• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Data Mah0ne's Stuff about Puff

Metà

Smash Master
My comment was directed at excessive ledgestalling, an implication I must not have made very clear.

I have never seen a match where M2K or Amsah chilled on the ledge for an excessive period of time while their opponent was well out of retaliation range on the other side of the screen. I see sheiks ledgestall frequently, but I've only encountered 1 or 2 who I would consider to be doing it excessively.

When I see it, I lower my opinion of them pretty substantially. If I see someone like M2K or Amsah doing it, I will still (at least) call them an *******.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yI_hGcWjTKA

Bing

Smash Master
I remember when SFAT did it in a crews match for like a minute straight when he was on his last stock high percentage.

The commentators were like "Your **** is shrinking everytime you plank..*10 seconds later* Zach you officially have an innie!"

-LzR-

Smash Hero
Well I have no problem even if Sheik is doing her planking for 3 hours straight. It's definitely beatable isn't it?

Mahone

Smash Champion
Yo lzr, Sorry my advice is late, but i think you can grab the ledge from offstage against sheik... Like use a couple jumps and maybe a platform to go high to avoid the "poofing", then just hover close to the ledge offstage and grab it at the right time...

-LzR-

Smash Hero
But... Why would Sheik plank if I am offstage? I was talking about when they are on the ledge and I am onstage. I haven't had to deal with offstage planking yet, but I'll keep that in mind.

Mahone

Smash Champion
im saying... ur onstage, then you go offstage to force her to stop... of course, she could just go to the other side and plank, but then i think it would be really obv. that she's stalling

Krynxe

I can't pronounce it either
3DS FC
4511-0472-1729
Sheik's ledgehop bair is really good at keeping puff back though, so maybe approaching a little lower would help. (if offstage)

Like I said before, when it comes to sheik doing her normal planking, just bait her into coming back onto the stage and punish. Sheik can't plank very well vs puff, you can get ridiculously close to the edge while being safe and when your attacks connect you get a free kill. Just stay at about that bair length away from the ledge itself. Whenever sheik ledgehops with an up+b to regrab the ledge, do a shffl bair. (Make sure you do not get hit by the up+b's explosion hitbox, because that gives them opportunities to regain control and usually a free hit on you.) Right before/as they regrab the ledge, reposition yourself, duck, and be prepared to WD back if they waveland onto the stage or something. When you're ducking at that right distance, they can't really do anything to puff safely but you'll still be in range to hit them. Don't show your impatience to the opponent, if you just randomly approach when the sheik's on the ledge than they'll know it works and keep doing it. Just be patient and make them feel really uncomfortable on the ledge, making them doubt themselves and their strategy. If nothing else, the sheik is bound to mess up eventually.

I woke up like 2 minutes ago so this is probably terribly written. I hope it helps a bit though. :)

Smasher89

Smash Lord
Just ledgcancel a nair through shieks nair and the up b wont do anything more then clinch. When you get a pressuring position. I think that should work (wont work against puff since she can space her bair from the ledge and still be safe^^).

So took 3rd for first time in a good legit teams tournament with good players. One problem though, faced a ganon, and got a few rests and he didnt die, any thoughs about playing against ganon in teams?

idea

Smash Master
jman started it <_<

against ganon...well, he's easy to rest in both singles and teams. you probably just need to be more careful about percentages/which side of the stage he's on. he doesn't die from every rest you can get, but above like 20-30% it's pretty unlikely he'll survive, unless you rest him and he flies in the wrong direction, or it's dreamland. or he goes exactly into the top corner of FoD. it'd probably be fine to just throw in a few more bairs before focusing on resting him.

also, it's not completely terrible to rest him and have him not die, he's still offstage and unable to help his partner for a long time, possibly only to return and get hit off again. it might even be better to overall focus on double-teaming the other character, and just hit ganon away when he's going to be a nuisance. depends on the ganon player. i wouldn't do that too much vs. kage because he's really good at interrupting you if you leave him alone for too long, but yeah.

a lot of teams are like that, you have the "main" player/character, and the one who tries to harass you and go for quick kills (jiggs/sometimes ganon/etc.). a lot of people like to hit jigglypuff away and avoid fighting her as much as possible, since she's hard to kill...the same could work for ganon. whenever i play a team with a doc, i pretty much ignore the doc :p

-LzR-

Smash Hero
I like how many answers I'm getting for such a simple and dumb question. The Puff board is awesome.

