• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Make Your Move 7 - It's Over, Nothing to See Here

Status
Not open for further replies.

Junahu

Smash Ace
The throws were a bit touch and go for me, primarily because I tend to view submechanics specific to individual throws as rather tacked-on in most circumstances, especially for characters who didn't seem to have a grab focus until the section came up. Regardless, the grab itself and pummel were good, and the throws all created interesting ways for things to go, even if they were a little forced.
I can see what you mean with the tacked on effects. I wanted the throws to represent a kind of "reset" of the rules of the match, where Alucard takes away the momentum from both sides and restores a status quo. I could have done it better, and should have made the allusions to old superstitions easier to spot.
But it's hard to imagine Alucard reliably landing the grab anyway (I think Mendez made Dracula's slower than a falcon punch). It's just a tool to round off his midrange pressure game, not a lynchpin of his entire playstyle.

Now, as for the specials, I have to say that I found the Neutral Special's use of magic to be underwhelming. Control stick directions? This is Brawl, not Street Fighter! It's not a major issue on its own, but it was jarring; more pressing is the fact that you said these abilities weren't even supposed to be known in Brawl. On a character you repeatedly say would be good for the newbies?
Since this is a rather frequent concern with the set, I should probably address it. So off I go to make sneaky edits.
Other than the street-fighter-eske motions, which I don't see fit to change, the problem people seem to have with the Magic is discoverability, (i.e. it's hard to imagine players stumbling onto the magic by mere chance). To remedy this then, I will add the ability to tilt the shield upwards, push it forewards and parry blows backwards by tilting the analogue stick in those directions. This way, I can still keep the spells "hidden" (it is a Castlvania tradition that about 1/3 of the game remains hidden behind a fake "bad ending" after all) but in a way that they can still be discovered accidentally (as the player will be encouraged to move the stick around while using the shield)

Spy: ...oh you just KNOW what I'm going to say. "so many vital attacks, it's hard to justify them on smash controls, blablah-unsmash-blahblahblah". At this point it's like argueing religion to an atheist. You keep making generic inputs that are too important, I keep making generic inputs that don't have any practical worth. I like my way, you (and most everyone else) prefer your way.
But in this case, my stock MW complaint goes beyond that. It's hard to justify this brilliant capture the flag game being a "part" of Smash at all. I thoroughly believe it should be its own game. As the Spy shows, characters that aren't specifically tailored to this mode are blatant garbage (though you've given Valozarg a perfect mode to play in, Assuming one Valozarg = 3 players. And Romero is just, too good for this mode, can you imagine 10 of them?) as are most of the items and gameplay mechanics. How could Lunge ever hope to be implemented here?
I find it iressistably ironic that the Spy set is in itself disguised as a Smash set. when it represents something far more unique and thought provoking.

But before you get the wrong idea on my opinion of this set, THIS IS THE BEST MOVESET YOU HAVE EVER MADE. Subterfuge is always an excellent way to keep the metagame from stalling; no matter how airtight someone thinks the game becomes, the Spy will always find a loophole, a new mindtrick to make sure everyone evolves their own playstyles intead of saying "oh, I'm an efficient trap layer, I'll just do that constantly lalalalala!".
The set brings up all kinds of beautiful opportuities (I must confess to spending a good half an hour daydreaming about how characters like Clefable and Arche would work in this "mode") and deserves to be, on the whole, praised as more than just a moveset.
Plus this is like the first moveset you've ever made that can be genuinely argued as having an aggressive proactive playstyle. This calls for a sexy party
...Why is it a rule that we have to make Smash sets again?

Anyway, gushing about your sets is becoming a cliche now. Now I need to get back to defending my own

He doesn’t really have much of a. . .Goal. I’d think you’d be trying to go Morton’s route with this and make a character that doesn’t **** people while not getting *****, though the match-ups and the blatant spite throws/anti-invisibility show that this is standard Junahu fare in that regard. I of course also don’t need to tell you about the button combinations, which I hate more then anybody else here I’m pretty sure
You talk about my own moves being spiteful, which seems humourous to me, since you do it with a far more open hand than I do.
Anyway, Alucard's goal is rather obvious, don't lose until you win.
Why is it so pertinent that Alucard have a goal? Is telegraphed flow between moves so absolutely mandatory? Isn't it more versatile for a character to have no goal, and the freedom to choose a path best suited to the opponent? Sure, his matchups are rather all over the place, but all-rounders aren't supposed to have 50/50 matchups across the board (¬_¬ If you consider Wario and Morton to be allrounders, then we have radically different interpretations of the term)
In my head, the direction motions work. But I will simplify them, along with giving the player a shield related motive to move the stick around
And thank you for acknowledging my stickers

BKupa666

Barnacled Boss
Spy:
I think it's safe to say that you've just created a whole new mode. Not even kidding. We could have whole genres of characters specifically made for Capture the Flag, which is a cool concept on its own. Because he's essentially built to be un-Smash, I can't review him in the context of Smash, but rather in correlation to CtF. Anyways, the disguise elements of his moveset were the most appealing; seriously, add that in with the massive number of opposing characters to screw with and you've got the next online phenomenon. We're assuming SSB79 is being released on the PS15, right?

Wait, what? Posing as noobs to further your strategy? Traps to screw your opponents into their teammates' traps? (Y). Spy isn't perfect, but he's damn close. As Junahu said, slapping important moves on generic inputs is strange, and while I don't mind this as much, it's just the lack of flow all around that is a bit of a turn-off. Y'know, random spy props, physical moves, knives, strange random effects...Oh wait...'OLOLOLOLOL FUNNY' *SVs*. Sorry, just 'disguising' as another of our favorite commentators here. And also, would a team of 'team player' Spies fare well against opposition, or fail fantastically from lack of KO options?

