• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Pacific West [Mar 28, 2015] High School Smash - March 28th (South Pasadena, CA)

Karmatrix

Smash Cadet
High School Smash (HSS) is a inter-high school Super Smash Bros. circuit, in which different High Schools compete against each other in Crew Battle Format. HSS also hosts monthly tournaments specially for high schoolers to compete in.

The goals of HSS are to introduce more high schoolers to the competitive smash scene, to provide a unique form of competition to high schoolers, and to create a friendly community where high schoolers can join to have fun and meet new people.

It was founded in January 2015, and is based in Southern California. The games we are featuring for the Spring 2015 Semester include Melee and Smash 4 (WiiU)

Our Website: http://smash.threesteplabs.com
FB Group: http://facebook.com/groups/highschoolsmash

This is the first installment of many to come.

--

ADDRESS: Oneonta Congregational Church – 1515 Garfield Ave, South Pasadena, CA 91030

DATE: March 28th, 2015

High Schooler only Brackets!

Brackets: http://highschoolsmash.challonge.com/

FEATURED EVENTS: Melee and Smash 4 (WiiU) singles and doubles.

$5 to enter each event, $5 each for doubles.

There will also be the opportunity for crew battles for HSS to be played throughout the tournament and after brackets have been completed.

DINNER : Most items will cost $1 each. We will be having Pizza, hot dogs, salad, drinks, and more!

VENUE FEE and PRE-REGISTRATION

With Pre-registration: $5

Without Pre-registration $8

Pre-register here: http://goo.gl/G6vypB
Check to see if you’re registered: http://goo.gl/DKFU9G

Pre-registration will end at 9 pm the day before the tournament. Don’t wait until last minute to signup.

We’re going to need as many setups as we can get! TVs, consoles, game copies, and stuff like power strips will help make the event run more smoothly.

We also need some volunteers to help make the event successful – Find more info in the pre-reg form. Volunteers will get free dinner!

Additionally, those who bring full setups (TV, console, game) will get free dinner! Power strips and extension cords are also appreciated!

SCHEDULE

9:30 – Check in opens

10:30 – Smash 4 (WiiU) Doubles Starts (Reg. ends 30m before)

11:30 – Smash 4 (WiiU) Singles Starts (Reg. ends 30m before)

1:00 – Melee Doubles Starts (Reg. ends 30m before)

3:15 – Melee Singles Starts (Reg. ends 30m before)

8:30 – Crews, MMs, Friendlies, etc.

9:30 – Cleanup Venue, Venue closes

STREAM

http://twitch.tv/highschoolsmashlive

PRIZES

Cash Payout will be determined based on # of entrants/attendees.

RULESET

MELEE:
– 4 Stocks
– 8 Minute time limit
– Items Off

– For 1st match use Stage Striking process (1-2-1)
– Legal Stages
– Neutral:
Battlefield
Final Destination
Fountain of Dreams
Yoshi’s Story
Dreamland 64
– Counterpick:
Pokemon Stadium

– Winner of the previous game bans one stage, loser picks from remaining; If winner decides to change character, they must change before the loser
– DSR: Loser may not CP to a stage they won on previously that set
– Players may NOT agree to change the # of games to be played in a set

SMASH 4 (WiiU):
– 2 Stocks
– 6 Minute time limit
– Items off

– For 1st match use Stage Striking process (1-1)
– Legal Stages:
– Neutral:
Battlefield
Final Destination
Smashville
– Counterpick:
Duck Hunt
Town & City
Halberd
Delfino Plaza
Lylat Cruise
Castle Siege

– Winner of the previous game bans one stage, loser picks from remaining; If winner decides to change character, they must change before the loser
– DSR: Loser may not CP to a stage they won on previously that set
– Players may NOT agree to change the # of games to be played in a set

GENERAL:
– Sets are Bo3; only Winners’ Finals, Losers’ Finals, and Grand Finals are Bo5
– Be considerate and respectful to other players
– Have Fun!

Note:

I will not be there this time around since I will be in Arizona this weekend. I will be having several others help TO the event instead. I hope the event runs well, and I will do my best to help prepare for it beforehand. Please do your best to follow their directions and I hope you all have a good time!

Last edited:

D_D

Smash Rookie
NNID
dillondavis32
I'd like to go to this tournament, but I'd like to know how big a crew typically would be for this tournament. Me and my friends have been playing with each other for too long, so we're trying to enter the tournament scene. I also saw in one of the brackets that one of the teams is "Newport-Mesa USD" which is the district we're from. There would be five of us there from Corona del Mar so would we be allowed to be a separate crew from NMUSD? If any of this doesn't make sense to you ask me. I know about tournaments, but I'm clueless about crew battles other than the basic scheme of it.

Last edited:

Karmatrix

Smash Cadet
Typical crews consist of 4 players.

Also, to clarify, this tournament, and the HSS bracket are two different things.

Not all of the high schools will be playing at this tournament. The HSS bracket is a drawn out tournament between high schools over 3 months. The Spring 2015 semester already started, so it is unfortunately too late to register.

This tournament is just a regular tournament with both melee and smash 4 events, inviting all high schoolers to participate.

Most of the other info can be found on our website and facebook page -- be sure to read about us. If you have any more questions let me know.

Hope this helps!

Karmatrix

Smash Cadet
Yes,

This events' brackets are also high schooler only. The goal of HSS is to promote and grow the smash scene, specifially in high schools, and this is one way we accomplish this.

Hope this helps!

MintChipper

Smash Journeyman
NNID
TonyEH
3DS FC
2793-1055-4457
I'm a couple of blocks away from the venue but I can't go this week sadly. Do you have a schedule of events?

Last edited:

Karmatrix

Smash Cadet
We're planning to host these monthly.

We may start hosting them biweekly in the summer as well.

Dr. Barrio

Smash Rookie
I'd like to go to this tournament, but I'd like to know how big a crew typically would be for this tournament. Me and my friends have been playing with each other for too long, so we're trying to enter the tournament scene. I also saw in one of the brackets that one of the teams is "Newport-Mesa USD" which is the district we're from. There would be five of us there from Corona del Mar so would we be allowed to be a separate crew from NMUSD? If any of this doesn't make sense to you ask me. I know about tournaments, but I'm clueless about crew battles other than the basic scheme of it.
Ayyyy NMUSD captain right here
we're basically a crew with Estancia and Early College High School. I think you guys can just be a separate crew "CDM"

Top Bottom