• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Mario Boards: General Discussion

Dory

Smash Journeyman
yea im down to play shoddy or ds. ds youll see the team i made with my bare hands.... shoddy youll see a copy of the team i made with my bare hands lol

this would be pretty cool actually xD

im kinda excited low key. lol

Edit: I kinda like PBR :'[ it just makes me feel like a real pokemon trainers D: lol i dont have it nor will i get it, but its alright :D

Dory

Smash Journeyman
Netbattles lame :p

shoddy is cool.

its a cute little pikachu as the icon. cmon that just shows how awesome it is lol

Dory

Smash Journeyman
bump...

is this gonna be happening soon or... lol

:]

Matt07

Smash Master
I finally have nothing planned for this weekend. I can finally relax :), and EV train my Slowking.

Also has anyone read about the Bowser infinite on MK? Also works on Mario too wtf this better not be another 10:90 (or 20:80) match-up -_-. Although I'm glad it works on MK :bee: lol.

Liquid Gen

Smash Ace
As far as I know, an infinite is not possible on Mario (though perhaps if we did a small step walk, but I'm not sure if that would work on Mario).

however, with perfect timing and a forced ground break, we could:

Grab
GR Pivot Grab
GR dash grab
GR Pivot Grab
GR dash grab

etc etc.

EDIT: so after testing it, Mario can be regrabbed by a small step grab. So this means Mario can be pseudo-infinited, as long as I can force you to ground break by reading your button mashings.
But if you get airbreaked from my mistake, i can still fair you out of the airbreak, lol.

I recommend not getting grabbed.

KirinBlaze

Smash Lord
NNID
KirinBlaze
Well, Bowser did have one of the most underdeveloped meta games. Then Gen went to Indiana and had an epiphany, and here we are now. **** you, Indiana. -Shakes fist.-

SkylerOcon

Tiny Dancer
Bowser has an pseudo-infinite on Mario now? ****! That's pretty lame. I know I don't have to worry about it that much though, because Bowser is pretty underused.

@Pokemon tourney: Starting Sunday I'm going to be out of town until Thursday, so you guys can either get started now or wait for me to get back.

Please wait? I actually have a chance against you guys. I get wrecked in Poke Center tournies. <_<

KirinBlaze

Smash Lord
NNID
KirinBlaze
Ok guys. So remeber Matt's whole thing with that random Fthrow thing? Where from Low %'s they'd sometimes just bounce off the ground instead of landing standing up? Well I was just screwing around in Training mode on Fast Faller's and Heavys and I noticed that from 7% - 10% they will always bounce off the ground. So after a Fthrow from these percents you use a Fireball. If they miss the tech the fireball hits and locks them. From here you can Dash>Shield Cancel>Fsmash. You can charge the Fsmash to about half before having to release it. The same goes for Dsmash. You can just dash charge Usmash and get about a half charged one too. I don't remember us going over it in that topic so if this is known forgive me.

If you're feeling fancy you can wait a second after the fireball hits then Pivot grab them. xD You can also TRY to do Fthrow>Fireball>Pivot Grab>Fthrow>Fireball>Pivot Grab/Whatever.

The pivot grab stuff is escapable I'm sure after a while, but it looks cool.

This probably isn't extremely pratcial but I thought I'd just tell you guys.

Matt07

Smash Master
Wow Kirin's that pretty cool :O. Situational but still racks up a good amount of damage if pulled off. You can easily rack up 7-10% damage from two Fireballs, utilts, jabs, etc.

I'm starting to miss not playing human opponents, but I must not get back to WiFi xD.

fromundaman

Henshin a go-go Baby!
NNID
Fromundaman
3DS FC
2105-9186-1496
Question: Can't Mario UpB out of every ground release Bowser can do?
Sure, it wasn't a top Bowser player, but recently I played a decent Bowser with my Mario, and he couldn't seem to regrab if I UpBed.

A2ZOMG

Smash Legend
NNID
A2ZOMG
Switch FC
SW 8400 1713 9427
Let's see, Bowser has a 10 frame adv. His standing grab is 9-10. Dashgrab is 10. Jab is 6. That's him not having optimal timing.

KirinBlaze

Smash Lord
NNID
KirinBlaze
Oh, about the fireball lock thing. A good way to set this up, from 0% of course, would be SHFireball>Grab>Pummel>Fthrow>Fireball. If they airdodge out of the Fthrow or tech it they'll take the fireball hit. So it's definitely worth trying since the risk of punishment is minimal.

Liquid Gen

Smash Ace
Let's see, Bowser has a 10 frame adv. His standing grab is 9-10. Dashgrab is 10. Jab is 6. That's him not having optimal timing.
Jab is 5 frames, A2.

And no, you can not up b out of grab release, only if the Bowser isnt ******** (i'm sure the one you played fromun was such a Bowser).

A2ZOMG

Smash Legend
NNID
A2ZOMG
Switch FC
SW 8400 1713 9427
Jab is 5 frames, A2.

And no, you can not up b out of grab release, only if the Bowser isnt ******** (i'm sure the one you played fromun was such a Bowser).
Check your frame data next time. It's stickied. Jab is listed as 6 frames.

DtJ XeroXen

The biggest fraud
NNID
XeroXen
The first post of the thread says that its hard to do on Mario, and hardly worth the effort.

What's with all the ****ing infininates all of a sudden? WE NEED A MARIO INFINITE ON MK NOW! Lol

Matt07

Smash Master
The weaker part of n-air (and b-air) has the similar properties to Sheik's b-air. But we have no true follow up of a footstool, so we can't really test it. I'd love if we found something like that though.

DtJ XeroXen

The biggest fraud
NNID
XeroXen
DUDE, I was just about to post that. Get a footstool to Fast falled unsweetspoted nair and you get a jablock setup, dude.

