• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Madison tournament featuring CACTUAR"S EXPERIMENTAL RULESET Results

Xtra

Smash Ace
yah, i played teams on venom, and big blue w/ bunny hoods. all consensual.

zicore- i dont think i've seen you since hj4! lol awesome seein ya again! we need to get some games in next time.
mundungu- your fox is getting pretty wily! missed your ganon tho...
spikes- we'll have to hang out before you leave. but im still pumped to visit!
orly- we friendlied before the tourney started. you seem like a fun guy. i wish when i started there were more easily approachable players like yourself. i remember some real *******s.
toast- like i said, thats 2 more wins than we walked in with!
lightsoutace- nice meeting you. good games. games tourney.
frootloop- props! next time we'll have to play!

LightsOutAce

Smash Ace
Yeah, Temple is banned in both singles and doubles in Cactuar's original post; I just thought it wasn't a problem in teams, and it wasn't.

Who timed you out in teams?

FrootLoop

Smash Lord
this tourney:
NFL Blitz 2000
Diddy kong racing
goldeneye 64
2 Jank stage tourneys
Special mode tourney
pizza provided
started at 1:30 and done before 11
nice, free venue
ample chairs/tables/outlets
extra setups
stream
stacked pools
many recording setups
project: M develop build
10 minute walk from my house

how do other states locals even hope to compete?
[COLLAPSE="spoilers"]they dont[/COLLAPSE]

how can it get any better?
[COLLAPSE="spoilers"]pancake stamina
special mode teams[/COLLAPSE]

WI da bess

MonkUnit

Project M Back Roomer
What exactly is 'Pancake Stamina'?

+1 support for Special Mode teams.

EDIT: BTW, the Wii that I brought that was USB loading Brawl also had other games people could've played. These include Goldeneye Wii, TvC, Guilty Gear Accent Core, Bit Trip Runner, and more.

eighteenspikes

Smash Master
I just thought it wasn't a problem in teams, and it wasn't.
Just because you didn't see it, or it didn't happen to you, or it only happened once, or whatever leap of logic influenced your belief that Hyrule Temple on teams "wasn't a problem", you're objectively wrong.

I got a kill in a 2v1 and then got camped for a minute by chris running in circles from my Yoshi. That set was for money. It was a problem.

ORLY

Smash Master
lol sorry spikes

it was only game 1 though, IIRC

yoshi is scary when you don't know what to do

Cactuar

El Fuego
BRoomer
lol at dis ***** not knowing he own ruleset
I meant in singles. Didn't realize that happened to you in teams.

That was pretty expected in a teams game, and at the same time, it is expected that you keep the faster player of the two alive to fight the 1v2 at the end, else you will get stalled to time. It is a solid teams strategy, and it only works on 1 out of the opponents 3 counterpicks.

You agreed to it, so suck it up you big baby. (jk, <3)

Temple as a counterpick makes any character able to be stalled out by any other character that is faster at navigating the circle. As you increase the speed of your character choice, your opponent needs to recognize how fast your character is, and select one that is either faster or the same speed, or they will risk losing due to circlestall. It isn't a strategy with a lot of depth or a high skill demand, so it is most definitely banned in singles and doubles. Though, you'd be surprised how much fun it is to play FoxTag on hyrule for 3 minutes man.

sanchaz

Smash Lord
Temple as a counterpick makes any character able to be stalled out by any other character that is faster at navigating the circle. As you increase the speed of your character choice, your opponent needs to recognize how fast your character is, and select one that is either faster or the same speed, or they will risk losing due to circlestall.
your logic is trash! "risk losing due to circlestall?" that's ****ing ********.

Your rule set will never be used at a regional/national. Stick to the one we have. We should only add mute city to the current ruleset, but that's it.

Never playing with this *** **** **** ******* ***** ruleset again. Thanks for wasting my time.

Team Moonwalk

Cactuar

El Fuego
BRoomer
You an idiot or something? My logic is actually 100% correct. You risk losing from circle stalling unless you are either the same speed or faster than your opponent.

This also isn't my ruleset as you guys have advertised. It is a two stock 3 minute ruleset concept that you guys tested out in its infancy. The current ruleset took 10 years of play to reach. You played this one at its first tournament use ever and have the ignorance to make comments like that? Everyone else has been really helpful. You have just been hateful for no real reason.

Wake

Smash Master
your logic is trash! "risk losing due to circlestall?" that's ****ing ********.

Your rule set will never be used at a regional/national. Stick to the one we have. We should only add mute city to the current ruleset, but that's it.

