• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Making Squirtle's Sunglasses/Shades more durable/invulnerable?

~ Valkyrie ~

Holy Maiden Warrior
Premium
NNID
IndyGo98
3DS FC
2793-0906-0731
Switch FC
SW-7670-7999-3483
I had discussed a bit about not liking how fragile Squirtle Squad Sunglasses/Shades are because I want to use it as an equable headgear and annihilate foes while wearing Squirt's epic shades. So far I was answered it's used to boast badassness by not letting yourself get hit while trying to kick as much *** as possible.

I though find this easter egg gimmick quite "irksome and impractical" at best and my only choice is not use the shades because how fragile they are, which really downs me since I seriously loved Ash's Squirtle and his shades. So far I've even heard joking statements from some people such as "you don't deserve to use them if you get hit carelessly", which I don't really like to hear because it makes me now shun upon using the shades because it favours more towards the very experience players rather than everyone (including the casual audience).

Firstly: why can't they be made more durable? Something akin to Kirby's Copy Ability Hats where "strong" hits shatter them off?
Getting out a stock while wearing them is bit stretching it because how fragile these are, since not most people are capable of doing this.
I had also suggested to make them actually an optional togglable headgear for the Up-Taunt but I think many would agree more on making it more durable since you wish to keep your thing going with the shades.

On to the second point: I can see where you guys are coming from about why shades are made as fragile as possible but now the shades' badassness is just limited to those being very good players who can brutally beat up their opponents without getting hit: that's just making shades less viable to regular play aside from (sometimes) competitive setting because "puny" players/casuals who also might like them can't get to use it because they lose it so easily. It's limiting the use of shades for them and I don't think it's a very good direction behind these if it just favours the very good players.

While I'm far from being bad, I don't want to blame myself from being "not good enough to keep them" because I'm not being able to hold them for more than 10 seconds. That's just stretching the "impractility" of the whole easter egg. I dunno about you guys but I just want to use them regularly yet I get now a feeling getting the best out of it is now exclusive to "perfect" players (depending how long they can keep it).

Shortly: Make them more durable- (or heck, invulnerable if it's not much of a stress.) And if you feel like it, let us toggle them on and off too. At least let them be more compelling to regular audience rather than competitive players who are capable of chipping away damage without getting hit. I love the easter egg but I just wish it wasn't having such a huge drawback which makes the shades put solely on wearing SS Shades on "Perfect Playing/Badass Playing U CAN'T TOUCH THIS"-styled playing: which I find really limiting to people who want to use them regularly and aren't good players (because not everyone is so why they can't enjoy Squirtle Squad Squirtle too?).

Or PMBR could release a skin which has the shades. I wanted to find one from Brawl Vault but they aren't the same as this one which is rendered properly.

There then, hope this isn't too much to tell about: I don't want to sound nitpicky but this is my honest opinion on the easter egg and I really want to use it but it's execution isn't just working for me at this point. And I don't get why I should try to go for perfectionism just to use them because that's where this easter egg becomes more of a disappointment for me then.

McNinja

Smash Ace
Honestly, I'm pretty bad as well but I use the shades as a motivation for me to get better lol. The better I get, the longer I get to keep them. I kinda like that only good Squirtles can use them.

But I do think you should be able to get more than one pair of shades per stock. I don't like that you're limited to one pair.

:phone:

cmart

Smash Lord
My suggestion is to bug someone to make a shades skin. The current implementation is unlikely to change.

~ Valkyrie ~

Holy Maiden Warrior
Premium
NNID
IndyGo98
3DS FC
2793-0906-0731
Switch FC
SW-7670-7999-3483
My suggestion is to bug someone to make a shades skin. The current implementation is unlikely to change.
Maybe I'd go do so but on the other hand I'm a minority here to get enough vocal outcry for that to happen at the moment. And I don't know who to turn at to make one.

I still think this easter egg really turns off the ones who don't want to play seriously and if anything it's going over-the-top with the idea of "being badass and invicible" because it now punishes players who aren't good yet don't care to become better just to keep the shades longer. Besides like I said, one will always get hit at some point, which makes this "badassness" more fragile and short-lived than it should be- and it's unimpressive.

