• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Make Your Move 13 - Most Recent Movesets: The Advertisement Period Begins

Kholdstare

Nightmare Weaver
Speaking of, I was thinking MYM should expand to other games to avoid dying off and inbreeding to the point of nobody new coming into the contest. We're a dying breed. The main problem is learning the mechanics of other games to the point where we could do MYMs of other games. This is a good start.

ProfPeanut

Smash Ace
Considering that we're in a Smash Bros. forum, Khold, that might not be very fruitful. We'd have to spread MYM to other game forums, and that's not considering the rules and subtleties we'd have to learn for each game implemented. Perhaps we ought to look for more people with time and creativity instead?

Davidreamcatcha

Smash Ace
Peanut is not allowed to have an opinion on anything MYM-related.

It's always struck me as a decent idea, especially considering that I actually liked Tirk's MYM6 Mario. Though to be honest - I'd want to focus on raising activity here first, and devoting those movesets to separate threads.

Kholdstare

Nightmare Weaver
Considering that we're in a Smash Bros. forum, Khold, that might not be very fruitful. We'd have to spread MYM to other game forums, and that's not considering the rules and subtleties we'd have to learn for each game implemented.
That's... exactly what I said. You basically just restated what I said. What's your point?

The Warrior of Many Faces

Smash Apprentice
Everywhere and nowhere, as location is meaningless
That's... exactly what I said. You basically just restated what I said. What's your point?
It's the "not very fruitful" part that's his point, I think. It would appear that Peanut and I, at least, don't want to expend the effort to figure out any other systems well enough to MYM them. (Not that I'm doing much MYMing these days thanks to college madness, but it's the principle of the thing.)

ForwardArrow

Smash Ace
Peanut is not allowed to have an opinion on anything MYM-related.

It's always struck me as a decent idea, especially considering that I actually liked Tirk's MYM6 Mario. Though to be honest - I'd want to focus on raising activity here first, and devoting those movesets to separate threads.
Peanut's made a good number of well liked sets and spent his share of time in the community. Missing one deadline does not mean "he's not allowed to have an opinion on anything MYM-related."

Kholdstare

Nightmare Weaver
We treat Smash Bros. like the Westboro Baptist Church treats the Bible. We say we follow it but instead we just do whatever our organization has grown to like.

ForwardArrow

Smash Ace
Don't worry too much about it, we'll probably continue on our merry way with what we've been doing. Things will probably be normal when you get back to full activity.

n88

Smash Lord
What's this? Actual conversation in the thread? I highly approve of both this bizarre occurrence and the subject matter of this discussion.

JOE!

Smash Hero
Well, what other games would be viable to make sets for? Seeing as we're in the Smash World Forums, wouldn't it be odd if we suddenly had like 2 dudes making just BlazBlue sets?

ProfPeanut

Smash Ace
No, no, my point was that implementing other games into MYM wouldn't work very well if we still remained with the SWF. I imagine it wouldn't be hard to advertise outside of it anyway, but it'd be easier in the long run if we stuck to the not-as-complex-as-others Smash Bros. formulas and simply focused on finding people who'd be interested in making such things up, since those people are the ones who'd join such things in the first place. Also see Joe's point.

Hyper_Ridley

Smash Champion
I reckon we'll get more activity when Smash Bros 4 is released and there's a brand new engine to exploit. Heck, if the game somehow goes through drastic changes, I could see myself redoing some of my old movesets to fit in the new game.

Davidreamcatcha

Smash Ace
Nah, FA. It's more the part where the dropout took place a week in advance. And he specifically told the one member he did tell not to tell anyone else. That's just not using basic manners.

Playstation All-Stars and UMvC3 seem like good places to start in an expansion, as the community seems to be most familiar with those.

:phone:

Smady

Smash Master
This tangent is really pointless.

Smash has always been so appealing to make movesets for, and hypothesize on who could be included, because the engine is designed to be player-friendly above all else. Brawl was in fact made less competitive and slower on-purpose to make it into more of a party game, considering the amount of redundant lag that exists purely to buffer Melee's open-ended combos. Just using those two examples, I don't think they would work at all; the MYMers interested in them tend to not make as many movesets and they are games designed to be played at tournaments. Just the inclusion of a meter on every character is a fundamental change that would be hugely divisive, that's only a single aspect of these other fighters. Not to criticise the choice of games, these are indeed the best you could have used, it only goes to highlight how this would never actually happen.

Agi

Smash Lord
I actually think that PSABR's inclusion of the super meter and lack of traditional KOing would provide an interesting new format to design sets for. There's already some amount of focus on nontraditional KO methods, pummel KOs and what have you. If nothing else, the decidedly unique atmosphere may justify some of the more off-the-wall playstyles as something that could actually happen in a vidya game.

By the same token, we ARE a stickied thread on SWF, and it might give casual viewers the wrong impression. If we were to do PSABR sets, we might need to find an extra forum. (Which, y'know, might catch the eyes of a few people interested in Smash Bros and bring 'em over here, etc.)

