• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Mario as top tier?

S2

Smash Lord
I doubt Mario is going to be a top tier. He just plays too, "normal".

That is, Sakurai made a very specific choice to have him be an easy to play, all-around character.

With the exception of his cape, none of his moves really lend themselves to overly abusive strats. Like always, I'm sure he'll be a very decent character that is either mid or high on the tier list.

But like usual, I'm sure one of the stranger playing characters will end up being top tier.

mario-man

Smash Lord
You guys seriously need to check Gimpyfish's thread of impressions!!!

He has a statement something like this "In Melee, Mario was the all-around good character, but in Brawl he is the all-around GREAT character." then later he says "Mario fans rejoice!! He is greater than his Melee counterpart in EVERY respect"

Seriously ppl, if that doesn't sound like a top tier character, then you 1st) need to go read Gimpy's thread for a more detailed description and 2nd) if you still don't think so, then go get your brain checked. He also specifically said that Mario was deffinitely one of the best characters in the demo.

I will give you guys some grace and say that he may only be towards the top of high tier, which is waaay better than middle of the mid tier.

sorry if this sounds harsh, I'm not trying to really degrade anyone at all. Just trying to help build the excitement for the Plumber and ultimately, Brawl itself.

mario8498

Smash Cadet
I think you are all underestimating Mario. If held in a master, he can be better than fox, falco, bowser, jiggs, anyone.

mario-man

Smash Lord
In Brawl yes, but not Melee. In Melee it comes down to the mental side that makes Mario better, though I do think he was underestimated in Melee. Oh, and what's up with adding Bowser and Jiggs along with Fox and Falco?? Bowser and Jiggs suck really bad in Melee. LOL

mario8498

Smash Cadet
In Brawl yes, but not Melee. In Melee it comes down to the mental side that makes Mario better, though I do think he was underestimated in Melee. Oh, and what's up with adding Bowser and Jiggs along with Fox and Falco?? Bowser and Jiggs suck really bad in Melee. LOL
Hardly man. And Mario could've been the best in Melee. Like you said, it's mental. The right mindset and Mario is a beast.

mario brawler

Smash Journeyman
Playing Brawl until I have a seizure,nah im kiddin
You guys seriously need to check Gimpyfish's thread of impressions!!!

He has a statement something like this "In Melee, Mario was the all-around good character, but in Brawl he is the all-around GREAT character." then later he says "Mario fans rejoice!! He is greater than his Melee counterpart in EVERY respect"

Seriously ppl, if that doesn't sound like a top tier character, then you 1st) need to go read Gimpy's thread for a more detailed description and 2nd) if you still don't think so, then go get your brain checked. He also specifically said that Mario was deffinitely one of the best characters in the demo.

I will give you guys some grace and say that he may only be towards the top of high tier, which is waaay better than middle of the mid tier.

sorry if this sounds harsh, I'm not trying to really degrade anyone at all. Just trying to help build the excitement for the Plumber and ultimately, Brawl itself.
I have read the impresion just because he said all that does'nt mean he's gonna be top tier,I CAN see him in top tier but I would'nt be suprised seeing him back at mid-tier,mario was improved tho,but it also said in the thread that brawl was much more balanced than melee meaning players can play at a more equal level than having boswer fight C.Falcon in melee,honestly I don't even see the purpose of a tier list for brawl,they just help cheap player's chose a character just because he's/she's top tier/NOTE:I main mario he is my favorite video game character of my life time,incase you might think I'm being bias...:)

mario-man

Smash Lord
Okay whatever lol

just making sure you knew about that thread. Going by the SPECIFIC description of Mario by Gimpy, it seems to me like he would be at least high in the high tier. This is all of course hinging on wether they change any physics from the demo to the actual release. But then we could start debating wether or not WDing still has a chance to return and I don't wanna go there right now....

D Athier

Smash Rookie
Honestly, I like the idea that Mario has been improved, but I'm not really sure how much I would like it if he became a top tier character. Mario Mains are rare, because he's mid tier, and that's one reason why I like him. Not many people use him, and that makes you unique.

Then again, my game could only improve if he was high tier, right?

mario-man

Smash Lord
true, you have a point, but I think that Brawl is gonna be alot more balanced. So, even if Mario is high tier, it won't matter cuz every other character will be almost just as good, which completely nullifies this discussion. lol

Smashbros_7

Smash Ace
He's been buffed by ALOT! Have you seen his up B from that Online video(smashbros). It's FAR!!!, Fludd is bad, but fun to use! And his fire balls have higher priority!