What's the point of making these almost exclusive for good players only? (And by that I mean for those who can keep them on for long times without getting hit and so on)? Was this to encourage the casual players to get better or they're punished for not doing so? And what if I don't want to become be-

"Don't use shades then-"

But I want to. But they're only limited to good players. Which I find rather unfair to the fans of Shadey Squirtle who aren't good players. There never wasn't ever any news on shades being "only to be worn by good players" by PM's official site or announcements, anyway. So why yank the chain of the casual players with this major drawback?

Honestly, I'm pretty bad as well but I use the shades as a motivation for me to get better lol. The better I get, the longer I get to keep them. I kinda like that only good Squirtles can use them.
"Only good squirtles can use them"? But that is now punishing non-competitive players here.
I thought PMBR would have made it accessible for EVERYONE instead of "good squirtle players". They were promoting the implemention of them in Squirtle's showcase video, right? Of course people who are the anime fans must've loved to see it but if they're not good (or plan to become good), then of course they'll be set on a disappointment.

This must be the only think in PM that is setting the two different communities of the game apart. I don't know if that's a way of a good direction. (Or you could make more these kind of "good players-only" easter eggs for more players.)

But I do think you should be able to get more than one pair of shades per stock. I don't like that you're limited to one pair.
Maybe that, or make them more durable. Give us not-so-good-squirtle-players a bit of motivator to keep them on rather than just straight punishing us for not being good players enough to keep them as long as we like. Or would it seriously dumb down the badassness of the shades? At least they're still fragile, but not absolutely so.

For example 6 weak hits or 2-3 strong hits and they break. Or one Falcon Punch or similar and they break. I'd actually would love to use them then in the same manner as you guys, but at the moment they're too fragile for me to get into this "bandwagon".

shanus

Smash Hero
Are you complaining about an easter egg we made that is purely comical and entirely optional?

We do this for fun, so please stop complaining because this argument is beyond frivolous. If you want Squad glasses permanently then please request a costume that has one.

~ Valkyrie ~

Holy Maiden Warrior
Premium
NNID
IndyGo98
3DS FC
2793-0906-0731
Switch FC
SW-7670-7999-3483
Are you complaining about an easter egg we made that is purely comical and entirely optional?

We do this for fun, so please stop complaining because this argument is beyond frivolous. If you want Squad glasses permanently then please request a costume that has one.
Yes. And I can see you did it for fun. But I find it rather impotent in means of execution. (And beyondfrivolous? Really?)
But if it was optional entirely, then why did you make it so impractical at first place? A joke easter egg? I think many would have lived with them being toggleable which makes them still optional, but more accessible to everyone as an easter egg. (and by toggleable, being able to put them on and off in the same manner as the current Squad Glasses easter egg).

I thought dropped the request for asking them to be permanent (if anything, I was originally asking them to be invulnerable, but toggleable) because so many people here were liking it this way and I saw it's no use asking them to be invulnerable, but I can't yet get into it since it's so fragile and now want them to be more durable. All I'm saying is that I'm not liking the easter egg in it's current form. It would be better if it wasn't disappearing right when I equip it in a battle because someone managed to hit me, accidentally or not. (And then gotta go lose a stock before equipping new ones).

And since so many suggest me to request a costume texture for them, then one could direct me at who I can ask this for? Because I can't think where to head for asking the same shades from PM. Brawl Vault has only something this:

Which isn't the same as P:M has at the moment.

Or better, maybe direct at some kind of a hacking guide so I can change the durability of the glasses with BrawlBox or something.

cmart

Smash Lord
Again, I'm sorry you're not satisfied with how we coded shades, but it's unlikely to change. The lack of durability is impractical even for very good players, so I don't see how this is unfairly punishing casual players.

$heen

Smash Ace
Fortunately for you, the P:M developers already built in a solution for you. You can now play vs matches with only 1 character.
Just watch out for 'dem stage hazards.

Jonny Westside

S4mus Fiend
NNID
Jonny-Westside
3DS FC
4098-3340-4061
lol this thread is completely pointless. Shanus summed it up pretty well, I suggest locking or deleting this thread.

Celestis

Smash Ace
I can't believe there was so much effort put into complaining about a silly easter egg.

