• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Making Sonic broken

JiangWei23

Smash Journeyman
-Make Spin Dash/Charge priorities among the highest in the game
-Dair or Up+B is a spike

IMO, that's all you would need to suddenly place Sonic on top. Increasing his damage output I'm 50/50 on, since I don't find it that much of a problem.

Discuss?

8r0k3n

Smash Cadet
if only
ifonly
i hate how low his priority is, but it can also come in handy
=]

J18

Smash Journeyman
If he had just one little spike, I'd be happy. But no. DK gets 86 different ways to spike people. Sonic: zero.

samper

Smash Cadet
Sonic's whole move set seems half hazard to me. I mean, 4 or 5 of his moves are copied right out of other characters move sets, two of his specials are painfully similar (yes I am aware of the differences, but come on, two spin dashes?) and the only item from his games that he uses is the spring, unless you want to count his final smash.

It just feels like his move set in this game doesn't accurately reflect him, and if you want to avoid his 3d games entirely there's still the shields from Sonic 3, the tricks and slides from the advance series, the burst attack from rush, and a bunch of other stuff they could have used. At the very least if Sonic was a last second finish or something Sakurai could have made his attack speed faster, because for the fastest thing alive Sonic sure is slugish when it comes to hitting people.

p.s. not advertising for a broken move set, just a more accurate/"full" move set.

dj asakura

Smash Ace
Priority would be nice, as would a better more useable d-air. As a spike it would be AWESOME but I'd even take something like Fox's d-air. Make it more useful.

Camalange

BRoomer
NNID
Camalange
3DS FC
1160-9836-5007
Switch FC
SW-4197-1438-9208
I think the reason why sonic wasn't given top priority was to AVOID him being broken

Fire4All

Smash Cadet
They should have taken out his swimming machanic (make it FEEL more like you're playing Sonic.) Trade that in for power and priority...at least over...peanuts....really. If you can break the sound barrier, I don't think peanuts should stop you.....

I'd gladly make that trade....though swimming doesn't feel good to me anyway....

Camalange

BRoomer
NNID
Camalange
3DS FC
1160-9836-5007
Switch FC
SW-4197-1438-9208
make sonic acually be able to kill.
Sonic CAN kill, it's just a little more trickier.
Bair=Kill (Also bair them into side of the stage=Spike!)
Fair+Fair+60% damage or higher+off the stage=Knocked them so far aside that they just die=KILL!

~L~

Smash Cadet
Fair+Fair+60% damage or higher+off the stage=Knocked them so far aside that they just die=KILL!

Aside from bair at high percents. Those moves are highly situational.

M@v

Subarashii!
F air is ok, but its not enough knockback. Its moreso for racking up damage, like U smash ^_^

B air and F smash are his two main kill moves. HOWEVER, they are pretty bad. B air is usually around 160ish for middle weights, and it has a slow start up time(thats almost all b airs though). I do admit, Fsmash isnt too bad. It can send middleweights to their deaths at about 120-140. But, its a tad bit slow. Most importantly though, its range is HORRIBLE. You have to be standing right next to the guy, pretty much in grab range, to connect. This is bad because the enemy can:
a. spot dodge-anything he wants
b. roll away
c. possibly grab you before fsmash is done. Fox probably can, his grab speed is crazy. Ive grabbed people before they finished d smashes with him.

FrostByte

Smash Lord
Sonic's Fsmash almost has as much range as Marth's. The pull back enables him to blank attacks that would usually hit him. Combined with Stutter stepping and Smash tilting, it's actually really effective.

If Sonic's grab range was anything like his fsmash range, he'd be godly.

Camalange

BRoomer
NNID
Camalange
3DS FC
1160-9836-5007
Switch FC
SW-4197-1438-9208
Sonic's Fsmash almost has as much range as Marth's. The pull back enables him to blank attacks that would usually hit him. Combined with Stutter stepping and Smash tilting, it's actually really effective.

If Sonic's grab range was anything like his fsmash range, he'd be godly.
Yeah a lot of people think Sonic has bad fsmash range but it's actually pretty good (especially the stutter stepping as mentioned)
A nice trick to help with grabs though is to run right by them and do a quick turn around grab. works pretty effectively unless the opponent has a projectile or long range.