I can see lots of controversy over this set's viability in the future; I am in the camp of allowing it, but it's bound to spark controversy in the future. Superb job; a lot more effort clearly went into this than certain earlier sets of yours...

Neherazade

Smash Journeyman
Thanks for the help Katapultar. i just read through a page of reviews (and an amazing SPY set, if not a bit unorthodox with the CtF mechanic) and saw NO reviews for Unown! T_T...

Oh, well. eventually I guess. Anyway... Hope I can get my own review in too. I should edit this post later tonight with a Shuckle/Spy review.

EDIT: why? WHY!?! I got 45 minutes into my first review (THE FONT CODE WAS EVEN WORKING!) and then Google Chrome crashed. GOOGLE ****ING CHROME!

why me? why me?

Long story short: Spy is epic-****ing-win but for a number of structuring reasons is incredibly confusing without reading the whole thing twice. It also has some strange tacked-on features (like the loss of weight using U air, etc.) and a lack of EXTRAS that annoys me... all in all, a well done set. Though what do i know? I'm just a lowly, ignored, n00b set-maker. T_T

Neherazade

Smash Journeyman
MONKEY D. LUFFY HAS JOINED THE BRAWL!!!

Yosha! Luffy is ready to kick som a**!

Luffy is the happy-go-lucky captain of the Straw Hat Pirates. He may just seem like an idiot, but he has a huge ambition; Luffy dreams of finding the legendary treasure, "One Piece," and becoming the Pirate King. With his ability to stretch like rubber, coupled with his superhuman strength, Luffy is sure to be a formidable opponent in Smash Bros.

STATS

Attack: 8
Speed: 6
Weight: 5
Defense: 6
Throws: 7
Recovery: 10
Final Smash: 7

STANDARD ATTACKS

NEUTRAL ATTACK - GOMU GOMU NO GATLING GUN

Luffy unleashes a barrage of punches that are so fast, it gives off the illusion that he has twenty arms. This is your standard (keep-on-tapping-to-keep-on-punching" attack.

FOWARD TILT - GOMU GOMU NO PISTOL

I'LL POST THE REST LATER
just looking at it... you haven't read any of the other sets, have you?... and you based it off the Prima guide... didn't you?

Take some time... work out EVERYTHING in your set (damage, knockback, hitstun, effects, special mechanics, etc.) THEN post it. If you want to get it out there asap... fine. but at least take the time to think these things through.

Katapultar

Smash Lord
No problem Neherazade. People are mean for not commenting on Unown. You're not the first one who's scanned through comments and have had their set ignored. It's happened to me. Kind of surprised that even darth meanie ignored Unown. I think everyone believe's it's a simple repost, but it's not.

Im starting to think that I should take a bit of a break from commenting. It's turning into my downfall. Not only is it time consuming (half to 1 hour) which I could be working on a set or something, but the comments sometimes don't have a lot of heart to them, Im simply repeating myself. I think I should just comment a little more occasional, and mostly for ignored sets because they need some love. A lot actually.

Suzu is near completion. There's only a few moves left including a full set of throws. Im hoping that this set will be better than anything else I've done before, without question.

Monkey D. AWESOME

Smash Apprentice
Coming to terms with having two people in my mind
Words cannot describe how utterly humiliated I am now.

Koopakirby invited me here, having complete faith in my moveset-making skills, and wants me to join...I had no idea that I'd be serving to the moronic masses!

I'm leaving! You can tell Koopakirby to f--- himself if he asks about me.
I've got just one thing to say to you: STFU!!

Neherazade

Smash Journeyman
double-post... beware the INFRACTION! :mad:

JK. but if you are having problems with your internet/computer, write up the set in word. then paste it into reply box and edit the text for formatting (adding center, size, font, etc. where necessary). Good luck with your set man (didn't mean to come across as offensive) and hope you get your computer working eventually! ;)

Katapultar

Smash Lord
Welcome to Make Your Move, Monkey D. AWESOME. Editing your post is ok since it was last MYM where the rule that incomplete movesets were ignored was abolished, so you don't need to stress about it.

From the looks of it and being your first time, it actually looks pretty good (just be sure to fix the 2 F-tilts). If you're going to edit the space and remind other MYMers of your set's existence, be sure to place the URL on the post, like this:

http://www.smashboards.com/showpost.php?p=9700560&postcount=805

If you place that URL onto the internet address, you'll get a page which only has that one post, ignoring the others that were on this page. Copy this URL address and use it to remind people of your set's update so that they might go back and check it. Even if they don't though, I will.

It would be pretty cool to have another MYMer around who makes One Piece sets, since we had one around in MYM6 but he seemed to have had left. I approve of people who make sets for their favourite anime/manga series.

By the way, there should be 2 weeks left of the competition, including this one. Hope to see Luffy complete before then.

And one final piece of advice. If you have a document on your computer such as Microsoft Notepad or Office, you can edit your set beforehand so you don't have to constantly go on the internet and edit it. BBcoding (at the bottom of the page where it states "Posting Rules") is a good idea at doing this.

http://www.smashboards.com/misc.php?do=bbcode

Learn about BBcodes, and that will in term help you keep the good stuff like images or large, colored headers without having to go on the internet. Most people simply learn over time, so don't worry if you don't understand what Im saying.

On a completely unrelated note, Im getting there with Suzu's completion. I would have posted it here if it was complete. So instead I used this post to help a newcomer. Yay.