Bieber

Smash Apprentice
what up fellow puffers

i've been playing melee for a few months now so i thought it was about time to join the boards and bring a little bit more of that puff gayness to the world

i go to school with darkatma (one of the best smashers in the midwest) and i have vids of a couple recent sets against him, if anyone would be down to give me some critique that would be awesome (advice from good puffs, advice from bad puffs, general advice, specifics, i don't care, i'll take it all):

me beating darkatma's falco 3-1 http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5UOx3ZmYCGs
me losing to darkatma's marth 1-3 http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HVNZo4AhEys
me getting ***** by darkatma's fox 0-3 http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IiQVY71O-Gc

i feel pretty comfortable against falco, but i still kinda struggle against marth and i'm straight up awful against fox so any critique for those two sets especially is super appreciated

i'm excited to join in on the puff board goodness

<3 puff

/1st post

Massive

Smash Champion
Are you the dude I had to puff ditto in bracket at SMYM?
That match was dreadful... lol

I'm pretty sure I mentioned this too you when you asked for pointers after our match, but you're still doing that thing you were doing at SMYM, which is just single jump aerials.

You're not able to put very much pressure on your opponent because they know you're going to land after the aerial, and thus can easily predict it. Fix that and you're going to start doing substantially better in short order.

You already appear to be better at resting dudes than I am, lol.

Bieber

Smash Apprentice
yeah that was me...good times. that was like my first time playing puff dittos, i figured the ditto would be kinda stupid but hooooly **** i was not expecting it to be that gay (the stuff you told me about how to recover against puff was mad helpful though so thanks for that)

mmm yeah i guess i do love my single hop aerials, thanks for pointing that out i'll definitely work on mixing it up with some double, triple, quadruple, and whatever comes after quadruple hop aerials. for some characters though, especially marth with his fair/uair and falcon with his uair, it seems like if i start using more of my jumps they can just get under me and swat me out of the air when i'm floating around like that. this probably sounds like a stupid question but how exactly should i be using my multiple jumps?

Massive

Smash Champion
mmm yeah i guess i do love my single hop aerials, thanks for pointing that out i'll definitely work on mixing it up with some double, triple, quadruple, and whatever comes after quadruple hop aerials. for some characters though, especially marth with his fair/uair and falcon with his uair, it seems like if i start using more of my jumps they can just get under me and swat me out of the air when i'm floating around like that. this probably sounds like a stupid question but how exactly should i be using my multiple jumps?
It's all situational. Against characters like fox and falco, you want to try to cut off approaches from above you by stuffing them with aerials (usually bair). Spacy player strategies almost always prefer you to be below them so they can use their safe approach/attack options on you. If you stay at the same height as their approach or a bit above them, their options become much more limited. Since both fox and falco have better vertical mobility than jiggs, you're going to need to use at least 2 jumps to stop a fullhop nair/dair/bair from either of them.

Jigglypuff can't dashdance well on the ground, but with multiple jumps you can basically do it in midair. You can use this against characters like marth by attacking and backing out of fair/fsmash range before he can get out of shield. The other real trick against marth is to do aerials and land behind him while he's in shield. He only has 3 functional options here (fsmash/tilt/attack, up-b, roll/wavedash), and even less if you start utilting his shield or duck. Against falcon the only real advice I can give you is to duck, bair outranges most of his aerials, and don't get grabbed (un-escapable knee).

Mahone

Smash Champion
>sees one type of humor on a website
>goes to any other site on the internet
>uses the same type of humor
>turns off computer and goes to class
>joins skype chat with other puff players
>MFW

ShroudedOne

Smash Hero
Premium
>sees one type of humor on a website
>goes to any other site on the internet
>turns off computer and goes to class
>joins skype chat with other puff players
>MFW
<3's forever, Mahone.

FoxLisk

Smash Lord
what i like. is to wait directly under the platform to cover tech in place or missed tech with a rest, then if they techroll you still have plenty of time to waveland and get a re-grab
Wtf who names himself bieber and uses the banana album for an avatar

:phone:

Top Bottom