• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Make Your Move 4

Status
Not open for further replies.

Baloo

Smash Ace
I'm not seeing them either (@fonts)

I considered making a Link-up Space but with my tasteless BBcoding and lack of nifty button-links it'll probably be really ugly.

@Baloo: Yeah, either Saturn Bowling, or maybe something relevant to his use as an item in Smash, since I can't think of anything from Earthbound that would work out. Maybe he can break the crap out of shields, or something....

Or give him the strongest PSI-based attack from one of the Mother games, just for fun.
PK Love being Mr Saturn's final smash would be great.

And him bieng an item in smash will be implemented throughout the set.

OK! Moveset time.

Blipper: Very cool. I think that must be one of the best first movesets. Great. +1vote

Galaxy Man: :ohwell: :ohwell: :ohwell:

:ohwell:

OMPAWESOME!!!!!! Great. Not up to par with Kawasaki, like everyone else said, but still awesome. The way you presented it... Wow. +1vote

Pyre and Hibarawhatsit, I'll get to you later.

EDIT: Flyinfilipeno (I bet I spelled that wrong.) Thanks, but I already thought of that. But TY!

Hyper_Ridley

Smash Champion
I 100% agree with this. if you have a high-jumping italian plumber who shoots fireballs and swings capes, how and why would he be similarly played as an anthromorphic bird from brooklyn who has high-tech weaponry and a lazer?

a mechanic, no matter how far fetched or complicated, if backed up with effort from developers, can become a reality. a 3-in-1 character was made, a bike can be placed on the stage, and olimar gets access to pikmin. if kawasaki says "let there be soup," then soup will appear!
And I 100% agree with this in turn.:bee:

SirKibble

Smash Champion
SirKibble: That Scarfy thing. There's a pic of it on page 613. It's an orange blob.
You have an interesting definition of the word "blob." :ohwell:

Is Kirby, then, also a "blob"?

Oh, I agree with KingK.Rool so far. However, if you're going to some up with a completely new mechanic, you have to be dedicated. Nothing worse than a half-baked mechanic.
So true.

A mechanic, if implemented, should be both fitting to the character and reasonably translated into Smash. A simple example of this might be Lucario's aura mechanic. It makes sense, given who the character is, but it's not so far-fetched that it feels out-of-place when you have it actually in Smash.

EDIT: I'm not a cannibal!
Lies! ;)

Red Arremer

Smash Legend
I think I have to butt into this discussion, as well.

I have given Salvo the tip to not make a too complicated mechanic for a character. Why I did that is simple - the more complicated the character mechanic, the more complicated the character gets to read in general... what would you prefer to read or vote for? A character with a simple yet interesting special mechanic or a character with an insanely complex special mechanic where you have to check how it works every second move?

That's why I try to make my character mechanics simple yet the character themselves interesting. Of course, this results in my movesets being lesser known/appreciated - we can see that with Jonathan & Charlotte or Lyon, who have gone pretty much under radar. Anyone remembering the team mechanic of J&C? The summon mechanic of Lyon? I know, nothing memorable. Everyone remembers Kawasaki's pot, though.

Akiak

Smash Ace
Its funny how some people write "EDIT: ..." and it says they didn't edit it at all...

Anyways my next moveset is Paint Roller. He'll have a tablet of colors and which each color theres an added effect to his attacks. Ex. Red adds more damage, electricity adds more stun etc. But it'll be a bit more than that.

Son1x-

Smash Apprentice
@Akiak
when you edit immediately after posting, it doesn't say that. But yea, thats still an edit.

like now :) <- this was written few sec after posting.

princesspeachluver13

Banned via Warnings
paint roller sounds interesting. although i am against any more kirby movesets, that may just get a vote. :)

Rexais may come off as impossible, actually. I don't have a scanner, therefore cannot post him. Maybe I can, by sending a copy of him to Mendez, and HE can use that magic pad of his.

Baloo

Smash Ace
TOAD ANNOUNCEMENT: They're taking forever. With Akiak working on Electroplankton and now Paint Roller, and me working on Darkrai, we really only work on him in spare time. He probably won't be done for MYM4. Sorry. Look forward to him in MYM5.