MarioMasterz34

Smash Rookie
true...The Coin Jump has been upped alot! Mario should'nt be an underestimated character. he could be just as good as the rest. Fludd should not have replaced the Mario Tornado. Using it as the drill kick is weird. it will make a diffrence because i use the drill kick in melee alot so the legnth of the MT will be too laggy.

mario brawler

Smash Journeyman
Playing Brawl until I have a seizure,nah im kiddin
Okay whatever lol

just making sure you knew about that thread. Going by the SPECIFIC description of Mario by Gimpy, it seems to me like he would be at least high in the high tier. This is all of course hinging on wether they change any physics from the demo to the actual release. But then we could start debating wether or not WDing still has a chance to return and I don't wanna go there right now....
well Wdashing is pretty much out,im pretty sure Sakurai knew about Wdashing and probably I dunno did'nt like it cuz the game was never meant to be played like that lol,with the new physics enginge it'd be impossible

mario-man

Smash Lord
well Wdashing is pretty much out,im pretty sure Sakurai knew about Wdashing and probably I dunno did'nt like it cuz the game was never meant to be played like that lol,with the new physics enginge it'd be impossible
yeah well, you may notice that I said if they changed the physics. so,.....yeah LOL they probably won't but you never know what they'll do, though I'd think that would take too much time to do in just a month unless they've already been doing it.

true...The Coin Jump has been upped alot! Mario should'nt be an underestimated character. he could be just as good as the rest. Fludd should not have replaced the Mario Tornado. Using it as the drill kick is weird. it will make a diffrence because i use the drill kick in melee alot so the legnth of the MT will be too laggy.
Umm, I've heard that the MT has almost no lag time AND throws the opponent up in order to be a combo move like the drill kick.

mario-man

Smash Lord
I don't know about his hitboxes. All I know is that if you hit them it throws them up and has a lot less lag compared to Melee, but it also is no longer usable for recovery.

I like your sig btw

MarioMasterz34

Smash Rookie
Thanks you(not a typo) I think they thought of replacing the Mario Tornado's recovery with the super long coin jump punch

Smashbros_7

Smash Ace
Mario IS Top tier AND the best at E for all. This has been confirmed by gimpy and other pros!

SlayerOfEvil

Smash Apprentice
Wasn't mario on the bottom of the high tier list in Melee? If so, dunno why people are saying he's mid....

JJJ.Brawler

Smash Ace
Tiers need to stop...being made. UNLESS someone creates a good CASUAL-player tier.

Then, yes. Mario would have a strong chance. I think.

Wow, awesome idea, there should be 2 tiers, one for tournament players like the current Melee tier, and one for casual gamers like me, that are in fact good, but do not like seeing people "ShInE SpIKe" -WTF.

Although, I do wavedash all the time. :laugh:

Oh yeah, and I made a 'casual' tier list and Fox still ended up first, so it wouldn't change that much. The list took me about 3 weeks to make. Well, Fox + Captain Falcon were first. And NO it was not biased. I hate Fox.

MrOtter

Smash Journeyman
Tiers need to stop...being made. UNLESS someone creates a good CASUAL-player tier.

Wow, awesome idea, there should be 2 tiers, one for tournament players like the current Melee tier, and one for casual gamers like me, that are in fact good, but do not like seeing people "ShInE SpIKe" -WTF.

Oh yeah, and I made a 'casual' tier list and Fox still ended up first, so it wouldn't change that much. The list took me about 3 weeks to make. Well, Fox + Captain Falcon were first. And NO it was not biased. I hate Fox.
... Dude, wait. What?

REDRAGON

Smash Ace
Hardly man. And Mario could've been the best in Melee. Like you said, it's mental. The right mindset and Mario is a beast.
lol Mario fanboys....
Man, all the fanboys say "Omg my character is underestimated". lol
Whats wrong with having a bad character???
Btw Mario was not underestimated at all

Redragon

REDRAGON

Smash Ace

What in the world?!?!?

Sorry for the double post, but i had to comment on this fools post....
Dude, you need some help lol casual gamers?!?!

mario-man

Smash Lord
dude redragon, yes he was. I may be a fanboy, but I avoid being blinded by it.

A2ZOMG

Smash Legend
NNID
A2ZOMG
Switch FC
SW 8400 1713 9427
Mario as top tier is the best news ever.

Mario is like the best character ever. He freaking deserves to be top tier.

BTW, if Melee Sheik can be overpowered AND easy to use, why not Brawl Mario? Mario by far is the more important character so he should really be the better fighter anyway because he's freaking Mr. Video Game.

A2ZOMG

Smash Legend
NNID
A2ZOMG
Switch FC
SW 8400 1713 9427
How am I a fool?

I'm not a fool...:ohwell:
There is no such thing as a tier for casual gamers btw.

Tiers in games represent the results of people who have broken down the game step by step and brought characters to their best performance. And in Smash, those are tournament results. There is no way there could possibly a tier for casual gameplay.

jc1sttwin

Smash Journeyman
I think Mario deserves to be a Top Tier

I'll play with him no matter what

Chzrm3

Smash Ace
3DS FC
3926-5442-3703
You guys should be wary of subscribing to the views outlined in an 'impressions' thread so quickly. A character's 'tier' isn't determined by being able to pick up the game out of the box and 'pawn face' with him, it's after months of people perfecting every nuance of the character and finally realizing his true potential.

Top Bottom