Smady

Smash Master
I'm not denying it's 'unique' but I don't think the level of interest is enough to justify... whatever it is being suggested. If you want to make PSABR sets, nothing is stopping you. I'm sure there's a forum right here on Smash Boards for that too. On the same note, one of our current minis is making a set for a potential SSB4 newcomer and posting it in the SSB4 forum, which is a more valid approach to attracting attention to Make Your Move, as the posters there are also interested in Smash Bros. If you go outside of this forum there's no guarantee those people care about Nintendo or a very different sort of fighting game, that is if anyone cares about making movesets in the first place.

Kholdstare

Nightmare Weaver
No, no, my point was that implementing other games into MYM wouldn't work very well if we still remained with the SWF. I imagine it wouldn't be hard to advertise outside of it anyway, but it'd be easier in the long run if we stuck to the not-as-complex-as-others Smash Bros. formulas and simply focused on finding people who'd be interested in making such things up, since those people are the ones who'd join such things in the first place. Also see Joe's point.
Again, you and JOE are restating my point. I said we could expand to other games, which obviously means expand to other forums, not remain on SWF.

And Smady, this discussion isn't pointless, it's about continuing MYM's legacy beyond Smash Bros. MYM in its current state is dying, and it will not last much longer.

Smady

Smash Master
That 'MYM is dying' has been said since Make Your Move 5 when we had a massive reduction in movesets and this contest is still far more active than Make Your Move 8. Lets not all don the tinfoil hats just yet.

Kholdstare

Nightmare Weaver
That 'MYM is dying' has been said since Make Your Move 5 when we had a massive reduction in movesets and this contest is still far more active than Make Your Move 8. Lets not all don the tinfoil hats just yet.
It's not the number of movesets, it's the number of comments and the wealth of ideas. Right now we have little to no comments regularly and since you lot favor creativity you're running out of ideas as well. Pretty soon every moveset will be based on hypothetical ideas that aren't present in Smash.

Smady

Smash Master
We aren't going to find comments or 'wealth of ideas' digging around in other fighting game communities.

Smady

Smash Master
Go to the SSB4 forum if you want to appeal to potential newcomers. Plenty of members there who may have an actual interest in what we do. We aren't so far gone yet that we need to migrate away from Smash Bros. At this point, remember, Brawl has been out for over four years, SSB4 is on the horizon. That should provide a big surge to Smash Boards' traffic and by extension our own.

Agi

Smash Lord
I did.

There's value to be had in expanding our horizons horizontally and vertically. Continue to search for newcomers within SWF while looking beyond our little corner of the internet. Veterans commenting more and making more sets only prolongs the issue, it cannot be expected to last forever. By expanding our search, it's more likely that we'll find some sort of influx. There is no doubt interest in Smash Bros in the PSABR community as there is PSABR interest in the Smash Bros community.

Smady

Smash Master
What interest? The game's not even out yet, just the demo, and it took years for any kind of moveset making of any sort to take place on these forums, who knows how long it will take for the primordial soup of an entirely unknown entity to develop. Who's to say they'll follow the same path and want to make movesets? Their game is a competitive-focused one, not a party-focused one. My problem is that you suggest SSB4 forum activity and scavenging over other communities is of equal validity. From my personal experience, I've never seen a successful expedition - Mercurious, IGN, Brawl in the Family - but we've never made an enthused attempt to appeal to the SSB4 forum that only opened up in recent times.

ForwardArrow

Smash Ace
MYM's kind of in a tight spot as is, if nobody's noticed. We cannot stretch our resources any further than we already have. Furthermore, there's a good portion of our community that does not play and honestly wants nothing to do with PSABR or MvC3. I'd say it's easily the majority in fact.

Big Mac

Banned via Warnings
Considering PSABR is the most popular non Smash ruleset people seem to want, and PSABR is just an edit of Smash Bros...

I think the simplest solution is just to do that if you simply must do something else, and include a changelist for Smash Bros in collapse tags at the bottom.

Other games that can't even be translated into Smash are a terrible idea.

Agi

Smash Lord
Brawl in the Family did get us Koppakirby, at the least. The multiple attempts on IGN/GameFAQs could be considered raids far before genuine efforts at recruitment, and Mercurious, for what it was, was already well-set in what they did.

From what I've seen, PSABR is far from a competitive game, even if (according to MT) the marketing strategy has been somewhat pushing it towards traditional fighters. The system is very much more party-based, slower paced than even Brawl is - until someone gets a Level 2/3, of course. Its status as a demo is very comparable to SSB4's current state. Heck, we don't even have a TRAILER for SSB4, and PSABR is in the same pre-game/early release mentality that MYM itself was back when it first started, when interest (measured by unique contributors) was at its peak.

There's no guarantee that it'll be worthwhile, no, but the same unknowns can be leveled at poking around SWF. Arguably, our simple status as a stickied thread could be looked at as an attempt to appeal to those interested in SSB4, a passive one, sure, but very much present as a topic of interest. I'd be open to the idea, but I'm not keen on closing doors to communities we have not yet investigated.

Junahu

Smash Ace
The moral of this story is; leaders don't wanna lead, so just do whatever you want. :happysheep:
My own two cents; I do not know what kind of actions MYMers should be taking for the near future, but it should be "something", not "nothing" (so says the one regular who never does anything).

Top Bottom