[size=+3]Don't forget to vote on Kaiser6012's MYM Story Mode Character Voting Poll because I will keep voting for Suzu, who will win the vote unless other people do stuff onto the voting thing. Get onto that Poll and vote:

http://kaiser6012.wordpress.com/story-mode/

FINALLY, get onto that NEW Make You Move Group and say hi to SirKibble because he posted on there:

http://www.smashboards.com/group.php?groupid=1262

THAT IS ALL.
[/size]

Tubaam

Smash Apprentice
Hi, my name is Tubaam and I participated once in the MYM4 contest and I just saw this was still going on! :)

I also like seeing many members from MYM4 still here, like most of the Sangbags are still here, besides Chief Mendez and SirKibble :( .

Anyways, I should post a moveset soon and it'll most likely be from the Mega Man universe, somebody like Dr. Wily.

MasterWarlord

Smash Champion
Not wasting countless hours on a 10 man community
Nice seeing you come back, Tubaam. I went back and looked at your first set from way back in MYM 4, and it seems you're on fine footing, especially considering how long ago that was. Eager to see a set from you.

SANDSHREW

. . .Sandshrew seems to essentially be Maha Ganesheriff 2.0 in that he lacks any form of real playstyle. Many of his attacks are standard fodder you could find in Brawl. The only thing we have to remind us that he’s from MYM is his sand mechanic which feels rather under-utilized/pointless along with Dig, and he doesn’t even seem particularly campy like you state in the playstyle section. He just doesn’t seem to have any form of playstyle, really, and he’d definitely fall flat on his face in MYM 4 for uncreativity. . .Which means Rool will probably love this set, especially considering it’s so underdetailed it’s not funny.

Sandstorm is entirely open for interpretation, as is Dig, his only two moves that try to make him anything more then a standard Brawl character. You start telling us how these moves function in other moves, but it’s not like you’re just holding back certain details until they’re relevant – you’re just randomly holding back vital details until whenever you feel like telling us about them. Call it a friendly writing style if you will, it quickly loses its’ charm when I keep re-reading those two moves to try to find what I’m missing only to find out that you’ve sent me on a scavenger hunt throughout the whole set to find these details.

Yes this is a blatantly negative commentary, but there really isn’t anything to redeem this set for me, aside from perhaps the organization which is amplified much further when Sandslash is posted right below it with identical organization. I’m sorry, Plorf.

SANDSLASH

Now THIS is a great moveset right here. Posting it with Sandshrew eeveelution style with the same (great) organization works brilliantly for it, especially with the little Sandshrew’s evolving bit. . .It might’ve done some harm if Sandslash were any less spectacular then he is considering how mediocre Sandshrew is, but that’s not the case, now is it? While you have a friendly writing style like Plorf does, it never gets in the way of things like it does in Sandshrew. It simply complements the juicy meat.

And what juicy meat it is! I can’t begin to describe just how much I love the concept of hiding traps in sandstorm. While it was brought up to an extent in Stanley, this is a very different use of it and it’s more fully explored here. The mindgame flow is abundant among the trappy moves. Loveitloveitloveitloveit. Absolutely fantastic.

I really don’t see how DM can have such a huge heart attack over the throws, considering you admitted two of them were generic clones (Not that that’s a problem, as the clone of DK’s fthrow was highly relevant) of existing throws, and the dthrow fits it’s input fine. Bthrow is a bit awkward. . .Oh no! One throw! Granted, dthrow would’ve had more mindgame potential and fit into the playstyle better if it were a trap rather then putting the foe into it immediately, but what’s done is done and Sandslash has no shortage of traps to mindgame in the Sandstorm with. Utilt is a more valid complaint from DM, though. It’s much more vital to Sandslash’s game then Pin Missle, which would’ve fit fine as a utilt. In any case, though, these are just nitpicks I’m addressing.

Here are my –real- complaints. . .Namely, while Sand Veil is awesome, how is Sandslash supposed to know where he is? Back when I was doing an invisibility based character I abandoned (Not Spy), I included an attack that made the character run to where the enemy player was before the attack so they could have some means of locating themselves, but you don’t offer much help here, especially considering Sandslash can fall into his own traps. Granted, this actually ends up working somewhat well for you considering Sandslash would probably be rather overpowered otherwise, though I rather you just nerfed Sandslash’s power and made mindgaming foes in the Sandstorm a bit more intuitive.

My other complaint is that Sandslash’s moves that aren’t related to the greatness of mindgaming foes in the sandstorm are mostly generic attacks, and they’re more numerous then I’d like. It’s not that much of a deal breaker, though, considering some of them like fair are relevant seeing they help Sandslash with his theme of vertical KOs as he lowers the top blast zone, and they also help to make Sandslash’s playstyle more open ended which you seem to be going for in the playstyle (As I’ve shown with Alucard I’m not a big fan of that, but I’ll respect it).

Most of my critique here could be fixed up on the set in about 10 to 15 minutes, so yeah. As I said earlier, great stuff. It might seem a bit awkward I go on so long about critiquing this moveset when I claim to like it as much as I do, but I obviously enjoy talking about it a lot more then the brain child of Plorf looming over above Sandslash, envying him intently.

VENOM

Venom’s playstyle ultimately boils down to. . .Set up a few stunner traps, lure the foe over with a taunt into them, then use your neutral special for your pummel/control esque KO and continue to taunt the poor foe into more stunning traps who can’t do much to resist due to reversed/unresponsive controls. It’s blatantly overpowered and it doesn’t feel particularly fresh, though granted it does flow. . .Outside that irrelevant air-game, which flows among itself but does little to relate to the act of getting Venom’s KOs outside the dair which Venom can’t use during that time due to being restricted to playing as the wussy reporter. I was wondering just how that worked for the longest time until you randomly decided to reveal that in the playstyle, which really had me scratching my head.

