• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Mario Boards: General Discussion

Fire!

Smash Champion
NNID
Fire149
3DS FC
2809-9924-8928
Some of the stuff I've said and done before my change is painful now for me to look at.
Don't think of it like that, think of it as it shows how you've grown as a person.

Edit: This page needs more dancing Samus.

A2ZOMG

Smash Legend
NNID
A2ZOMG
Switch FC
SW 8400 1713 9427
Mario ***** Olimar at least, so if Olimar becomes more popular in tournament thanks to BROOD or BLOOD whatever his name is, that will be good news for Mario.

Well until they figure out the matchup, but it's pretty awesome for Mario overall.

The Nutz of Norcal Deez

Smash Apprentice
i need to show you guys why TL is the bess partner ever! me and D-Bo @ R3(Norcal Regional tourney) went TL / Mario and took a game off of Sky' & Z, Erow & Zex, and winning a few i cant remember though that was back in late '09 lawl. But honestly once i get some matches recorded of our doules, i'll show you how well they compliment each other.

UberMario

Smash Master
I disagree. A skilled Mario is pretty **** against all but four characters (MK, GW, Chaingrab, and Chaingrab), and even then, the matches are winnable. With ZSS and Luigi as backup, no single character can wreck me.

Also, I have to mention that it's contradictory to say that video games are a waste of time, yet spend time on a forum talking about video games.
If the second "Chaingrab" is Falco I disagree with Mario not being able to own him, Mario's cape and FLUDD are great counters [well, FLUDD can stop Falco's recoveries anyway] against Falco's lasers and chaingrabs, besides unless your DI is bad Falco's chaingrab shouldn't be able to kill you.

By the way guys, I noticed something which may or may not be [mildly] useful to our metagame. You know how if you fully charge FLUDD, you start flashing? Well if you get hit right as you try to spray it, you'll lose the flashing animation but still have the fully charged FLUDD to use. Maybe it could be used for mindgames? The other player might not know you're still charged up, though that's the only benefit.

Dragonmaster_Omega

Smash Journeyman
@Skidd: Would that be of the same manner as caping someone who is getting hit by Luigi's shoryuken? Well it would cause the same effect. The opponent would fly faster and since they would likely be DIing the CS, then cape would make them DI the wrong way unless they expected it.

@UberMario: Honestly, against falco with Mario, if he doesn't laser camp he is usually pretty easy for me. I could even deal with his chaingrab but not lasers. Other than that he is pretty easy for me, as is G&W actually. I also noticed that. I find it quite useful sometimes actually. But i found that people tend to forget about Mario flashing since his flashing isn't exactly very prominent

@Firemario: Indeed it does <3

@XeroXen: I am not hating on it, i like the teamup, considering i main both characters >=3

Mario_ 101

Smash Ace
I disagree. A skilled Mario is pretty **** against all but four characters (MK, GW, Chaingrab, and Chaingrab), and even then, the matches are winnable. With ZSS and Luigi as backup, no single character can wreck me.

Also, I have to mention that it's contradictory to say that video games are a waste of time, yet spend time on a forum talking about video games.
Then why hasn't a Mario main won a major tourney yet? Huh? If you're so confident of yourself why don't you prove your statement by going to and winning a major tourney using those two characters you just mentioned?

And as for my comment, I'm just saying that if you're going to spend time in a competitive video game scene you should use the best character(s). Besides, it isn't the reason for me logging into this site anymore. I go on here to to say whuzzup to people that i've known on here for a while and stuff. I haven't posted in idk maybe months and I felt the need to say my comment.

Sleek Media

Smash Lord
So...Sleek, are u bad-azz?
fo rizzle

Then why hasn't a Mario main won a major tourney yet? Huh? If you're so confident of yourself why don't you prove your statement by going to and winning a major tourney using those two characters you just mentioned?
The reason low tier characters don't win tournaments frequently is because tiers are based on tournament results. Do I need to explain what that means? Never mind the fact that for each Mario, or even ZSS, there's going to be several MKs, Snakes, etc. Even if there was no balance disparity, the result should be the same given the number of entrants for each character.

