of the course until they run out of jumps to recover, which means all you have to do is wait for them to get to their last jump, then peg 'em with something like a capsule and they pretty much just fall to their death. All that, and Yoshi won't up B to recover, major oversight.

DRaGZ

Smash Champion
The comps are definitely a lot smarter...but they're still easily defeatable. They're very good at forcing gimps now, though.

DeuceBlade

Smash Champion
When I first played them they were definitely much better and smarter than in melee... but after a while they become more predictable.. thats not to say they are bad.

Snailboto

Smash Rookie
Actually I agree on the wolf part. It took me a few times to beat him on SSE until finally a pokemon actually killed him.

CT Chia

Smash Obsessed
theyr much better this time, but still not that great. i beat em consistantly. they do a lot more technical stuff now. cpu fox's shine spike haha

vonfinell

Smash Apprentice
I played a Lvl 9 Wolf and I beat him on my first try. Admittedly, it was close, but I don't think they're that much more difficult than in Melee.

However, they are much more powerful and I'm glad that they're more of a challenge than they were in Melee.

But I guess some people are just better at some things. Props on the Intense SSE.

Dial-Up

Smash Journeyman

So COMPLETELY true. That guy doesn't know what he's talking about. The Wi-Fi is horrid. I can't believe I waited so long for Wi-Fi, and we get this. Hopefully it fixes soon... And the muscle memory thing is so true. I didn't even know such a person existed that says the Wi-Fi for Brawl is good...

fuzzy4

Smash Cadet
Is it just me or are the level 9 computers just crazy hard now... This is coming from someone who beat SSE on insane mode when I got the game easily... (I find that a good feat..)

I've been trying to kill a Lv.9 Wolf with my Marth, G&W, Olimar, Snake, and EVERYONE. Terribly impossible, it comes to 1v1 with both of us 150% and he dodges EVERYTHING. Good lord.

But I guess this is a good thing, since all I have to train is computers since WiFi sucks currently.
I can only beat level 9s with Diddy. Wario, Sonic, and Toon Link are my other mains, and I fiddle around with everyone else. I can beat a lvl 9 with diddy 90% of the time, with maybe 1 loss here and there. Wario and sonic i've done it twice out of 45 games (lol). Toon link I haven't yet. I'd say either the computers are harder (which they definately seem to know exactly whats coming) or it's just because we haveta adapt our playstyle to the new game mechanics. For example, theres a LOT more air dodging and sidestepping than i'm used to. Also grabs work a bit differently.

Dial-Up

Smash Journeyman
I personally LOVE how much better the AI is. I remember taking on lvl 9's in melee like popcorn, and having almost no problems (just 1 on 1, mind you). And also, does anybody know exactly what level they think wolf was on when you fought him to unlock him for the first time? I actually lost twice before I got him...
I find thois odd. I beat wolf, (close, but beat him) my first try. It's Toon Link that gave me all the problems. I lost 3 times! He was ridiculous for me, but that was when I was using Fox, who I'm not so great with.

Riolu

Smash Apprentice
If the level 9 cpus = ken, then I better sign up for the next major tournament.

But seriously, it seems like they have improved and I couldn't be happier about it.

6footninja

Smash Ace
Good way to put it. Summing up everyones stand points with a reasonable answer. Nice job, heh.

Top Bottom