It’s hard to remember hardly any individual moves in the set due to how skewered they are, just the set as a whole due to it having some amount of flow. The flow does certainly put this set on decent ground, and I might be a fan of it if one of the unflowing aerials/overpoweredness were removed or better yet that horrendous writing style. It’s so common to find your thoughts drifting due to being unable to pay attention reading this moveset, which doesn’t help in making your overcomplicated explanations for a relatively run of the mill pummel/control esque KO easier to understand.

Junahu

Smash Ace
Sandshrew-lash: (CHEW) Dunno why people are treating them as seperate sets when there was clearly much liasing going on between the two of you. Frankly, I'm appalled at how good this(these) set(sets) is(are). They are the perfect representation of a pokemon both before, and after evolution. Sandshrew uses sand to hide and pits to run, while Sandslash uses sand to conceal and pits to trap. It's a perfect match, in style, writing and content, and I refuse to seperate them when commenting... or voting for that matter ... nevermind, I wasn't allowed to vote the Eeveelutions all together so the sand family has no chance

The organisation is wonderful, spinning your own style onto the tried and true pokemon template without undermining it, or making it graphically clustered (like I end up doing a lot :( )

The simplicity is one of Sandshrew's biggest selling points for me, but one that has apparantly divided everyone else.
Many of his attacks are standard fodder you could find in Brawl
Good, I like that game, so that must be a compliment about how well Plorf designed a Brawl set.

So too a dividing point, is the slight looseness of the various traps drawing attention away from Slash as a character (or trappish-proppish, to use the latin name). And again, that's something that I think was needed, to distinguish Sandslash from his unevolved cousin and to show that even now that he's more aggressive, he's still part of the shrew family and needs to think his strategy through.

Also, yay for the Blindness status effect appearing on a set that can use it effectively! That rather made my day.

Not having interactions between Shrew and Slash dissapointed me though.. They both use so much sand :(

Neherazade

Smash Journeyman
Well Unown went by completely ignored... Oh Well. guess it'll take a more DRASTIC character to get people's attention:

OH! WHAT NOW! Seymour joins the Brawl!​

Well, not quite. Still working on Krazy/My Joint set... but this one will be coming soon... and it's also a joint-set interestingly enough! Just not with anyone on SWF. Sadly, this might likely be postponed until MYM8 (here's hoping it happens!) since we're down to the last two weeks. (EEK)

darth meanie

Smash Journeyman
So I went ahead and finally gave Unown a read, and wanted to give you some hints.

First of all, the organization is a little hard on the eyes. I understand why you made the design choice of alternating right and left alignment, but I'd suggest that you emulate the organizational style of other sets before making new experimental styles.

Another big problem is that the specials and switching mechanic were the very last thing in the set. Not only that, but the specials didn't really have much to differentiate them from other move inputs. You could've changed them around, and probably not noticed much of a difference at all.

Second, as for the moveset itself, the biggest problem that strikes me is that all of the moves are proppish. By this I mean that Unown is doing things that just don't make sense for the character; growing feet and dragon heads to attack with is just ridiculous, too ridiculous to make sense. Unown is a very difficult character to make a set for, but this approach made the set very difficult to take seriously. Try to make sure you stay in character for your movesets, and don't take too many liberties with design.

Other than that, the rest of the problems are things that you'll grow to gain a better handle on with practice and new movesets. Unown has a rather shallow playstyle, although it's fairly good for a newcomer moveset; try to have a good idea of what kind of playstyle you want to achieve with your moveset and pair it to your character as best you can.

Good luck with Seymour.

Neherazade

Smash Journeyman
Thanks for your criticism. Looking back at it, i would disagree that the moves are OOC... Unown's set is centered around the concept of "hidden power," which can (according to the Pokedex, lol) take on nearly limitless forms.

but that's not to say I disagree with all your comments. many of the moves seemed forced, and apart from the dual-character mechanic, I couldn't think of anything particularly special to add to the set.
Also, my formatting was acting up (maybe I put the codes in wrong?) so I had trouble making headings and such, though like both you and Katapultar said... it would have --been helpful to have separated the specials, tilts, aerials, etc. so they were easier to find.
And yes, the specials did seem relatively generic. in my head, they were great concepts... but putting them on paper was just too hard to adequately explain them.

Seymour might end up the same way sadly, as might Krazy's Joint set... but come MYM8, I've got alot of ideas I'd like to see put into practice... Grab mechanics FTW.

Katapultar

Smash Lord
Hi Tubbam! Im not from the era of Make Your Move 4, but I read your Frieeza set a long time ago when I first joined, and liked it. Some more DBZ sets from you would rock my socks.

I declare my large post on this page a shinning success. Not only are more people voting on Kasier's poll (possibly in fear of my dear Suzu having a ridiculously large amount of votes compared to everyone else), but I also told people about Kibble (I should think so since nobody responded to Warlord's video masses).

I disagree with DM stating that Unown's attacks are OoC as well. And....as for Seymour, you mean the one from FFX:

If so, I am looking forward to another FF character. Yay. It would be great if you could get him done in time, but it's ok otherwise.

Neherazade

Smash Journeyman
Hi Tubbam! Im not from the era of Make Your Move 4, but I read your Frieeza set a long time ago when I first joined, and liked it. Some more DBZ sets from you would rock my socks.

I declare my large post on this page a shinning success. Not only are more people voting on Kasier's poll (possibly in fear of my dear Suzu having a ridiculously large amount of votes compared to everyone else), but I also told people about Kibble (I should think so since nobody responded to Warlord's video masses).