KingK.Rool

Smash Lord
At what point did we somehow transcend Smash itself? I thought the point of this competition was to be able to design Smash movesets, but not worry about constrictions such as a realistic possibility of the character being in Smash or programming/developing time? If we are no longer even playing the same game, who says I won't come along and design a moveset for Snake in Mortal Kombat vs. Nintendo Universe?
I wouldn't say we transcended Smash so much as expanded the possibilities of what can fit inside it. Guess I kinda worded that point wrong.

Baloo: Thanks! Glad you enjoyed. And it's a shame about Toad Brigade, but if it gets me Darkrai sooner, I won't complain too much. :bee:

Baloo

Smash Ace
Mr. Saturn Preview:

This is a very unique grab, as it not only grabs but helps in recovery, and not only by tethering. Mr Saturn randomly says "Dakota" and falls on his back. Then, a red balloon on a black string comes up from behind him, stopping, and then floating at about twice the height of Ganondorf. How is he holding it? He has no arms, it must just be another nonsensical mystery of the Mr Saturns. Anyway, this only grabs people in the air. It has extremely high starting lag, but has the highest range in the game. It also stays out for a full three seconds. If it grabs no one, a bird comes along and touches the balloon. Mr Saturn reels it in and the bird disappears. After ten birds have been caught, his up B changes. But more about that later. If it catches an opponent in the air, he reels it in. Then, he automatically throws, depending on which way you point the control stick. After he catches an opponent, he randomly says "potential."

Hyper_Ridley

Smash Champion
I think I have to butt into this discussion, as well.

I have given Salvo the tip to not make a too complicated mechanic for a character. Why I did that is simple - the more complicated the character mechanic, the more complicated the character gets to read in general... what would you prefer to read or vote for? A character with a simple yet interesting special mechanic or a character with an insanely complex special mechanic where you have to check how it works every second move?

That's why I try to make my character mechanics simple yet the character themselves interesting. Of course, this results in my movesets being lesser known/appreciated - we can see that with Jonathan & Charlotte or Lyon, who have gone pretty much under radar. Anyone remembering the team mechanic of J&C? The summon mechanic of Lyon? I know, nothing memorable. Everyone remembers Kawasaki's pot, though.
Hey, I remember and love J&C's mechanic.:(

Chief Mendez

Smash Master
Ah, but this isn't Smash Bros we're talking about here. It's MYM. And yeah, everyone controls the same. That's my problem - theoretically, anyway. Why should Link and Snake play so similarily? Shouldn't their characters have a greater gap between them?

Anyway, if offered a wide enough range of playstyles and control schemes or what-have-you, even casual players should be able to find something they can figure out and have fun with. Or maybe they wouldn't, and the game would flop except among people like... well, Smashboards.
That's the thing though--this is Smash Bros.. I'm not talking about how the characters play, I'm talking about how the characters control. Everyone here should know the difference.

My point is that one of the defining concepts of Smash Bros. is that every character has the same button input combinations for all of their moves. Changing that isn't at all a good idea, and in some cases (Mega Man 9:Mega Man) it's not even a moveset as far as we're concerned, yes?

For example, Soul Calibur offers a wide range of playstyles and control schemes...and in fact, so does virtually every other 2D fighting game ever made. Notice how none of those are anywhere near as popular as Smash Bros.? I'd wager that has something to do with how accessible it is. No 10-part combos to learn, no complicated mechanics to memorize...all you've gotta' do is learn one control scheme, then pick a character and watch how his/her/it's moves work.

(Also excluding the obvious joke characters I've done in this contest, I make all my movesets with the background idea that they'd work fine in the actual game.)

Come on, who HASN'T heard of that awesome game?
...Game?

I don't have any idea what that cyan writing says, Baloo... D:
Neither do I, but it looks DAMN cool. :bee:

KingK.Rool

Smash Lord
That's the thing though--this is Smash Bros.. I'm not talking about how the characters play, I'm talking about how the characters control. Everyone here should know the difference.

My point is that one of the defining concepts of Smash Bros. is that every character has the same button input combinations for all of their moves. Changing that isn't at all a good idea, and in some cases (Mega Man 9:Mega Man) it's not even a moveset as far as we're concerned, yes?

For example, Soul Calibur offers a wide range of playstyles and control schemes...and in fact, so does virtually every other 2D fighting game ever made. Notice how none of those are anywhere near as popular as Smash Bros.? I'd wager that has something to do with how accessible it is. No 10-part combos to learn, no complicated mechanics to memorize...all you've gotta' do is learn one control scheme, then pick a character and watch how his/her/it's moves work.

