• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Mario Advanced Techniques Discovery Thread

Bedoop

Poyon
NNID
$50.00 / $??.??
3DS FC
0877-1726-4217
...Or the MADTDT for short.
Not going to be doing anything special with this thread, because I also have a Moveset Discussion to run over in the Toolbox. :4mario:
ATs I know
Cape Brake
Remember Mr. Game & Watch's Bucket Brake, where if you get launched horizontally and use the Bucket you stop all momentum?
Well, sadly, they removed that technique for Mr. Game & Watch, as far as I know...
...And gave it to Mario.
That's right folks, Mario can use his Cape to stop his Momentum now. The Cape Glide is gone, but hey. More Survivability. I have tested it on many occasions, and it does work.
(Discovered by Me, too. :3)

Double Dair
Simple as the title, Mario can DAir twice when he short-hops. Nifty. :nifty:
Tested, it does work.

Recovery at an Angle
That's right folks, Mario can Angle his Up B.
Just pressing Up B does his normal move, Holding the direction your facing when doing the Up B makes his recovery a bit more Horizontal Based (Not by much, but it helps more than you think) and holding the Opposite Direction of the way you're facing makes Mario do the Horizontal Up B, but in the other Direction, now facing said direction, also useful for Mindgames. And you can get a more Vertical Based Up B by holding the opposite direction you're facing after the window to do a Reverse Up B, so do the Vertical Up B a bit later than the other Up B's.
Tested, it does work.

Oh, and Mario can still Walljump, too.

Last edited:

ItsRainingGravy

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-5960-2538-9300
You can do a pivot Up Smash during a dash to help with the range of the move, since the hitbox is larger behind Mario.

A2ZOMG

Smash Legend
NNID
A2ZOMG
Switch FC
SW 8400 1713 9427
Cape Brake
Remember Mr. Game & Watch's Bucket Brake, where if you get launched horizontally and use the Bucket you stop all momentum?
Well, sadly, they removed that technique for Mr. Game & Watch, as far as I know...
...And gave it to Mario.
That's right folks, Mario can use his Cape to stop his Momentum now. The Cape Glide is gone, but hey. More Survivability. I have tested it on many occasions, and it does work.​

How ironic, given I basically discovered Bucket Braking. Funny it would come back to my other old main, Mario.

I'd recommend checking to see if you can angle Mario's Up-B to land on the top platform of Battlefield from the ground. In Brawl, you did this by holding the opposite direction you were facing just slightly after the window at which you would reverse your Up-B.​

Last edited:

Bedoop

Poyon
NNID
$50.00 / $??.??
3DS FC
0877-1726-4217
How ironic, given I basically discovered Bucket Braking. Funny it would come back to my other old main, Mario.​
You discover Bucket Brake and I discover Cape Brake.
Ironic because Mr. G&W is my Super-Main in Brawl.

I'd recommend checking to see if you can angle Mario's Up-B to land on the top platform of Battlefield from the ground. In Brawl, you did this by holding the opposite direction you were facing just slightly after the window at which you would reverse your Up-B.
Tested & Confirmed.
His regular Up B alone can also get up there now, it seems.

BBC7

Smash Ace
How about the Pivot Up B? Hit an opponent with the first few frames of Up B, then quickly turn the Control Stick the other direction. I don't know if this was in previous games, but it still seems pretty useful if you want to Up B around the edges. For Dr. Mario, at least. This is actually quite useless for Mario although still possible.

Last edited:

Gardex

Smash Lord
NNID
Gardex
3DS FC
2707-1617-4394
I don't think Mario's cape glide is quite out(I'm assuming it's the thing where you fly off the ledge with it), it's just way less potent.

But I noticed something else that would happen while doing cape off the edge. If you time the cape JUST RIGHT as you run off the edge, you'll instagrab the ledge. Like, your cape will barely even activate and you'll still grab it.

Not sure how useful it is, but you guys can play with it. Timing is VERY strict, though

BoTastic!

Smash Master
NNID
BoScotty
Does anyone else use the reverse jump cancel to pivot their Usmash? Or is their an easier way to turn mario around and Usmash? It seems to not work the way it does in brawl so I jump cancel it.

Gardex

Smash Lord
NNID
Gardex
3DS FC
2707-1617-4394
Works exactly like it did in Brawl according to my experiences, although the timing is slightly different.

It's a situational thing, but definitely worth knowing about

BoTastic!

Smash Master
NNID
BoScotty
I don't know about you, but it definitely does not work the way it does in Brawl, lol. Whenever I try to reverse Usmash he just pivots.

It might be the circle Pad I.m not used to? But so far I can only reverse Usmash when I jump cancel.

Gardex

Smash Lord
NNID
Gardex
3DS FC
2707-1617-4394
You jump canceled reverse usmashes in Brawl too

Run right > turn left > jump > up smash
That's how I did it at least

Substitution

Deacon Blues
NNID
MisterVideo
I don't know about you, but it definitely does not work the way it does in Brawl, lol. Whenever I try to reverse Usmash he just pivots.

It might be the circle Pad I.m not used to? But so far I can only reverse Usmash when I jump cancel.
It could be easier with a C-stick.

BoTastic!

Smash Master
NNID
BoScotty
You jump canceled reverse usmashes in Brawl too

Run right > turn left > jump > up smash
That's how I did it at least
You didn't have to in brawl. You can just simply just Usmash the other way.

It could be easier with a C-stick.
Im not sure, I never used C stick to reverse my Usmashes but it won't hurt experimenting.

LEGOF

Smash Rookie
NNID
keimakona
3DS FC
2036-6575-6309
How does one to this cape breaking? Just cape after you get hit?

smasher1001

Smash Journeyman
How does one to this cape breaking? Just cape after you get hit?
also interested in this. On a similar but seperate note, is momentum cancelling in smash 4 like it was in brawl? that is you're sent flying so you spam your quickest move and then jumping slows momentum, or was that removed and the only slowdown is this cape breaking that I'm not sure how it functions yet. Much appreciation for whoever responds :D

Fire!

Smash Champion
NNID
Fire149
3DS FC
2809-9924-8928
Guessing it has something to do with the fact that you landed on the edge of the box.

Maybe like the Yoshi glitch? idk

ItsRainingGravy

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-5960-2538-9300
"Sorry for potato quality and demon noises."

Subscribed.

Guessing it has something to do with the fact that you landed on the edge of the box.

Maybe like the Yoshi glitch? idk
It probably has something to do with this. I assume that because the box isn't a natural object, it may have triggered a momentum glitch when you landed on the very edge of the box. And while you were landing on the edge of the box, you were in the landing lag frames of Fair. So I assume that during the landing lag of Fair, the game was storing your forward momentum of using Fair/holding forward to try to move off of the box, and then you were teleported forward after the ending lag due to the stored momentum being released at that moment.

MrM

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
0087-2818-3212
Just discovered mario can cape glide still if you have on gust cape been playingb around with it try it for yourselves :)

TTTTTsd

Gordeau Main Paint Drinker
NNID
InverseTangent

While not advanced, this is handy. Works on RosaLuma and really anyone close to Jiggs weight, although it only works on Top Platform for RosaLuma as opposed to all of them. (Also yes my voice is dorky)

A2ZOMG

Smash Legend
NNID
A2ZOMG
Switch FC
SW 8400 1713 9427
I need someone to test something very simple.

B reversing Shocking Cape. If the move works the way I think it does, it may in fact be Mario's best option for escaping traps. Doesn't mean you will run it over Gust Cape necessarily, but it will be something to keep in mind as we optimize customs for matchups.

Top Bottom