I disagree with DM stating that Unown's attacks are OoC as well. And....as for Seymour, you mean the one from FFX:

If so, I am looking forward to another FF character. Yay. It would be great if you could get him done in time, but it's ok otherwise.
Well I'm hoping for the best, but I've got an obligation to Krazy first. we started this set back in January. The whole concept is done... but we haven't written it up yet!

Tubaam

Smash Apprentice
First, thanks for the great welcome everybody! ;) I really appreciate it. Also, could anyone link me to good movesets on which I could rely for details and organisation?

And I'd like to say I'll try to read every moveset that is posted starting now! :bee:

Monkey D. AWESOME

Smash Apprentice
Welcome to Make Your Move, Monkey D. AWESOME. Editing your post is ok since it was last MYM where the rule that incomplete movesets were ignored was abolished, so you don't need to stress about it.

From the looks of it and being your first time, it actually looks pretty good (just be sure to fix the 2 F-tilts). If you're going to edit the space and remind other MYMers of your set's existence, be sure to place the URL on the post, like this:

http://www.smashboards.com/showpost.php?p=9700560&postcount=805

If you place that URL onto the internet address, you'll get a page which only has that one post, ignoring the others that were on this page. Copy this URL address and use it to remind people of your set's update so that they might go back and check it. Even if they don't though, I will.

It would be pretty cool to have another MYMer around who makes One Piece sets, since we had one around in MYM6 but he seemed to have had left. I approve of people who make sets for their favourite anime/manga series.

By the way, there should be 2 weeks left of the competition, including this one. Hope to see Luffy complete before then.

And one final piece of advice. If you have a document on your computer such as Microsoft Notepad or Office, you can edit your set beforehand so you don't have to constantly go on the internet and edit it. BBcoding (at the bottom of the page where it states "Posting Rules") is a good idea at doing this.

http://www.smashboards.com/misc.php?do=bbcode

Learn about BBcodes, and that will in term help you keep the good stuff like images or large, colored headers without having to go on the internet. Most people simply learn over time, so don't worry if you don't understand what Im saying.

On a completely unrelated note, Im getting there with Suzu's completion. I would have posted it here if it was complete. So instead I used this post to help a newcomer. Yay.

[size=+3]Don't forget to vote on Kaiser6012's MYM Story Mode Character Voting Poll because I will keep voting for Suzu, who will win the vote unless other people do stuff onto the voting thing. Get onto that Poll and vote:

http://kaiser6012.wordpress.com/story-mode/

FINALLY, get onto that NEW Make You Move Group and say hi to SirKibble because he posted on there:

http://www.smashboards.com/group.php?groupid=1262

THAT IS ALL.
[/size]
Thank you; You're a really nice guy (sorry if that came out a little creepy).

About the two F-tilts, they're actually a combo. I thought I should do something creative.

Don't worry, I'll have Luffy done before the end of the contest.

Katapultar

Smash Lord
Yay, a moveset for Cell! As a DBZ fan, hope to see it soon!

Im not the greatest in picking out good sets for organisation and detail, but I can try of all the MYM7 sets there are.

Junahu's sets are considered to be top-notch in terms of organisation. Especially if you were to look at his 2 big sets for MYM7: Doppelori and Alucard.

http://go2.wordpress.com/?id=725X13...ards.com/showpost.php?p=9240707&postcount=452

http://www.smashboards.com/showpost.php?p=9654716&postcount=761

and Kholdstare's Axel set, which is much more simple:

http://www.smashboards.com/showpost.php?p=9116964&postcount=271

Then there's Ocon's Sho set:

http://www.smashboards.com/showpost.php?p=9237134&postcount=449

Of course, you'll probably want something a lot more simple if you don't have access to that kind of stuff.

Aside from image sets, Kupa is one of the MYMers who I'd consider has strong organisation, which is clear in Aran Ryan:

http://www.smashboards.com/showpost.php?p=9492133&postcount=648

In terms of organisation, that's all I can think of now. With Cell, you'll probably want a header with a dark green color of some sort while the text is the light green. Pull that off and you'll have a nice set to read.

And detail. Im not entirely sure about this one. There are many MYMers who have a strong style of writing, so I can't really choose. You may have to take an example from the above sets.

Thank you; You're a really nice guy (sorry if that came out a little creepy).

About the two F-tilts, they're actually a combo. I thought I should do something creative.

Don't worry, I'll have Luffy done before the end of the contest.
No problem. If the F-tilt is going to be a combo, I'd suggest stating that for future references, or possibly merging the 2 attacks into 1. That way people won't see it as a mistake.

MasterWarlord

Smash Champion
While the movesets Katapultar showed for image sets are all fine and dandy, I must respectfully disagree with Aran Ryan being a prime example of a regular set with exceptional organization. Some of my picks:

Adeleine
Negative Man
King Hippo

As for detail, most sets now don't have too many problems with underdetailing. You generally just want power (damage and knockback), lag, and range. Priority is generally fine unmentioned unless there's something notable about the move's priority, such as if it's a grab.

For power, we now somewhat prefer more exact units of measurement then we did back in MYM 4 rather then simply saying "below average/average/above average" as those terms are rather vague and open to interpretation, but it's not something you have to worry about too much.

If you want to, though, we use stuff like battlefield platforms and stage builder blocks as units to measure range with, pretty easy to do. For knockback, we generally like to type out the percentage it'd kill at, a bit more difficult to grasp, but nothing complicated. Lag is the most awkward to get used to as we're now using relatively exact measurements of time. Definitely feel free to pass on lag, even I've only recently gotten used to that.