~ Valkyrie ~

Holy Maiden Warrior
Premium
NNID
IndyGo98
3DS FC
2793-0906-0731
Switch FC
SW-7670-7999-3483
I can't believe there was so much effort put into complaining about a silly easter egg.
I regret nothing. It bothered me, and that's all I have as a reason to make a topic about it, and even back it up with reasonable arguments. Strange, isn't it?

Lastly, since the shades' model is exclusive for that easter egg , it's not really helping me when people suggest me to get a skin. Could just try hacking it myself then.

SpiderMad

Smash Master
You're lucky you got something, I wish Ike could throw off his bandanna when he's getting serious

Eaode

Smash Champion
lol but seriously, griping about a purely aesthetic easter egg? I could understand if it was an easter egg that had gameplay implications, like Samus' extender, but this one doesn't do anything except make you a badass.

traffic.

Smash Journeyman
Have you ever had a pair of sunglasses that survive more than 1 punch?

Banjodorf

Dynamic Duo
NNID
bluefalcon27
3DS FC
2105-8715-5493
Wait a minute, Squirtle can actually use his shades?

Translucent

Smash Journeyman
He can wear them by pressing B right when you land from the backflip with his up-taunt. They break the first time you get hit though...

dettadeus

Smash Lord
taking no knockback and keeping the shades is easy enough to test

use fox's laser against a squirtle with shades, see what happens

edit: or it's also easy enough to ask a dev

20:01:36Dettadeus hey jcaes or somebody could you test something for me real quick
20:01:37Dettadeus or just confirm
20:01:54Dettadeus do squirtle's glasses break only if he takes knockback
20:02:09JCaesar yes

RaphaelRobo

Smash Champion
In that case, my memory probably isn't correct. Maybe I got hit right after exiting withdraw and it was a phantom hit, or something like that. Although I'd recommend wording your question a bit differently next time, since I had to read that three times before understanding it. Just reverse the words break and only, and it'd be a lot better.

dettadeus

Smash Lord
the way i worded it is just as grammatically correct, although this is not a thread about proper grammar soooo

point is you can indeed armor through attacks; so long as you take no knockback, your shades will not break

RaphaelRobo

Smash Champion
Yeah, that's something useful to know. Although now I kind of wish they would break off just plain damage as well, so you'd actually have to JV5 someone in order to keep them the whole game.

And I don't know proper grammar. Or any grammar, really. I just go with what makes sense to me, and I thought I should let you know that I found that confusing. However, my reading isn't at the highest level. I had to read this 12 page paper by Seneca for class the other day, and I had no clue what he was saying. I'm sure everything he wrote was grammatically correct, but that didn't help me understand any of it.

PlateProp

Smash Master
NNID
Genericality
3DS FC
3823-8710-2486
You know...Pikachu got a pirate hat as an alt costume for like no reason.

So why not just slap Squirtle's shades on him and make it an alt costume.

Then those who want perma shades are happy, yet the Shades of Badassery still exist for the non perma Squirtles

cmart

Smash Lord
Sorry, still 100% satisfied with the current implementation. I can say that there's some cool alt stuff on the horizon that will be compatible with the shades - one of the advantages of doing them as a separate model.

Burnsy

Smash Lord
Alt(s)????

YO HYPE.

*Btw I am 100% satisfied with the glasses as they are now as well. Admission into the Squirtle Squad ain't free; you gotta put in work for those shades.

Last edited:

PlateProp

Smash Master
NNID
Genericality
3DS FC
3823-8710-2486
Eh. I dont use shades, so in the end it doesn't really affect me.

I would like more colors though. A grey/white squirtle would be neat.

didds

Smash Lord
I'm with Burnsy, and we should keep in mind that although the game can be enjoyed by casuals, it's designed to cater towards serious smashers, so I think making the easter egg fragile and hard to keep on is the right design.

Plus if it was an alt costume then it would be the only costume we'd ever see. Shades shades shades, why would I pick a plain color when I can have awesome shades? It's like m2 and his armor, 90% of m2's use that armor and it loses its appeal to me. Maybe that's just the inner hipster in me though lol

Zwarm

Smash Hero
My only problem with the shades is I wish they were darker, I don't like being able to see Squirtle's eyes behind the shades at the victory screen.

And you gotta win with the shades on. :007:

Top Bottom