(Also excluding the obvious joke characters I've done in this contest, I make all my movesets with the background idea that they'd work fine in the actual game.)
Of course. I don't think controls should vary from character to character. I think routes to victory, primary win conditions, should vary. The hallmark of a unique playstyle is that it takes the same fundamental rules and builds on them. All it would take is a bit of experimenting to see what works to rack up damage and what works to finish the battle. I'm not a proponent of completely changing the gameplay style, the charm of Smash is in its basic control scheme.

Take Jafar. He has no unique mechanic, but he would still play very differently from everyone in that he has few finishers and relies on securing a safe KO by controlling the stage and racking up the damage from afar. He's much more specialized than anyone currently in Brawl, but his primary control scheme is still the same.

I definitely see what you're saying, and pretty much agree, Mendez. I think this is all just the result of me wording my first point wrong.

Jimnymebob

Smash Champion
NNID
Jimnymebob
I used to see the name of that game in the cheat sections of Playstation Magazines.

Even though I never saw a picture of it, I always had a mental image in my mind that Jojo was a monkey.

I've been somewhat disappointed now.

:laugh:

kitsuneko345

Smash Ace
*sending Sundance lots of apple pies on Pi Day, as
Read this please:

Due to no interent connection at all on my laptop and no entrance to the other computer, I'm stuck using the Wii. Because of this, I hope not to be ignored at all.

I want to make a special mechanic for my next moveset in this contest, Ema Skye, but unfortunately not much comes to mind. The only mechanic I can think of might be that some moves might poison the opponent for five seconds, increasing the damage determined by the opponent's percent beforehand. If you can think of anything better, it will be gladly appreciated.

dancingfrogman

Smash Ace
Switch FC
3133 8842 3910
Being ill is a right bummer!

MYM was created of the basis that it would trascend of Smash bros! That's why we don't have complicated button movements like a traditional fighter, but smash has very simple control set-up so that everyone can pick it up for a simple yet very deep game.

Has anyone noticied ANY originality in a fighting game? Our movesets would generally not fit into an everyday fighting game, and our movesets are to complex and in depth to fit into a Smash game, removing that "pick and play" movement.

But why do we main characters in smash or any game if they can be used in the same way?

IT'S BECAUSE EVERY CHARACTER TENDS TO HAVE A UNIQUE ATTRIBUTE AND STAT, WHICH THEREFORE MEANS A DIFFERENT WAY TO PLAY A CHARACTER!

P.S: Although I love AOSTH Robotnik with all this orginiality, I kind've contradicted myself here. I COMMAND THEE TO <3 AOSTH ROBOTNIK

flyinfilipino

Smash Master
I want to make a special mechanic for my next moveset in this contest, Ema Skye, but unfortunately not much comes to mind. The only mechanic I can think of might be that some moves might poison the opponent for five seconds, increasing the damage determined by the opponent's percent beforehand. If you can think of anything better, it will be gladly appreciated.
Sorry, I don't know anything about the character, so I don't know what sort of unique mechanic would fit her best. not that I could probably come up with any in the first place :/

Being ill is a right bummer!

MYM was created of the basis that it would trascend of Smash bros! That's why we don't have complicated button movements like a traditional fighter, but smash has very simple control set-up so that everyone can pick it up for a simple yet very deep game.

Has anyone noticied ANY originality in a fighting game? Our movesets would generally not fit into an everyday fighting game, and our movesets are to complex and in depth to fit into a Smash game, removing that "pick and play" movement.

But why do we main characters in smash or any game if they can be used in the same way?

IT'S BECAUSE EVERY CHARACTER TENDS TO HAVE A UNIQUE ATTRIBUTE AND STAT, WHICH THEREFORE MEANS A DIFFERENT WAY TO PLAY A CHARACTER!
The characters' (real ones and ones we made up) different attributes and stats and moves are what gives them all a unique playstyle that sets them apart from other characters, yeah...but I've encountered a few movesets that use mechanics that clash with the basic "simple controls" idea of Smash Bros. that all characters, no matter how different they are, still have in common. Unique mechanics/moves/techniques are fine and all, but if they go against the "simple controls" idea of Smash Bros., then it's kind of pushing it, you know? That's what some people mean by "transcending Smash Bros."

Akiak

Smash Ace
MYM'ers should NEVER EVER think about game developing time when MYM'ing.

