• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Man facing 16 years in prison for video taping police

Today

ლ(இДஇლ)
Cincinnati, Ohio ; Land of Happiness and Kindness
NNID
Daylightful
Source!
That Anthony Graber broke the law in early March is indisputable. He raced his Honda motorcycle down Interstate 95 in Maryland at 80 mph, popping a wheelie, roaring past cars and swerving across traffic lanes.

But it wasn't his daredevil stunt that has the 25-year-old staff sergeant for the Maryland Air National Guard facing the possibility of 16 years in prison. For that, he was issued a speeding ticket. It was the video that Graber posted on YouTube one week later -- taken with his helmet camera -- of a plainclothes state trooper cutting him off and drawing a gun during the traffic stop near Baltimore.

In early April, state police officers raided Graber's parents' home in Abingdon, Md. They confiscated his camera, computers and external hard drives. Graber was indicted for allegedly violating state wiretap laws by recording the trooper without his consent.
I feel really bad for him. 16 years in prison because he had a camera on his helmet while the police came up at him with a gun?

Video is in the source by the way!

El Nino

BRoomer
BRoomer
His military service might help him in court, if it goes to trial. He may not get the maximum sentence. Some people do less time than 16 years for violent offenses.

Stay out of prison, kids. It ain't good for ya.

Mota

"The snake, knowing itself, strikes swiftly"
That is utterly ridiculous. 16 years, really?! That's more then what drug dealers, manslaughter, whatever cases, I've seen get.

What exactly is the law regarding this? If a mother taping their kid at the park accidentally captures a cop will she go to prison too?

freeman123

Smash Lord
NNID
josephf5
This is a perfect example of police abusing their power. How is filming someone with a camera, in public, a form of wire taping? Give me a break...

Wiscus

(◕ω◕✿)
3DS FC
3840-5663-0679
That sentence is ridiculous, really 16 years? The American law system for you.
I wonder if he knew it was a cop, he was in plain clothes...I wonder if there is more to this.

UberMario

Smash Master
Absolutely bizarre, seriously how does the punishment come close to fitting the "crime"?

SkylerOcon

Tiny Dancer
Absolutely ridiculous. I'm betting that this will become the next big national drama.

Praxis

Smash Hero
BRoomer
I don't get how wiretap laws apply; I thought those were for recording telecommunications? If they're really that vague, it's an incredibly stupid law relic of a past era. Now that everyone carries devices at all times capable of violating that law with an accidental button press...(aka almost every phone on the market...)

Lawlb0t

Smash Lord
The statutes are there to defend police brutality . So when the person notifies the police that they were just recorded beating the **** out of a person or executing a defenseless submissive civilian, they will confiscate your footage claiming it will need to be reviewed and used as state evidence and when you get your camera back the video is scrambled/damage/tape is gone.

Remember these are statutes/acts and not laws.

'it's an incredibly stupid law relic of a past era' its recent and reflects this era if you have been noticing that peoples right are getting stripped from them daily.

victra♥

crystal skies
Slippi.gg
victra#0
this is something they would do in north korea :/

america can be so stupid.

#HBC | Dark Horse

Mach-Hommy x Murakami
this is something they would do in north korea :/

america can be so stupid.
I hate people like this, who take one event involving a couple of people and say it represents a whole country.

In North Korea, they would kill you for this.

victra♥

crystal skies
Slippi.gg
victra#0
This is why i chose to phrase it the way i did. America can be so stupid.

I really want to know if theres more to this story.

Shadic

Alakadoof?
NNID
Shadoof
It should not be illegal to film police. It is a citizen's one true defense against false charges. In court, the voice of an officer holds more weight than that of an average citizen.

Teran

Through Fire, Justice is Served
Super Moderator
Premium
BRoomer
3DS FC
3540-0079-4988
Wow this is great, I've seen less given for **** and child molestation.

Very often.

GreenKirby

Smash Master
NNID
NoName9999
American: We should hold the government accountable for what they do!

*after this incident*

American: How DARE this guy film the police!

Smash Master
So now cops get an expectation of privacy while in public?

How does that even work, like, logistically?

'And on the 10,000,000,000 day, God gave us nukes, because **** it we're starting over.'

NixxxoN

Smash Master
Not really, unfortunately.
where else?

This guy was an idiot for driving dangerously, and overtaking cars at the right side.
However, 16 years for tapping a cop is utterly ridiculous.
In Europe, they just make a pic of you and your vehicle and they send you the infraction at home

Top Bottom