I was testing it out because of the shiek thing today, it works REALLY WELL if you get the footstool.

The only problem is getting the footstool.

A2ZOMG

Smash Legend
NNID
A2ZOMG
Switch FC
SW 8400 1713 9427
Oh right, too bad U-tilt -> Footstool doesn't quite work.

You might be able to sneak one in from FIHL. Then you do like Cape momentum stall -> lock.

KirinBlaze

Smash Lord
NNID
KirinBlaze
Famous was talking to me about this at APEX. I think he called it Isai Dropping. You'd Bair onto the platform then quickly fall through and Bair again. The result is this barrage of Bair on then through the platform. It's extremely quick and effective.

Matador

Maybe Even...Utopian?
Just by sight, I've been able to infer that cape doesn't suffer shield stun. Can somebody test this for me? It'd probably explain why capejump is so amazing vs grab-happy characters.

Also, I've wondered whether or not you can really shieldgrab Mario out of Dair. I know I've seen a bunch of people try and fail at it, but it'd comfort me to know whether or not it's possible.

A2ZOMG

Smash Legend
NNID
A2ZOMG
Switch FC
SW 8400 1713 9427
I HIGHLY doubt you can shieldgrab Mario between hits. Now what about the last hit?

Alright, let's do some math. http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=219407&highlight=Frame+data

Dair
Hit: 5-25
End: 37
Shield hitlag difference
-First hit: 0
-Last hit: 0
-Landing hit: 0
Shield stun
-First hit: 1
-Last hit: 2
-Landing hit: 1
Landing lag: 19
Autocancels: ~33+
Advantage
-First hit: -31
-Last hit: -10
-Landing hit: -18
Advantage (landed)
First hit: -18
Last hit: -17

EDIT: So hmmm...standard grabs are 6 frames (none are faster than that). Hmmm...they have 4 frames to get you (not counting the 3 frame startup time of N-air).

Now obviously, you're not going to D-air the shields of dudes that can Up-B you out of shield...You know, Marth, Bowser, and Mario lmao.

Matador

Maybe Even...Utopian?
Excellent. Much obliged A2. D3 boards are probably coming to us after the Luigi boards and I need to be ready.

A2ZOMG

Smash Legend
NNID
A2ZOMG
Switch FC
SW 8400 1713 9427
Lol, I had no idea the lag on Mario's D-air was that low. 8 frames of ending lag and a -10 shield advantage is really awesome lmao. It's a shame it isn't like G&W's Up-smash...(which has -8 shield advantage. <_<)

Oh wait...I lied. I still suck at math. D=

More accurately...they can shieldgrab you out of the last hit if you don't space well...

Frame attack ends -> 6 frames to grab -> 4 frames leftover before you can attack.

Matador

Maybe Even...Utopian?
Lol, I had no idea the lag on Mario's D-air was that low. 8 frames of ending lag and a -10 shield advantage is really awesome lmao. It's a shame it isn't like G&W's Up-smash...(which has -8 shield advantage. <_<)
Don't know if you already knew this, but Dair last hit -> DJ Uair = true combo when done fast enough. Bo X7 has a few videos demonstrating this in action. It's an amazing aerial.

Edit: It should be alright if you don't end in front of them. I really just wanted to know if they can grab you during the attack while it's hitting the shield. If you land in front of someone shielding, you deserve to eat a grab.

A2ZOMG

Smash Legend
NNID
A2ZOMG
Switch FC
SW 8400 1713 9427
Don't know if you already knew this, but Dair last hit -> DJ Uair = true combo when done fast enough. Bo X7 has a few videos demonstrating this in action. It's an amazing aerial.
Yep it is.

And sorry about sucking at math. Gah...

More accurately...they can shieldgrab you out of the last hit if you don't space well...

Frame attack ends -> 6 frames to grab -> 4 frames leftover before you can attack.
I should be blaming Brawl for not having shieldstun now...Anyone with a 3 frame jab or less can also get you from a shield drop technically...

EDIT: All the hits are 5 frames within each other, so at least that's pretty solid evidence you cannot be shieldgrabbed between hits.

hippiedude92

Smash Hero
Matador and A2 is TOO good <3.

I've never been shieldgrabbed from my Dair LOL. It's WAYYYY too good. I think the only way they can shield grab us from a Dair is if they get port advantage where they grab you first but still take the hit (i.e super armor i think?) . It's happened to me very few times but eh.

Matador

Maybe Even...Utopian?
Matador and A2 is TOO good <3.

I've never been shieldgrabbed from my Dair LOL. It's WAYYYY too good. I think the only way they can shield grab us from a Dair is if they get port advantage where they grab you first but still take the hit (i.e super armor i think?) . It's happened to me very few times but eh.
O_O

I thought the port only mattered for Bowser/Kirbycides! Why is this game so broken?

DtJ XeroXen

The biggest fraud
NNID
XeroXen
Nah, ports also have grab priority and grab immunity.

If two characters grab at the exact same time, the one with higher grab priority (higher port) wins.

If a grenade goes off while you're holding a person, the person with the lower grab immunity (lower port) doesn't go flying.

Don't know if the grab priority works with attacks, I know I've grabbed CF's Sweetspotted Knee while still taking the damage.

ThatGuy

Smash Master
What the heck. SH Dair -> DJ Uair -> UpB. No one does this yet? It's around 35%-38% and if you can't possibly get the Uair, an UpB is still viable until mid % anyways.

Seriously from 0% you can do a couple Utilts into that combo to get your opponent to 50% very fast.

Matador

Maybe Even...Utopian?
I don't do the upB much anymore. Most people are SDI-ing at that point so they can get out of it. It's good for a first time or so, but it's rather risky.

Top Bottom