ShadowLink84

Smash Hero
F air is ok, but its not enough knockback. Its moreso for racking up damage, like U smash ^_^
and pressuring off the stage.
B air and F smash are his two main kill moves.
no Uair/Dsmash?

HOWEVER, they are pretty bad. B air is usually around 160ish for middle weights,
at the edge of the stage it kills at around110% not bad.
MK's Dsmash does roughly the same.

Rack up damage iff its an issue/

and it has a slow start up time(thats almost all b airs though).
little lag time aftering being used though which is good.

I do admit, Fsmash isnt too bad. It can send middleweights to their deaths at about 120-140.
114% center of FD no DI.

DI screws everone over SOnic is no exception.
But, its a tad bit slow.
But little cooldown at the end.

Most importantly though, its range is HORRIBLE.
Stutterstep. it problem solved.
You have to be standing right next to the guy, pretty much in grab range, to connect. This is bad because the enemy can:
Most characters can get grabbed out of their Fsmash though except because the lack disjointed hitboxes.

a. spot dodge-anything he wants
They can't, the cooldown time is little and I have yet to be punished for it when I space properly.
b. roll away
*points to other Fsmashers as well as MK*
c. possibly grab you before fsmash is done. Fox probably can, his grab speed is crazy. Ive grabbed people before they finished d smashes with him.
[/quote]
You can grab Fox, Falco and many other characters out of their Fsmash as well. you're pointing out things that can be done to other characters as well, does that mean their smashes are bad?

JiangWei23

Smash Journeyman
A-are you talking about me, Teh Umby? Sonic was my main until I shifted him to my second...

R4ZE

Smash Ace
ok first of all... shadowlink pwned every1.

and since this has become a "why sonic is good vs why sonic is bad" thread..

don't forget about sonic's uber chase game, and the fact that he is considered med weight with nearly unlimited recovery.

His dair, up-b, and spindashes/running speed allow him to maneuver around ina ll degrees wayyyyy faster than any other character, and he has a bostful sheild. His dodges are atleast usable. His "Avoidance" game is unreal. plus he can combo as good as most brawl characters. Even a novice sonic can land 30% or more with spindash combos... and lastly.

Charging smashes is very overlooked imo. when u charge D-smash and fsmash, they come out faster than if u just execute them out-right... PLUS they have more damage and knockback. its really somthing that u need to utilize with sonic if u plan on killing at 120% or lower.

Tenki

Smash Hero
ib4l

His dair, up-b, and spindashes/running speed allow him to maneuver around ina ll degrees wayyyyy faster than any other character, and he has a bostful sheild. His dodges are atleast usable. His "Avoidance" game is unreal. plus he can combo as good as most brawl characters. Even a novice sonic can land 30% or more with spindash combos... and lastly.
Novices fail and hit 15-20% combos :[

a third kill move~ lol
When I'm sandbagging and have at least a stock lead, I'll kill with U-throw.

Yes, U-throw.

this thread should close
amen.

MarKO X

Smash Champion
NNID
legendnumberM
3DS FC
2595-2072-2390
Switch FC
Sonic would be broken if his upB did damage in terms of the hi-speed jump itself. Imagine that.

Dragonbreath

Smash Ace
Spikes. SPIKES. The REALLY annoying thing about that is that Sonic has such an obvious spike from his original games. In Sonic battle, the Axe Kick was his signature move. And it was awesome. And it spiked. Instead, for some reason, we got Shadow's air attack.

SHADOW BLOWS.

Grr...An easy way to make Sonic broken would to make his Dair able to Footstool jump in the middle of it. Edgegaurd < Edgekill.

Browny

Smash Hater
the dair semi spike is good enough. not too many characters can recover if you sweetspot it off-stage. considering how difficult it is to spike anyway, ive probably gotten more kills using the dair semi-spike than i ever have actually spiking someone, unless its ganondorf, coz i make sure all my kills are by that :p

Orange_Soda_Man

Smash Ace
the dair semi spike is good enough. not too many characters can recover if you sweetspot it off-stage. considering how difficult it is to spike anyway, ive probably gotten more kills using the dair semi-spike than i ever have actually spiking someone, unless its ganondorf, coz i make sure all my kills are by that :p
agreed. off stage dair is teh-savvy. Same with spring-shoving.

Top Bottom