Never playing with this *** **** **** ******* ***** ruleset again. Thanks for wasting my time.

Team Moonwalk
I still wanna try this ruleset. The stream looked pretty interesting. I felt bad for people getting timed out on Hyrule haha

Also, "Thanks for wasting my time?" As if you were forced to play with this ruleset...

ORLY

Smash Master
i thought it was fun

any ruleset where i can play on any stage i wish is fun

ORLY

Smash Master
if the ruleset is made into a side event, i'll try and make it up there in a WI carpool

haven't been to MN in years

MonkUnit

Project M Back Roomer
With this ruleset, I felt that I had more fun because I had more stages to choose from rather than the stock count / time changes. The stock / time changes were too much for me. It felt like people got too much of an advantage for taking off one stock and having the ability to run away / camp for the rest of the time if they so choose.

However, I wouldn't mind using the regular 4 stock / 8 minute ruleset with added stages such as Corneria, MKII, KJ64, etc. Those were fun to play on but not as stupid as a stage such as Flatzone.

E: I wouldn't mind using Cactuar's ruleset as a side event though. I'd prefer to try out 3 stock / 6 minutes or something like that instead though.

eighteenspikes

Smash Master
Temple as a counterpick makes any character able to be stalled out by any other character that is faster at navigating the circle. As you increase the speed of your character choice, your opponent needs to recognize how fast your character is, and select one that is either faster or the same speed, or they will risk losing due to circlestall. It isn't a strategy with a lot of depth or a high skill demand, so it is most definitely banned in singles and doubles. Though, you'd be surprised how much fun it is to play FoxTag on hyrule for 3 minutes man.
I wont push the issue since you think it should be banned, but on the tiny chance you're not trolling: while the logic is "100% correct", it's horrible for the metagame. It's like saying "well, ANYONE can go akuma in sf2, so there's no reason to ban him" or mk in brawl or so on.

sanchaz

Smash Lord
You an idiot or something? My logic is actually 100% correct. You risk losing from circle stalling unless you are either the same speed or faster than your opponent.

This also isn't my ruleset as you guys have advertised. It is a two stock 3 minute ruleset concept that you guys tested out in its infancy. The current ruleset took 10 years of play to reach. You played this one at its first tournament use ever and have the ignorance to make comments like that? Everyone else has been really helpful. You have just been hateful for no real reason.
I had a rough day yesterday. that came off a little harsh. sorry. jesus, I sounded like a fool.

I don't see a reason to use your suggested ruleset. there's nothing wrong with the current one.

Cactuar

El Fuego
BRoomer
I shouldn't have made that idiot comment. People have bad days, its no problem dude.

I haven't ever tried to give a reason to use this one over the standard, just as an alternative. They both do the same thing when it comes to output. It is really only about what you feel you like or not. This has happened to give me a lot of motivation to improve recently, in part because I'm viewing the game really differently, so I've been relearning everything from scratch.

@eighteenspikes: Yeah, my logic behind banning it is that it is horrible for the metagame. The logic that I was referring to in that post is if you happened to be doing character selection for temple, not logic for making temple legal.

@Monk: You'll find that counterpick stages get more gay when you have more stock/fewer matches in the set, but they are still really fun to play on. I just don't recommend CPs for 4 stock tournament use, but I wish people would play them more in friendlies at least. :(

LightsOutAce

Smash Ace
If anyone else runs a tournament with this format, I would recommend as BANNED:

singles: Icicle Mountain, Flat Zone, Hyrule Temple, Great Bay, Yoshi's Island Pipes, Flat Zone, Big Blue, Yoshi's Island 64, Venom, Fourside, Onett, Brinstar Depths

doubles: icicle Mountain, Flat Zone, Hyrule Temple, Yoshi's Island Pipes, Flat Zone, Big Blue, Venom, Fountain of Dreams, Mute City, Brinstar Depths

DLA

"Their anguish was my nourishment."
NNID
DLAhhh
nah this region is too good at melee, I get pooped upon

Zicore

Smash Champion
I agree that this does nothing to improve the game. But damn it was hella fun counterpicking Peachs castle/Onett/Mk2/Flatzone/Green Greens again. I agree with ORLY, any tourney that I can do that is fun as ****.

That being said, I would never spend money on it again, unless it was like, 2 bucks or something. Thankfully it was only like, 12 people in pools or some ****. Not 50.

Cactuar, I'm disappointed you didn't come out here to test the rules yourself :p

Top Bottom