Also, my sig is now relevant and links to my set rankings rather then a long abandoned game. Yes, it's been updated to include all the sets I've made since it was first posted.

Tubaam

Smash Apprentice
Thanks for the help I'll read those movesets and I'll try to post my first moveset as soon as possible! :)

I remember some sets from you sig :chuckle:

And umm... are match ups necessary for a set? I've seen them many times but...

Hyper_Ridley

Smash Champion
This is NOT aimed at anyone specifically

. Lag is the most awkward to get used to as we're now using relatively exact measurements of time.
This is something that has been bugging me for a while and I think it's time I actually said something while I still can.

I don't think you guys realize just how fast moves are in 2D fighting games. Any move that wants to be considered even remotley fast will have AT MOST 12 frames or so, or. 2 seconds. The vast majortiy of moves, though, have startup times of 3-6 frames, or ONE TENTH OF A SECOND. That means unless you want to go specify the exact amount of frames for the startup and end lag of every single move on your character, you're gonna just be typing ".1 seconds" for damn near everything, unless you're really so pretentious that you go the thousandth's place or something.

And besides, it's hypocritical to want exact time measurements for the startup and end lag when are a lot of other things that need it too. The amount of time a hitbox is active for a move varies from move to move, so you better start saying "The hitbox on Mario's arm is active on frames 4-6". Heck, freaking hitstun and shieldstun are actually time-measurements, so now we get to tell everyone how this move has .1 seconds of hitsun but has .15 seconds of shieldstun!

And why stop at lag? Let's get the exact pixels of the diameter of a move's hitbox! Let's go beyond KO% and put in the knockback growth! Let's get the acceleration and startup time of a character's jump (yes, there is such a thing, some characters are a few frames longer to startup their jump)! KO percents are one thing since there's a lot of variation in there, but with frame-specific timing, you're gonna have extremley redundant lag times that aren't worth spelling out on every single attack.

I'm sure the reason most of us joined MYM in the first place was so that we could share IDEAS for Smash Bros movesets, not freaking frame-data graphs. We always talk about how our sets are "too good" for smash and we're not worrying about implementation, but then we get hung up on all this ultra-specific technical stuff. It's this line of thought that led to the "flowchart playstyles" of MYM6, cause after all, how dare the reader come to their own conclusions on the kinds of cool strategies the character has, we'll just make one super specific strategy to elininate all of the horrible vagueness! We go "lol balance" but then we go insane when we don't know exactly how fast a move is compared to another move.

I think it's time everyone in MYM, myself included, took a step back and thought about just what we're looking for in movesets. Do we want to emphasize creative thinking, awesome new concepts for the smash-bros engine and badass playstyles? Or do we want giant spreadsheets for a bunch of generic moves because everyone is so exhausted coming up with every minute detail that they dread having to make anything more complex.

Neherazade

Smash Journeyman
This is something that has been bugging me for a while and I think it's time I actually said something while I still can.

I don't think you guys realize just how fast moves are in 2D fighting games. Any move that wants to be considered even remotley fast will have AT MOST 12 frames or so, or. 2 seconds. The vast majortiy of moves, though, have startup times of 3-6 frames, or ONE TENTH OF A SECOND. That means unless you want to go specify the exact amount of frames for the startup and end lag of every single move on your character, you're gonna just be typing ".1 seconds" for damn near everything, unless you're really so pretentious that you go the thousandth's place or something.

And besides, it's hypocritical to want exact time measurements for the startup and end lag when are a lot of other things that need it too. The amount of time a hitbox is active for a move varies from move to move, so you better start saying "The hitbox on Mario's arm is active on frames 4-6". Heck, freaking hitstun and shieldstun are actually time-measurements, so now we get to tell everyone how this move has .1 seconds of hitsun but has .15 seconds of shieldstun!

And why stop at lag? Let's get the exact pixels of the diameter of a move's hitbox! Let's go beyond KO% and put in the knockback growth! Let's get the acceleration and startup time of a character's jump (yes, there is such a thing, some characters are a few frames longer to startup their jump)! KO percents are one thing since there's a lot of variation in there, but with frame-specific timing, you're gonna have extremley redundant lag times that aren't worth spelling out on every single attack.

I'm sure the reason most of us joined MYM in the first place was so that we could share IDEAS for Smash Bros movesets, not freaking frame-data graphs. We always talk about how our sets are "too good" for smash and we're not worrying about implementation, but then we get hung up on all this ultra-specific technical stuff. It's this line of thought that led to the "flowchart playstyles" of MYM6, cause after all, how dare the reader come to their own conclusions on the kinds of cool strategies the character has, we'll just make one super specific strategy to elininate all of the horrible vagueness! We go "lol balance" but then we go insane when we don't know exactly how fast a move is compared to another move.

I think it's time everyone in MYM, myself included, took a step back and thought about just what we're looking for in movesets. Do we want to emphasize creative thinking, awesome new concepts for the smash-bros engine and badass playstyles? Or do we want giant spreadsheets for a bunch of generic moves because everyone is so exhausted coming up with every minute detail that they dread having to make anything more complex.
I have to agree with this. I can't say on my own that MYM was better (since I've only known MYM5 and later) but when MYM is picking on frame data, there is a problem.
Everyone here has great character ideas with, or without, special mechanics (though they do keep things interesting)!
However, many of us (I know I do) envision the moves in our minds, can see exactly how they play out... but can't put them into words. The solution:

LET OTHERS FIGURE IT OUT FOR THEMSELVES.