I don't travel for smash, so unless a "major tourney" comes to my town, I won't be winning anything. However, I'm more than willing to prove my point if you wanna play. None of Mario's matches are unwinnable - you can win if you have enough skill. Hide behind whatever character you think will carry you across the finish line if that's what suits you. Honestly, if you can't even play as the characters you actually want to play as, then why bother in the first place?

Inferno3044

Smash Master
Tiers do represent character ability. Although they aren't always 100% right (hence why they change) most characters are within their correct tiers. When people realize a character is a lot better or a lot worse than they originally thought, they move tiers. For example, D3 and GW used to be in the top 5 but they both dropped down on the tier list because they realized a lot of faults about them (GW's smashes are stupidly slow, D3 gets ***** by quite a few characters). Olimar was originally a mid tier character but then seeing his amazing ground game, projectile, and grab game he rose up to top 10.

A2ZOMG

Smash Legend
NNID
A2ZOMG
Switch FC
SW 8400 1713 9427
Mario at least does really well against Olimar.

If he doesn't SPECIFICALLY know the matchup, you're gonna bust him up if you do your job correctly. Mario ***** campy Olimars. Serious!

The matchup gets harder if he realizes that camping doesn't work in that matchup. Either way I like that matchup a lot.

SKidd

Smash Master
I main Mario in Brawl
Secondary him in Melee (After Fox, of course)
lolmarioinssb64

A2ZOMG

Smash Legend
NNID
A2ZOMG
Switch FC
SW 8400 1713 9427
Mario at worst only loses 55/45 against Olimar anyway. The matchup can go either way for the most part depending on who puts the other on the defensive, and most Olimars don't know that camping is mostly counterproductive in this matchup, and if Olimar tries to play this matchup like he would against several other characters that he defeats through camping, he outright loses with that playstyle against Mario.

I could write pages about this matchup. I love it a lot. It's so amusing how easily Mario breaks Olimar's defenses.

Sleek Media

Smash Lord
I wouldn't mind a summary, A2Z. I'm actually not sure how to break Oli's defense. His shieldgrab and dsmash are brutal.

And for the record, I main Mario in all three Smash titles. Ooooh yeah.

vato_break

Smash Master
Mario at worst only loses 55/45 against Olimar anyway. The matchup can go either way for the most part depending on who puts the other on the defensive, and most Olimars don't know that camping is mostly counterproductive in this matchup, and if Olimar tries to play this matchup like he would against several other characters that he defeats through camping, he outright loses with that playstyle against Mario.

I could write pages about this matchup. I love it a lot. It's so amusing how easily Mario breaks Olimar's defenses.
so mario winning the matchup is based on the other players ignorance on the matchup?

UberMario

Smash Master
Mario vs. Olimar is extremely boring in my opinion, it takes forever to land a kill because Olimar (more often than not) camps on the ground while Mario "camps" in the air. If there's ever a matchup that I'd unintentionally go eight minutes for without planking being a factor, it'd be that matchup since I pretty much have to stay in the air as long as possible and try to only get close up for the kill. If I'm up a stock I might try to get Olimar off the ledge for a gimp, but I just feel safer fireball spamming him.

UberMario

Smash Master
I beg to differ, Olimar is insanely good at close range (partially because of how quiet all of his attacks are). You'll be really lucky if he opens the door for a <60% gimp if the player knows his character well.

A2ZOMG

Smash Legend
NNID
A2ZOMG
Switch FC
SW 8400 1713 9427
Mario does not beat Olimar's camping.
Au contraire, he does beat Olimar's camping.

Fireballs and Cape are too good in this matchup. Mario has more versatility with fireballs and if he's given the opportunity to space those for free, he gets in stupid easy on Olimar with semi-lingering aerials that outright WIN against most of Olimar's melee attacks and are usually safe on block in this matchup (olimar's shieldgrab is not very good in this matchup due to its low speed). The threat of fireball camping also puts a limit on Olimar's ability to pivot grab in this matchup. One Mario gets in, he has fast tilts, Jabs, and better mobility to pressure Olimar to death. Scoring a kill in this matchup is very easy once you put Olimar on the defensive, and will happen either through landing a Smash when he crumbles under pressure, Jab Cancel D-smash, or a Cape gimp which is VERY easy to land.

Cape also is incredibly good in this matchup, able to turn around F-smash and Pikmin Toss while at the same time removing latched Pikmin (D-air also removes latched Pikmin very easily). If Olimar tries to camp this matchup, he's asking for Mario to space his stuff for free, which in turn gets him ***** due to most of his attacks actually losing in head to head clashes with Mario's and due to his inability to easily punish Mario out of shield. For Mario, being allowed to space his attacks with impunity is very favorable in this matchup.

The matchup however becomes harder when Olimar actually goes aggressive. The whole point of the matchup for him is to not let Mario space for free by getting in his face before he has the chance to properly space. The reason why I think the matchup is slight advantage Olimar is because Olimar kills earlier than Mario and the range on his attacks gives him an advantage in punishing certain mistakes when Mario is put on the defensive. Case in point: Xero the ITG Penguin from Las Vegas beat my Mario at EVO 2010 not through camping, but through aggressive tactics, approaching and closing distance with his running grab, aerials, and Smashes. Other Olimars who play the matchup by camping me rather than taking intelligent risks usually get 2stocked by me.

It's entirely winnable for Mario though and totally based on momentum for the most part when the matchup is played correctly. Rich Brown for the record recently stated he thinks Mario beats Olimar. I disagree, but it's definitely a good matchup for him overall.

Kanzaki

Smash Champion
Au contraire, he does beat Olimar's camping.

Fireballs and Cape are too good in this matchup. Mario has more versatility with fireballs and if he's given the opportunity to space those for free, he gets in stupid easy on Olimar with semi-lingering aerials that outright WIN against most of Olimar's melee attacks and are usually safe on block in this matchup (olimar's shieldgrab is not very good in this matchup due to its low speed). The threat of fireball camping also puts a limit on Olimar's ability to pivot grab in this matchup. One Mario gets in, he has fast tilts, Jabs, and better mobility to pressure Olimar to death. Scoring a kill in this matchup is very easy once you put Olimar on the defensive, and will happen either through landing a Smash when he crumbles under pressure, Jab Cancel D-smash, or a Cape gimp which is VERY easy to land.

Cape also is incredibly good in this matchup, able to turn around F-smash and Pikmin Toss while at the same time removing latched Pikmin (D-air also removes latched Pikmin very easily). If Olimar tries to camp this matchup, he's asking for Mario to space his stuff for free, which in turn gets him ***** due to most of his attacks actually losing in head to head clashes with Mario's and due to his inability to easily punish Mario out of shield. For Mario, being allowed to space his attacks with impunity is very favorable in this matchup.

The matchup however becomes harder when Olimar actually goes aggressive. The whole point of the matchup for him is to not let Mario space for free by getting in his face before he has the chance to properly space. The reason why I think the matchup is slight advantage Olimar is because Olimar kills earlier than Mario and the range on his attacks gives him an advantage in punishing certain mistakes when Mario is put on the defensive. Case in point: Xero the ITG Penguin from Las Vegas beat my Mario at EVO 2010 not through camping, but through aggressive tactics, approaching and closing distance with his running grab, aerials, and Smashes. Other Olimars who play the matchup by camping me rather than taking intelligent risks usually get 2stocked by me.

It's entirely winnable for Mario though and totally based on momentum for the most part when the matchup is played correctly. Rich Brown for the record recently stated he thinks Mario beats Olimar. I disagree, but it's definitely a good matchup for him overall.
tl:dr - A2Z thinks Mario is Metaknight with fireballs.

A2ZOMG

Smash Legend
NNID
A2ZOMG
Switch FC
SW 8400 1713 9427
Quite the opposite. Metaknight fails against Olimar's camping in a lot of ways but can punish Olimar really hard for taking an unnecessary risk. While Mario is actually good when Olimar camps, but doesn't have as many answers when Olimar takes more risks.

Sleek Media

Smash Lord
I'm not sure I see why Mario's attacks are safe on block vs Oli. How does having any aerial blocked not result in getting shieldgrabbed or dsmashed?

A2ZOMG

Smash Legend
NNID
A2ZOMG
Switch FC
SW 8400 1713 9427
Olimar's grab is like frame 11 or something, and if Mario lands with his B-air, N-air, or U-air correctly, they can be as low as -6 on block, which means you can literally do an aerial, land, and Jab which will hit him before he can do anything out of shield. If he spotdodges or rolls in this situation chances are he's still going to get hit.

Top Bottom