• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

M.A.S: EPIC CHARACTERS ARE EPIC! 08/21/2010 Winthrop Harbor, IL

hunger!

Smash Champion
how is that "high maintenance"? $10 singles/$20 teams is STANDARD. Thats why i don't get why people are treating Brawl Doubles on the same level as say....mid tiers or b-/+. Makes no sense. you can't just blame the smash community, other game communities do this shiit too.

whole cancel thing blows though. but im pretty sure whoever was doing the points lost track of those a while back so the seeding wouldn't have been right...unless im mistaken.

illboyzeus

Smash Ace
you don't get that much better playing in tounies imo, Its the wofk you do out of one that matters. Dunno if this applies to brawl but Zhu gave me some good advice. Master your style/fundamentals/tech against people next to you or worst so that when you play a better opponent its pretty much just reading him. Everyone has patterns and its easier to see when you have confidence in your game. Stop complaining and get better, A tournet isnt really to give you playing time, its a barometer of who is the best that day. If you want to play do friendlies

Arty

Smash Lord
The last Don't Blink had 30 people enter doubles when it was $5. That's the most I've ever seen at a somewhat local tourney. (There were a few MI). There were only 30 singles entrants too so almost everyone entered doubles.

The pot is actually somewhat the same. With $10 dubs at locals, you get about 7-10 teams entering. Now you have regular doubles players like Jordan and Wafles that are saying they won't enter doubles if it's $10.

You also have to take into account that most singles tournies have pools. Doubles doesn't have that so a lot of people don't feel like they're getting their money's worth.

$5 seems like the better option, at least for now. It doesn't discourage competition since the pot is still pretty big, and almost everyone enters because of the lower fee and the fact that Brawl doubles is probably more fun than singles. I say let's try it. I can almost guarantee that more than 12 teams will enter.

#HBC | Red Ryu

Red Fox Warrior
NNID
RedRyu_Smash
3DS FC
0344-9312-3352
Hunger - I'm paying you $10 to play whoever you're teaming with and then Marshall and Grimace. No matter what you say, that's what I'm doing. I could get just as much experience getting ***** in a $5 tournament than I could getting ***** in a $10 tournament. Literally the only difference to me is how much you guys ***** about the payout.

Simply putting time into doubles really doesn't help. I could play doubles with 3 CPUs all day every day and I wouldn't learn ****, I'd have to play doubles with decent (at least) players, and even then, you guys are vastly better at singles, which translates well into doubles.

Hell, I entered MLG's $10 doubles because I thought we'd get some good experience. I really don't care that I'm not making money - I don't expect that to happen ever, or at least any time soon - but I'm done paying $10 to play your two teams, with MAYBE another thrown in there. If MAS was getting the turnouts / amount of teams it did at the end of last year, then I'd be cool with it, but there's no point in losing badly to the same teams every single tournament.

The M2k/Ally logic doesn't make sense. If you're entering a national, that's pretty much consent for the other teams to play hard. If you expect people to sandbag you, that's just ********. Hell, I entered MLG's $10 doubles knowing full well I wouldn't make it out of second round losers. The thing is, you guys **** us WHILE sandbagging. And I'm paying you $10 to do so. "You only get better by paying more" doesn't work there.

And btw, Waukesha plays more doubles than it does singles when we have at least 4 people. It's easily my favorite way to play the game, it's just not fun or worth it playing against you guys who sit there and bend us over without even trying.
I understand your frustration, I pretty much have the same problem since I place pretty much equivalent to you. Hell I don't like losing to Meneil 3 times in one day in events, even in the M.A.S. before that one I lost to her 2-3 times, but I have to suck it up and learn to play against her better.

The problem is still the fact it's ultimately our fault for not doing better. Even when I lose horribly I still look for ways to improve, I think saying you learn little from tournaments is a load of crap. I learn my weaknesses from losing by looking back and seeing what I did wrong.

I lost to Sago last time because using his words, "nice Luca, you Might want to work on approaching mixups" and he's right I try to approach with Fair way too much with Lucario. Arty even pointed out that playing CPU's is such a waste when multiple people are available for friendlies all around.

Well here's pretty much my advice as your friend.

1. We could not enter $10 doubles if it's frustrating you, I still want to enter but I'll have to find another partner and your too pro of a partner. ;_;. I say we could do MM's instead, Arty gave me advice when I first did a money match with him, Akashi told me a trick against Snake, DLA ***** me hard and told me my Lucario> my Link which lead me to making the choice of going more Lucario than Link. Money matches can hekp if you ask people for advice, some people may not do this but it's worth trying. Hell I challenged people to money matches for the purpose of learning even if I wasn't sure I was going to win, and it worked out for me.

2. We could work on making our doubles game better, I promise I won't screw around with other characters I won't use in a doubles game or even use characters like ZSS or Snake when my Lucario is a much better choice.

Now I personally don't care if it is $5 or $10, but I do agree they have a point in the fact we do need to improve, if they sandbag us then we beat then while they are sandbagging to make them take us seriously.

I hope this helps, if I'm wrong about this then tell me.

:lucario::link2:

SimaMatt

Smash Journeyman
I caught glimpse of Kenni's post before he edited it and it reminded me of this.

Really sorry to hear about the cafe closing Webster, it was a great place with a laid back atmosphere >:

Eddie G

Smash Hero
NNID
neohmarth216
I might head over to this. How do turnouts normally look?

I love Illinois; Gino's Pizza place over there ftw

KenniSpam!

Smash Master
I had a car accident today, no one was hurt but i wont have any extra money for a looooong time. Idk if ill ever be able to go to tournies again

Thanks for the memories everyone

Dajayman

Banned via Administration
Yes.

It will be around $2000 in repairs (mostly on the other car so i feel really bad ;_; )

Edit. You know you're a bum when jared tells you to get a job
Even bums make more money than you. Some bums make so much money on the street they can afford to room in a cheap motel and still pay for their crack addiction.

#HBC | Red Ryu

Red Fox Warrior
NNID
RedRyu_Smash
3DS FC
0344-9312-3352
I had a car accident today, no one was hurt but i wont have any extra money for a looooong time. Idk if ill ever be able to go to tournies again

Thanks for the memories everyone
See you next week.

Ok seriously hope it works out and you can attend these again. I seriously love playing against your Falcon/Sheik/(maybe MK).

Devildigimon

Smash Lord
O.K. where is this gonna be?
If not at the cafe
There is a community center to the east of the the venue. literally across the parking lot of the old venue. i'm going to check out the temp venue and once i finalize it being legit, i'll update the first post.

Really sorry to hear about the cafe closing Webster, it was a great place with a laid back atmosphere >:
Thanks. Losing that venue really ****ing sucks. :(

IN THE MEANTIME...

EVERYONE PLAY BLAZBLUE: CONTINUM SHIFT!!!

Oro?!

Smash Hero
Yo Web, we did like an impromtu Tourney today, and me and Kirk had 2 pretty **** good sets, he got the best of me, and **** has he improved. **** you and your PSN training!!!

Top Bottom