We'll never be able to convey the moves just right. Instead, we do our best and the readers will create their own idea of how the move works. Descriptions are helpful, and ideas for how to use the move are great... but eventually, we have to step back and say "it's good enough." the reader will envision a character similar to, but different from, the original character. and that's life.
As readers, our job is to understand the difficulty in writing these sets. We should accept that simply saying "little lag" or "fast-activating" is enough to convey the original vision. and if it isn't described well enough... then at least the reader has an idea of what the move SHOULD be. Picking at the specificity of certain data is simply too difficult. If Nintendo actually decided to use one of these sets, then YES, they'd need the data... but we don't! not unless we're talking Warlock-punch lag, will we need to know the amount of charging time, or the exact degree of knockback.

It's really a matter of accepting. we need to realize the complexity of Brawl and accept that we cannot conceive of every necessary piece of data for a set. Instead, we simply work as best we can and accomplish, honestly, amazing things. why stop now over something like hit-stun?

Katapultar

Smash Lord
Match-ups are not essential in a move set, Tubaam. In my personal opinion, I don't write them up even though they seem cool. For starters, you could just not do them. It sort of requires a bit of extended knowledge and time. It's up to you however.

------------

No sarcasm intended, you do have a very, very good point HR. It's insanely true that terms such as 0.2 seconds are used in sets and that it makes the concept inaccurate, though specifying frames is kind of.....we don't really want to do it.

But I totally 100% agree with Neherazade that people should try to interpret the move themselves. These days we don't specify lag on every move because it's common sense to understand how much lag the attack has based on the situation.

In MYM, we're essentially writing out word documents here, and the goal is to get the reader to understand and be satisfied with your work. It's not just about 'making movesets'. As for creativity, playstyles and new concepts, I think that is all of the above in terms of wants. There is no specific single want. To make it great, they have to come together, as must everything good. This is why great novels and films exist. MYM is like a writing school. Perhaps that's kind of what I think of it as, but the concept of visualising your favourite character in Brawl is a great one, as to why people make extras. For fun.

EDIT: Sorry about the Kasier's sm guys. Didn't think that you'd take it this harshly. I'll leave it at that. I wasn't trying to steal anything.

KingK.Rool

Smash Lord
I agree with HR; how could I not? I did make caterpie, after all, which was all about, as Neherazade said,

LET OTHERS FIGURE IT OUT FOR THEMSELVES.
Yeah, I still love caterpie. You can all say what you will for The Elves' veiled moveset, the point there is that you don't need to understand it, but caterpie is a hodgepodge of very specific attacks and a singularly fitting goal that also happens to have been made in about an hour and a half. Bah, I say, to your one-day Pokesets. ;)

I've noticed lately that more and more people are indenting their comments and/or color-coding them. You blackguards (yes, Junahu, that means you :mad:).

We have Venusaur first, anyway, and I approve of any Plant-based movesets - is this the most underused Pokemon types, or what? - so this is a bit of a treat. Surely, it has quite a few of the old Warlord standby ideas, which is to be expected from a one-day Pokeset, but it also implements them in fairly interesting ways. My favorite concept, of course, is forcing star KOs, but I was disappointed to see that Venusaur had no strategies to keep the foe from resorting to horizontal KOs altogether - wouldn't Ingrain be a perfect fit for his playstyle, keeping him locked in place unless the foe hits him with enough force directly upwards to uproot him? I suppose you missed that because the set was rushed, but it's still quite unfortunate.

That said, it's a pleasant little set, and it's nice to see an unabashedly defensive set that nonetheless does it mostly without stage control.

Dude, why did you do this to yourself? I'm referring, of course, to Shedinja, who could have been your best set yet if you'd put a little more time into it. In today's day and age, when only Shadow goes back to improve his sets, I won't bother suggesting you try to fix up the flaws. It's got some insane, brilliant ideas (using stocks as a resource?), not the least of which is its unique and fitting kill method. I wouldn't rebuke you for joining the Pokeset fad, but seriously, you couldn't have picked a more boring Pokemon to rush? ;)

Skimming past an old post by KK promising edited-in comments...

My hero! Let me tell you, I've considered making Bellsprout many times, just for the sake of that old Pokemon episode, and probably my favourite one ever, just for that clip you linked in. I remember watching that and my jaw dropping - Bellsprout, beat Pikachu? Impossible!

Anyway, this is a really lovely little set for as long as it stays focused on dominating a small patch of the stage and reducing the foe to your own spindly level. I'm also sort of fond of the acrobatics, although I would hope for more attacks that see Bellsprout shifting around his hurtbox; that's how he fought in the anime, no? That said, you seem to forget your own central concept at times and the writing style is still too enthusiastic and broken up to make the set feel like a serious entrant.

On the same page, we have Swalot, and I can't say I'm enthralled by his flexible playstyle; the alternate KO method is all very well and good, but really, many characters can KO with one of their throws by the time the foe's at 200% anyway, so it feels a bit superfluous. The moveset is very fitting to that blob, to be sure, and it's enjoyable to read, never taking itself too seriously, like most of your better sets. And that NAir is a total ripoff of Ekans' DAir. (smirk)

More Poison-types? Blast! Well, at least it's Arbok, an interesting choice with some pretty wild differences from my take on Ekans. Like all of your sets, there's a lot of thought put into it, and every move seems to interlock and play a role in his gameplan; it's a smart set, well-made and potentially very feasible. I don't like reducing playstyles to one sentence and the way you do it at the moveset's end leaves a bitter taste in my mouth, but that's my only gripe.