No one's gonna add them to the game, so this is just a limit to our creativity.
But if we're changing the controls, like with Megaman 9, then that's kind of exaggerated, no?

Another problem is some people simply write down what a character does and assigns each thing he can do to a button. People want to know how they would fit into smash

Baloo

Smash Ace
Hey guys! I made a new moveset! here ya go!

B: Spreads peanuts butter on you and enemy gets inverted controls for a while
B>: Shoots a glock full of peanut butter
B^: Mr. Peanut comes down and lifts peanutbutter face into the air
Bv: Pulls out a knife full of peanut butter and stabs enemy in chest and they get a chest infection which can only be healed by dr mario, TOO BAD HES ONLY IN MELEE!!

FS: Chunky Peanut Butter: Pulls out a container of chunky peanut butter and it launches all over the stage. Everyone is stuck on the ground while the chunks smash them in the face. Then using the wiimote, control PBF's tongue as he licks up the peanut butter and everyone flies away.

Taunt: Pulls out a container of peanut butter and eats it (Goes for 1 minute)
Taunt2: Pulls out A PB sandwich and eats it and if anybody touchs him they get herpies

Baloo

Smash Ace
:scared::scared::scared:

NO! HOW DID YOU FIND OUT???

And someone still has to do the Talk Show Moveset, I believe someone thought my Kumatora moveset was Oprah and I insisted that someone do that.

Kholdstare

Nightmare Weaver
Its funny how some people write "EDIT: ..." and it says they didn't edit it at all...

Anyways my next moveset is Paint Roller. He'll have a tablet of colors and which each color theres an added effect to his attacks. Ex. Red adds more damage, electricity adds more stun etc. But it'll be a bit more than that.
Mr. Saturn Preview:

This is a very unique grab, as it not only grabs but helps in recovery, and not only by tethering. Mr Saturn randomly says "Dakota" and falls on his back. Then, a red balloon on a black string comes up from behind him, stopping, and then floating at about twice the height of Ganondorf. How is he holding it? He has no arms, it must just be another nonsensical mystery of the Mr Saturns. Anyway, this only grabs people in the air. It has extremely high starting lag, but has the highest range in the game. It also stays out for a full three seconds. If it grabs no one, a bird comes along and touches the balloon. Mr Saturn reels it in and the bird disappears. After ten birds have been caught, his up B changes. But more about that later. If it catches an opponent in the air, he reels it in. Then, he automatically throws, depending on which way you point the control stick. After he catches an opponent, he randomly says "potential."
Two movesets from series I love, that I'm sure will be awesome.

Baloo

Smash Ace
Mr Saturn's moves will be mostly based off of his quotes. For example, one of his attacks will summon a praying mantis, going back to his quote:

MaNtIs Is lOoKiNg tHiS WaY. ScArY.

Baloo

Smash Ace
that's............really cool.

If not as a Final Smash, at least make Saturn Bowling into a special move or throw or something. Just cuz.
Side Special - Saturn Bowling

There. I was gonna do that anyways, but I guess y'all should know.
I'm looking forward to Mr. Saturn Baloo.
Thank You!

At popular request, After Darkrai, Saturn will be done! Then Gary Larson, then whoever. Maybe an OC.

Baloo

Smash Ace
Darkrai isn't done yet. And congrats.

And does anyone else think that Tabuu is Jigglypuff? The off waves are really a super-buffed version of sing.

phatcat203

Smash Apprentice
SirKibble: Kirby's not a blob, but the Scarfy kinda looks like an orange Ditto with horns...
Hmm, Mr. Saturn as a character...I like it! Yeas(how is that a word?!), I know it goes against what I'm saying about the Kirby reps, but still, it's Mr Saturn! Oh, and please count me off a page, my moveset's ready. #7

Baloo

Smash Ace
SirKibble: Kirby's not a blob, but the Scarfy kinda looks like an orange Ditto with horns...
Hmm, Mr. Saturn as a character...I like it! Yeas(how is that a word?!), I know it goes against what I'm saying about the Kirby reps, but still, it's Mr Saturn! Oh, and please count me off a page, my moveset's ready. #7
What do you mean it goes against it?

phatcat203

Smash Apprentice
I mean that Saturn, well he never fought that much, if at all.. I really can't remember right now. Oh, the moveset was actually ready at like 4 in the morning, but I needed some sleep before school. 9

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom