• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Making the most of Shoryuken!

CR4SH

Smash Lord
OK, I want to conceptualize for a sec. Luigi has what ought to be the most feared move in the game. It can kill at stupid %, and isn't terribly hard to do. But I think it's biggest potential could be its ability to instill fear. If you get Pinged once, that leaves a lasting impression.

So I want to look into the viability of a luigi up-b setup game. It seems to me, that being proficient and agressive with it in the early stages of a match could create very favorable situations for luigi. Considering most high level play is about reading your opponent, and forcing him to do things.

I'm looking for discussion into using upb to control a match. Not necessarily to get kills, but to give your opponent something to focus on, and punish his reaction.

King_Peachee

Smash Journeyman
NNID
King_Peachee
3DS FC
3754-9306-5412
Well I've gone into a few deep discussions with opponents following several matches. Before we discussed, I noticed I was able to land shoryukens early on in the early matches. But soon enough it became more difficult to land one. Either they learned they could powershield a jab upb combo, or they changed their approach up a bit.

After speaking with a few people about it, they claimed they could not possible allow themselves to be in front of luigi. Luigi has great control over the area around him, be it dair to nair or fair to nair or utilt combos to upsmash or dthrow to fair fair, the list is long. So when I realied opponents were attempted to stay away from me, this allowed me to try some different approachs. Opponents will start to roll behind you or do whatever it takes to not be right in front of you. You can read this and utilize Luigi's upsmash and can hit the opponent if he is standing behind you and is close enough.

In most matches, I've noticed all it takes it one jab shoryuken to force the opponent to stay away from luigi's face. but the great thing is there are other ways of attaining a shoryuken. You can dtilt to upb. You can fool your opponent into attacking and time your spot dodge and deliver an upb. THere are a variety of ways, you just have to see what your opponent is going to do. It's great when people get scared of the upb, they usually will stay in range of a uptilted fsmash.

Hope that helped some.

hippiedude92

Smash Hero
I like where this is going. Most people don't even know about the shoryuken. We have to learn how to abuse that reaction or how scared they are. You can always try faking them out. In most of my matchs, I don't bust it out either until is opening is out, or very later in the match, or if I need to do a turn around in the match. You can abuse roller's in many ways. Dair, Bair, Upsmash (if you hit the oppenent if their behind you, you will apply more knockback and have more range), Dsmash, (you can connect both of it's moves and actually hit them behind and front all together 16%+16%) Utilt( perfect for racking up damage at early %)

I think it's mostly prediction. It's all about what your oppenent is going to do. I like to do a spotdodge and do a shoryuken for a gurateed kill. If you like to abuse the shoryuken ( Which I don't always advise players not to) your oppenent will have to fight differently and accordily which will make them in a predictable manner. By all mean's I'm sure they will roll behind you. You can always just wait for them to roll and then punish them. Good oppenent's will not be in Luigi's range and will force you to approach with in their range, which is why spacing is crucial in Luigi's game.

LuigiKing

Smash Lord
As odd as this sounds, when an opponant is coming in from above, I can get a fairly easy uppercut simply by dashing away, letting them land, then immediately dashing back and uppercutting. May only work once, but its something to mess around with. BTW though, do what I said much faster than I explained ^_^ Should take just a split second.

Neb

Smash Lord
Just a little question, what are some solid ways of pulling off Shoryuken?
Aside from the ones already mentioned.

hippiedude92

Smash Hero
Just a little question, what are some solid ways of pulling off Shoryuken?
Aside from the ones already mentioned.
Some ways are like Dtilt tripping. I was messing around with this today with my matchs boy did it set me up some good shoryukens and Fsmashs :laugh: If they're coming from above you and they intend to do a Dair, I usually spotdodge then shoryuken but sometimes work like 60% of the time depending how fast they powershield and how crappy their Dair *coughs Charizard*

Also a fireball up close or maybe about mid-distance away from you and your oppenent. As soon as that hitstun comes, let them have it!!! Although I wouldn't really rely on this much.

SparkEd

Smash Journeyman
On Battlefield, in the instance an opponent recovering from above, go onto one of the lower platforms, start to WALK off of it, Fireball as you fall. It'll stun them long enough for you to stop sliding and SHORYUKEN right at the edge!

There's so many weird instances I get of people trying to grab the edge to avoid getting BAir'd that The Falling Fireball to Edge Fire Punch could be redeemable. I digress though, it seems situational T_T Like, I've pulled it off on an MK before but he sucked anyway XD Depends largely on fall rate, so you'd have to time it.

EDIT: Heck, if you're good enough, You can probably pull off SH Fireball towards them=>Aerial Fire Punch. It's very unexpected as his Aerial Fire Punch isn't exactly...easier to aim. But it's a good effort to try one nonetheless.

xiferp

Smash Apprentice
I don't remember exactly who this was, but I watched a match where he did this twice: Ledgehopped fireball to jab~>shoryuken. Those looked great.

CR4SH

Smash Lord
Excellent!

I love the discussion this has started. You guys make great points, especially since I hadn't had in mind how many other options luigi has at that range. I run into the same problem with the jab powershield reaction, and I think a great way to mix it up is to lead your jab into a grab the first couple times, I think it leaves them fairly open on subsequent opportunities. Granted, you may not get that many chances to jab combo in a match, but its an idea.

I've been watching a lot of matches by this luigi in particular, Boss, in large part because of how creatively he seems to use my favorite move. One situation he seems to get alot of mileage out of is during an opponent's landing.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2sd0L6_Kj7o
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vEZPTOgsc-o

I agree completely that it's entirely situational, but I think alot of us, if we kept it in the back of our minds, could pull off a shoryuken in situations where we habitually Dsmash etc. More importantly, probably, is that "going in for a firepunch" is generally just going to get you killed, but I like the idea of faking going for one, especially at the end of a match. If an opponent knows you, and you're down during the last stock, they know you're looking for an upb somewhere (or at least I am). Faking a shoryuken rush could set you up to predict your opponent's reaction.

This is the most powerful killing move in the game, and I think it really ought to be a staple of any luigi's arsenal. If someone says "Luigi" and SHORYUUUKEN! automatically comes to mind, thats an advantage even before the match starts. Moreover, I think finding new and better ways to implement it could be one of luigi's biggest areas for potential and growth.

boss8

Smash Hero
I only use B-up when.....

A....my opponent is better then me......or i can lure them into falling for a B-up...

B.....to gain a stock lead so that i dont hafe to worry about who's winning...

C.....in teams my partner gets a grab i will B-up the opponent....(depending on percentage wise)

D........landing lagg/mindgames......last stock situations....like if im at 120% and my opponent is at 30%/40%.....my opponent will say...well obviously he is going for B-up but i will normally jab...Dsmash....jab...grab...leaving them on the edge cause Dsmash has good knock back....and luigi's Bthrow can kill at like 150%......so that leaves them with 3 options.....spotdodge.....shield.....or attempt to grab......now thats when your mindgames come in to play......you can jab him then walk away...then he will be like..WTF???.....cause he is scared of getting B-uped....which normally leads to them making mistakes.........

BTW luigi can move cancel....it's ridicolous....

PrinceMarthX

Smash Journeyman
The best way to use it is during a barrage of attacks. Purposely getting close only to jab makes it painfully obvious what you're up to. But if that jab came after another attack then they probably won't see it coming.

hippiedude92

Smash Hero
I only use B-up when.....

A....my opponent is better then me......or i can lure them into falling for a B-up...

B.....to gain a stock lead so that i dont hafe to worry about who's winning...

C.....in teams my partner gets a grab i will B-up the opponent....(depending on percentage wise)

D........landing lagg/mindgames......last stock situations....like if im at 120% and my opponent is at 30%/40%.....my opponent will say...well obviously he is going for B-up but i will normally jab...Dsmash....jab...grab...leaving them on the edge cause Dsmash has good knock back....and luigi's Bthrow can kill at like 150%......so that leaves them with 3 options.....spotdodge.....shield.....or attempt to grab......now thats when your mindgames come in to play......you can jab him then walk away...then he will be like..WTF???.....cause he is scared of getting B-uped....which normally leads to them making mistakes.........

BTW luigi can move cancel....it's ridicolous....
That's a pro post from a pro player who has a crazy Luigi even tho doesnt main him at all lol. I should try D espically the jab and walk away part. What do you mean by move cancel? >_>

Vist

Smash Champion
One thing I haven't seen anyone mention yet is grab releasing warios into aerial up Bs. I usually don't go for it in serious matches but it does work if you get the timing right.

move cancel makes luigi moves 2x faster i will have a vid up soon.....
hmmm possibly something i haven't seen yet? or a different name for something already known....

boss8

Smash Hero
One thing I haven't seen anyone mention yet is grab releasing warios into aerial up Bs. I usually don't go for it in serious matches but it does work if you get the timing right.

hmmm possibly something i haven't seen yet? or a different name for something already known....
yea vist i was using it vs G-reg idk if you were there or not but it's just like L canceling except.....you do it before u hit the ground so basically instead of doing one arieal slow.....u can simotaniously do areials all the time....basically untouchable....i do it with mario to....wario sadly cant do it....

Vist

Smash Champion
yea vist i was using it vs G-reg idk if you were there or not but it's just like L canceling except.....you do it before u hit the ground so basically instead of doing one arieal slow.....u can simotaniously do areials all the time....basically untouchable....i do it with mario to....wario sadly cant do it....
nah i didn't see it but it sounds like sjr-ing aerials ::blues shrug::

ALiAsVee

Smash Ace
i use his shoryuken to start off a match actually xD. I don't know if that sounds newbie or not. What i do is quickly land a shothopped dair > nair > shoryuken. It racks up about 40% and gets your opponent all tense and shocked (especially if he has never played against a luigi), which i find to lead to more mistakes on his part.

The bad side to that is that if the opponent falls faster than luigi once the move connects, you are likely to get punished for your arrogance >:[. I have some videos of that combo in action at the start of a match that i will share with the community once i get a capture card xD.

Top Bottom