My last comment for today, I think, is Ninetales. My problem with this set's conception is not that you drew on the Pokedex for inspiration - that's all very well and good - but that you're actively forcing the opponent to grab you, which doesn't seem in line with the whole Ninetales-doesn't-want-you-grabbing-its-tail concept. My problem with this set's execution is that it just isn't very interesting after you get past the novelty of restricting the foe's options - and a set for such a unique Pokemon should keep the reader interested. I think I'd probably have a ball playing with Ninetales, provided that the rushed bits were smoothed over, but it's a pretty flawed set and you and everyone else seem to know it.

I'm inching my way toward being caught up, isn't that nice? :bee:

MasterWarlord

Smash Champion
That's actually a pretty nice idea you've got there that'd of fit pretty snugly into Venusaur's playstyle, Rool. Can't say it ever ocurred to me once. . .Though that'd probably end up making Venusaur go off the overpowered end. Perhaps if I'd of nerfed the healing and put that in? Yes, that'd be an intruiging concept. You're actually tempting me to go back to edit him.

On lag, needless to say, this is why I preferred my old system for lag of simply comparing it to the lag on existing moves. It has much more immediate meaning to everyone assuming they actually play the bloody game and doesn't get into all this complicated stuff. That said, I don't find doing this form of lag a chore to do at this point, it's very natural and something I can do without thought. It'd take more thought to find a way to describe the lag vaguely, if anything. As for durations, I do tend to say how long a hitbox lasts if it's particularly notable, generally if it's out for a long time, so that's like priority in a sense in that it only needs to be mentioned when notable.

If you feel uncomfortable with nothing else, you can use the generic "low/below average/average/above average/high" terms for stuff, particularly lag, but don't just leave it blank. Seeing you lot somehow can't gather that Kel'Thuzad can use his Mana Shield while moving and attacking, I'm sure as hell not going to gather that your broken KO move actually has Warlock Punch lag.

CaIRne (Not CaRIne, for the last bloody time) is a perfectly intelligent character, not a beast, and is a protagonist (Yes, heavyweight and ugly does not automatically mean evil). Illidan is an antagonist, I imagine you thought he was a protagonist because I showed him before his fall in my age old MYM 5 SM, though due to his moveset quality he probably shouldn't show up anyway.

I could go on forever with the mass disgusting depictions you have up there, but you shouldn't be hijacking Kaiser's SM so quickly, Katapultar. He's still very much out and about. . .That, and if you want your SM to be read, you'd best not make the main character somebody just for you while all the other characters people are reading it for are unrecognizable based off your wonky takes on the characters.

darth meanie

Smash Journeyman
I've noticed lately that more and more people are indenting their comments and/or color-coding them. You blackguards.
I was just trying it out, not stealing your style. I wanna differentiate my comments a bit, try something new.

Get other people to copy what I do.

KingK.Rool

Smash Lord
I was just trying it out, not stealing your style. I wanna differentiate my comments a bit, try something new.

Get other people to copy what I do.
I was thinking of Junahu, Wiz, Khold, and a few others, not you, actually, meanie. And anyway, I have no quibble with my style being stolen. Was just pointing it out as a talking point. ;)

Postpostpost, spamspamspam. The thread's ridiculously slow at the moment; at this rate, I'll be able to edit in my newest comments in this post on Saturday and people will still notice.

Neherazade

Smash Journeyman
GWAHAHA! This thread is being spammed! With an important update!

Krazy's/My set is almost finished... well, the write-up is. Grrrr... tedious work. Anyway, we only have to write playstyle and Matchups and we'll be done. so... G'Luck? Expect us soon... and DON'T END MYM7 YET!

Monkey D. AWESOME

Smash Apprentice
GWAHAHA! This thread is being spammed! With an important update!

Krazy's/My set is almost finished... well, the write-up is. Grrrr... tedious work. Anyway, we only have to write playstyle and Matchups and we'll be done. so... G'Luck? Expect us soon... and DON'T END MYM7 YET!
I agree. DON'T END IT YET!

I'm about halfway done with Luffy. He has a alternate character (sort of), so his moveset's going to take a little longer. Don't worry; I think Luffy will be worth the wait!

Neherazade

Smash Journeyman
I agree. DON'T END IT YET!

I'm about halfway done with Luffy. He has a alternate character (sort of), so his moveset's going to take a little longer. Don't worry; I think Luffy will be worth the wait!
Hmmmm... alt char? will this be anything like Ryuk's withdrawal form? or is it a Zelda/Shiek type form?

Anyway, I hear MYM7 is ending in around 2 weeks (correct me if I'm wrong) so we's got to finish quick!

Madarabuu

Smash Rookie
Im new to posting at this board but I have followed MYM since the very first one. I was wondering if any body would be willing to help me with ideas for a moveset and technical things such as BB coding?

Neherazade

Smash Journeyman
Im new to posting at this board but I have followed MYM since the very first one. I was wondering if any body would be willing to help me with ideas for a moveset and technical things such as BB coding?
Ai-yai-yai. I'm not too good with coding. But for the most part, just write sets as they come into your head. Write down everything IMMEDIATELY when you think of it (if you can) and you'll go back and edit things as they come up. Write STATS first, but revise them slightly to match the character at the end, too. when you write a set, do it in wordpad (or word, or corel, etc.) first. Then paste everything into an "advanced post" box. THEN add the coding. I'm not too good with appearance, but flat-out HOW TO CODE? just use advance post-boxes. highlight the text you want to change and click one of the icons at the top of the box to add the coding. It's that simple. when you are done, use "preview post" to make sure everything worked correctly. Finally, copy everything WITH THE CODING and put it in another word document. Save that, so if something goes awry, you still have your changes. That's all I can think of, and welcome to MYM! (though you aren't new, are you?)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom